PDA

View Full Version : we will be in the playoffs

JTP53609
11-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Once we roll off 3 wins in a row and are 9-5, baltimore will come in here and get destroyed, than we beat miami on the road, 11-5 gets it done

papillon
11-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Once we roll off 3 wins in a row and are 9-5, baltimore will come in here and get destroyed, than we beat miami on the road, 11-5 gets it done

That's a breath of fresh air around here these days. I'm with ya, until the Steelers are mathematically eliminated I'll believe they can get it turned around.

This weekend the following games are being played:

Oakland @ Pittsburgh
Tennessee @ Indy
Denver @ Kansas City
Houston @ Jacksonville
NE @ Miami
Baltimore @ Green Bay

Wild Card:

Denver
Jacksonville
Baltimore
Steelers

Obviously, the Steelers have to win, but there are opportunities in that schedule that are favorable to the Steelers.

Indy, Houston and Green Bay come to mind, so, there's plenty of football left this year.

The following week Denver @ Indy and Miami @ Jax
The following week Indy @ Jax, Miami @ Tennessee and Chicago @ Baltimore
The following week San Diego @ Tennessee, Jax @ New England and Baltimore @ Pittsburgh

The Steelers need to take care of business, there are way too many opportunities for teams to stumble to give up on this season. The Steelers will be a dangerous team if they can make it to the playoffs, Roethlisberger and Polamalu should be healthy.

Keep the faith folks, keep the faith

Pappy

frankthetank1
11-30-2009, 11:06 AM
it is possible but the steelers need to play a lot better all around. they have to beat the ravens next time. they cant afford to lose a tie breaker with the ravens and the bengals

papillon
11-30-2009, 11:10 AM
it is possible but the steelers need to play a lot better all around. they have to beat the ravens next time. they cant afford to lose a tie breaker with the ravens and the bengals

There's no room for error at this point and it's their own fault for not closing out games. The playoffs start against Oakland this weekend and then move on to Cleveland, etc.

Mathematically it isn't one loss and they're done, but, realistically it is. Playoff football is great and it starts this weekend and I'll be enjoying the game live from the upper deck!

Pappy

Steeler Mafia
11-30-2009, 11:27 AM
We can win out, but I am reminded of a certain NE team being 11 and 5 and gettig snubbed out of the playoffs. We can do our part, but we really need for the other teams in contention to take some losses.

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2009, 11:42 AM
We can win out, but I am reminded of a certain NE team being 11 and 5 and gettig snubbed out of the playoffs. We can do our part, but we really need for the other teams in contention to take some losses.

That was last year, though. Outside of the division leaders, through 11 games, there is only one 4 loss team in Denver, then three 5 loss teams in Baltimore, Jacksonville, and Pittsburgh, and four 6 loss teams in Tennessee, Houston, Miami, and New York. This could be one of those years in which a 9-7 wild card team makes it (a year after an 11-5 team couldn't make it as a wild card). Things just work out that way sometimes. As it stands, I think that 11-5 gets you in without much of an issue, and you have a solid shot if you go 10-6. We'll see how things shake out...

Because there aren't that many "great" teams in our conference this season, we are actually in a better spot this year at 6-5 than we were in 2005 at 7-5 (I think we there were 9 teams ahead of us in the AFC standings at that point in time before we went on our 4 game run to close out the regular season and our 4 game run in the playoffs to win it all).

BradshawsHairdresser
11-30-2009, 12:40 PM
If the Steelers don't make some sudden and dramatic improvement, they will likely win no more than two or three out of the five remaining, which won't be good enough, IMO.

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2009, 02:12 PM
If the Steelers don't make some sudden and dramatic improvement, they will likely win no more than two or three out of the five remaining, which won't be good enough, IMO.

We've got Oakland at home next. If we don't win that, we don't deserve the playoffs (you can survive one awful loss to a team that will be drafting in the top 10, but not 2)

Then we travel to Cleveland. See above.

Green Bay comes to town. A tough team at 7-4 (Aaron Rodgers already has over 3000 yards passing and has 22 TD's with only 5 INT's). But we've beaten strong teams on our home turf this year (see Minnesota, San Diego, and...surprise, surprise...Tennessee)

Baltimore comes to town. We took them to overtime on their field without Ben, Troy, or Kemo. What happens when come to our place with those guys healthy?

We finish the regular season in Miami. The wildcat is de-clawed with Ronnie Brown on I.R.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-30-2009, 04:01 PM

We've got Oakland at home next. If we don't win that, we don't deserve the playoffs (you can survive one awful loss to a team that will be drafting in the top 10, but not 2)

Then we travel to Cleveland. See above.

