PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully, not an Over Reaction..

Chadman
11-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Well, the Steelers lose again, and again, by a short margin.

Chadman will go on the record now & say that the Steelers are done this season. yes, statistically, they are still a chance, but they are not playing at the level required to win their way into the play-offs. They are still a high quality team. It must be difficult to reach the Super Bowl, win it, and back up the next season. Particularly for teams that play emotionally, teams that rely on emotion to drive their success. After all, once you've won everything, there is always a little bit of a let down, a relaxing of the strain you put yourself under.

It seems that this is where the Steelers are right now. Last year they were hungry. They wanted to win. they found ways to win, even when they should have lost. Now it's the reverse. They find ways to lose, by small margins, games they could win- but don't.

Yes, there are injuries. But every team suffers injuries. It's a symptom, but not an excuse to failure.

Certainly the coaching staff need to take some blame. It's hard to critisise a SB winning coaching staff, but this year they appear unprepared for what is before them. Yes, arians still makes some head scratching calls. But LeBeau doesn't have the team playing with fire in their butt. Tomlin doesn't have the guys playing for him like he did. ST is always a good indication of where a team is at- and looking at how the Steelers ST have performed, it's obvious they don't have their heads in the game.

Are the players to blame? Yes, to a point, of course they are. Some bad decisions, some poor individual performances. But nothing that couldn't be survived..if not that every other player is making the same mistakes.

So for Chadman, the season is over, even if the Steelers can still make it. It's not a horribly bad thing. Hey- we won it all last season. But it's a let down that this was what we followed it up with.

Some changes are required, tweaks is more accurate- the loss of an older, jaded player here, the inclusion of a hungry, younger player three. The Steelers will continue to be thereabouts.

Just not this year.

Steelhere10
11-30-2009, 01:06 AM
It was over after the loss last week , then Ben not playing tonight. That put the final stab in us.

grotonsteel
11-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Should Steelers tank the season for better draft position???

brothervad
11-30-2009, 01:11 AM
But wait...Tomlin just said they will unleash hell in December. I can't buy your comments Chadman because Tomlin just said that.

Ok I am being sarcastic...talk is cheap and Tomlin, while I like him, his postgame has grown stale on me.

brothervad

papillon
11-30-2009, 01:12 AM
Too much football left this season to write off the season. Feel free to do so, but teams in the hunt are going to lose games and the Steelers play the Ravens again. Right now the goal has to be to get into the tournament and see what happens.

Pappy

SteelBucks
11-30-2009, 01:12 AM
Should Steelers tank the season for better draft position???

You're kidding right?

At 6-5, they're not tanking anything.

Steelhere10
11-30-2009, 01:13 AM
But wait...Tomlin just said they will unleash hell in December. I can't buy your comments Chadman because Tomlin just said that.

Ok I am being sarcastic...talk is cheap and Tomlin, while I like him, his postgame has grown stale on me.

brothervadDid he say that for real ?

Ozey74
11-30-2009, 01:16 AM
Too much football left this season to write off the season. Feel free to do so, but teams in the hunt are going to lose games and the Steelers play the Ravens again. Right now the goal has to be to get into the tournament and see what happens.

Pappy

Agree. Remember the NFC playoff team least likely to reach the SB last year was the Cards. Lots of football left. Keep the faith. All we have to do is reach the post season!

Chadman
11-30-2009, 01:19 AM
:D

Tomlin is looking like a young coach at the moment- learning how difficult it is to be good all the time- to meet expectations all the time.

In hindsight, yeah, maybe Arians should have been punted in the off season. But the same argument could be made for LeBeau who, it hurts to say, looks like he's tanked it this season.

Little changes, little tweaks, and this team competes again. How Tomlin reacts to having his butt spanked this season will be interesting.

As for losing games in order to draft higher- is the higher you draft a guarentee you draft a better player? No- the Steelers should try to win, every week, and come draft day, pick the best player that suits them.

The bigger questions now are, do the Steelers re-tool next season, or re-start? With Casey Hampton being such a pivotal player to the 3-4, older & off contract, with no young guy reday to replace him, is it time to explore other avenues? A 4-3 perhaps?

