PDA

View Full Version : Notable Steelers FA list

SteelerSal
11-30-2009, 09:19 PM
http://walterfootball.com/freeagentscontractspit.php

Pittsburgh Steelers

Below is a depth chart and the year each NFL player will be a free agent. Keep in mind that the players listed are notable ones; players at the bottom of the depth chart will not be on this list.

Free agents to be following the 2009 NFL season are marked as "2010" because they become free agents on March 1, 2010. The same goes for future seasons. Age is as of Sept. 1, 2009.

Last updated: Nov. 29, 2009

Quarterback Age Free Agency Year

Ben Roethlisberger 27 2016

Charlie Batch 34 2010

Dennis Dixon 24 2011

Running Back Age Free Agency Year

Willie Parker 28 2010

Mewelde Moore 28 2011

Rashard Mendenhall 22 2013

Sean McHugh 27 2012

Wide Receive Age Free Agency Year

Hines Ward 33 2014

Santonio Holmes 25 2011

Limas Sweed 24 2012

Mike Wallace 23 2012

Tight End Age Free Agency Year

Heath Miller 26 2015

Matt Spaeth 24 2010

Offensive Tackle Age Free Agency Year

Max Starks 27 2013

Willie Colon 26 2010

Trai Essex 26 2011

Tony Hills 24 2011

Guard Age Free Agency Year

Chris Kemoeatu 26 2014

Darnell Stapleton 23 2010 (RFA)

Kraig Urbik 23 2012

Center Age Free Agency Year

Justin Hartwig 30 2013

Defensive End Age Free Agency Year

Aaron Smith 33 2012

Brett Keisel 30 2014

Ziggy Hood 22 2014

Travis Kirschke 34 2010

Nose Tackle Age Free Agency Year

Casey Hampton 31 2010

Chris Hoke 33 2011

Rush Linebacker Age Free Agency Year

James Harrison 31 2015

LaMarr Woodley 24 2011

Andre Frazier 27 2011

Inside Linebacker Age
Free Agency Year

James Farrior 34 2013

Lawrence Timmons 23 2012

Keyaron Fox 27 2011

Cornerback Age Free Agency Year

Ike Taylor 29 2011

William Gay 24 2010

Deshea Townsend 33 2010

Keenan Lewis 23 2012

Joe Burnett 22 2012

Safety AgeFree Agency Year

Troy Polamalu 28 2012

Ryan Clark 29 2010

Tyrone Carter 33 2010

Special Teamer Age Free Agency Year

Jeff Reed 30 2010

Daniel Sepulveda 25 2010 (RFA)

steelblood
12-01-2009, 08:52 AM
I believe Gay and Spaeth are RFAs in 2010. Dixon is an RFA in 2011.

Also, many of these dates (like those for Woodley and Holmes) depend on whether a new collective bargaining agreement is worked out. If not, it will be longer before they are UFAs.

JTP53609
12-01-2009, 09:57 AM
i am so HAPPY that GAY is on the list....

SteelBucks
12-01-2009, 10:02 AM

Also, many of these dates (like those for Woodley and Holmes) depend on whether a new collective bargaining agreement is worked out. If not, it will be longer before they are UFAs.

It'll be an interesting offseason with the CBA. I'm expecting a lockout.

Oviedo
12-01-2009, 11:35 AM

It'll be an interesting offseason with the CBA. I'm expecting a lockout.

The lockout would be in 2011 not 2010. I think they will get this sorted out because everyone loses in the lockout. But next year will be uncapped and we I think can tag up to 3 players plus players can't be UFAs until they have 6 years of service.

papillon
12-01-2009, 01:24 PM
These are only the 2010 players with expiring contracts:

Charlie Batch - Certainly this is his last hurrah as a player. He simply can't stay healthy, I'd like to see him stick around as a coach or advisor to the team. Of course, Kenny Anderson is the QB coach, so there probably isn't a place for him on the team.

Willie Parker - Love him for his effort and heart, but, Mendenhall is just too good in all phases of the game to keep Willie around. If he comes on the cheap that would be great.

Matt Spaeth - He's been struggling this year and I can't see any reason to keep him, other than he's tall. The Steelers have never used him because he's tall, so, my guess is he'll be a casualty.

Willie Colon - He must be signed and is proving to be a very good right tackle.

Darnell Stapleton - This one's tough, but I believe they need to retain him.

Travis Kirschke - Age and an expiring contract will send him on to retirement.

William Gay - Unless, Burnett and Lewis are completely incompetent I can't see Gay being resigned by the Steelers.

Deshea Townsend - It appears that his use of smoke and mirrors to mask his deficiencies will finally run its course and he won't be offered a contract.

Ryan Clark - If Troy promises to stay healthy then they should resign Clark. Otherwise, it may be time to find his replacement and tag him for a year.

Tyrone Carter - He's been good and bad, but at his age I can't see the Steelers offering him a new contract.

Jeff Reed - This will be interesting. I'd like to see him stay on as the kicker and improve the kick coverage team to mask his deficiencies on kickoffs, but, he may price himself out of Pittsburgh.

Daniel Sepulveda - His punts are accurate and more often than not seem to drop inside the 10 and he maintains an above average distance and hang time on his punts. He should be resigned, punters certainly shouldn't break the bank.

Casey Hampton - Contrary to what most believe about his age and decline in play he is still a top NT in the NFL and the Steelers should tag him and keep him. There are quite a few large NTs still playing very well into their early 30s which is where Hampton is right now.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2009, 01:36 PM

Charlie Batch - Certainly this is his last hurrah as a player. He simply can't stay healthy, I'd like to see him stick around as a coach or advisor to the team. Of course, Kenny Anderson is the QB coach, so there probably isn't a place for him on the team.