Green Bay comes to town. A tough team at 7-4 (Aaron Rodgers already has over 3000 yards passing and has 22 TD's with only 5 INT's). But we've beaten strong teams on our home turf this year (see Minnesota, San Diego, and...surprise, surprise...Tennessee)

Baltimore comes to town. We took them to overtime on their field without Ben, Troy, or Kemo. What happens when come to our place with those guys healthy?

We finish the regular season in Miami. The wildcat is de-clawed with Ronnie Brown on I.R.

And, as I said, if the Steelers don't make some sudden, dramatic improvement, they go no better than 3-2 through that stretch. Remember, we lost to bad Chiefs and Bears teams, and pi$$ed away a game vs. the Bengals. Remember, we've collapsed in the fourth quarter at least four times this season. Remember, STs have stunk, and play-calling on both sides of the ball has been pitiful, for the most part.

I hope the Steelers come to life, and go 5-0 to close out the regular season. But the hole that they are in now is mighty deep, and they need to start trying to dig their way out with shovels, instead of the spoons they've been using.

phillyesq
11-30-2009, 04:19 PM
In 2005, when the Steelers were 7-5 and coming off the loss to the bengals, many people felt the season was over. I was 100% confident that the Steelers would make the playoffs that year. They did, and the rest is SB history.

This year, I'm not quite as confident, but I think that the Steelers can make the playoffs. They must beat the Raiders. No question. Same with the Browns. I think that 10-6 will likely net them a playoff berth, but the Steelers really need to worry about taking care of business first and foremost. The rest will play out as it plays out.

SteelBucks
11-30-2009, 04:56 PM

If Ben and Troy play, it WILL happen. :tt2

NWNewell
11-30-2009, 06:51 PM

There's no room for error at this point and it's their own fault for not closing out games. The playoffs start against Oakland this weekend and then move on to Cleveland, etc.

Mathematically it isn't one loss and they're done, but, realistically it is. Playoff football is great and it starts this weekend and I'll be enjoying the game live from the upper deck!

Pappy

I think we can get into the #6 seed at 10-6 too... but only if our one more lose is not to Baltimore. If Baltimore beats us, then they will be in the playoffs instead of us.

I think Jax's will drop two more games. They play Indy, Hou, NE. I could see Denver dropping two more. And I don't see any of the 5-6 teams running the table with the games they have left.

If we suffer only one more a lose to GB or MIA we are in the playoffs, IMO.

Sugar
11-30-2009, 07:45 PM
The thing is, we have to play better ball- especially on ST and Offense. There is no excuse for this Offense not to score at least 20 points in regulation. There is also no excuse for allowing the kind of points and field position the ST has allowed.

The D is only allowing about 15 points a game and that is good enough for me.

skyhawk
12-01-2009, 02:48 AM
The thing is, we have to play better ball- especially on ST and Offense. There is no excuse for this Offense not to score at least 20 points in regulation. There is also no excuse for allowing the kind of points and field position the ST has allowed.

The D is only allowing about 15 points a game and that is good enough for me.

All in the last 6 minutes of the game!! :HeadBanger

SteelAbility
12-01-2009, 09:24 AM

That's a breath of fresh air around here these days. I'm with ya, until the Steelers are mathematically eliminated I'll believe they can get it turned around.

Oakland @ Pittsburgh
Tennessee @ Indy
Denver @ Kansas City
Houston @ Jacksonville
NE @ Miami
Baltimore @ Green Bay

Wild Card:

Denver
Jacksonville
Baltimore
Steelers

Obviously, the Steelers have to win, but there are opportunities in that schedule that are favorable to the Steelers.

Indy, Houston and Green Bay come to mind, so, there's plenty of football left this year.

The following week San Diego @ Tennessee, Jax @ New England and Baltimore @ Pittsburgh

The Steelers need to take care of business, there are way too many opportunities for teams to stumble to give up on this season. The Steelers will be a dangerous team if they can make it to the playoffs, Roethlisberger and Polamalu should be healthy.

Pappy

I didn't realize how much "kill each other off" was in the remaining schedule. IMO, we can afford one more loss and still make the playoffs, especially if that loss is to GB.

JTP53609
12-01-2009, 09:45 AM
i think that we are better than every team on the schedule, now that does not mean we will be 11-5 automatically (even though I think we will turn it on here at these next few weeks) but if we had just beaten kc the way we should have, than ben would have played against baltimore and we are looking at 8-3 right now...i know all the ifs are iffy, but still.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-01-2009, 12:50 PM
i think that we are better than every team on the schedule, now that does not mean we will be 11-5 automatically (even though I think we will turn it on here at these next few weeks) but if we had just beaten kc the way we should have, than ben would have played against baltimore and we are looking at 8-3 right now...i know all the ifs are iffy, but still.