Despite re-signing Farrior, is it better business to remove him from the roster & play Fox? Or draft an impact ILB?

Should the Steelers grab an 'elite' CB this off season, or give the two rookies from this years draft a shot?

How much more investment is required in the O-Line?

brothervad
11-30-2009, 01:22 AM

Pappy

Pappy,

All I will say is that they will have to be perfect from this point forward. This is very similar to 2005. Given the records this year of everyone in the hunt in the AFC 10-6 is not impossible to get in, but a lot of the Steelers losses (4 of 5) have been AFC teams this year.

My guess is they will have to run the table against Oakland, @ Cleveland, GB, Balt, @ Miami

brothervad

LasVegasGuy
11-30-2009, 01:25 AM

Pappy

Agree. Remember the NFC playoff team least likely to reach the SB last year was the Cards. Lots of football left. Keep the faith. All we have to do is reach the post season!

Personally, I like the Titans chances to make the playoffs before us. When you start 0-6 and could possibly end the season 10-6 you deserve to play for all the marbles. Every week we sit here and praise other teams that beat the teams chasing us. Ridiculous! If we can't take care of business like the Titans are doing then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Wolfhound45
11-30-2009, 01:26 AM
Season is not over with, but our record clearly reflects who we are, rather than who we could be. Saw some positives out of Dennis Dixon tonight (definitely a fan now). Saw plenty of negatives out of the defense. Bottom line, it was their game to win and they let it slip away (again). Hoping that we make it to the dance. However, I am concerned about this team right now. Things are not looking good.

papillon
11-30-2009, 01:27 AM

Pappy

Pappy,

All I will say is that they will have to be perfect from this point forward. This is very similar to 2005. Given the records this year of everyone in the hunt in the AFC 10-6 is not impossible to get in, but a lot of the Steelers losses (4 of 5) have been AFC teams this year.

My guess is they will have to run the table against Oakland, @ Cleveland, GB, Balt, @ Miami

brothervad

So be it then, they have to run the table. Hopefully, Ben gets healthy and Polamalu as well and then lets see what happens. It's not like they couldn't win all of those games, they could lose them all as well. Until the fat lady sings, I won't throw in the towel.

Pappy

feltdizz
11-30-2009, 01:27 AM
We are 6-5 and lost in OT with our 3rd string QB... we are not done but it will be hard and we will need tons of help. How could anyone fire assistant coaches after a SB winning season? Who does that? If we did then we would scream for that coach because we were 6-5.

We can't win them all and we are the SB champs so everyone is gunning for us.. it's unfortunate our D is blowing leads late this year but we all know the ugly truth..

without Troy our D is not anything to brag about..

Lebsteel
11-30-2009, 01:28 AM

Pappy

Pappy,

brothervad

I may have my black and gold glasses on, but I really think they will win their remaining games and make the playoffs. Who knows what will happen then.

SteelBucks
11-30-2009, 01:33 AM
We are 6-5 and lost in OT with our 3rd string QB... we are not done but it will be hard and we will need tons of help. How could anyone fire assistant coaches after a SB winning season? Who does that? If we did then we would scream for that coach because we were 6-5.

We can't win them all and we are the SB champs so everyone is gunning for us.. it's unfortunate our D is blowing leads late this year but we all know the ugly truth..

without Troy our D is not anything to brag about..

It's unbelievable how lost our pass D looks without Troy.

The rest of the season is simple, they have to win out. I know it's unlikely, but it's the only thing keeping me going.

papillon
11-30-2009, 01:33 AM

Pappy

Pappy,

brothervad

I may have my black and gold glasses on, but I really think they will win their remaining games and make the playoffs. Who knows what will happen then.

I'm with ya, I don't know how it will play out, but, the goal has to be to get in and see what happens.

Pappy

feltdizz
11-30-2009, 02:03 AM
I agree we just have to get to the dance.. but if every game comes down to the last possession this season is over.. we have to blow a few teams out and shut some teams down early. I'm all over the place.. I love the excitement and the rush but does every game have to be a nail biter?

