PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin: "We will unleash hell here in December..."

SteelerNation1
12-01-2009, 12:08 PM
What do you think he means by this? I'm hoping it means we WILL win out and enter the playoffs on a 5 game streak.

Iron Shiek
12-01-2009, 12:23 PM
I hope it means the players and coaches are going to get their a$ses chewed and a fire lit under them.

Whatever that means...

JTP53609
12-01-2009, 12:52 PM
he really does not talk much about stuff like this it is always the "one game at a time", so maybe he is really serious about this and means it, i hope so, bc with our talent we should be 8-3 at least....we will be 11-5 this season...

papillon
12-01-2009, 12:54 PM
I wish he hadn't said it at all. It's not like the players haven't been trying up to this point in the season to make it fair for the other teams in the NFL. How do you become more than what you are at this late stage of the season? If they can turn it on now that they are on the precipice of elimination, why not turn it on three weeks ago when they could have taken control of the division and their fate?

I'm not sure I like this rhetoric from Tomlin, but, it's out there and now the Steelers have to unleash Hell in December. Get better? Cover better? Make key stops in the 4th quarter? Cover punts and kickoffs better? Better in the red zone?

Pappy

MeetJoeGreene
12-01-2009, 01:05 PM
For me to believe this, I will need to see CONVINCING, DOMINATING wins ( I am talking 45-3) against Oakland and Cleveland.

Followed by a comfortable win over Baltimore (27-13).

Other characteristics of these wins would be:

No big special teams play against us.
William Gay doesn't look like a nancy.
Our 4th quarter defense doesn't give up muliple scores or big drives.
100+ yard games from Mendy.
Big Ben returns to looking sharp.

SteelerNation1
12-01-2009, 01:12 PM
William Gay doesn't look like a nancy.

What do you expect with a name like Gay? 8) Seriously, I would be happy just playing 4 straight quarters of "above the line" football. We have yet to do that this season.

flippy
12-01-2009, 01:17 PM
I like it.

All this garbage about winning the division, getting home field advantage, getting a bye, etc. is a bunch of hogwash. All that matters is how well you are playing in the last month of the season heading into the playoffs.

Just get in.

And if you make it into the playoffs by unleashing hell in December, that momentum might be good enough to carry you to the next Lombardi.

The 11-0, 10-1, etc teams have done as much as our 6-5 team to this point....Nothing....

How will we respond when it matters?

NW Steeler
12-01-2009, 01:26 PM
:Agree

With Flippy.

I'd rather have Tomlin say something like this rather than his normal weekly response. I don't think we've heard him say something like this before. The proof is in the pudding though. Now they need to do it on the field. I really thought that it would have happened before now, but the urgency is at crisis level now....so GO UNLEASH HELL!!!!!!
:tt2

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2009, 01:45 PM
I'd love to see our team play hungry and nasty in December...making the playoffs with some momentum as the team no one wants to play. If you were the 11-0 Colts, who clinched their division already, would you like to see the Steelers...with Ben and Troy back...come to Lucas Oil Stadium for a divisional playoff game after you played Peyton for maybe one half in week 16, maybe one series in week 17, and then have a bye week during wildcard weekend?

Oviedo
12-01-2009, 01:48 PM
I thought he meant that he was selling his soul to the devil and a chasm would open up next to Heinz Field and demons and other nasties from Hell would come out and murder and maim. And all the "haters" and "fake fans" would be sucked into this chasm and dwell in the pits of Hell under eternal torment where they belong. There would then be a great made for TV movie made that had the Steelers winning the Super Bowl.

Maybe I misunderstood????

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2009, 02:28 PM
And all the "haters" and "fake fans" would be sucked into this chasm and dwell in the pits of Hell under eternal torment where they belong.

Eternal torment?

They become Browns fans?

That's pretty harsh, even by demon standards. :twisted:

:brownssuck

SteelerNation1
12-01-2009, 02:40 PM
I thought he meant that he was selling his soul to the devil and a chasm would open up next to Heinz Field and demons and other nasties from Hell would come out and murder and maim. And all the "haters" and "fake fans" would be sucked into this chasm and dwell in the pits of Hell under eternal torment where they belong. There would then be a great made for TV movie made that had the Steelers winning the Super Bowl.

I think that is what is going to happen when the Steelers switch to 4-3 defense. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm kidding Ov.

Oviedo
12-01-2009, 02:45 PM

I think that is what is going to happen when the Steelers switch to 4-3 defense. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm kidding Ov.

