View Full Version : Redundant Thoughts 2009 Week 12 @ Ravens

redundantman
11-30-2009, 09:51 AM
deleted...

papillon
11-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Nice to see Woodley really kick some @$$

Nice to see Timmons be what many believed he could be

Harrison can maintain intensity better than any Steeler I've watched play and that includes Jack Lambert

Mendenhall should only be out of the game if he is injured; he is their 1st down back, 2nd down back, 3rd down back and, when necessary, their 4th down back.

Stefan Logan gets knocked off his feet by a strong burst of wind

The offensive played well, yet again and really helped Dixon be successful

I don't like the matchup of Farrior on Rice in the slot

Santonio had another good game quietly (well, except for his stupid pointing celbration).

Hines Ward is in Ed Reed's head and took him for an 11 yard piggyback ride

They had a chance, but couldn't close the deal; the story of the season.

5 games left and needing help, first step is to beat Oakland this weekend and hope for some positive results from around the league.

Pappy

Oviedo
11-30-2009, 10:02 AM
The defense continues to go "soft" late. LeBeau has lost his magic.

SteelBucks
11-30-2009, 12:17 PM

Any coordinator would look bad when you have Gay as your starting CB.

Steeler Mafia
11-30-2009, 12:25 PM
11. 6:25 in the 3rd … back to back sacks. Timmons and Woodley! It was nice to see the defense finally rising up and making some plays but Woodley needs to work on his weird celebratory “karate” kick.
24. And of course on a 2nd and 6 Arians calls a deep pass. Why go deep there? Now its 3rd and 6 and you’ve put your 3rd strig QB in an obvious passing situation.

I also think Woodley's dance needs some work. One of these days he is going to land wrong and blow out his knee or something doing that rediculous kick. Can't we be a little more creative Lamar?

Now I don't normally take up for BA, but that deep pass to Wallace was open. Dixon just miss lead the throw and the reciever ran out of real estate. I was just happy to see the Wallace not have to come back to the ball to make the play. Was it a good call? I don't know, but it was open.

LouSteel
11-30-2009, 01:02 PM

Any coordinator would look bad when you have Gay as your starting CB.

Gay is a starter as a cover 2 CB. That's where he was good when he played at UofL and that's where he will excel.

As I've mentioned -- oh, maybe thirty times today -- we sure do have quite a few players that will look damn good in the cover 2 :stirpot

SteelAbility
11-30-2009, 01:24 PM
1. How do you lose Aaron Smith, Troy Polamalu and Big Ben and still win football games?

By coaching situational football and discipline. I hear what you are saying. However, what you see as a negative, I see as a positive - a chance for others to step up and be alpha-male. IMO we have thrown away at least 3 games (CIN, CHI, and KC)

2. The plan should be obvious: keep it close until the fourth quarter and hope to get lucky.

This explains the 6-5 part.

3. Steelers opening drive is a three and out featuring an almost intercepted pass. Dixon clearly looks uncomfortable. I guess you can hardly blame him for that.

Dixon's performance shows MUCH promise in the event that Ben goes out again.

5. Collinsworth commenting on Harrison’s effort playing special teams: “James Harrison ran down there like he was a rookie trying to make the team.” The Steelers need more players with Harrison’s focus.

We need ALL players with Harrison's focus.

8. 14-7 at the half. If you would have offered Tomlin that at the start of the game he would likely have taken it. I know I would have.

Agreed. But I was still pissed that we didn't try anything with the ball at the 40 and one timeout. Can anyone say the word "strategy?" You know like a deep sideline pass. Three primary scenarios.

1. Incomplete. No loss. No better/worse than Carey Davis for 2 yards.
2. Complete. Wow imagine that possibility. Sure could have used those 3 points at the end of the game, huh????
3. Intercepted. Well the idea here is a SIDELINE pass, so it's very likely the defender goes out of bounds. Isn't that kind of like a deep punt that pins your opponent inside the 15 with ... oh ... about 25 seconds and no timeouts to do something productive????

9. Halftime is typically a time when “adjustments” are made. This happens on both sides of the ball with good teams. I didn’t see any noticeable adjustments from the Steelers. I believe this speaks more to the Steelers coaching than it does to the quality of the team. I’m not saying the coaching is bad per se, just stubborn.

Totally agree. Been seeing this all season.

10. William Gay finally makes a play and forces a fumble in the second half. That should cover his effort for the next three or four games.

Disagree. That'll cover to the end of the season.

11. 6:25 in the 3rd … back to back sacks. Timmons and Woodley! It was nice to see the defense finally rising up and making some plays but Woodley needs to work on his weird celebratory “karate” kick.

Terrible foot form. :)

12. At the start of the 4th quarter the Steelers were still within 4. Again, I would take that any day with a 3rd string QB in his first NFL start and in a hostile environment. Up until this point Dixon has been brilliant.

Agreed.

