PDA

View Full Version : BA called the perfect game...

feltdizz
11-30-2009, 01:53 AM
for a 3rd string QB in his first start on the road against our most hated rival. With 6 minutes left Dixon runs 30 yards UNTOUCHED into the endzone for the first lead of the game..

then we watched the Notre Dame D take the field...

All the BA haters are beside themselves because he didn't have Dixon running around like a madman looking like a fool.... mind you Ben was pulled from the line up on FRIDAY..

It's a sad day in Steeler football when our OC has to put up mega numbers because our DC can't be criticized due to his past success...

sd steel
11-30-2009, 01:58 AM
for a 3rd string QB in his first start on the road against our most hated rival. With 6 minutes left Dixon runs 30 yards UNTOUCHED into the endzone for the first lead of the game..

All the BA haters are beside themselves because he didn't have Dixon running around like a madman looking like a fool.... mind you Ben was pulled from the line up on FRIDAY..

It's a sad day in Steeler football when our OC has to put up mega numbers because our DC can't be criticized due to his past success...

I will agree it was a team loss, but for BA to have called a perfect game I would say we should have won. The team needs alot of improvement all around, and I'm not saying fire BA, but a perfectly called game it was not.

Starlifter
11-30-2009, 02:16 AM
he doesn't get a free pass BUT as i've been saying all night. our 3rd string QB handed the defense the lead with just over 6 to go.......it wasn't good enough.

3rd and 22.

Steel Life
11-30-2009, 02:35 AM
Far from a perfect game by BA (or LeBeau for that matter) as he seemed reluctant to roll Dennis out & there were no quick hitches to the TEs or RBs to slow down the Ravens. Also, with Foster also making his first start & the running game at a premium, why not put Johnson in the backfield as a FB? And what happened to the WR screens that were working in the first half? The Ravens DBs were playing off & the WR screen is a lot less risky than a pass into the middle of the field. And what's with running Moore on draws the whole stadium knows is coming? If Mendenhall is your lead back then give him the rock! Now you've got me all worked up....

feltdizz
11-30-2009, 03:03 AM
Far from a perfect game by BA (or LeBeau for that matter) as he seemed reluctant to roll Dennis out & there were no quick hitches to the TEs or RBs to slow down the Ravens. Also, with Foster also making his first start & the running game at a premium, why not put Johnson in the backfield as a FB? And what happened to the WR screens that were working in the first half? The Ravens DBs were playing off & the WR screen is a lot less risky than a pass into the middle of the field. And what's with running Moore on draws the whole stadium knows is coming? If Mendenhall is your lead back then give him the rock! Now you've got me all worked up....

the wr screen can only be called so much...
We kept the TE in to block a lot tonight...
we ran the draw to use their last time out and it worked...
Mend had 25 touches..

with all your questions we had the lead.. again, with 6 minutes left and the D blew it. look at the big picture and the real elephant in the room...

Steel Life
11-30-2009, 03:21 AM

the wr screen can only be called so much...
We kept the TE in to block a lot tonight...
we ran the draw to use their last time out and it worked...
Mend had 25 touches..

with all your questions we had the lead.. again, with 6 minutes left and the D blew it. look at the big picture and the real elephant in the room...
I know...& I called out the defensive players & LeBeau after last week as well. As for your comments...all true. But with a condensed playbook play repetition is inevitable & the way that they were playing zone in the 2nd half, the WR screens would've still worked. I don't know...I'm tired & pissed & need to chew on this a while.

phillyesq
11-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Immediately after the game last night, my first reaction was to blame Arians. Upon further consideration, I'm sticking with that.

Arians called a great game prior to OT. I love establishing the run early, and give big props to Mendy and the OLine for executing. The early run game set up play action, which Dixon used effectively. The TD that Dixon scored, using Wallace to create misdirection and taking advantage of Dixon's speed, was a great call.

Late in the 4th, it became apparent that Dixon was not going to sit back and pick apart a zone. He got lucky and narrowly avoided one pick. So on third and six, rather than misdirection, a roll out, a quick screen (which hadn't been used for a few quarters), BA calls a play with no imagination, the Ravens take advantage of Dixon with a great defensive call, and we all know the rest.

The OT play calling was bad, and Arians and Tomlin deserve the blame for that. There is plenty of blame to go around in this one, including the D and special teams, but I'm laying this one on BA.

papillon
11-30-2009, 09:16 AM

It wasn't a perfect game, but it was good enough to win and he had the Steelers in a position to win the game. The game plan that I saw was run the ball, put Dixon in a position to succeed and let your defense win the game. It all worked except for a 3rd and 22 and then followed that with a bad defensive call on 4th and 5. How do you call a defense that puts Farrior one-on-one with Ray Rice in the slot? Help me with that one.

