PDA

View Full Version : How many plays were called for Dixon tonight

steelernation77
11-30-2009, 12:54 AM
One maybe, the TD.

The coaching staff refused to take advantage of his skill set and instead insisted on making him a pocket passer. The TD was a beautifully designed play but there should have been many more rollouts with a run/pass option for Dixon. Terrible. Arians needs to go and Tomlin needs to exercise more authority over his subordinates.

Flasteel
11-30-2009, 01:03 AM
One maybe, the TD.

The coaching staff refused to take advantage of his skill set and instead insisted on making him a pocket passer. The TD was a beautifully designed play but there should have been many more rollouts with a run/pass option for Dixon. Terrible. Arians needs to go and Tomlin needs to exercise more authority over his subordinates.

:Clap :Clap :Clap

It shouldn't overshadow the horrible performance of our secondary, but BA once again was right there screwing things up.

steelernation77
11-30-2009, 01:07 AM
One maybe, the TD.

It shouldn't overshadow the horrible performance of our secondary, but BA once again was right there screwing things up.

Seriously, I know what Tomlin's response is going to be when asked about it to. Something like
"We don't design plays for our third string QB and we run the same offense that we practice."

That's a cop-out. This was a huge game and it was well known that there was a serious possibility Dixon could play. They should have been installing plays for him all week. Having a back-up QB with wheels means that we should not have to rely on him to make the right reads and throw accurately. He should always have the option to take off. Arians needs to go.

feltdizz
11-30-2009, 01:17 AM
One maybe, the TD.

I defend BA so much you would think I like him... while I would love more plays for Dixon do you really think running options against the Ravens is a good idea with our #3 QB?

It wasn't a perfectly called game but with 3 minutes left we were up 3 and the Ravens were at their own 10 yard line.

It's time for fans to do the ugly turn to the defensive coordinator and treat him like we treat BA. How many INT's do our DB's have? Troy has 3 and he missed 6 games..how many tackles did we miss? why the hell are we holding our breath on 3rd and 22? Why did they get an easy 17 yards on that play?

Sorry but the numbers don't lie.. when we get the lead in the 4th quarter in 5 games in our D blows it in 4 of them it's not the OC. Do we really need to go up by 10 with the #1 D to win games?

steelernation77
11-30-2009, 01:20 AM
One maybe, the TD.

I defend BA so much you would think I like him... while I would love more plays for Dixon do you really think running options against the Ravens is a good idea with our #3 QB?

It wasn't a perfectly called game but with 3 minutes left we were up 3 and the Ravens were at their own 10 yard line.

It's time for fans to do the ugly turn to the defensive coordinator and treat him like we treat BA. How many INT's do our DB's have? Troy has 3 and he missed 6 games..how many tackles did we miss? why the hell are we holding our breath on 3rd and 22? Why did they get an easy 17 yards on that play?

Sorry but the numbers don't lie.. when we get the lead in the 4th quarter in 5 games in our D blows it in 4 of them it's not the OC. Do we really need to go up by 10 with the #1 D to win games?

No one was suggesting running an "option" in the Tommy Frazier-sense but rather roll-out plays where a QB has the ability to hit a receiver like a TE (How many catches did Heath have?) on a short gain or take off and run. Keeping Dixon in the pocket neutralizes one of his greatest strengths.

The D also played poorly in key situations but Arians cannot be ignored.

Flasteel
11-30-2009, 01:24 AM
One maybe, the TD.

While I agree that our defense down the stretch of games has been about as ferocious as a sleeping kitten, there is a huge difference between BA and LeBeau. LeBeau has been there for us many times and has crafted some of the best defenses in NFL history. While he may need to "get back into the lab" and start shedding his ridiculous philosophy of giving 10-yard cusions, he in no way will ever be subject to my questioning.

BA on the other hand has been inept since he took over our offense. Hell, his entire career has been marked with ineptitude. If it wasn't for the dumb luck of finding himself on the same teams as Peyton Manning and Ben, he'd be lucky to even be coaching in the league.

feltdizz
11-30-2009, 01:39 AM
One maybe, the TD.

No one was suggesting running an "option" in the Tommy Frazier-sense but rather roll-out plays where a QB has the ability to hit a receiver like a TE (How many catches did Heath have?) on a short gain or take off and run. Keeping Dixon in the pocket neutralizes one of his greatest strengths.

I meant more passes with the option to run.. and while Lebeau has had years of success it is what it is.. whether we get a 10 point lead or a 7 point lead our D is not closing out games..

I don't see how we blame BA when 4 of our 5 losses were due to the D not holding onto the lead. It's like blaming your wingman because he sets you up with the hot chicks and you can't close the deal like you used to.. the chicks are still hot and still open but your game hasn't adapted to the younger hot chicks.. he still sets you up and they are ready but you lost your mojo..

I could understand if we weren't getting the lead or just blowing it on offense but we are in every game and have had our hearts ripped out by the D.. it is what it is..

steelernation77
11-30-2009, 01:41 AM
One maybe, the TD.

I meant more passes with the option to run.. and while Lebeau has had years of success it is what it is.. whether we get a 10 point lead or a 7 point lead our D is not closing out games..

I don't see how we blame BA when 4 of our 5 losses were due to the D not holding onto the lead. It's like blaming your wingman because he sets you up with the hot chicks and you can't close the deal like you used to.. the chicks are still hot and still open but your game hasn't adapted to the younger hot chicks.. he still sets you up and they are ready but you lost your mojo..

