PDA

View Full Version : Tomlins first real test.....

Starlifter
11-30-2009, 08:51 PM
don't get me wrong. big tomlin fan here and he's done all the right things. as a head coach though this is his first real adversity.

fractured lockeroom
3 game losing streak
4th quarter collapses.
fans ready to commit hari kari.....

the month of december will be very revealing as to his coaching abilities. I believe he has it in him. time will tell....

skyhawk
11-30-2009, 10:51 PM
I want them to lose the #1 D ranking and start playing some real defense for a change!!~

True Fan
11-30-2009, 11:37 PM
don't get me wrong. big tomlin fan here and he's done all the right things. as a head coach though this is his first real adversity.

fractured lockeroom
3 game losing streak
4th quarter collapses.

the month of december will be very revealing as to his coaching abilities. I believe he has it in him. time will tell....

if he had done all the right things we wouldn't be praying for a playoff berth.

Starlifter
12-01-2009, 03:17 AM

fractured lockeroom
3 game losing streak
4th quarter collapses.

if he had done all the right things we wouldn't be praying for a playoff berth.

that would presume a coach never faces adversity at all. i disagree.

pfelix73
12-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Yea, Tomlin hasn't done all the right things. In fact, I can find a lot of flaws in his coaching. Always did ever since season #1. Granted he won the SB, but most of the team was still from the Cowher Era.

I always thought that we'd see just how great or how bad of a coach he really is once he got in to the 4th or 5th season. He has a lot of inconsistencies... first and foremost stating in the summer of season #1 that he wants a smash mouth type football team but then he allows BA to run the offense who immediately shelved the I formation with the FB and installed the 2TE 1 back set. Never understood why he said what he said. Maybe he was forced to hire BA as the OC by management and that's understandable, but he could've at least put his 2 cents in to the offensive play calling and demanded a few things along the way.

Yes, this going forward will be Tomlin's 1st real test....Agreed.

:tt1

frankthetank1
12-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Yea, Tomlin hasn't done all the right things. In fact, I can find a lot of flaws in his coaching. Always did ever since season #1. Granted he won the SB, but most of the team was still from the Cowher Era.
I always thought that we'd see just how great or how bad of a coach he really is once he got in to the 4th or 5th season. He has a lot of inconsistencies... first and foremost stating in the summer of season #1 that he wants a smash mouth type football team but then he allows BA to run the offense who immediately shelved the I formation with the FB and installed the 2TE 1 back set. Never understood why he said what he said. Maybe he was forced to hire BA as the OC by management and that's understandable, but he could've at least put his 2 cents in to the offensive play calling and demanded a few things along the way.

Yes, this going forward will be Tomlin's 1st real test....Agreed.

and how long did it take cowher to win a sb with the same team? how wasnt last season a test for tomlin? the steelers had just as many injuries and still won. the only difference is troy and aaron smith are injured this season

pfelix73
12-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Cowher had to build his team when he was hired. Noll was at the end of his career and the team went south- don't you remember? Cowher was in the playoffs immediately and was in his 1st SB in 1995.

Tomlin took over a team already near the top with a load of talent.

frankthetank1
12-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Cowher had to build his team when he was hired. Noll was at the end of his career and the team went south- don't you remember? Cowher was in the playoffs immediately and was in his 1st SB in 1995.

Tomlin took over a team already near the top with a load of talent.

cowher and the FO did have to rebuild the team but my point was it took cowher forever to win a sb with the same team it took tomlin 2 seasons to win a sb with.

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2009, 11:19 AM
The cupboard wasn't exactly bare when Cowher arrived. He inherited Rod Woodson, Greg Lloyd, Carnell Lake, Dermontti Dawson, etc.

pfelix73
12-01-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't think you can compare though. Cowher was consistent in making it to the playoffs every year and back then we had to deal with the Bills so-called AFC dynasty and then the Cowboys who won those 3 in 4 years. 2 really good football teams.

This decade has been dominated by 3 teams, really. Us, the Pats*, and Indy. 6 SB trophies in total but I don't think anyone has been really dominant this decade like the Cowboys and Bills were, so to me, I have to consider that as somewhat of an excuse for Cowher. And don't forget Favre's Packers and Elways Broncos.

I guess my point is that Cowher was consistent. Not only in wining seasons for the most part but also just being in the playoffs every year and competing for a championship. We're gonna have to let a few years go by here to see if Tomlin can duplicate that. So far in 2 years, I'd say he has, but we'll see if it can continue.

frankthetank1
12-01-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't think you can compare though. Cowher was consistent in making it to the playoffs every year and back then we had to deal with the Bills so-called AFC dynasty and then the Cowboys who won those 3 in 4 years. 2 really good football teams.

This decade has been dominated by 3 teams, really. Us, the Pats*, and Indy. 6 SB trophies in total but I don't think anyone has been really dominant this decade like the Cowboys and Bills were, so to me, I have to consider that as somewhat of an excuse for Cowher. And don't forget Favre's Packers and Elways Broncos.

I guess my point is that Cowher was consistent. Not only in wining seasons for the most part but also just being in the playoffs every year and competing for a championship. We're gonna have to let a few years go by here to see if Tomlin can duplicate that. So far in 2 years, I'd say he has, but we'll see if it can continue.

thats a good point. its amazing the difference in the nfl only from 15 years ago or so. it seems like there is a lot more parody in the league now than then.