Willie Parker - Love him for his effort and heart, but, Mendenhall is just too good in all phases of the game to keep Willie around. If he comes on the cheap that would be great.

Matt Spaeth - He's been struggling this year and I can't see any reason to keep him, other than he's tall. The Steelers have never used him because he's tall, so, my guess is he'll be a casualty.

William Gay - Unless, Burnett and Lewis are completely incompetent I can't see Gay being resigned by the Steelers.

Deshea Townsend - It appears that his use of smoke and mirrors to mask his deficiencies will finally run its course and he won't be offered a contract.

Ryan Clark - If Troy promises to stay healthy then they should resign Clark. Otherwise, it may be time to find his replacement and tag him for a year.

Tyrone Carter - He's been good and bad, but at his age I can't see the Steelers offering him a new contract.

Jeff Reed - This will be interesting. I'd like to see him stay on as the kicker and improve the kick coverage team to mask his deficiencies on kickoffs, but, he may price himself out of Pittsburgh.

Daniel Sepulveda - His punts are accurate and more often than not seem to drop inside the 10 and he maintains an above average distance and hang time on his punts. He should be resigned, punters certainly shouldn't break the bank.

Casey Hampton - Contrary to what most believe about his age and decline in play he is still a top NT in the NFL and the Steelers should tag him and keep him. There are quite a few large NTs still playing very well into their early 30s which is where Hampton is right now.

Pappy

On this list, Spaeth, Stapleton, Gay, and Sepulveda should be restricted free agents, and therefore all of them should be kept for another year with a simple RFA tender. Colon is playing with an RFA tender this year, and if there is no new CBA, then we can keep him for another year on an RFA tender again (without a CBA, he'd need 6 accrued seasons to reach unrestricted free agency...with a CBA, he'd only need 4 accrued seasons). They could still offer Colon a long-term deal (like they did with Heath) instead of making him play under the RFA amount again, but if they cannot agree to long-term deal, then at least we probably won't lose him outright next season.

The only difficult decisions that they will have to make will be regarding Hampton, Clark, and Reed.

JTP53609
12-01-2009, 01:54 PM
i know i may be alone on this but....ryan clark is really starting to get on my nerves..i know he is trying to be the leader out there in the secondary but, he now goes for the big hit on EVERY single play in the secondary rather than first looking for the ball...

there was a play in the third qtr where it would of been an easy interception for him, but rather than go for the ball he went for the big hit on mason, he had no idea the ball was in his area becasue he tries to bring the hit stick on every single play...starting to become annoying...

Oviedo
12-01-2009, 02:00 PM

Pappy

On this list, Spaeth, Stapleton, Gay, and Sepulveda should be restricted free agents, and therefore all of them should be kept for another year with a simple RFA tender. Colon is playing with an RFA tender this year, and if there is no new CBA, then we can keep him for another year on an RFA tender again (without a CBA, he'd need 6 accrued seasons to reach unrestricted free agency...with a CBA, he'd only need 4 accrued seasons). They could still offer Colon a long-term deal (like they did with Heath) instead of making him play under the RFA amount again, but if they cannot agree to long-term deal, then at least we probably won't lose him outright next season.

The only difficult decisions that they will have to make will be regarding Hampton, Clark, and Reed.

I pretty much agree with what has been said.

If the Steelers are committed to staying with the 3-4 long term I think you tag Hampton and buy a year to groom a replacement. If they don't keep Hampton I think that is the first clue we may be looking in another direction. There just aren't any other good options at NT.

I think you keep Clark one more year but you draft his replacement in one of the first two picks of 2010. Reed only stays if he accepts the last offer or less. I don't reward him for being a jerk.

papillon
12-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Pappy

I don't know all the particulars, I was just identifying the players who's contracts expire after this season and what I believed the Steelers would do. There's no reason to offer Spaeth any type of tender, let him go and join a team that may use him and doesn't need him to block.

Regardless of the scheme (3-4 or 4-3) Casey Hampton should be resigned. In the 3-4 he's the NT you need to hold down the middle and in the 4-3 he's Ernie Holmes that makes sure that draw plays, screen passes and delays aren't successful.

It appears that Clark needs Troy to have any success with his kamikazi style of play. Going for the hit is costing the defense potential INTs (2 versus the Ravens). I don't think he's next year.

I'd love to see the long term deal with Colon get done, that would put Starks, Kemo and Colon on long term deals and keep 3/5 of the line together for awhile.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2009, 03:52 PM
I'd love to see the long term deal with Colon get done, that would put Starks, Kemo and Colon on long term deals and keep 3/5 of the line together for awhile.

Pappy

Don't forget we also signed Justin Hartwig to a 4 year extension this past offseason as well.

papillon
12-01-2009, 04:11 PM

Pappy

Don't forget we also signed Justin Hartwig to a 4 year extension this past offseason as well.

I can always count on you to fill in the blanks for me. Thank you. That would then make 4/5 of the current offensive line under contract into the foreseeable future and with their play continually getting better by the week that is a very good thing.

Pappy

Lebsteel
12-01-2009, 06:23 PM

Pappy

I pretty much agree with what has been said.

If the Steelers are committed to staying with the 3-4 long term I think you tag Hampton and buy a year to groom a replacement. If they don't keep Hampton I think that is the first clue we may be looking in another direction. There just aren't any other good options at NT.

I think you keep Clark one more year but you draft his replacement in one of the first two picks of 2010. Reed only stays if he accepts the last offer or less. I don't reward him for being a jerk.

Possible options for our Rd. 1 pick at NT are Terrence Cody--Alabama and Dan Williams--Tennessee. Cody is a monster at 6'5" 365lbs. but may be long gone by our pick at #32. I think Williams may be someone we look at as well as an ILB or safety. :tt1