PDA

View Full Version : Draft Strategy: Reload on D?

steelernation77
11-30-2009, 01:34 AM
I'm not giving up on this year, but with the D playing the way it is I think this is pertinent. Our defense is clearly starting to show its age. I think this year is the year to reload on D in the draft. Give the rooks a few years to play behind guys like Hampton, Farrior and A. Smith and then let them take over. If we wait to restock we could end up having to play a bunch of unproven players down the road.

I say we go CB in the first, someone who could challenge Willie right away, and then look at FS, NT, and ILBs in the next few rounds. If a big time NT is available in the first it might also be a good selection.

Chadman
11-30-2009, 01:44 AM
Hampton is off contract, oldish & will be in high demand. The chances of the Steelers keeping him are....'slim' (Don't get to use that word around Casey much). His back up is older in Hoke, and not as good. The need to solidify the NT position is a priority.

The Steelers drafted 2 CB's this year in Keenan Lewis & Joe Burnett- neither have made an impact this season. The Steelers definately need an upgrade at CB- but do you stick with this years rookies or draft a high round player?

There is ZERO depth at Safety behind Troy & Clark- and for Chadman, Clark is only alright, but made to look good with Troy in the game. 2 years in a row the Steelers had an opportunity to improve the FS position within the first 2 rounds. Instead we have Ty Carter & Ryan Mundy.

Farrior is looking old- as you'd expect from a 35 year old. So the Steelers re-signed him...hmmmm...Now- they COULD have drafted Malualuga in Round 1, but didn't. Will they regret that decision in time?

The Steelers DID draft Ziggy, which is good, but then they re-signed Keisel, taking away Ziggy's potential starting position. Could Ziggy be a possible 4-3 DT if the Steelers shift?

feltdizz
11-30-2009, 01:58 AM
we need ball hawking DB's.. period. everything else can wait. Sure we were pushed off the ball a little but we can find big uglies later in the draft. We need to draft DB, DB and DB...
and then draft another DB.. and they all need hands..

I like Clark but he needs to stop looking for the hit when the ball is hitting his body..

Steel Life
11-30-2009, 02:10 AM
Drafting for the D was already a priority before this game, now it's a must. Our D has weakened up the middle with Casey & Farrior not getting it done & our DBs are average. We need the next generation of DBs to step up because Carter & Townsend aren't getting it done & Clark can't cover all the mistakes by himself. And with a nod to the future...the replacement for Harrison must be found soon.

Oviedo
11-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Hampton is off contract, oldish & will be in high demand. The chances of the Steelers keeping him are....'slim' (Don't get to use that word around Casey much). His back up is older in Hoke, and not as good. The need to solidify the NT position is a priority.

The Steelers drafted 2 CB's this year in Keenan Lewis & Joe Burnett- neither have made an impact this season. The Steelers definately need an upgrade at CB- but do you stick with this years rookies or draft a high round player?

There is ZERO depth at Safety behind Troy & Clark- and for Chadman, Clark is only alright, but made to look good with Troy in the game. 2 years in a row the Steelers had an opportunity to improve the FS position within the first 2 rounds. Instead we have Ty Carter & Ryan Mundy.

Farrior is looking old- as you'd expect from a 35 year old. So the Steelers re-signed him...hmmmm...Now- they COULD have drafted Malualuga in Round 1, but didn't. Will they regret that decision in time?

The Steelers DID draft Ziggy, which is good, but then they re-signed Keisel, taking away Ziggy's potential starting position. Could Ziggy be a possible 4-3 DT if the Steelers shift?

I generally agree with your assessment. I think they retain Hampton for one more season because there will not be a CBA and they can tag him.

I toally agree that the Steelers need to target Safety as a priority this season. You are correct in that they have nothing behind Clark and Troy and Troy looks to be missing games every year because of how hard he plays. We have seen with him out we are not the same defense.

Hood is absolutely able to play 4-3 DT and would probably do better in thatrole than he ever will as a 3-4 DE. Hood is a penetrating DT who beats the OL with quickness when let loose to attack. I think everyone is seeing what I have been saying for years--Kiesel is a beast and if he was playing 4-3 DE he would be a star.

I'd like to see them restock defense in the draft and go Safety and ILB in the first couple of rounds. I think Burnett and Lewis will develop into solid players given the opportunity. They need to if Gay doesn't get his act together.