I just sit and smile knowingly about what will come to pass. :D :D :D

papillon
12-01-2009, 02:49 PM

I just sit and smile knowingly about what will come to pass. :D :D :D

Even stopped clocks are correct twice a day. :moon :P

Pappy

Steeler Shades
12-01-2009, 03:34 PM
What do you think he means by this?
Nothing.
8)

rpmpit
12-01-2009, 03:39 PM
When I first heard it the other night, I liked it. Then I started thinking along the same lines as some of you - why start now? And except for getting some key guys healthy, what's going to be different??

I also wished he'd picked a different movie to quote. Although I love Gladiator, Ray-Ray is always talking about how the movie fires him up before games. Must be all the blood and stabbing :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2009, 03:59 PM
When I first heard it the other night, I liked it. Then I started thinking along the same lines as some of you - why start now? And except for getting some key guys healthy, what's going to be different??

I also wished he'd picked a different movie to quote. Although I love Gladiator, Ray-Ray is always talking about how the movie fires him up before games. Must be all the blood and stabbing :lol:

Coach Epps must have been fired up by my epic sig. :mrgreen:

rpmpit
12-01-2009, 04:15 PM

Coach Epps must have been fired up by my epic sig. :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

True Fan
12-01-2009, 04:33 PM
has tomlin grown tired of his own 'splash' play rubbish?

eniparadoxgma
12-01-2009, 06:31 PM
has tomlin grown tired of his own 'splash' play rubbish?

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7286/1255649745924.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/i/1255649745924.jpg/)

Sugar
12-01-2009, 06:35 PM
As a parent, it seems to me that it means what I would mean. That is, this job WILL get done and if it doesn't there will be extreme amounts of "discomfort" to go around.

He has been fairly calm, reasonable and cerebral in his approach thus far. Apparently, the time for that approach is close to over. Punish or be punished. Bring the pain or take it.

Despite the fat salary, I'm not thinking I would want to be in practice the day after the next loss this year.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Re: Tomlin: "We will unleash hell here in December..."

That would be good. What I would like to know is, why did they have to wait until December?

To me, it's an admission that they've been COMPLACENT. And once again, I give you that three-word explanation (you guessed it) -- Super Bowl hangover.

BURGH86STEEL
12-01-2009, 11:08 PM
I wish he hadn't said it at all. It's not like the players haven't been trying up to this point in the season to make it fair for the other teams in the NFL. How do you become more than what you are at this late stage of the season? If they can turn it on now that they are on the precipice of elimination, why not turn it on three weeks ago when they could have taken control of the division and their fate?

I'm not sure I like this rhetoric from Tomlin, but, it's out there and now the Steelers have to unleash Hell in December. Get better? Cover better? Make key stops in the 4th quarter? Cover punts and kickoffs better? Better in the red zone?

Pappy

I don't put much stock into what coaches say or don't say to the media but I wish he did not say it either. Fans will twist and turn that comment into whatever they want it to mean. Tomlin does not appear to be an unintelligent man. Is this his way of taking pressure off the players and placing all the criticism on himself?

At the end of the day, talk is cheap. Tomlin can unleash all the hell he wants with words. It is up to the players to perform on the field. If the players continue to make mistakes, this team will continue to be inconsistent.

NW Steeler
12-02-2009, 02:49 AM
I honestly wonder what some of you would like to hear Tomlin say? He is criticized for saying his little catch phrases over and over. When he shows some fire and says they are going to "unleash hell" he is criticized. I'm glad he said it. Their backs are to the wall. I don't think that they are complacent. They have shortcomings like every other team in the NFL. They are playing against other teams that have legitimate NFL talent. Yeah, we are spoiled as Steeler fans. We expect more than most other fans. But I beleieve for the most part that these guys are playing their asses off. Tomlin said when the SB was over last year that they were not defending their title. This was going to be a different team with different challenges that was trying to win the SB like eeryone else. I guess he was a little prophetic. They have a big challenge in front of them now. I for one am glad that he has verbalized his recognition of the position that they are in. Now go beat he hell out of the next 5 teams on the schedule!

:2c

True Fan
12-02-2009, 06:17 AM
well, he's fooled many fans with his 'splash' plays mumbojumbo, now the 'real' fans will be repeating his 'unleash hell' phrase and buy into it.

papillon
12-02-2009, 11:15 AM
well, he's fooled many fans with his 'splash' plays mumbojumbo, now the 'real' fans will be repeating his 'unleash hell' phrase and buy into it.