I know we are defending a SB so everyone is out for us but I don't think every team is that good that we struggle every sunday..

and my Dad is too old and has a ton of fireworks he can't set off cause we are on the skids. LOL

Steel Life
11-30-2009, 03:07 AM
I don't think we're done as we will be 8-5 after the next two weeks & there's a lot of football left to be played. And hopefully the team will be healthy for the stretch-run & the players will shake the lethargy they operated in all season. That said...it's obvious that the draft needs to address some emerging issues on D.

Steel Life
11-30-2009, 03:12 AM

brothervad
Rather have Tomlin than Rex Ryan, John Harbaugh (who has no grasp of reality) or most of the rest.

AngryAsian
11-30-2009, 08:01 AM
If you take out...

the we've been down this road before,

the all we need to do is win out and get to the dance,

the remaining schedule is vanilla,

the we'll get back Troy and things will be different,

the there's a lot of games left in the season....

all you have is a team that week in and week out seems to be playing some uninspired ball. The "NO CONFIDENCE" seems to permeate every play and I get no sense of urgency. I'm baffled how a Super Bowl calibre team with all this talent lose to teams that are not their equal. Now I know what the under-achieving Colts fans of seasons past must feel like.... THIS BLOWS!!!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-30-2009, 10:35 AM
The only thing over is the division title. The Steelers need to take care of their own. They control their own fate in the division which is finishing second. They have to beat the Ravens in Pittsburgh. They have to finish 2nd to have any shot. The Broncos / Jaguars watch officially starts today. We need them to drop as many games as possible. We have the head to head against the Broncos which is good. Our conference record isn't good so we need the Jags to lose in conference. For example, if the Steelers, Broncos, & Jags all win out...the Broncos would be #5 & the Jags #6. The would beat us on conference record. We know what the team is capable of doing. We need to get healthy and make it to the 2nd season. Then records don't matter. The only thing is we will be playing on the road. Big deal...We done that before. Give me Troy & Kemo back and a healthy Ben, I'll play anywhere. Make no excuses, just play football! Nobody has an easy road.

BRONCOS
13 Dec 06 DEN @ KC Arrowhead Stadium 1:00 PM
14 Dec 13 DEN @ IND Lucas Oil Stadium 1:00 PM
15 Dec 20 OAK @ DEN Invesco Field at Mile High 4:05 PM
16 Dec 27 DEN @ PHI Lincoln Financial Field 1:00 PM
17 Jan 03 KC @ DEN Invesco Field at Mile High 4:15 PM

JAGUARS
13 Dec 06 HOU @ JAC Jacksonville Municipal Stadium 1:00 PM
14 Dec 13 MIA @ JAC Jacksonville Municipal Stadium 1:00 PM
15 Dec 17 IND @ JAC Jacksonville Municipal Stadium 8:20 PM
16 Dec 27 JAC @ NE Gillette Stadium 1:00 PM
17 Jan 03 JAC @ CLE Cleveland Browns Stadium 1:00 PM

JTP53609
11-30-2009, 10:41 AM
the steelers will make the playoffs. they will run the table and be 11-5, they will, once they get these 3 wins in a row and are 9-5, they will have the confidence back....

LouSteel
11-30-2009, 11:54 AM
This team is too talented, especially with Ben at the helm, to not make the playoffs.

If we take care of business from here out, we squeak in to a wildcard berth.

But unless Lebeau gets this D firing on all cylinders, we're one and done. I don't care if we're the #1 rated D -- if we keep giving up the lead late, we will not win a championship.

This might not be a bad thing, truly -- the 3-4 isn't fooling anyone. It hasn't since the Superbowl. Lebeau plays the corners 10 yards off the WR, and that means any team can dink and dunk down the field. We've been exposed. And a season like this will force our coaches to re evaluate.

phillyesq
11-30-2009, 12:02 PM
In the 2005 season, after the Steelers lost to the Bengals and went to 7-5, I remember talking to somebody who thought the season was over. I was absolutely convinced that the Steelers would at least make the playoffs. Of course, they did, and we know how that ended. :tt2 :tt2

I don't have the same absolute confident this year, but I absolutely think that the Steelers can make the playoffs this year. The need to take care of business against the Raiders and Browns first. If they get Troy and Ben back, get into the playoffs and get hot, who knows what will happen.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-30-2009, 01:38 PM
This team is too talented, especially with Ben at the helm, to not make the playoffs.

