PDA

View Full Version : The Current State of the Union

flippy
11-30-2009, 02:36 PM
We're currently #8 in the AFC with 5 more games to play.

We must leapfrog 2 of 3 teams (Baltimore, Denver, and Jacksonville) to get into the playoffs and compete for our Lombardi.

Several weeks ago, I would have argued that our remaining schedule should be easy (Oakland, Cleveland, GreenBay, Baltimore, Miami). 5 wins would be an easy tune up to get us ready for the playoffs. But it's not going to be easy. We're the team that got beat by KC last week and the Bengals twice. We lost in overtime of a game we should have won last night. And the excuse of no Ben, Troy, Smitty, Kemo, etc. is not acceptable.

We must have the same level of expectation for any of our backups to step in and represent the Pittsburgh Steelers as the SuperBowl champions we are.

We must recommit. We must start over. We must level set our expectations. We just aren't as good as we think we are. But we must also realize what we are capable of. We have as much talent as team in this league. And 5 weeks is plenty of time to get things back on track.

Players and coaches must man up and take nothing for granted. It's time to stop expecting no matter how bad you do, Ben or Troy will bail you out in the end. It's time for everyone to be accountable. No more coasting on our leaders coattails.

Players must execute and coaches must put them in position to be successful. All hands on deck. We've done this before and we can do this again.

Here's a few of my thoughts on areas we could improve:

1. It's Mendy Time. This kid is a workhorse. Baltimore knew we had to run it and they couldn't stop Mendy. He put up a respectable 4 YPC on a very stout front 7. He's finally learned to slow down to let his blocks develop and is taking advantage of it. He's an every down back. He can pick up the blitz on 3rd downs and he can catch out of the backfield. He needs to touch the rock early and often. 25-30 touches a game should be the goal. We should use more of our jumbo/heavy packages and establish Mendy.

2. Focus on Tackling - Put our guys in pads every day and work on the fundamentals of tackling. What happened to defending every blade of grass? We must be sound in our fundamentals and prevent extra yardage on defense and/or special teams.

3. Red Zone Efficiency - We can't just move the ball between the 20s. We also need to score. I'd like to see us commit to running in the redzone and pass out of running formations.

4. Pressure the QB with 4-5 defenders. Too many times, we just don't get pressure with 4 guys. And our DBs need help. Should we gamble/blitz more often? Should we see more Ziggy? Should we blitz Timmons more often? We need Dick Lebeau to figure this out fast. And he's got some challenges ahead of him. But if anyone can get us on the right track here, he's the guy.

5. Individual Contributions - It's time to make a real assessment of what guys can/can't do to contribute. Dennis Dixon is a heck of an athlete and we should figure out how to use him when Ben comes back. James Farrior should never cover a RB 1 on 1 in a critical situation again. This has played a big hand in 2 losses.

6. Get Healthy. Get Ben and Troy back and we'll be fine. The team needs to rally around these guys so these 2 don't have to be heroic in order for us to win.

We had way more problem back in 05 after we lost to Indy and we were able to turn that around. The same opportunity is in front of us.

Playoff football starts a little early in Pittsburgh this year.

This is the most wonderful time of the year!!!!!

Let's go!!!!!!

Sugar
11-30-2009, 06:57 PM
It looks like the Steelers first playoff game will be this week against the Raiders.

Lebsteel
11-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Flippy, thanks for taking the time to make that post. I totally agree, but you said it much better than I could have. :tt1 :tt1

Ozey74
11-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Jacksonville still faces the Colts & they visit the Patriots -good news for us. Denver plays at Indy and at Philly. Baltimore losing at GB next Monday night would be HUGE!!! If Baltimore needed OT to beat us on their home field with our 3rd string QB and a Polamalu-less Defense -how are they going to play us at Heinz Field when we have Ben and Troy.

Our team will go far, if we can keep Polamalu heathly once we get him back.

As crazy as it sounds, the AFC North isn't out of the picture. Cincy plays at SD and at Minnesota. I think they will lose both of these games. If they can muster one more loss and we run the table, we are hosting a playoff game in December.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
11-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Jacksonville still faces the Colts & they visit the Patriots -good news for us. Denver plays at Indy and at Philly. Baltimore losing at GB next Monday night would be HUGE!!! If Baltimore needed OT to beat us on their home field with our 3rd string QB and a Polamalu-less Defense -how are they going to play us at Heinz Field when we have Ben and Troy.

Our team will go far, if we can keep Polamalu heathly once we get him back.

As crazy as it sounds, the AFC North isn't out of the picture. Cincy plays at SD and at Minnesota. I think they will lose both of these games. If they can muster one more loss and we run the table, we are hosting a playoff game in December.

I'm loving the optimism of this thread, little health and a little luck, '05 all over? The Colts/Bengals and Donkeys sure looked good in '05 didn't they? To bad Seattle sucks but f^&* those crybabies.

JTP53609
12-01-2009, 10:21 AM
we do have a tie breaker against denver which is good, jax will be going down with their schedule too, so if we win out (even lose one) than we should be good....plus balitmore will lose twice more at least...

i trust tomlin in his "we will give december hell"

SteelAbility
12-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Very well stated. Right on on all points. :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

msp26505
12-01-2009, 03:12 PM
This board needed this thread.

I believe. :tt2 :Beer

SteelerNation1
12-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Flip, I'm in. I believe. I always have. As a fan, what choice do I have? Not go? Not watch? Not bleed black and gold? Nah. I'm in. Thanks for the thread flip.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Flippy,
Well-written. Please forward to Mr. Mike Tomlin. Thank you.

LasVegasGuy
12-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Flippy,

He may be too busy to read it. My guess is he is working on creating "Splash Plays." :lol:

feltdizz
12-01-2009, 09:17 PM
LVG.. you know you really are showing how good you really think Tomlin is.. to demand a SB a year after winning a SB and demand the same every year until all of Cowhers players are dead shows how good you think Tomlin truly is..

Surely the best coaches never missed the playoffs.. the great Billicheat.. the one you truly love and use as the measuring stick for Tomlin was a genius last night..

I guess all Tomlin has to do is never get his brakes blown off like the Pats* did against NO and he is a HOFer no doubt. :loser

SteelerNation1
12-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Flippy,

He may be too busy to read it. My guess is he is working on creating "Splash Plays." :lol:
It really is comical that you think Tomlin should be fired. Are you serious?

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Flippy,

It really is comical that you think Tomlin should be fired. Are you serious?

As serious as this dog:

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/10/4/128675916816696241.jpg

(I figured no one wanted to be freaked out by that cat again).