PDA

View Full Version : My Sunday Night Observations

Steeler Mafia
11-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Well, I didn't go into this game with a lot of expectations. In fact I expected a loss once I found out Ben was not going to play. However, I was quite surprised in what we were able to do.

The game started off with me sitting on the couch with a nice leftover turkey sandwich and a new beer that I thought I would try.

http://www.pigskinaddiction.com/2009/11/Fri/ls.jpg

Itís a light weight beer that puts me in the mind of Corona, but crisper and with more flavor and hardly no aftertaste. The bottle says "Island Style Lager" and is made in Jacksonville, FL at the Margaritaville Brewing Company. Overall I really liked it and suggest you give it a try, if you haven't already. Very smooth and a nice beer to have with a meal.

Now that my game time snacks were in order, here is what I saw.

Dixon looked pretty good and didn't try to do too much. BA and his playcalling was quite conservative, which is what I would expect with Dixon at the helm. Everyone on the offense was trying to help Dixon out as much as possible and even protect him from big bad Ray Ray, who was licking his chops to get a hit on our new QB. So I didn't mind the penalties all that much when they were keeping our young QB from getting knocked into next week. But the biggest disappointment was our Defense. We really need to have these guys know how to pick up the slack when Troy is gone. You would think that they would be getting better being Troy has been out so much already this year. Damn that Madden Curse! We had our moments defensively, but when it counted, we couldn't sotp Ray Rice and Le'ron McClain. Oh how I wish McClain was a Steeler. They continued to gash us for chunks of yardage and really exhausting our D. The ST unit wasn't too spectacular, but they were 100 times better than they had been in previous weeks. I really wish Logan would start earning his starting job. All that speed, yet he continues to run into the teeth of the coverage. All in all, I thought we played an alright game. Any time you have your starting SS, LG, and QB sitting on the bench, chances are good that you will lose. Just too much talent sitting on the bench. Had we had two of the three on the field, we win the game.

I don't know if I can really place blame on any one individual for this loss. Dixon did more than expected and even with his OT int, he performed very well. I chalk the int up to inexperience in live game play. BA seemed to be playing it safe, and didn't take too many chances. Labeau, I think his syle is being figured out by other teams. That whole bend don't break thing can really be frustrating and those short intermediate passes really kill us when we can't pressure the QB. What I can't understand is how we give up those big pass plays. Ike got burned and William Gay and Ryan Clark got used. STs unit didn't give up any really big plays, then again, they didn't make any either. A good return could have really helped in this game. All together though, we were in the game and kept it close. Had you told me that we would lose by only three in OT to the Ravens yesterday afternoon, I wouldn't have believed it. I didn't give us much of a chance, but l liked what I saw from our young guys.

Usually I am pretty upset ofter a Steeler loss, as many of you might know after last weeks performance against the Chefs. (Spelled like that on purpose) But this week, knowing a day or so ahead of time that certain players were out, I kind of took this game more rationally and objective. We have a lot of injuries so far, but we will be getting healthy again and can get hot at just the right time. Also, our schedule is pretty favorable from here on out. If we can take care of business on our end, and get some of the other teams in contention to lose, the playoffs are not out of reach. Yet I am still concerned that once we do make the playoffs, how we will perform as we do not seem to be as hungry this year. Hopefully I am wrong, but things are not as bad as they seem so far. A lot of things can happen and as Chris Berman says, "That is why they play the games".

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Our last game of the season will be played at Land Shark Stadium. Hopefully that last game of our season takes place in Miami on 2-7-10 instead of 1-3-10.

:tt2 :tt1

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/6a00d83451b26169e201156f825d90970c-800wi.jpg http://readandreact.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/land-shark-beer_stadium.jpg

Jimmy Buffet is a minority owner of the Dolphins (Margaritaville Brewing Company, get it?) and he got naming rights for the the stadium, which was most recently just called Dolphins Stadium after previously being known as Pro Player Stadium and Joe Robbie Stadium. I prefer the other famous Land Shark, though...

http://fotr.mlblogs.com/Land%20Shark.JPG

Steeler Mafia
11-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Good ole Jimmy knows his alcoholic beverages! His taste in football teams is questionable though. :Cheers