If we take care of business from here out, we squeak in to a wildcard berth.

But unless Lebeau gets this D firing on all cylinders, we're one and done. I don't care if we're the #1 rated D -- if we keep giving up the lead late, we will not win a championship.

This might not be a bad thing, truly -- the 3-4 isn't fooling anyone. It hasn't since the Superbowl. Lebeau plays the corners 10 yards off the WR, and that means any team can dink and dunk down the field. We've been exposed. And a season like this will force our coaches to re evaluate.
We need help to make the playoffs. The Jags have to lose even if we win outright. Or the Broncos must lose. The only thing we control is finishing 2nd in the division which is a must. Other than that, we need help.

SteelAbility
11-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Not ready to jump on board with you yet. There are several things that keep me going ...

1) Our mistakes are correctible
2) We have 3 of the remaining 5 games at home
3) Our remaining schedule is "runnable"

OAK 3-8 (Home)
CLE 1-10 (Home)
GB 7-4 (Road)
BAL 6-5 (Home)
MIA 5-6 (Road)

With 3 of the next 4 being at home, if we can get the GB game then we'll have a lot of confidence going into MIA with MIA hopefully stripped of playoff hope and being unmotivated by then.

Miami's remaining schedule: NE, JAX, TEN, HOU, PIT (very tough)

Essentially the difference between our schedule and BAL lies in MIA (us) versus CHI (them). However, we have BAL at home which is advantage to us, especially if Ben is healthy for that game.

NWNewell
11-30-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm just as down in the dumps right now as most of you. But Pappy is right, everyone is over reacting... as we always do.

At the beginning of the year most thought we would be something like 12-4.

Then after three games when we were 1-2, most thought we were going to miss the playoffs.

Then 5 games later, when we were 6-2, most were back to thinking we would win the division.

Now 3 games later we are 6-5 and most are writing off the Steelers just as they did when they were 1-2.

Not saying it will happen, but the Steelers won 5 straight earlier this year against stiffer competition than we have left after dropping two in a row. So their is no reason the Steelers can't rally and do it again. It might not happen... but the season is far from over.

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Not ready to jump on board with you yet. There are several things that keep me going ...

OAK 3-8 (Home)
CLE 1-10 (Home)
GB 7-4 (Road)
BAL 6-5 (Home)
MIA 5-6 (Road)

With 3 of the next 4 being at home, if we can get the GB game then we'll have a lot of confidence going into MIA with MIA hopefully stripped of playoff hope and being unmotivated by then.

Essentially the difference between our schedule and BAL lies in MIA (us) versus CHI (them). However, we have BAL at home which is advantage to us, especially if Ben is healthy for that game.

Actually, on our schedule, Cleveland is a road game and Green Bay is at home.

LouSteel
11-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Not saying it will happen, but the Steelers won 5 straight earlier this year against stiffer competition than we have left after dropping two in a row. So their is no reason the Steelers can't rally and do it again. It might not happen... but the season is far from over.

I think the difference is that we no longer control our destiny. We need help from other teams to make it to the playoffs.

It's indeed far from over: Jacksonville has a tougher final schedule than we do, and I fully believe we can run the table from here, if we tighten up our defense and fix some of our glaring mistakes.

But the unfortunate truth is that playoff football starts in Oakland. We used up our margin of error and have to be almost perfect from here out.

NWNewell
11-30-2009, 03:00 PM

I think the difference is that we no longer control our destiny. We need help from other teams to make it to the playoffs.

It's indeed far from over: Jacksonville has a tougher final schedule than we do, and I fully believe we can run the table from here, if we tighten up our defense and fix some of our glaring mistakes.