Inetersting you bring up the 4-3 again. I've been saying for a couple of years that the complexity of the current 3-4 makes it too hard for younger players to contribute early. I still think we can go 4-3 easier than most believe possible even though we are still among the best 3-4 teams. Not sure we have the personnel to sustain that.

phillyesq
11-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I agree that the upcoming draft should focus on defense.

Willie Gay is by far the weakest link on defense. Finding a replacement for him is priority number 1. Townsend also seems to be showing his age. I hope that Burnett will be able to contribute as the nickel/dime back, but I don't think that anybody knows that the Steelers have in Lewis. It would be great if he is able to step into a starting role, but I'm not sure if I have a lot of faith in him.

I completely agree with the need to upgrade the safety position. I think that Carter is a capable fill-in, but he has limitations. He is more effective near the LOS than he is in coverage. A ballhawking safety would be a huge upgrade to this defense.

Hampton might come back for one more year if tagged, but the Steelers need a long term solution at NT. It is imperative that they address that need in the upcoming draft, regardless of the type of scheme they want to use.

Key Fox has proven that he is more than capable as a fill-in LB. Adding a developmental OLB and ILB who can contribute on special teams in the mid-late rounds makes a lot of sense.

LouSteel
11-30-2009, 12:57 PM
I think the biggest question is one of scheme.

We've picked some players up -- Gay, Hood, Timmons -- who are real head scratchers for the 3-4 we play.

If we start talking about a 4-3 cover 2, these guys become prototypical players...

Gay is a cover 2 CB. I watched him at UofL and that's where he shined. A little more time in the weight room and he will be fine at CB in a cover 2.

Put Ziggy beside Smith and we've got the DT covered. Keisel's resigning then makes sense, as he gets to slide out to DE with Woodley.

Timmons has the speed to be a stud in the cover 2. Of course, out of all these guys I think he has the speed to be a stud in just about any D. But he will transition well to a WLB.

Our biggest concern -- if we switch, of course -- becomes MLB and safety. Farrior looks old, and I'm not sure he has the speed we would need. Clark is serviceable but only looks great when Troy is there. And Troy plays so hard that his career will be on the down side sooner than later. But if we put him out in space, Troy's speed will make him an unstoppable force.

A switch to Cover 2 makes sense. Blitzing Troy less extends his life. We get the best players on the field. Gay's weakness goes away. But we need to draft a MLB and depth at safety to be sure.

phillyesq
11-30-2009, 01:24 PM

We've picked some players up -- Gay, Hood, Timmons -- who are real head scratchers for the 3-4 we play.

If we start talking about a 4-3 cover 2, these guys become prototypical players...

Gay is a cover 2 CB. I watched him at UofL and that's where he shined. A little more time in the weight room and he will be fine at CB in a cover 2.

Put Ziggy beside Smith and we've got the DT covered. Keisel's resigning then makes sense, as he gets to slide out to DE with Woodley.

Timmons has the speed to be a stud in the cover 2. Of course, out of all these guys I think he has the speed to be a stud in just about any D. But he will transition well to a WLB.

Our biggest concern -- if we switch, of course -- becomes MLB and safety. Farrior looks old, and I'm not sure he has the speed we would need. Clark is serviceable but only looks great when Troy is there. And Troy plays so hard that his career will be on the down side sooner than later. But if we put him out in space, Troy's speed will make him an unstoppable force.

A switch to Cover 2 makes sense. Blitzing Troy less extends his life. We get the best players on the field. Gay's weakness goes away. But we need to draft a MLB and depth at safety to be sure.

I'm not sure that Gay is suited to play in any defense. He reportedly added 10-15 pounds of muscle in the offseason -- perhaps the extra size has taken away too much speed/quickness.

As for the switch to a cover 2, the biggest problem is age on the defensive line. Put Hood and Smith at DT. You then have a 30+ starter coming off a major injury backed up by a 30+ veteran. IMO, you need at least 8 or 9 defensive lineman to run a 4-3. Where is the depth at DE? Who backs up Kiesel? Or Woodley? Will Woodley be less effective if he takes the pounding that a 4-3 DE takes. And doesn't the move to a 4-3 take away most of what James Harrison, the reigning D-MVP, does best?