A lot of teams could be 8-3 with a few "ifs" and "buts" going their way. This team IS what it's record says it is. No matter what we think could have been, the reality is, the Steelers are on the brink of elimination. Time to turn it on, and see if we can do better. As someone else has said, the playoffs begin this week with the Oakland Raiders.

JTP53609
12-01-2009, 01:18 PM

A lot of teams could be 8-3 with a few "ifs" and "buts" going their way. This team IS what it's record says it is. No matter what we think could have been, the reality is, the Steelers are on the brink of elimination. Time to turn it on, and see if we can do better. As someone else has said, the playoffs begin this week with the Oakland Raiders.

alot of teams "could" be 8-3, but when you really think of it we "could" be 10-1 even 11-0, the breaks that went our way last year are still in last year...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-02-2009, 09:49 AM

Oakland @ Pittsburgh
Tennessee @ Indy
Denver @ Kansas City
Houston @ Jacksonville
NE @ Miami
Baltimore @ Green Bay

Wild Card:

Denver
Jacksonville
Baltimore
Steelers

Pappy

I didn't realize how much "kill each other off" was in the remaining schedule. IMO, we can afford one more loss and still make the playoffs, especially if that loss is to GB.
Um...No. The Steelers can't afford another loss.

If the Steelers lose then they don't control their own fate in the division. Even if they beat the Ravens(If the Ravens win all games except against the Steelers) They will finish 3rd in the division. Division tie breaker is applied before any other tie breaker so that means the Ravens would eliminate us before we have a shot at a wild card. Meaning the Ravens would have to be the #5 seed for us to have a chance.

Then you are asking the Broncos to drop 2 or the Chargers to drop 3 (Since both us and the Ravens beat them both.) Not to mention 6 losses bring a whole shopping list of other teams into the scenario. Basicly, the Steelers need to win out. Hope the Broncos(And/or Chargers), Jags, Dolphins and Ravens drop as many as possible. If the Titans can overtake the Jags for 2nd in the division, that would really help. We need to use the Broncos, Chargers, & Titans wins to help us get in. That is out ticket but it all starts with us finishing 2nd in the division. Right now, we control that...That's the goal.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-02-2009, 10:08 AM
On a different note...
I think the Steelers still have a PS spot open. Palko is on the 53. Do they keep him up there and fill the PS spot? Do they release him and put him on the PS then bring in Madison, a Justin Miller, or an Ahmad Carroll? Still would like to see another athlete on the cover teams. Maybe it is a spot for a vet QB like Garcia, Ramsey, Losman, or Bollinger? Curious...

papillon
12-02-2009, 11:02 AM
On a different note...
I think the Steelers still have a PS spot open. Palko is on the 53. Do they keep him up there and fill the PS spot? Do they release him and put him on the PS then bring in Madison, a Justin Miller, or an Ahmad Carroll? Still would like to see another athlete on the cover teams. Maybe it is a spot for a vet QB like Garcia, Ramsey, Losman, or Bollinger? Curious...

Anthony Madison on the 53, Palko to the PS and if things get that bad at QB where we lose Ben and Dennis, then use Ward or Moore. At that point, the season would be over regardless.

We've given up too many yards and points with our cover teams and Anthony Madison is an immediate upgrade. Just my 2 cents.

Pappy

JTP53609
12-02-2009, 11:04 AM
just plain nasty...

i agree with you, we cannot lose another game, if we fall to 10-6 than the window MAY open for alot more teams, but
if we do lose to green bay (lets just say them) and finish the year 10-6 than that would mean we would be 3-3 in the division and 8-4 in the conference, so at best baltimore would have the same record as us but they would be 7-5 in conference which would still give us the edge over them.........

but yea, i hope that tennesse overtakes jax for second place, that would really help us out big time and with our wins against denver/sd, that would help out too.
to make things much easier, I say we finish 11-5 and wrap up the 5th seed (hopefully that miami game will be meaningless, but dont hold your breaths) and that would set up a probably matchup with cincy in the first round.....

i know i am speaking confusion, but yinz know what i mean n' at..