If you read through this thread you would see that most fans (at least on this site) wished he hadn't said it. I can't speak to the "real" fans, but, here, by and large we all believe it was a mistake. Saying it and actually doing it are two different things. If they can unleash it in December, why didn't they unleash it November when they could have put themselves in a better position?

That doesn't make him a bad coach though.

Pappy

Steeler Mafia
12-02-2009, 11:17 AM

As it was previously stated above......

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7286/1255649745924.jpg

aggiebones
12-02-2009, 12:17 PM
"I'd rather have Tomlin say something like this rather than his normal weekly response. "

He has ALWAYS said more than most coaches on a routine basis. Occasionally you find a Parcells or someone who can't keep his mouth shut if goaded into stuff. But the norm is tip lipped coaches like Bill B, etc.

Sugar
12-02-2009, 12:54 PM
I, for one, have no problem that he said it. It seems to me that it may have been directed at his own team as well as the other teams on the schedule.

There was no need to "unleash hell" in October/November because you have a team that, for the most part, had shown themselves to be top-notch professionals who had the mental strength to get things done. A few losses can be chalked up to this or that, but when they pile up you kind of have to take a "no more Mr. Nice Guy" approach.

"Unleash Hell" if you will.

LordVile
12-02-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm glad he said it, as their backs are against the wall and "unleashing hell" is exactly what it's gunna take for us to win out... we'll see if they walk the walk, I wanna see the Steelers playing smash mouth and takin no prisoners, even hurting ppl if need be.

LasVegasGuy
12-02-2009, 05:41 PM

If you read through this thread you would see that most fans (at least on this site) wished he hadn't said it. I can't speak to the "real" fans, but, here, by and large we all believe it was a mistake. Saying it and actually doing it are two different things. If they can unleash it in December, why didn't they unleash it November when they could have put themselves in a better position?

Pappy

You're right. Being 6-5 with the same exact team you won the Super Bowl with makes you a bad coach. Wasn't he the one that preached this team wasn't going to have a let down this year during trainign camp. Now he says we need to "unleash hell" in December? Couldn't we have "unleashed hell" in September, October and November and took December off?

NW Steeler
12-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Hmmmm....

:HeadBanger

BURGH86STEEL
12-02-2009, 06:25 PM
I honestly wonder what some of you would like to hear Tomlin say? He is criticized for saying his little catch phrases over and over. When he shows some fire and says they are going to "unleash hell" he is criticized. I'm glad he said it. Their backs are to the wall. I don't think that they are complacent. They have shortcomings like every other team in the NFL. They are playing against other teams that have legitimate NFL talent. Yeah, we are spoiled as Steeler fans. We expect more than most other fans. But I beleieve for the most part that these guys are playing their asses off. Tomlin said when the SB was over last year that they were not defending their title. This was going to be a different team with different challenges that was trying to win the SB like eeryone else. I guess he was a little prophetic. They have a big challenge in front of them now. I for one am glad that he has verbalized his recognition of the position that they are in. Now go beat he hell out of the next 5 teams on the schedule!

:2c

I don't believe the team is complacent either. I don't believe they are a poorly coached team. Complacent and poorly coached teams are not in every game with chances to win. I've stated this over and over, mistakes on the field are killing this team more then anything else. I will add injuries as a close second.

If the team fails to unleash hell, the irrational fans will state Tomlin is a poor coach, he only won with BC's players, to be fired, or any other nonsense that comes into their minds. It just provides more ground for Tomlin to be criticized. That's why I wish he did not say it. Maybe it's just Tomlin's way of placing all the heat on himself? I doubt Tomlin cares what the fans or media has to say. It is really hard to stomach the fans that are so down on him and this team after 2 playoff seasons and a SB victory.

Regardless of how this team finishes, I believe Tomlin deserves and will get a contract extension.

SteelStallion
12-02-2009, 07:20 PM
I don't see much unleashing to be had unless they think Keenan Lewis or Joe Burnett is ready to play and they 'unleash' one of them in place of one our struggling players, or Troy's knee miraculously heals. I think they're stuck for the time being.

Flasteel
12-02-2009, 07:54 PM
What do you think he means by this? I'm hoping it means we WILL win out and enter the playoffs on a 5 game streak.

Very Christmasy...I like it.