Steeler Mafia
11-30-2009, 01:35 PM
Other than getting a monster O-Lineman that has mobility, I agree that we need to spend the majority of this draft on the Defensive side of the ball.

We need:

A backup at safety.
A shutdown/ball hawk CB.
Inside LB to cultivate behind Farrior.
D-Line, D-Line, D-Line, D-Line

Oviedo
11-30-2009, 01:45 PM

I'm not sure that Gay is suited to play in any defense. He reportedly added 10-15 pounds of muscle in the offseason -- perhaps the extra size has taken away too much speed/quickness.

As for the switch to a cover 2, the biggest problem is age on the defensive line. Put Hood and Smith at DT. You then have a 30+ starter coming off a major injury backed up by a 30+ veteran. IMO, you need at least 8 or 9 defensive lineman to run a 4-3. Where is the depth at DE? Who backs up Kiesel? Or Woodley? Will Woodley be less effective if he takes the pounding that a 4-3 DE takes. And doesn't the move to a 4-3 take away most of what James Harrison, the reigning D-MVP, does best?

Stocking the 4-3 defensive line is far easier than replacing the current 3-4 DL we have. Nose Tackles are rare as gold and that will be a major issue replacing Hampton. Remember that the 3-4 forces us to eliminate most of the best college 4-3 DEs from consideration for our DL because we have to look for DT with DE athletic ability to play the 3-4. That is a huge part of the resource pool we ignore. If we take a college DE and convert him to OLB it is usually a 2-3 year process.

There also would be quite a few free agent 4-3 DL that we could get easier than finding more 3-4 DL. The transition to the 4-3 would not be as difficult as many would believe.

NW Steeler
11-30-2009, 01:57 PM
As many have hinted at for a couple of years now, maybe Tomlin is smarter than some think and he is getting the players in here to convert to the 4-3 that he knows inside and out. Woodley, Timmons, Hood...all are being fit into the 3-4, but ultimately are better suited for the 4-3. If they would have traded up and drafted a premier MLB in this last draft, then the writing would have really been on the wall. If LeBeau retires, will we see the switch?

Oviedo
11-30-2009, 02:22 PM
As many have hinted at for a couple of years now, maybe Tomlin is smarter than some think and he is getting the players in here to convert to the 4-3 that he knows inside and out. Woodley, Timmons, Hood...all are being fit into the 3-4, but ultimately are better suited for the 4-3. If they would have traded up and drafted a premier MLB in this last draft, then the writing would have really been on the wall. If LeBeau retires, will we see the switch?

I agree

NW Steeler
11-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Hopefully we can put off the 10' season talk for a couple of months. That would be my choice for now.

SidSmythe
11-30-2009, 06:14 PM
You friggin' guys have been talking about the 4-3 Cover 2 for 3 yrs now and it hasn't happened. It's pure speculation to the nth degree!

- Ziggy Hood is a 3-4 DE
- Troy is half the weapon as a Cover 2 deep safety
- Harrison and Woodley are a bonified OLB pair. Putting Harrison at 4-3 OLB will keep make him a part time pass rusher. Moving him to 4-3 OLB would be as dumb as moving Kampman to 3-4 OLB up in Green Bay.
- oh yeah, you all are speculators and can take the :moon

NW Steeler
11-30-2009, 06:45 PM
I don't think anyone said it would happen overnight. The personnel on hand when Tomlin became the coach was obviously set up for the 3-4. LeBeau was the coordinator. Tomlin sure as hell wasn't going to change to a 4-3 right off the bat. I think that there is validity to the fact that 2 of Tomlin's 3 drafts have brought in guys that could certainly play in the 4-3. One LeBeau retires, all bets are off. It's may be "speculation", but it is more likely a bunch of guys writing on a board about their team, so lighten up Francis!
:wft

buckeyehoppy
11-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Other than getting a monster O-Lineman that has mobility, I agree that we need to spend the majority of this draft on the Defensive side of the ball.

We need:

A backup at safety.
A shutdown/ball hawk CB.
Inside LB to cultivate behind Farrior.
D-Line, D-Line, D-Line, D-Line

You owe me a new computer. You know why? Because I just spit coffee all over it because I burst out laughing at your assertion that the Pittsburgh Steelers would actually draft an offensive lineman... ANY offensive lineman.

This last paragraph is brought to you by buckeyehoppy's House of Sarcasm. If it's a real joke, you know buckeyehoppy will have concise perspective.