13. Why does Harrison try to pick up that punt? It got a good Steelers bounce.

Ravens touched it. Therefore he can pick it up and run penalty free as a fumble doesn't go against you there.

14. WHEN are we going to fire the special teams guy?

Not soon enough.

15. Kudos to Timmons on this game. His strip of Flacco after the Ravens big punt runback was timely. The Steelers needed that play.

:Agree

16. Dixon puts the Steelers up 17-10 in the 4th quarter. Where has this guy been hiding? Dixon for president, etc.

Actually 17-14. But what's 4 points amongst Steel Brethren. :moon

17. 4th and 5; Harbaugh calls for a timeout before punting … wanting to decide whether he will punt and put the ball in Dixon’s hands. The Ravens opt to attempt to convert the 4th and 5 … Farrior looks old as Ray Rice runs free across the middle of the secondary. The Steelers fail to tackle him until he gets to the 9 yard line.

Farrior got burned on 4th and 10 in the Cincy game too. Think teams have been doing good scouting on us?

18. After the kickoff Tomlin plays for OT. I can hardly blame him.

No. He actually played to give the Ravens a chance, passing with Dixon being 2 of 9 in the 2nd half. TWELVE Frikkin seconds off the clock.

19. The Steelers punt … a penalty flag saves the Steelers on another long runback.

20. Penalty on Ike … penalty on Clayton.

21. Fumble forward … I called it before Michaels did.

22. Ravens Missed FG … we go to OT.

23. Collinsworth makes sense yet again (that makes twice in his whole lifetime now) … the Steelers must get back to establishing the run.

I noticed that. I think we were trying. We just forgot to use one of our mostly deadly ground weapons ... you know ... DIXON. :roll:

24. And of course on a 2nd and 6 Arians calls a deep pass. Why go deep there? Now its 3rd and 6 and you’ve put your 3rd strig QB in an obvious passing situation.

25. Dang … you had to figure it would end that way.

26. Sloppy, sloppy game. Bad tackling, too many penalties, special teams … the Steelers are not flaming out in spectacular fashion as they did in 2006. This time they are just falling short time and again.

Nice read RM.

Jom112
11-30-2009, 01:39 PM
6. Jeez, how many penalty flags can you cram into one game? This had to be sloppiest game I’ve seen this year. The Raiders are laughing at the Steelers and Ravens lack of discipline.

When they kept throwing flags, I was like "come on refs let them play". Then they showed the replays, I was like "alright that was pretty obvious, you have to call that".

If Woodley complains of a sore groin, I think we all know what the source is. :lol:

23. Collinsworth makes sense yet again (that makes twice in his whole lifetime now) … the Steelers must get back to establishing the run.

I've hated Collinsworth for a while because he is just way too damn smug (Even though he was a Bengal). But recently I've come around to his announcing. He's been really good for Sunday Night Football. Definitely a lot better than 95% of announcers in the NFL these days.

buckeyehoppy
11-30-2009, 08:10 PM
1. How do you lose Aaron Smith, Troy Polamalu and Big Ben and still win football games?

Not easily, apparently.

2. The plan should be obvious: keep it close until the fourth quarter and hope to get lucky.

Sounds like the guy talking about health care in Congress saying the Republicans expect us to "die quickly". Then again, we wouldn't die so quickly in games if we played like we meant to win in the first three quarters and demoralized teams so that their spirit was broken by the fourth quarter.

3. Steelers opening drive is a three and out featuring an almost intercepted pass. Dixon clearly looks uncomfortable. I guess you can hardly blame him for that.

Wouldn't you be uncomfortable if you didn't work with the first unit all week, then learned after the Saturday walk through that you were starting this week? Seems normal to have jitters on that first drive. At least he didn't turn the ball over.

4. Kudos on the 3 and out for the Steelers D after the Ravens go up 7-0! Gads they needed that. Even Collinsworth mentioned how miserable it would have been for Dixon to be down 2 scores.

Sounds like another brilliant statement from Crissy Obviousworth.

5. Collinsworth commenting on Harrison’s effort playing special teams: “James Harrison ran down there like he was a rookie trying to make the team.” The Steelers need more players with Harrison’s focus.

AMEN!!!

6. Jeez, how many penalty flags can you cram into one game? This had to be sloppiest game I’ve seen this year. The Raiders are laughing at the Steelers and Ravens lack of discipline.

Real question is: how many flags can Eddie Guns stick up his @$$ before he really begins to enjoy it? Was he the ref Marv Levy called an "over-officious jerk"?

7. 2 minute drill at the half … kickoff … Limas Sweed sighting!

Yeah... I saw him drop a load in his pants because Coach Tomlin called his name.

8. 14-7 at the half. If you would have offered Tomlin that at the start of the game he would likely have taken it. I know I would have.

Possibly... although 14-10 might have looked better, especially in light of how the game ended. Maybe playing to head into the locker room when you don't get the 2nd half kickoff isn't such a bright idea.

