PDA

View Full Version : Arians versus Lebeau

steelnavy
11-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Scenario - You have been told that you can only keep one of our two head coordinators. Which one do you keep? Reading some of the arguments on the board in the last 24 hours, it sounds like some of you Arians apologists would take Bruce almighty over D1ck. ARE YOU CRAZY?!?

How can anyone blame the D coordinator OVER THE O coordinator for the Steelers lousy record? So maybe the D did give up leads in several games. It happens, the other offenses do score points every now and then. MAYBE THE O SHOULD SCORE MORE POINTS. What a concept.

Who is rated #1 and who is not? Who was hired as a head coach, and who was fired as an offensive coordinator before coming to the Steelers? Who produces average quality year in and out and who excels almost all the time? And who gets no looks for a head coaching job after winning the SB?

Arians did not make calls to Dixon's strengths last night. He tried to make him a pocket passer. Arians does not regularly use common sense when he calls plays. He is not a cerebral kind of guy. When was the last gadget/trick play called that utilized the O's strength? He has no imagination. Just about the only time the offense shines is when BEN TAKES OVER and runs the no huddle.

Wasn't it Bruce who called that lousy play to end the playoff game with Jville a couple of years ago? Fourth and five, don't punt, instead design a play to have slow moving Ben keep the ball and try to run for a first? What about the Mewelde sweep to end the offenses woes last week? Bruce stinks it up in a big way.

SteelCrazy
12-01-2009, 12:09 AM
I agree with the OP....Arians is a boob

BURGH86STEEL
12-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Scenario - You have been told that you can only keep one of our two head coordinators. Which one do you keep? Reading some of the arguments on the board in the last 24 hours, it sounds like some of you Arians apologists would take Bruce almighty over D1ck. ARE YOU CRAZY?!?

How can anyone blame the D coordinator OVER THE O coordinator for the Steelers lousy record? So maybe the D did give up leads in several games. It happens, the other offenses do score points every now and then. MAYBE THE O SHOULD SCORE MORE POINTS. What a concept.

Who is rated #1 and who is not? Who was hired as a head coach, and who was fired as an offensive coordinator before coming to the Steelers? Who produces average quality year in and out and who excels almost all the time? And who gets no looks for a head coaching job after winning the SB?

Arians did not make calls to Dixon's strengths last night. He tried to make him a pocket passer. Arians does not regularly use common sense when he calls plays. He is not a cerebral kind of guy. When was the last gadget/trick play called that utilized the O's strength? He has no imagination. Just about the only time the offense shines is when BEN TAKES OVER and runs the no huddle.

Wasn't it Bruce who called that lousy play to end the playoff game with Jville a couple of years ago? Fourth and five, don't punt, instead design a play to have slow moving Ben keep the ball and try to run for a first? What about the Mewelde sweep to end the offenses woes last week? Bruce stinks it up in a big way.

I am not big on going after coordinators. One reason is because I or anyone else does not know what goes on. I think both our coordinators do a pretty good job. They have good moments and bad moments. The same can be said for most OC's and DC's around the league. The bottom line is the coaches always look good when the players do their jobs. I also know that no one every agrees with offensive play calling 100% of the time.

The problem is when the teams are scoring. Teams have driven down the field and scored points at the end of games against the defense. Rankings mean nothing at all when that happens.

I don't understand what some of you expected out of the game plan for Dixon. The man had two days to put something together. They ran the ball with some effectiveness to put the offense in some manageable situations. They used the play action with some effectiveness once they established the run. Unfortunately, Dixon misfired a couple of times and did not see open receivers in the 2nd half. There were some plays to be made in the passing game. If the players did not make the plays when they were there to be made, who is to blame?

How do you know Dixon's strengths? Did you expect Dixon to just run all over the Ravens? I don't believe the Ravens would had allowed that. They spied him after that TD run. I don't believe they ran that same blitz again for fear of getting burned by a Dixon run again. It appeared they played more zone to keep an eye on Dixon. I don't even know if Dixon is a good passer while on the move. At the end of the day, the kid was making his first start on the road. The defense gave up the game tying score.

If Essex makes the block(execution), Ben makes the play in Jacksonville. Remember, the Steelers had the lead at that point in the game. Who let the Jags drive down the field for the go ahead score? So, why put all the blame on the OC? This is the unfair weight on the scale.

I can't fault the coaches for trying to run a different play against the Chiefs. It was a play that they did not run all day. Guess they thought the would catch the Chiefs in a run blitz up the middle on that play. Give the Chiefs credit for making the stop. Again, who gave up the big play on 3rd down so the Chiefs could get into scoring position?
Another unfair weight on the scale.

Do you see a common theme with the defense giving up game tying or game winning scores?

LouSteel
12-01-2009, 10:26 AM
For individual games I completely agree with BURGH86STEEL.

It is silly to second-guess this play versus that one. We don't have all the data, we don't get game film, we cannot possibly know that a run on this play would be better than a pass.

BUT, when a team makes the same mistakes in almost every game, it is time to ask why the coaches are failing to prepare the players, or why the coaches are not putting their players in the best position to win a game.

This D has been in a rut. They cannot put games away.
Our O has been terribly inconsistent.

And while the players are responsible for executing in games, the coaches are responsible for getting those players ready and putting them in the best position.

We need to start asking the tough questions -- why is this team struggling so badly? I think we've got enough talent to run the table and win them all, but if we don't hold the coaches as accountable as you hold the players, that won't happen.

pfelix73
12-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Just remember- as a HOF QB says:

A coach won't win you the game, but he can sure lose it.......

Even though LeBeau is older than BA, if the 2 went to fight, LeBeau would kick BA's sorry a$$.... you asked- Arians Vs LeBeau.....

:lol:

Leper Friend
12-01-2009, 10:55 AM

Wasn't it Bruce who called that lousy play to end the playoff game with Jville a couple of years ago? Fourth and five, don't punt, instead design a play to have slow moving Ben keep the ball and try to run for a first? What about the Mewelde sweep to end the offenses woes last week? Bruce stinks it up in a big way.Arians play calling leaves alot to be desired imo.

That being said , each game plays out differently and presents different scenarios. You suggest the offense simply outscore the other team.How big of a lead does does Arians need to get before this "great " defense can protect it in the 4th ?