But the unfortunate truth is that playoff football starts in Oakland. We used up our margin of error and have to be almost perfect from here out.

No doubt it won't be easy.... but is it ever really that easy?

We've definitely made it tough... but getting back to the SB was never going to be a pleasure cruise.

Don't get me wrong... I'm concerned... very concerned. But the season isn't over, as some suggest.

SteelCrazy
11-30-2009, 03:01 PM
We have a very good team, however we have had too many injuries to key positions to overcome. A third string QB started this game, although he did enough to win our defense couldn't hold.

Look at the D. Troy is out. Aaron Smith out. Aaron's backup Travis Kirschke out. Travis Kirschke's backup Nick Eason was out. Enter rookie Ziggy Hood and Ray Rice (Ravens RB), who averaged 4.6 yds per.

Chadman made the comment that injuries are not an excuse, however when they take out the most significant players on your team, it makes the weakest links in the chain very breakable. When LeBeau draws up his defense it is with the 11 best players in mind. Losing Troy is almost like losing 2 players. Aaron Smith out is a huge blow to the run support game and it slows down Woodley as well.

To everyone else, it seems Tomlin is in desperation mode because he said he was going to unleash hell on the rest of their opponents in Dec. However, that is a comment coming from a very pissed off coach that intends to smack every team left around like a bitch in heat or a Chadman!

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2009, 03:07 PM
We have a very good team, however we have had too many injuries to key positions to overcome. A third string QB started this game, although he did enough to win our defense couldn't hold.

Look at the D. Troy is out. Aaron Smith out. Aaron's backup Travis Kirschke out. Travis Kirschke's backup Nick Eason was out. Enter rookie Ziggy Hood and Ray Rice (Ravens RB), who averaged 4.6 yds per.

Chadman made the comment that injuries are not an excuse, however when they take out the most significant players on your team, it makes the weakest links in the chain very breakable. When LeBeau draws up his defense it is with the 11 best players in mind. Losing Troy is almost like losing 2 players. Aaron Smith out is a huge blow to the run support game and it slows down Woodley as well.

To everyone else, it seems Tomlin is in desperation mode because he said he was going to unleash hell on the rest of their opponents in Dec. However, that is a comment coming from a very pissed off coach that intends to smack every team left around like a bitch in heat or a Chadman!

Actually, Kirschke was able to start, which is why Eason was deactivated.

brothervad
11-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't think those who are skeptical are in panic mode. I too think it's quite possible to run 5 wins off. But I also have seen how badly this team played against the Chiefs. Yes I said badly--you saw how the Chargers ripped them a new one.

I think this team even without Polomalu can still run with any team in the NFL...I don't think there is any quesiton of that...

the problem is consistency on this team. The Defense all year long seems to take a drive or two off, the offense has been as inconsistent.

I wish I could point to a game this year where the Steelers went out and just totally anhilated an inferior opponent (I mean 5 TD's like the Pats or Colts have done). I know that may be asking a lot, but I just want to see an entire game of Steeler domination.

All in all, the problem with the Steelers this season is that it's like a coin flip from game to game--you are never sure if they will be running on all cylinders (except the ST, you know that's going to suck in every game) and you know that it will always come down to execution or lack thereof late in the game (no blowouts from this team).

I am hopeful, but I also have the knowledge that even 1 loss will be enough to potentially end their season is quite possible (4-1 isn't a bad record and I think Broncos or Jags would take that looking at their respective schedules)...I just think the # of AFC losses has really hurt the Steelers shot and they have to be perfect the rest of the way.

brothervad

SteelCrazy
11-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Actually, Kirschke was able to start, which is why Eason was deactivated.

I saw Ziggy a lot and never saw Travis, so I just assumed he was out, my bad

SteelAbility
11-30-2009, 03:13 PM

OAK 3-8 (Home)
CLE 1-10 (Home)
GB 7-4 (Road)
BAL 6-5 (Home)
MIA 5-6 (Road)

Actually, on our schedule, Cleveland is a road game and Green Bay is at home.

Oops missed that. That's actually better!!!!