JTP53609
12-02-2009, 11:08 AM
and I am sorry for doing this, but...
cincy has 3 very tough games remaining, @sd @minn @ nyj,
if by chance they lose those 3 games and we win out...than we win the division.. i will shut up now, ruthless, easy with the tomatoes,
:stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2009, 11:18 AM
if by chance they lose those 3 games and we win out...than we win the division.. i will shut up now, ruthless, easy with the tomatoes,

http://www.searchviews.com/wp-content/themes/clean-copy-full-3-column-1/images/attack_of_the_killer_tomatoes.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2009, 11:21 AM
On a different note...

Anthony Madison on the 53, Palko to the PS and if things get that bad at QB where we lose Ben and Dennis, then use Ward or Moore. At that point, the season would be over regardless.

We've given up too many yards and points with our cover teams and Anthony Madison is an immediate upgrade. Just my 2 cents.

Pappy

I was about to say that Anthony Madison was on the Colts...didn't realize that they released him yesterday.

http://blog.taragana.com/sports/2009/12/01/colts-waive-defensive-end-josh-thomas-and-defensive-back-anthony-madison-before-facing-titans-52062/

Colts waive defensive end Josh Thomas and defensive back Anthony Madison before facing Titans

By AP
December 1st, 2009

Colts waive 2 defensive players before Titans game

INDIANAPOLIS — The Indianapolis Colts have waived defensive end Josh Thomas and defensive back Anthony Madison.

Both were waived Tuesday after signing with the Colts to add depth to a defense hit by several injuries.

Thomas rejoined the team last week when Indy wasn’t sure if four-time Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney could play with an abdominal injury at Houston. Freeney sat out, and Thomas went into the defensive line rotation.

The move with Madison could indicate that the Colts will get cornerback Kelvin Hayden back this week. Madison was signed Nov. 11 after Hayden went down with a sprained knee. The team has not said which knee Hayden injured.

Steeler Mafia
12-02-2009, 11:29 AM
The only game coming up that concerns me is against Green Bay. Is that going to be at home or at Lambeau Field? Arron Rogers can be very dangerous. The one good thing for this game is that he has problems staying on his feet. If we win this game, we win out for sure. Baltimore, Miami, Oakland, and Cleveland can't hang when we have Ben behind center. When Troy is healthy, look out. I just hope he can stay on the field and not re-injure anything in the next 4 to 5 weeks.

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2009, 11:47 AM
The only game coming up that concerns me is against Green Bay. Is that going to be at home or at Lambeau Field? Arron Rogers can be very dangerous. The one good thing for this game is that he has problems staying on his feet. If we win this game, we win out for sure. Baltimore, Miami, Oakland, and Cleveland can't hang when we have Ben behind center. When Troy is healthy, look out. I just hope he can stay on the field and not re-injure anything in the next 4 to 5 weeks.

The Oakland, Green Bay, and Baltimore games are at Heinz.

We travel to Cleveland and Miami.

Oviedo
12-02-2009, 11:55 AM

The Oakland, Green Bay, and Baltimore games are at Heinz.

We travel to Cleveland and Miami.

I'm actually more worried about Oakland than Green Bay. Oakland has a pretty good defense and I am concerned Ben will come back and feel he has something to prove and force balls downfield which can result in turnovers.

This season we seem to have played to level of the competition.

One thing is clear we have screwed up enough to make the Miami game a meaningful, must win game so no chance any starters or hurt palyers are rested and we will have our first play off game the game the very next week on the road.

JTP53609
12-02-2009, 11:58 AM

http://www.searchviews.com/wp-content/themes/clean-copy-full-3-column-1/images/attack_of_the_killer_tomatoes.jpg

well played, i would expect nothing less....

SteelAbility
12-02-2009, 12:03 PM

Wow, somehow I missed this. There IS hope to win this division after all.

JTP53609
12-02-2009, 12:05 PM

there is indeed still hope, but that hope was alot bigger even after the cincy loss 2 weeks ago, i thought we actually still had a shot than, and i am still sticking to it, but now it is a much lower shot...

Oviedo
12-02-2009, 12:08 PM

I HOPE I win the lottery twice a week, but I just don't count on it happening. For us to win the division the Bumgals would have to have a total collapse and they haven't done that yet this season.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-02-2009, 12:49 PM
just plain nasty...

i agree with you, we cannot lose another game, if we fall to 10-6 than the window MAY open for alot more teams, but
if we do lose to green bay (lets just say them) and finish the year 10-6 than that would mean we would be 3-3 in the division and 8-4 in the conference, so at best baltimore would have the same record as us but they would be 7-5 in conference which would still give us the edge over them.........

but yea, i hope that tennesse overtakes jax for second place, that would really help us out big time and with our wins against denver/sd, that would help out too.
to make things much easier, I say we finish 11-5 and wrap up the 5th seed (hopefully that miami game will be meaningless, but dont hold your breaths) and that would set up a probably matchup with cincy in the first round.....