AngryAsian
12-02-2009, 08:36 PM

Your comedy stylings bring unparalleled value to this board. :lol: :lol: :lol:

papillon
12-02-2009, 09:58 PM

Pappy

You're right. Being 6-5 with the same exact team you won the Super Bowl with makes you a bad coach. Wasn't he the one that preached this team wasn't going to have a let down this year during trainign camp. Now he says we need to "unleash hell" in December? Couldn't we have "unleashed hell" in September, October and November and took December off?

You never want to take December off that's when you get ready for playoff football. You hate him, we get it, he isn't getting fired for missing the playoffs (if that should happen) and I believe the Rooneys think they have a winner and he gets extended before his contract is up.

There's nothing in the past that gives the impression that the Rooneys would fire a coach after a bad season. Bill Cowher had a 3 year stretch where he didn't win more than 7 games and they weathered the storm, because, they knew what they had in the man and his football acumen.

Mike Tomlin is still growing into the job and by all accounts the players believe in him.

Pappy

Starlifter
12-02-2009, 10:28 PM
call me old fashioned, but when a head coach wins a superbowl - i generally give a 3 year cushion before i declare he sucks.

of course tomlin has some options if it doesn't work out. he can always fall back on his custodial skills.....

LasVegasGuy
12-02-2009, 11:44 PM

Pappy

You never want to take December off that's when you get ready for playoff football. You hate him, we get it, he isn't getting fired for missing the playoffs (if that should happen) and I believe the Rooneys think they have a winner and he gets extended before his contract is up.

There's nothing in the past that gives the impression that the Rooneys would fire a coach after a bad season. Bill Cowher had a 3 year stretch where he didn't win more than 7 games and they weathered the storm, because, they knew what they had in the man and his football acumen.

Mike Tomlin is still growing into the job and by all accounts the players believe in him.

Pappy

I have already come to grips with the reality that he will probably be extended. Doesn't mean I have to like/agree with it.

feelthesteel
12-03-2009, 01:03 AM
Talk is cheap.

SteelAbility
12-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Unleash hell? At this point I'll settle for a hard-faught 3 point victory. :moon

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Being 6-5 with the same exact team you won the Super Bowl with makes you a bad coach.

What does being 8-8 with the same exact team you won the Super Bowl with makes you?

In 2006, a team coached by Bill Cowher, Ken Whisenhunt, Dick LeBeau, Russ Grimm and others turned a defending Super Bowl champion into a .500 record. I thought you liked all of those coaches? I guess they blow...

BradshawsHairdresser
12-03-2009, 12:48 PM

Pappy

Pappy

In pro football, if you want to be successful, you have to give it your best ALL the time:
60 minutes a game...45 or 50 or even 55 minutes is NOT good enough; EVERY month...
you can't "slack off" in September, nor in December. The indication from Tomlin's comments is that he (and the team) gave something LESS than their best up until now.
That would jibe with what we've seen on the field--ST miscues, defensive collapses, offensive sloppiness, poor play-calling. Anything less than "unleashing hell" all season long is unacceptable. It's not easy to overcome the complacency that would naturally set in after winning a Super Bowl, but, after all, isn't that why these guys get paid the big bucks?

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Couldn't we have "unleashed hell" in September, October and November and took December off?

Tomlin's always been an even-keeled guy, unlike the fiery Cowher. Treating his team like professionals instead of yelling at them was successful in his first season when he made the playoffs coming off of an 8-8 season, and was even more successful in his second season, leading his team to a Super Bowl victory. Coming into this season, there was no reason to suggest that a monumental shift in coaching style was necessary. Although we stumbled a bit in September with two early road losses, Tomlin did not overreact, and we managed to run off 5 victories in a row. Now that we have hit another rough patch with 3 straight losses in November, Tomlin realized that it is time to shake things up a bit by "unleashing hell" in December. If you bring on the fire and brimstone early, then ease off the accelerator, it is tough to get that edge back in January, when we start to play for all the marbles.

LasVegasGuy
12-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Being 6-5 with the same exact team you won the Super Bowl with makes you a bad coach.

What does being 8-8 with the same exact team you won the Super Bowl with makes you?

In 2006, a team coached by Bill Cowher, Ken Whisenhunt, bad word LeBeau, Russ Grimm and others turned a defending Super Bowl champion into a .500 record. I thought you liked all of those coaches? I guess they blow...

A broadcaster looking for your next head coaching gig.

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2009, 05:15 PM

In 2006, a team coached by Bill Cowher, Ken Whisenhunt, bad word LeBeau, Russ Grimm and others turned a defending Super Bowl champion into a .500 record. I thought you liked all of those coaches? I guess they blow...