Starlifter
11-30-2009, 03:23 PM
i'm not a sceptic nor is there panic. i also remember 2005 and being 7-5. I recall last year how pathetic we were against philly and some of the posts after that.

what concerns me are not the aberrations but the overall trends. injuries mount up and we are consistently losing games in the 4th quarter. last year we would win in the 4th quarter. every game is close and IF we have all our players and they are playing well, we can beat anyone. we've just dug a big hole, it's going to be a tough climb out.

now here's the bright side. in order to make the playoffs we either need to run the table or grab at least 4 out of 5. that means come the first round, we should be very sharp and on quite a nice little winning streak.

buckeyehoppy
11-30-2009, 05:38 PM
The Steelers have the fate of their own season in their own hands... for now.

Win out, and, I'm certain, there is virtually no chance of the Steelers missing at 11-5. Denver, quite frankly, $UCKS. Our win at Mile High was one of our more convincing this season. I'm just as certain that they won't be winning another game on the road (KC, Indy and Philly). Plus, I'm only saying that they lose the road game with KC because they play twice in the last 5 weeks... Denver ain't winning both. Cross Denver off the list of contenders.

Frankly, I am more concerned with JAX. 3 of their last 5 are at home and they have a virtual lock win v. the Clowns on the road. Only the Patophiles game looks eminently loseable. The Steelers need to run the table, or risk being in a tie-breaker situation with JAX which they would win.

Another quite frankly moment, if you will. The last time Benjamin tried to play after a head injury, we started the '06 season at 2-6. We'd better all hope Benjamin reacts 180 degrees differently than he did at the start of that season because if he doesn't, we're f---ing screwed with a telephone pole.

The ONLY time we have been able to have sustained success this season has been when we've been able to put points on the board in a reliable manner. In a couple games, we've been able to do that on D. But, no matter where our D is ranked, they are not reliable at taking the ball away from the opposing offense. Unless that changes, you are putting the onus of scoring wholly on the O which will be directed by a QB who has had a head injury that has cost him one game on the sidelines and, in the past, the same injury has cost his team a playoff spot after a SB win.

Translation: we'd better ramp up our play across the board on this team or they will sitting like chimps on their davenports come the actual post-season. The REAL post-season for the Steelers begins Sunday, December 6th @ 1:00 p.m. EST.

Iron Shiek
11-30-2009, 05:47 PM
We'd better all hope Benjamin reacts 180 degrees differently than he did at the start of that season because if he doesn't, we're f---ing screwed with a telephone pole.

That gave the Asian/Dumping face after reading that: :x

But I agree. I'm taking the "we're not officially out of it, but the trend of play gives me the feeling that we are screwed" approach. We can win out of course, but based on recent history of games (i.e. this entire season), the probability is creeping downward.

Come on men...sack up and win some games.

Chadman
11-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Chadman thinks, perhaps, you may have missed the point he was making.

You are all quoting statistics, schedules & things of that ilk.

But Chadman's point is, regardless of all of that- the Steelers are simply not playing like a play-off team. Unlike last season when they found ways to win games they should have lost, this season they are finding ways to lose games they should win.

Some of you are quoting 2005 as the season to best equate this one too. Chadman disagrees. It's more like 2006, when they were expected to win, but didn't. The problem isn't talent, it isn't injuries- it's attitude. The Steelers talk a good game, but they are simply not playing up to the talk. they have been in a position to win nearly every game they've lost, but bad play from the Steelers has cost them. So they obviously have the talent to be in the contest. And even with injuries, they've been able to compete in every game- so injuries are not the reason.

No, as Chadman said, once they are in a position to win, they fritter it away.

Attitude.

Just like 2006.

buckeyehoppy
11-30-2009, 08:25 PM

But Chadman's point is, regardless of all of that- the Steelers are simply not playing like a play-off team. Unlike last season when they found ways to win games they should have lost, this season they are finding ways to lose games they should win.