Pappy

NorthCoast
11-30-2009, 09:25 AM

It wasn't a perfect game, but it was good enough to win and he had the Steelers in a position to win the game. The game plan that I saw was run the ball, put Dixon in a position to succeed and let your defense win the game. It all worked except for a 3rd and 22 and then followed that with a bad defensive call on 4th and 5. How do you call a defense that puts Farrior one-on-one with Ray Rice in the slot? Help me with that one.

Pappy

Gotta agree with you on this one. They had Timmons, I think, covering Heap so I don't know if switching that coverage would have been better but Heap was invisible for most of the game...Rice on the otherhand was on fire.

SteelAbility
11-30-2009, 09:31 AM
BA did some good things but there was also some serious :wft is this sh*t ...

1) The play calling on our final drive (if you can call it that) in regulation. Didn't think about the possibility of not getting a 1st down. What do we do? Go pocket passer with a guy who, at that point, was about 2 for 9 in the 2nd half. Took all of 12 seconds off the clock and damn near lost the game in regulation because of it. TERRIBLE PLAY CALLING THERE. Keep the ball on the ground, possibly even call a QB draw given that Dixon is ... oh ... REALLY GOOD WITH HIS FEET. :HeadBanger

2) The final drive at the end of the 1st half. We got the ball out to the 40 with about 40 seconds to go and made no serious further attempt. I think we had at least one timeout. If we can move the ball 25 yards there to the 35 we have a 50/50 shot at 3. Sure could have used those 3 points at the end, don't ya think?

3) Simply not calling more run plays for Dixon. This just in. You work FROM your strength TO your weakness. Not vice-versa.

papillon
11-30-2009, 09:47 AM
BA did some good things but there was also some serious :wft is this sh*t ...

1) The play calling on our final drive (if you can call it that) in regulation. Didn't think about the possibility of not getting a 1st down. What do we do? Go pocket passer with a guy who, at that point, was about 2 for 9 in the 2nd half. Took all of 12 seconds off the clock and damn near lost the game in regulation because of it. TERRIBLE PLAY CALLING THERE. Keep the ball on the ground, possibly even call a QB draw given that Dixon is ... oh ... REALLY GOOD WITH HIS FEET. :HeadBanger

Agreed and this os part of the reason the game wasn't perfectly called. I was glad to see them protecting him early, but late in the game I would have liked to see them let him do what he does best even with the risk of injury. One other thing that should be noted, the Steelers coaching staff had Dixon put the plays into the game plan that he was comfortable running and that paid off in a big way, because, he didn't make a bad decision until over time, unfortunately.

2) The final drive at the end of the 1st half. We got the ball out to the 40 with about 40 seconds to go and made no serious further attempt. I think we had at least one timeout. If we can move the ball 25 yards there to the 35 we have a 50/50 shot at 3. Sure could have used those 3 points at the end, don't ya think?

Eh, I was happy to see them run the clock out, get to halftime and regroup for the second half.

3) Simply not calling more run plays for Dixon. This just in. You work FROM your strength TO your weakness. Not vice-versa.

I agree with this only during the final quarter and OT, up until that point the Steelers were in the game and couldn't afford to lose Dixon to injury. Once they got to the 4th quarter and were in a position to win the game they should have gone for broke.

Pappy

JDSteeler
11-30-2009, 10:56 AM

Dude, just stop giving any praise to BA, he's a mole and a dumb SOB!! Lebeau is not without blame, that's true, but BA has had alot more issues for a much longer period of
time!!!

JD

Leper Friend
11-30-2009, 11:03 AM

Dude, just stop giving any praise to BA, he's a mole and a dumb SOB!! Lebeau is not without blame, that's true, but BA has had alot more issues for a much longer period of
time!!!

JD
Still doesn't apply to last night. The 3rd string QB got us a lead and the so called "great" defense once again let it go. How does everyone else know that James Farrior can't cover anyone except our coordinator ?

papillon
11-30-2009, 11:03 AM

time!!!

JD

Not this year, the offense has done its job more often than not; the defense has allowed too many games to slip away late.

Pappy

Steeler Mafia
11-30-2009, 11:23 AM
BA called the perfect game??!? I don't think so. However, I will go as far to say it wasn't his fault that we lost. His playcalling was very conservative, for the most part, which is what I would expect when playing a 3rd string QB in his first NFL start. He made sure that Dixon was as comfortable as he could be. I thought it was pretty cool how everyone on the Offense tried to help Dixon out. From calling and pointing out the blitzes before the snap, to protecting Dixon by holding oncoming blitzers, even dragging them to the ground, to keep them from absolutely crushing the young QB. All in all, I was impressed with how Dixon handled himself throughout the game.

LouSteel
11-30-2009, 11:40 AM
time!!!

JD

This D has looked shaky since the Superbowl last year. We aren't the same, #1 or not.