And likely an $8 million per year salary. Ka-ching!

LasVegasGuy
12-03-2009, 05:22 PM

Not bad for an 8-8 coach who helped build the team that Tomlin has now. Let's see how far Tomlin falls when Cowher comes calling for Lebeau and Colbert? For Tomlin's sake we should only pray Cowher doesn't come back to coaching. Look how bad Tomlin was in hiring the offensive coordinator can you imagine the "Tampa 2" douche he would find to run our defense when Lebeau leaves? Oh! Brother.

steelsnis
12-03-2009, 05:46 PM
LVG,

This is seriously the worst logic ever. By your "logic" there can never be a successful coach on an NFL team!! Never!

Every single coach that is hired inherits a majority of the previous coaches regime. So the fact that the Steelers are a well-run organization that has a history of success, a new coach is probably not going to walk into a situation where the cupboard is bare (like in St. Louis this year).

Why does it seem that you'd rather have a coach that has to start from scratch with Zero talent, than have a well-run team that brings a new guy into a good situation.

Bill Cowher stepped into the Steelers job with the following players already in place: Barry Foster, Dermontti Dawson, Eric Green, Carleton Haselrig, Merril Hoge, John Jackson, Carnell Lake, Louis Lipps, Greg Lloyd, Ernie Mills, Hardy Nickerson, Neil O'Donnell and one guy who was kinda prominent on Cowher's teams, what was his name??? Oh right, ROD WOODSON.
Don't make it seem like Tomlin is some moron who walked into a perfect gig. That's what happens with well-run teams. They rarely bottom out.

I don't get what you want. You want to judge Tomlin after every single player or assistant coach from the Cowher-era is gone? That's asinine. It just doesn't work that way.

frankthetank1
12-03-2009, 05:50 PM

Not bad for an 8-8 coach who helped build the team that Tomlin has now. Let's see how far Tomlin falls when Cowher comes calling for Lebeau and Colbert? For Tomlin's sake we should only pray Cowher doesn't come back to coaching. Look how bad Tomlin was in hiring the offensive coordinator can you imagine the "Tampa 2" douche he would find to run our defense when Lebeau leaves? Oh! Brother.

there are a lot of players that were key last season that were drafted while tomlin has been the coach. there were a lot of players that were drafted while chuck noll was the coach when cowher was hired. the steelers did go two seasons before last year's sb so its not like its a similar situation with barry switzer or anything. why would lebeau want to coach with cowher? at one point they didnt get along very well. even though they eventually patched things up im sure lebeau isnt a huge fan of cowher. i also wouldnt think colbert would want any other job then the one he currently has.

LasVegasGuy
12-03-2009, 06:36 PM
LVG,

This is seriously the worst logic ever. By your "logic" there can never be a successful coach on an NFL team!! Never!

Every single coach that is hired inherits a majority of the previous coaches regime. So the fact that the Steelers are a well-run organization that has a history of success, a new coach is probably not going to walk into a situation where the cupboard is bare (like in St. Louis this year).

Why does it seem that you'd rather have a coach that has to start from scratch with Zero talent, than have a well-run team that brings a new guy into a good situation.

Bill Cowher stepped into the Steelers job with the following players already in place: Barry Foster, Dermontti Dawson, Eric Green, Carleton Haselrig, Merril Hoge, John Jackson, Carnell Lake, Louis Lipps, Greg Lloyd, Ernie Mills, Hardy Nickerson, Neil O'Donnell and one guy who was kinda prominent on Cowher's teams, what was his name??? Oh right, ROD WOODSON.
Don't make it seem like Tomlin is some moron who walked into a perfect gig. That's what happens with well-run teams. They rarely bottom out.

I don't get what you want. You want to judge Tomlin after every single player or assistant coach from the Cowher-era is gone? That's asinine. It just doesn't work that way.

Caldwell of the Colts is 11-0 as a rookie head coach. He must be the real deal at 11-0, right? Take away Manning, who by the way Caldwell inherited, and the Colts are probably 2-9 at best.

Why do you think Tomlin's situation is any different? Did he not fall into the same situation as Caldwell.

2009 Rookie Head Coaches. Other then Raheem Morris these coaches are living up to their expectation of what they inherited.