Some of you are quoting 2005 as the season to best equate this one too. Chadman disagrees. It's more like 2006, when they were expected to win, but didn't. The problem isn't talent, it isn't injuries- it's attitude. The Steelers talk a good game, but they are simply not playing up to the talk. they have been in a position to win nearly every game they've lost, but bad play from the Steelers has cost them. So they obviously have the talent to be in the contest. And even with injuries, they've been able to compete in every game- so injuries are not the reason.

Attitude.

Just like 2006.

I guess the "glass half full" crowd is pointing at 2005 while the "glass half empty" legion sees 2006.

I think that my "on paper" view of the remainder of the season suggests that we should be in and that we run the table... a completely doable proposition considering who we have left.

But, look at how we've lost some of these games and how many 4th quarter leads we've squandered. Look at how we have played in at least half of our games. We've looked flat, listless and downright without care many times.

Unless the attitude of this team has a sea change for the remainder of the season, we are going to see the same old $hit. If that's the case, another loss will be inevitable and that will be the point where our playoff fortunes will be taken from our hands.

Starlifter
11-30-2009, 08:48 PM
i tend to agree with chadman. to give up a game on occasion in the 4th quarter is frustrating. to do it week in week out is indicative of something fundamental.

cowher used to call his team '60 minute men'. Tomlin is producing the light version - '50 minute men'.....

BURGH86STEEL
11-30-2009, 10:10 PM

Attitude.

Just like 2006.

I doubt many people thought they were playing like a playoff team at many points last season. They squeaked out more then their share of wins. They looked bad in several games last season. One difference from last season is the offense stepped up and delivered in the final minutes of games. The defense has not this year. That being said, the offense had their chances to win both games in OT. The special teams coverage was much better last season.

I don't know if attitude has ever won any games in the league. Attitude can't be measured. I believe it is costly mistakes that are hurting this team more then anything else. I prefer to stick to what can be seen.

Whether fans or team wants to admit it or not, the loss of Troy hurts the defense. Troy helps to cover up for a lot of mistakes. He makes plays that no one else makes. He changes the whole complexion of the defense. There is one play that stands out to me for some reason. It was the first Bengals game. If I remember correctly, Benson got a hand off from about the Steelers 30 yard line. Tyron Carter did not have the speed to make the play. As a result, Benson scored a TD. That is a play that Troy makes. Maybe making that play holds the Bengals to a FG? There are other examples of where Troy's loss hurts the defense. We can say some of the same things about Ben missing the end of the Chiefs and Ravens games.

At the end of the day, injuries are one of several factors in the overall equation.

Iron Shiek
11-30-2009, 10:36 PM
i tend to agree with chadman. to give up a game on occasion in the 4th quarter is frustrating. to do it week in week out is indicative of something fundamental.

cowher used to call his team '60 minute men'. Tomlin is producing the light version - '50 minute men'.....

I had a shirt that had that saying on it when I was in high school. I wish that mantra was preached now...ha...maybe they do wear 58:30 men...since they seem to not give a shiite about the last 1:30 lately.

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2009, 02:33 AM

Attitude.

Just like 2006.

Well, in 2006 we started the season poorly (2-6 record in the first half of the season), then finished significantly stronger down the stretch (6-2 in the 2nd half of the season).

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-01-2009, 10:30 AM
I agree that the team that took the field Sunday night isn't a playoff team Chadman. Hell...The team that took the field the last three games hasn't played like a playoff team. We may never know how good this team could have been either. However, there are important pieces to this team that are walking wounded right now. If and/or when they get back on the field...This "might" be a different team. The schedule doesn't wait for that though. They have a 5 game season ahead of them right now. That is the task at hand. They need a little help from the outside but they need to take care of there own schedule right now. Nobody knows what this team looks like with everyone healthy. In my opinion, this team could go deep into the playoffs with a healthy Ben, Troy, and Kemo. Some better play out of the defensive secondary could take them even further. Win your games, get healthy, and continue to improve...If the cards come in their favor and they can do that...the Steelers won't be an easy out for any team in the playoffs. It is a fine line....And the Steelers lost their balance and fell off. It is all on them now because everyone should be ready for the sprint to the finish!