As long as Benjamin is QB, we will not be drafting any OL protection of real value. IOW, the Steelers will need to draft his potential successor before his contract ends. And, FWIW, Colbert's draft strategy supports Benjamin's desires.

Don't be up in arms, SM. I'm in full agreement with what you believe our draft strategy should be. If we bring in the 4-3, our DL is going to need two players high in the draft. We need a S anyway. I am willing to give Lewis and Burnett a chance to prove their mettle at CB. Drafting a CB any higher than the 3rd round seems nearly irrational right now, considering we drafted so heavily for the secondary in the last 3 drafts. These players need to show us they can play. The Steelers can't afford to keep drafting players for the same position that can't play. That's what will turn the Steelers into the Clowns if Colbert can't evaluate talent properly.

I feel like we will be going heavy on D in the 2010 Draft. The only real needs we have on O that are worthy of a pick in the upper half of the draft is OL. As of now, buckeyehoppy has stated his position on the OL. If the Steelers haven't had a sense of urgency about Benjamin's protection to this point, that will not change any time soon. Useless to fantasize about something we aren't going to get. We've won two SBs with an average, at best, OL... let's just let that stat lie where it lays.

Chadman
11-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Got to agree with buckeye...no OL will be drafted too early. To be honest though- with all the current players being pretty young and developing, who would you really replace?

Also agree about CB. It'll be a complete waste on Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett to go and draft another CB early.

So here's the thing- if the Steelers don't resign Hampton, the #1 need, regardless of the Steelers being 3-4 or 4-3, will be a run-stuffing DT. After that, FS needs at the least an upgrade in depth- preferably with a playmaking FS. Farrior's age dictates a need for an ILB- 3rd priority. Chadman will add #2 TE to the mix- particularly if Arians remains. OLB development will be needed. And a kicker. DE is still needed, more so if they go 4-3.

buckeyehoppy
11-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Got to agree with buckeye...no OL will be drafted too early. To be honest though- with all the current players being pretty young and developing, who would you really replace?

Also agree about CB. It'll be a complete waste on Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett to go and draft another CB early.

So here's the thing- if the Steelers don't resign Hampton, the #1 need, regardless of the Steelers being 3-4 or 4-3, will be a run-stuffing DT. After that, FS needs at the least an upgrade in depth- preferably with a playmaking FS. Farrior's age dictates a need for an ILB- 3rd priority. Chadman will add #2 TE to the mix- particularly if Arians remains. OLB development will be needed. And a kicker. DE is still needed, more so if they go 4-3.

I'd say this, Chadman: it's not just that the Steelers are going to (again) go late in the draft until they draft for the OL. I'm saying that we'd be better off not drafting OL AT ALL if we are going to wait until after the 3rd round.

Ben doesn't believe his protection is inadequate. You even said that they are "young and developing". Why would we need it? Colbert has won two SBs and has done so largely ignoring the OL high in the draft. Why should that attitude change now?

If you wait for the end of the draft to take trench warriors, I think we can expect the type of results that we get from the Steelers O: lots of sacks and hurried throws, poor decision taking, etc. Benjamin's style of play requires that he have bruisers up front that can keep the rush off for 5 or more seconds. Might be unrealistic to expect that, but that's the kind of protection he needs for the way he plays.

I've harped on the Steelers for the need to provide Benjamin the protection HE needs up front. They have ignored that need... while giving him US$102M over the life of his current deal with the team. I say, let the Steelers live with that. If Benjamin is constantly getting his head beat off or just taking a heavy generalized beating, it's likely to affect the way he plays for the remainder of his contract. Where's the value in the FO watching the largest investment they have made to a single player when he may be spending more time on the bench or the injury report than actually playing?

Let's just say that I hope Benjamin proves me wrong.

Chadman
11-30-2009, 09:09 PM

I'd say this, Chadman: it's not just that the Steelers are going to (again) go late in the draft until they draft for the OL. I'm saying that we'd be better off not drafting OL AT ALL if we are going to wait until after the 3rd round.

Ben doesn't believe his protection is inadequate. You even said that they are "young and developing". Why would we need it? Colbert has won two SBs and has done so largely ignoring the OL high in the draft. Why should that attitude change now?