I could understand if we weren't getting the lead or just blowing it on offense but we are in every game and have had our hearts ripped out by the D.. it is what it is..

The defense has not stepped up, but the offense did also have the ball twice in OT.

feltdizz
11-30-2009, 01:48 AM
True.. but we shouldn't have been in OT.. You got a 3rd string QB playing the game of his life who ran 30 yards to get the go ahead score..

WTF kind of defense lets the Ravens march 90 yards and put more pressure on the kid in OT. When you are trying to steal a win on the road and have the lead with 6 minutes left.. the last thing an OC and 3rd string QB needs is OT.

papillon
11-30-2009, 11:12 AM
True.. but we shouldn't have been in OT.. You got a 3rd string QB playing the game of his life who ran 30 yards to get the go ahead score..

WTF kind of defense lets the Ravens march 90 yards and put more pressure on the kid in OT. When you are trying to steal a win on the road and have the lead with 6 minutes left.. the last thing an OC and 3rd string QB needs is OT.

That's a fact right there and the Ravens pulled out a defensive scheme that they hadn't used in regulation or at least not that flavor of it with a corner blitz and a DE dropping into coverage to take away the quick slant.

I was hoping that Dixon was going to pump fake the corner that was blitzing balls to the wall. Any slight motion would have had him in the air and given Dixon a chance to get outside the pocket, he ran the play as designed and made a bad read. It happens, he learned a valuable lesson.

Pappy

JAR
11-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Offense had this game won, defense blew it. You can't blame Arians for that.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-30-2009, 12:29 PM
One maybe, the TD.

$$$$$$$$$

Arians must go. LeBeau may need to, as well.

NWNewell
11-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Can't put this one on BA.

What he did on a moments notice with a 3rd string QB who played one NFL series against the Ravens, while trying to protect him so that we don't have to go with a QB that has not played in the NFL and has been with the Steelers for one week and has no clue what the offense was doing, was tremendous.

Everyone in the world knew what we were going to do. Keep with save passes and screens and run the ball. Yet we were able to remain balanced and scrape together 17 points.

Excellent job changing gears and getting something coherent together. BA and the O gave the Steelers an opportunity to win under one of the most extreme circumstances.

BA gets too thumbs up for putting this O in a position to get some points on the board. 17 points is a reasonable effort for any offense against the Ravens. To do it with the experience Dixon has... :Clap

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
11-30-2009, 10:47 PM

What he did on a moments notice with a 3rd string QB who played one NFL series against the Ravens, while trying to protect him so that we don't have to go with a QB that has not played in the NFL and has been with the Steelers for one week and has no clue what the offense was doing, was tremendous.

Everyone in the world knew what we were going to do. Keep with save passes and screens and run the ball. Yet we were able to remain balanced and scrape together 17 points.

Excellent job changing gears and getting something coherent together. BA and the O gave the Steelers an opportunity to win under one of the most extreme circumstances.

BA gets too thumbs up for putting this O in a position to get some points on the board. 17 points is a reasonable effort for any offense against the Ravens. To do it with the experience Dixon has... :Clap

Yeah but dude remember the possesion before the half? They showed no faith in the kid, just pathetic. Dixon was a heisman FRONTRUNNER and I seem to recall something about next man stepping up. Don't get me wrong I love Tomlin and want him around for a long time but Arians and his whack playcalling have to go. Ben needs discipline not a best friend. Did Dixon even get SACKED last night? Wonder how good Ben could be with some REAL coaching instead of BA appeasing him.

Last night's offensive playcalling was a major factor in that loss, after Dixon threw the TD pass they show tremendous faith in him didn't they. :wft

:2c

NWNewell
11-30-2009, 11:46 PM

Yeah but dude remember the possesion before the half? They showed no faith in the kid, just pathetic. Dixon was a heisman FRONTRUNNER and I seem to recall something about next man stepping up. Don't get me wrong I love Tomlin and want him around for a long time but Arians and his whack playcalling have to go. Ben needs discipline not a best friend. Did Dixon even get SACKED last night? Wonder how good Ben could be with some REAL coaching instead of BA appeasing him.

Last night's offensive playcalling was a major factor in that loss, after Dixon threw the TD pass they show tremendous faith in him didn't they. :wft

:2c

Not sure where to start to respond to that.

Heisman frontrunner means exactly squat.

The TD pass was set up by about 10 plays before that and caught the Ravens. Howmany times do you think you are going to get away with that. It wasn't Dixon. It was the play calling. Dixon just had to deliver the ball. No reading defenses on that one.

The posession before the half the Ravens figured out how to counter Dixon. And the continued that through the rest of the game. The secret was out. They were trying to get to the locker room where they could try to regroup for the rest of the game. It was the wise move.

Dixon didn't get sacked last night because he wasn't reading defenses and going throw many progressions. He was coming up firing and his #1 and if he was covered, he sometimes threw it away and sometimes recognized the check downs, and sometimes threw it into double coverage. That's not what you want your starting QB to do.... but it's all you ask of your 3rd String QB.

Don't kid yourself, BA was not holding Dixon back from being more successful.

JTP53609
12-01-2009, 11:09 AM
i just hate how we played around the ravens strength rather than have us show the ravens their strengths....i did not get it, still really upset over this loss...