You are not confusing me.
You have to say GB because that is the only game we could afford to lose & still finish 2nd in the division. Can't drop any other game within conference. So by scenario, we could lose to the GB & still have a shot a finishing 2nd in the division only if the Ravens lose another game besides the Steelers. Common opponents comes before conference record. If not, we would then have 2 losses against common apponents & the Ravens finish 2nd in the division(GB & CHI). The Jags would have to lose 2 games in conference (Entirely possible) and the Broncos would have to lose 2. If the Ravens don't lose another game we miss the playoffs. The Ravens conference record would be like a boot on our throat. We could watch teams we beat (With the same record) get in because we get eliminated by the Ravens in the tie breaker.

JTP53609
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
just plain nasty...

You are not confusing me.
You have to say GB because that is the only game we could afford to lose & still finish 2nd in the division. Can't drop any other game within conference. So by scenario, we could lose to the GB & still have a shot a finishing 2nd in the division only if the Ravens lose another game besides the Steelers. Common opponents comes before conference record. If not, we would then have 2 losses against common apponents & the Ravens finish 2nd in the division(GB & CHI). The Jags would have to lose 2 games in conference (Entirely possible) and the Broncos would have to lose 2. If the Ravens don't lose another game we miss the playoffs. The Ravens conference record would be like a boot on our throat. We could watch teams we beat (With the same record) get in because we get eliminated by the Ravens in the tie breaker.

perfect, could not say it any better....

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-02-2009, 01:07 PM
On a different note...

Pappy
I would be alright with that. Madison doesn't add much depth to CB but he is a solid ST player. Carroll is also good on ST and might be a better athlete. If you needed a cover guy in a pinch I like Carroll over Madison. However, at this point in the season, probably makes more sense with Madison because he knows the system and playbook.

Oviedo
12-02-2009, 01:22 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":42cf7kqa]On a different note...

Pappy
I would be alright with that. Madison doesn't add much depth to CB but he is a solid ST player. Carroll is also good on ST and might be a better athlete. If you needed a cover guy in a pinch I like Carroll over Madison. However, at this point in the season, probably makes more sense with Madison because he knows the system and playbook.[/quote:42cf7kqa]

Whether he knows the "system and playbook" or not Madison is not a viable option in the secondary. If you recall other times he has played hhis coverage skills make Gay look like a combination of Mel Blount and Rod Woodson.

The reason he was cut was because he could only play on special teams.

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2009, 02:08 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":v197ow5z]On a different note...

Pappy
I would be alright with that. Madison doesn't add much depth to CB but he is a solid ST player. Carroll is also good on ST and might be a better athlete. If you needed a cover guy in a pinch I like Carroll over Madison. However, at this point in the season, probably makes more sense with Madison because he knows the system and playbook.

Whether he knows the "system and playbook" or not Madison is not a viable option in the secondary. If you recall other times he has played hhis coverage skills make Gay look like a combination of Mel Blount and Rod Woodson.

The reason he was cut was because he could only play on special teams.[/quote:v197ow5z]

However, someone who "can only play on special teams" sounds pretty good right about now, provided that he can be a difference maker on our sorry special teams. I think with rookies Lewis and Burnett on the roster, there is enough depth at CB that we wouldn't have to worry about Madison seeing the light of day on defense if anything were to happen to Ike, Gay, or Deshea.

JTP53609
12-02-2009, 02:11 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":17njfpf3]On a different note...

Pappy

The reason he was cut was because he could only play on special teams.

However, someone who "can only play on special teams" sounds pretty good right about now, provided that he can be a difference maker on our sorry special teams. I think with rookies Lewis and Burnett on the roster, there is enough depth at CB that we wouldn't have to worry about Madison seeing the light of day on defense if anything were to happen to Ike, Gay, or Deshea.[/quote:17njfpf3]

it is pretty crazy to think that if we had madison on the team, we could perhaps be 2 games better right now....

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-02-2009, 04:32 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3tdwdrr6]On a different note...

Pappy

The reason he was cut was because he could only play on special teams.[/quote:3tdwdrr6]
That's why I said "Madison doesn't add much depth to CB "...But at this point in the season they might be better off bringing in a player who has been in the system and knows the playbook. Madison was never than a ST guy but since Boiman & Ivy were the last 2 signings (minus Palko) I think the Steelers have a focus. ST have been the reason why this team hasn't limped along until players got healthy. Won't get a second chance in the playoffs.