2008 Coach 2009
8-8 Josh McDaniels 7-4
2-14 Todd Haley 3-8
9-7 Rex Ryan 5-6
9-7 Raheem Morris 1-10
12-4 Jim Caldwell 11-0
5-11 Tom Cable 3-8
0-16 Jim Schwartz 2-9
7-9 Mike Singletary 5-6
2-14 Steve Spagnuolo 1-10
4-12 Eric Mangini 1-10

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2009, 07:32 PM
LVG,

Caldwell of the Colts is 11-0 as a rookie head coach. He must be the real deal at 11-0, right? Take away Manning, who by the way Caldwell inherited, and the Colts are probably 2-9 at best.

Why do you think Tomlin's situation is any different? Did he not fall into the same situation as Caldwell.

2009 Rookie Head Coaches. Other then Raheem Morris these coaches are living up to their expectation of what they inherited.

2008 Coach 2009
8-8 Josh McDaniels 7-4
2-14 Todd Haley 3-8
9-7 Rex Ryan 5-6
9-7 Raheem Morris 1-10
12-4 Jim Caldwell 11-0
5-11 Tom Cable 3-8
0-16 Jim Schwartz 2-9
7-9 Mike Singletary 5-6
4-12 Eric Mangini 1-10

More talented teams win more games? Wow! Brilliant!

Expectations for coaches differ depending on the situation a new coach finds himself in. If Jim Schwartz or Steve Spagnuolo has the Lions or Rams in the neighborhood of .500 within the first few seasons, then they are hailed as good coaches, since those organizations suffered with 4 wins or less for many years in a row during an ongoing rebuilding process. Mike Smith and Tony Sparano transformed the Falcons and Dolphins from teams drafting at the top of the first round to playoff contenders. That was a good coaching job, bringing those teams from poor to good.

With coaches like Caldwell and Tomlin, taking over quality teams like the Colts and Steelers, they have the equally difficult task of taking good teams and making them great. True success is measured in the playoffs, and ultimately with how many trophies you win. We'll see what happens with Caldwell in that area a month from now. But thus far in Tomlin's head coaching career, he is 3-1 in the playoffs with one title in his 2 seasons so far. Although people are talking about this team as if it were a 1-10 disaster, the playoffs are not out of the picture for this season either. Tomlin has accomplished the primary goal for a coach in a very short amount of time on the job. How you can overlook that is beyond me.

I think I understand your basic point...that it does take time to truly evaluate head coaches...you can't be successful if you fire coaches every other season, and two years does not make a Hall of Fame career...but you don't seem to be able to express it in a logical way so people can take you seriously here. You simply say that Tomlin blows and should be fired, which is ignorant and delusional.

papillon
12-03-2009, 09:30 PM
LVG,

2008 Coach 2009
8-8 Josh McDaniels 7-4
2-14 Todd Haley 3-8
9-7 Rex Ryan 5-6
9-7 Raheem Morris 1-10
12-4 Jim Caldwell 11-0
5-11 Tom Cable 3-8
0-16 Jim Schwartz 2-9
7-9 Mike Singletary 5-6
4-12 Eric Mangini 1-10

More talented teams win more games? Wow! Brilliant!

Expectations for coaches differ depending on the situation a new coach finds himself in. If Jim Schwartz or Steve Spagnuolo has the Lions or Rams in the neighborhood of .500 within the first few seasons, then they are hailed as good coaches, since those organizations suffered with 4 wins or less for many years in a row during an ongoing rebuilding process. Mike Smith and Tony Sparano transformed the Falcons and Dolphins from teams drafting at the top of the first round to playoff contenders. That was a good coaching job, bringing those teams from poor to good.

With coaches like Caldwell and Tomlin, taking over quality teams like the Colts and Steelers, they have the equally difficult task of taking good teams and making them great. True success is measured in the playoffs, and ultimately with how many trophies you win. We'll see what happens with Caldwell in that area a month from now. But thus far in Tomlin's head coaching career, he is 3-1 in the playoffs with one title in his 2 seasons so far. Although people are talking about this team as if it were a 1-10 disaster, the playoffs are not out of the picture for this season either. Tomlin has accomplished the primary goal for a coach in a very short amount of time on the job. How you can overlook that is beyond me.

I think I understand your basic point...that it does take time to truly evaluate head coaches...you can't be successful if you fire coaches every other season, and two years does not make a Hall of Fame career...but you don't seem to be able to express it in a logical way so people can take you seriously here. You simply say that Tomlin blows and should be fired, which is ignorant and delusional.

Don't waste your time.

Pappy

Steeler Shades
12-06-2009, 07:24 PM
What do you think he means by this?Nothing.
Like I said: Nothing. Maybe he'll really mean it against the Browns. 8)