The O -- Arians included -- put us in a position to win with a third-string QB making his first start. Were they perfect? Hell no, and I still have to blame BA for crappy playcalling towards the end.

But when the "#1 D" cannot stop a team on third and twenty-friggin-two, we've got a big problem.

When four out of our five losses come with our "#1 D" giving up leads late in games, we've got a huge problem.

Defense wins championships, and this "#1 D" isn't going to win sheeit.

Leper Friend
11-30-2009, 11:55 AM
time!!!

JD

This D has looked shaky since the Superbowl last year. We aren't the same, #1 or not.

The O -- Arians included -- put us in a position to win with a third-string QB making his first start. Were they perfect? Hell no, and I still have to blame BA for crappy playcalling towards the end.

But when the "#1 D" cannot stop a team on third and twenty-friggin-two, we've got a big problem.

When four out of our five losses come with our "#1 D" giving up leads late in games, we've got a huge problem.

Defense wins championships, and this "#1 D" isn't going to win sheeit.
Well said.

The offensive gameplan was far from perfect , I would have liked to see Dixon's legs more of a factor , but it certainly was good enough to win. If you told me last night they would have the lead late in the 4th I never would have believed it.

The D on the hand makes me sick .The leads they have given up to sub par offenses is embarassing. And James farrior should never be on the field on 3rd and anything longer than 2.

aggiebones
11-30-2009, 11:58 AM
I'd say things were done properly for about 3.5 quarters. I was begging for the QB run earlier, but it fit better where Arians used it.

But why not have him run again? No you don't want him running all night, but when the game was tight and in OT, he should have run a few more roll outs and maybe some play action runs similar to the one they ran.

I think if they had 1 more designed play left to run, they could have won the game on that alone, either late in reg or OT.

They could have used it to run more clock in regulation as well. They came out and threw 2 straight incompletions, then ran on 3rd and long to use some clock. I just don't understand why they didn't use a 'couple' more runs. Not 5-10 more, just maybe 3-4 total all night.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-30-2009, 12:33 PM

$$$$$

Arians called a few good plays...Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
I thought his play-calling left a LOT to be desired. This is a game we should have won, and BA deserves as much of the blame for the loss as anyone. That's not to let LeBeau and the soft defense off the hook by any means.

Steelerphile
11-30-2009, 05:42 PM
When the Steelers got the ball at their own 45 yard line in OT. BA needed to be more creative. That was the opportunity they worked for and all he did was the predictable handoffs on 1st and 2nd down and short pass on 3rd down.

I definitely think a misdirection play which ended with Dixon trying to run for a gain was called for. The 1st couple time Dixon runs, he looks like a gazelle pulling away from the lions. Then he doesn't use that talent when all the Steelers needed was a couple 1st downs or one big run (by Dixon).

ikestops85
11-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Don't some of you guys realize that we were one freakin sack away from having Tyler Palko in the game? Sure it would have been nice to see Dixon use his running ability more but certainly not worth the risk at any point in the game.

NWNewell
11-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Against the Ravens, with a 3rd string QB who played one NFL series, on a moments notice, to put Dixon and the offense in position to have some success and put together 17 points is very good!

I'm a big critic of BA, but my hat is off to him on this one. :Clap

Not sure what you were expecting under these circumstances.

spyboots
11-30-2009, 10:08 PM
But his usual horrible play-calling in the last minutes of both the 4th quarter and in OT. This is the 5th game now we've lost due to his last-few-minutes incompetency. Fire him and hire Weis?

Vindrow
11-30-2009, 10:20 PM
But his usual horrible play-calling in the last minutes of both the 4th quarter and in OT. This is the 5th game now we've lost due to his last-few-minutes incompetency. Fire him and hire Weis?

Hell, hire anyone....including the one-armed poo flinging monkey he could be as good as
Arians.

Flasteel
11-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Immediately after the game last night, my first reaction was to blame Arians. Upon further consideration, I'm sticking with that.

Arians called a great game prior to OT. I love establishing the run early, and give big props to Mendy and the OLine for executing. The early run game set up play action, which Dixon used effectively. The TD that Dixon scored, using Wallace to create misdirection and taking advantage of Dixon's speed, was a great call.

Late in the 4th, it became apparent that Dixon was not going to sit back and pick apart a zone. He got lucky and narrowly avoided one pick. So on third and six, rather than misdirection, a roll out, a quick screen (which hadn't been used for a few quarters), BA calls a play with no imagination, the Ravens take advantage of Dixon with a great defensive call, and we all know the rest.

The OT play calling was bad, and Arians and Tomlin deserve the blame for that. There is plenty of blame to go around in this one, including the D and special teams, but I'm laying this one on BA.

Perfectly stated brother. I don't have too much of a problem with the playcalling until late in the game and especially overtime...well, except for the decision to run out the final minute and a half at the end of the first half.

It was ridiculous and it happens time and time again.