PDA

View Full Version : Gay is really out of position...

brothervad
12-01-2009, 12:24 AM
stated this earlier. The problem isn't that William Gay is a bad Corner, it's that he should have never been designated as starting corner.

I remembered reading this during the 2007 draft (From SI) it clearly states what this guy should and should not be...

William Gay
SELECTED BY: Pittsburgh Steelers Round 5(33) SI Grade
N/A

Position:
CB Class:
Sr School:
Louisville Conference:
Big East Ht., Wt.:
5-10, 184 40 Time:

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter who also played with the first team as a freshman. All-Conference selection last season after totaling 60/6/13.

POSITIVES: Tough, feisty cornerback with marginal speed. Displays good instincts, locates the pass in the air and has a decisive move defending the throw. Displays a sense of timing and shows a burst of closing speed. Gives effort defending the run.

NEGATIVES: Lacks top-end speed and struggles staying downfield with opponents. Undersized, and is easily blocked from the action.

ANALYSIS: Taking his game to another level last year, Gay showed enough skill and ability to get consideration as a zone cornerback in dime situations.

PROJECTION: Early Seventh Round

Looking at this write up I think there is a lot of accuracy in the weaknesses folks have been noticing. I think the point is this guy is a dime guy at best...but should not be starting.

I don't want to suggest that McFadden was a pro-bowler, but I think it's pretty obvious that this is a noticeable downgrade and should not have gone unattended to by the Steelers last off season.

(I know, I know hindsight 20/20...but this is why he isn't doing well...he wasn't really supposed to be a starter in the NFL).

brothervad

JTP53609
12-01-2009, 10:01 AM
i loved mcfadden and was really upset when he left...He does hold a special place in my heart for one play that I will alwasy remember..
2005 afc divisional playoff at indy. after jerome bettis's fumble, the colts are driving and down by 3, with under 1 minute left the colts take a shot at the endzone, peyton puts up a perfect ball to reggie wayne, it is a touchdwon 9 out of 10 times, BUT...McFadden makes a super terrific play to bat the ball down at the last second as he runs stride for stride with wayne....that play, even though underlooked so much, WON us that super bowl....
Mcfadden was really good other than just that, I miss him and wish we still had him, gay is nowhere near filling his shoes

Steel Life
12-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Watch the game between the Titans & the Cards...McFadden was torched all day.

Gay is a Cover-2 CB, who will get beat consistently in man coverage on deep posts or fly routes.

phillyesq
12-01-2009, 11:20 AM
If you notice, that pre-draft report listed Gay at 184. I believe he is now listed at 198. I remember reading over the offseason that he was bulking up to assume the starting role. I wonder if the extra weight took away too much speed and quickness.

frankthetank1
12-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Gay is a Cover-2 CB, who will get beat consistently in man coverage on deep posts or fly routes.

I have seen a good amount of the cards this season and mcfadden is not having a good season by any means. gay isnt the answer long term but paying mcfadden what he wanted would have been very stupid

Oviedo
12-01-2009, 11:31 AM

I have seen a good amount of the cards this season and mcfadden is not having a good season by any means. gay isnt the answer long term but paying mcfadden what he wanted would have been very stupid

I actually think McFadden screwed himself by not taking the Steelers offer for a longer term contract and playing his agents game of taking a short contract and getting back into the market. I have seen the same thing as you and McFadden isn't impressing anyone. he is what the Steelers pegged him as and that is a solid but not special CB and that is the offer he got from them. Sometimes players look better because of who is around them anbd the scheme they are in than they really are. IMO McFadden is an example of that.