9. Halftime is typically a time when “adjustments” are made. This happens on both sides of the ball with good teams. I didn’t see any noticeable adjustments from the Steelers. I believe this speaks more to the Steelers coaching than it does to the quality of the team. I’m not saying the coaching is bad per se, just stubborn.

If we are stubbornly going full speed toward a .500 season after a SB win, wouldn't that suggest that we need Coach Tomlin to put his footprint on the Steelers in the off-season?

10. William Gay finally makes a play and forces a fumble in the second half. That should cover his effort for the next three or four games.

I'll buy that for a $1.

Daniel LaRussa he ain't... look eye, Woodley-san, ALWAY look eye!!!

12. At the start of the 4th quarter the Steelers were still within 4. Again, I would take that any day with a 3rd string QB in his first NFL start and in a hostile environment. Up until this point Dixon has been brilliant.

Not bad for the backup who didn't practice with the first unit.

13. Why does Harrison try to pick up that punt? It got a good Steelers bounce.

I was scratching my head over that one, too.

14. WHENare we going to fire the special teams guy?

Realistically: when the Clowns win a SB.
Ideally: should've already happened.

15. Kudos to Timmons on this game. His strip of Flacco after the Ravens big punt run back was timely. The Steelers needed that play.

We could use more of that. Too bad that effort has been hit or miss this season.

16. Dixon puts the Steelers up 17-10 in the 4th quarter. Where has this guy been hiding? Dixon for president, etc.

Easy, redundantman. Christ had to go to carpentry school before he became "Lord and Savior". Dixon needs to learn how to use the crosscut saw on opposing Ds.

17. 4th and 5; Harbaugh calls for a timeout before punting … wanting to decide whether he will punt and put the ball in Dixon’s hands. The Ravens opt to attempt to convert the 4th and 5 … Farrior looks old as Ray Rice runs free across the middle of the secondary. The Steelers fail to tackle him until he gets to the 9 yard line.

That's the respect the Rattards give the #1 D and we don't produce? They should all buy lottery tickets with that kind of good fortune.

18. After the kickoff Tomlin plays for OT. I can hardly blame him.

That's what happens when you have a backup trying to maneuver his first game-winning drive. Reluctantly, I had to give him a pass on that.

19. The Steelers punt … a penalty flag saves the Steelers on another long runback.

OK, so we didn't give up a ST TD in this one. Our coverage still looks like $hizznit. FWIW, it's NOT the "Steeler Way" to fire coaches in mid-season.

20. Penalty on Ike … penalty on Clayton.

Ike got absolutely pwned by Mason last night.

21. Fumble forward … I called it before Michaels did.

And you both beat the guys paid to take those decisions as penalties. Can anyone say "Full-time Referees"? Our "weekend warriors" are, evidently, not boned up on their rule books.

22. Ravens Missed FG … we go to OT.

That sack was a boon for us.

Two brilliant statements from Crissy Obviousworth? Wow, that's a first!

That's text book BA for ya. Why run when you can go to a low-percentage pass when you might need 5 yards or so on each play?

25. Dang … you had to figure it would end that way.

I didn't figure it HAD to end that way... it just did. OTOH, our backup QB nearly won on the road with little thanks from his own defense. His last pass notwithstanding, DDix did a great job.

26. Sloppy, sloppy game. Bad tackling, too many penalties, special teams … the Steelers are not flaming out in spectacular fashion as they did in 2006. This time they are just falling short time and again.

6-5 is what happens when you let mediocre teams hang out for too long. This team has no sense of urgency. Probably won't change either. We need to run the table to assure the playoffs. Let's just say I have my doubts.

Great job as usual, redundantman!!!

NJ-STEELER
12-01-2009, 02:28 AM
as i believe they explained on NBC. once a raven touches the ball on a punt , harrison can pick it up without having to worry about turning it over.

if he fumbled it picking it up then the ball reverts to where it was first hit by the raven player.

plus, it looked close to me that it hit a steeler in the foot/leg and he probably wasn't sure a raven had hit the ball to begin with

JTP53609
12-01-2009, 10:08 AM
#13....
since the ravens did touch the ball, any steeler than can touch it and even if fumbled it will be ruled at the spot of the raven touch, only positves come out of the steelers touching it there....

the forward fumble had me screaming too, saying the ball should be marked at the 45....kind of upsetting that alot of fans know more than announcers in that situation

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2009, 11:13 AM
#13....
since the ravens did touch the ball, any steeler than can touch it and even if fumbled it will be ruled at the spot of the raven touch, only positves come out of the steelers touching it there....

the forward fumble had me screaming too, saying the ball should be marked at the 45....kind of upsetting that alot of fans know more than announcers in that situation

The announcers knew the rule. It was the officials that got it wrong. Michaels was saying that there would be hell to pay of the FG was good from where they spotted it instead of 4 yards further back.