If you wait for the end of the draft to take trench warriors, I think we can expect the type of results that we get from the Steelers O: lots of sacks and hurried throws, poor decision taking, etc. Benjamin's style of play requires that he have bruisers up front that can keep the rush off for 5 or more seconds. Might be unrealistic to expect that, but that's the kind of protection he needs for the way he plays.

I've harped on the Steelers for the need to provide Benjamin the protection HE needs up front. They have ignored that need... while giving him US$102M over the life of his current deal with the team. I say, let the Steelers live with that. If Benjamin is constantly getting his head beat off or just taking a heavy generalized beating, it's likely to affect the way he plays for the remainder of his contract. Where's the value in the FO watching the largest investment they have made to a single player when he may be spending more time on the bench or the injury report than actually playing?

The #1 QB in the NFL is protected by a 6th round LT, a 4th round OG, an undrafted Center, an undrafted RG & a 4th round RT.

Yet, every year, Peyton Manning succeeds. It's not the round they are selected in- it's how they fit the system.

buckeyehoppy
11-30-2009, 11:50 PM

The #1 QB in the NFL is protected by a 6th round LT, a 4th round OG, an undrafted Center, an undrafted RG & a 4th round RT.

Yet, every year, Peyton Manning succeeds. It's not the round they are selected in- it's how they fit the system.

Very well. What do ya think that says about our talent evaluators?

Also, Peyton doesn't spend all day in the pocket which helps a little bit.

I made a statement earlier that Ben needs the kind of guys protecting him that fit HIS style of play. That's something that Colbert, and the rest of his Brain Fart Trust, hasn't figured out.

Oviedo
12-01-2009, 08:44 AM

Very well. What do ya think that says about our talent evaluators?

Also, Peyton doesn't spend all day in the pocket which helps a little bit.

I made a statement earlier that Ben needs the kind of guys protecting him that fit HIS style of play. That's something that Colbert, and the rest of his Brain Fart Trust, hasn't figured out.

Do you really think Colbert or any GM min this league could find OL to hold their blocks as along as required for Ben? Put Ben behind any of the better OLs in the league and that OL will look like it is struggling too. Keep in mind it is more than Ben just holding the ball and looking for opening downfield it is also how Ben moves in the pocket. His movement laterally and vertically in the pocket constantly changes the angles that the pass rushers are taking. The pass rushers can see that but the OL has their backs to Ben and they don't see that and they are forced to react to the chages in direction from which the pass rushers are attacking.

Just watch Brady and Manning. They drop back to pretty much the same spot all the time and therefore the "geometry" of the angles the pass rushers are taking and the blockers need to defend rarely changes. This helps the OL alot.

steelblood
12-01-2009, 08:55 AM
we need ball hawking DB's.. period. everything else can wait. Sure we were pushed off the ball a little but we can find big uglies later in the draft. We need to draft DB, DB and DB...

I like Clark but he needs to stop looking for the hit when the ball is hitting his body..

Everything else can wait? Do you realize that without a good starting NT, we will no longer be able to stop the run? I'd say NT and DB are both high priorities.

Oviedo
12-01-2009, 09:46 AM

Everything else can wait? Do you realize that without a good starting NT, we will no longer be able to stop the run? I'd say NT and DB are both high priorities.

I agree. In reality I think that there will be a hihgher chance to get a top player for CB or Safety in Round 1 than NT. Just not alot of good NT available and this will be a problem for this defense moving forward. I think they tag Hampton for one more year to develop someone.

There will be a couple of really good safeties on the board when we pick between #20 and #32. Unfortunately Taylor Mays will be long gone (unless we keep losing and move up the board). Would love him and Troy together. The top safeties on the board will likely be:

Darrell Stuckey, 6'1" 205, Kansas
Nate Allen, 6'2", 206, South Florida

Both are very good in coverage and have return abilities too.

JTP53609
12-01-2009, 09:54 AM
, i have to think it is time to get younger and faster, we NEED a corner, middle linebacker and a nose tackle in the next few years, hopefully burnett or lewis can step in at corner and excel so maybe we dont need a corner but Farrior needs a replacement and hampton will need a replacement, our defense is showing its age, there is no shame in that we have kirchke, smith, farrior, hampton and a few other guys on the wrong side of thier prime and it is affecting us...
i am not bashing the defense but it is time to regroup, because it is not working this year