PDA

View Full Version : OT Play-Calling...Pathetic!

Flasteel
11-30-2009, 12:48 AM
First series - The bomb on second down and deep pass on 3rd.

Second series - Run up the gut twice and a horrible pick by Dixon.

Where was the misdirection? The roll-out that we saw earlier? Collinsworth called it right.

There are enough goats...especially in our secondary but once again good ol' Brucy strikes again.

cruzer8
11-30-2009, 12:50 AM
What a heartbreaking way to lose. We had them right where we wanted them and we blew it.

phillyesq
11-30-2009, 12:51 AM
I have to lay this one on Arians. I understand that you don't want to get Dixon hurt early in the game, but in OT, use a game plan that takes advantage of his strengths. A bootleg, a designed rollout, something like that. Even throw a quick screen to a WR and let him make a play. The third down pass that got picked was atrocious.

birtikidis
11-30-2009, 12:52 AM
i have no problem with the offense. i have a ton of problems with our defense.
i didn't expect dixon to be as good as ben. i thought he did well though.
our defense on the other hand. thinks they're the best in the league, but tackle like girls.

feltdizz
11-30-2009, 12:55 AM
we shouldn't have been in OT.. stop with the BA blame.. he had a 3rd string QB

how much do you expect from BA and Dixon when they take the lead and the Ravens are at their own 10?

Flasteel
11-30-2009, 12:55 AM
i have no problem with the offense. i have a ton of problems with our defense.
i didn't expect dixon to be as good as ben. i thought he did well though.
our defense on the other hand. thinks they're the best in the league, but tackle like girls.

I agree whole-heartedly with that assessment on D, but primarily with the secondary. Granted, they plowed our asses through 20 yards of turf before the game-winning FG, but we were consistently sickening in the secondary all night.

Starlifter
11-30-2009, 12:56 AM
lots of reasons we lost tonight. the interception sucked but we still had many chances before that to win. when I think of two drives that defined the game, the second TD that we let them score quick and the last drive to tie the game.

pretty tragic way we've arrived at 6-5.

feltdizz
11-30-2009, 12:57 AM
The LeBeau cushion has been figured out.. throw to the WR and let him get 5 to 6..

so easy Flacco and Cutler and Palmer and Cassell can do it..

feltdizz
11-30-2009, 12:58 AM
and what is the deal with teams marching on our D in 4 plays after we score? It's like we are allergic to keeping a lead.

Flasteel
11-30-2009, 12:59 AM

how much do you expect from BA and Dixon when they take the lead and the Ravens are at their own 10?

Are you kidding me diz? We all know that BA was handicapped by the QB tonight...no newsflash there. Take advantage of the guy's skill set, run something semi-creative, incorporate some screens in OT...SOMETHING!!!

It's mind-numbing how some of you guys want to give Arians a pass just because better player execution could have won the game (which it could have). BA is the most unimaginative, bone-headed paly-caller I may have ever seen. His fingerprints are all over every one of our losses.

winwithd
11-30-2009, 01:02 AM
Why do you not give Dixon a chance to run in the OT? When you have someone that can run like he can you at least have to make it an option for the defense to consider. I agree. I say Arians is the goat. Dixon ran once and it was a TD. This isn't rocket science.

Of course the secondary and its lousy tackling on the Rice catch and run didn't help.

Now we probably have to win out, but if they play like this as a team and get Ben and Troy I think they can do it.

If the TV guys were right, then Pittsburgh almost beat Baltimore with only 15 offensive plays. But the defense had the game in their hands again and couldn't close it out.

sd steel
I will eat some crow here. The play calling was atrocious, and even if it was planned beforehand that they would go real vanilla in the 1st half, we needed to go more vertical. And in the second half we needed to use more misdirection and use more of Dixon stregths by maybe moving the pocket etc. It looked like we were playing not to lose, and when you play not to lose, you lose.

Crappy game, alot of poor tackling, and Mendenhall should never come out of the game.

papillon
Blaming Bruce Arians for this loss is like blaming the knife and fork for being fat. He gave enough of the offense to Dixon and got the team the lead with 6 minutes left in the game. The #1 freaking defense in the NFL couldn't close the door on a 3rd and 22 and you're going to blame Arians? Yea, right.

Pappy

SteelBucks
11-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Blaming Bruce Arians for this loss is like blaming the knife and fork for being fat. He gave enough of the offense to Dixon and got the team the lead with 6 minutes left in the game. The #1 freaking defense in the NFL couldn't close the door on a 3rd and 22 and you're going to blame Arians? Yea, right.

Pappy

I agree Pap. If the D makes that stop, no one is blaming Arians right now.

Dang I miss Troy.

Flasteel
11-30-2009, 01:11 AM

Pappy

Sorry Pap. Much respect for you and to those who continually defend this guy, but if you can't see the negative impact that he is having then I suggest you start subscribing to TV services for the blind.

The defense was primarily to blame for the loss. I won't dispute it and the puke in my toilet stands as testimony. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT ARIANS IS CLEAN. He does this to us every stinking game and there's always somebody there, pointing to the other mistakes that could have changed the game.

I'm not blind to those mistakes.

I'm not pinning the loss (or any other loss) solely on BA.

All I'm pointing out is here we go again. The most consistent presence in all of our losses is Bruce Arians, plain and simple.

He must go.

BURGH86STEEL
11-30-2009, 01:16 AM

Pappy

Sorry Pap. Much respect for you and to those who continually defend this guy, but if you can't see the negative impact that he is having then I suggest you start subscribing to TV services for the blind.

The defense was primarily to blame for the loss. I won't dispute it and the puke in my toilet stands as testimony. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT ARIANS IS CLEAN. He does this to us every stinking game and there's always somebody there, pointing to the other mistakes that could have changed the game.

All I'm pointing out is here we go again. The most consistent presence in all of our losses is Bruce Arians, plain and simple.

He must go.

The most consistent presence in 4 out of 5 losses was the defenses inability to stop teams from driving down the field to score.

papillon

Pappy

He must go.

The most consistent presence in all of our losses in the defense giving away leads late in the game, not poor play calling.

We all have a different view of the same thing based on our personal favorite coaches and players. Bruce Arians doesn't even rate on my list of Steeler personnel I'd like to meet, while Dick Lebeau rates near the top; but, the defense has let this team down all year.

Pappy

BATMAN
He should have ran at least one sweep with Dixon in OT.

papillon
11-30-2009, 01:18 AM
He should have ran at least one sweep with Dixon in OT.

Maybe, but the longer the game went on the shakier Dixon was looking and it finally culminated in the only mistake the kid made. Arians called the game fine and the offense did what it was supposed to do; the defense failed, again.

Pappy

pick6
11-30-2009, 01:20 AM
this is really disgusting. i along with all of steeler nation notice that the ravens have been devested every time dixon runs (even on the one called back for holding) but bruce and dare i say tomlin do not call any plays for dixon to run or at least have that option. even collinsworth noticed this another thing i despise is the trend to have qbs that have the ability to run are told that staying in the pocket is the only way to succeed. yes if a passing play is called do your job, but if nothing is their or if you know that the opponent cant handle the qb run, then take it. win by any legal means. simply put if dixon runs a few more times in the fourth this thing would not have made it to OT.

and our special teams is horrible. like i said in preseason we should have kept madison and let burnett see the p squad. i like logan but we dont block for him. this loss is on the coaching. how could they not see that the ravens could not handle dixon running.

birtikidis
11-30-2009, 01:26 AM
i can understand not running dixon. did you want to see palko?
what i can't understand is not letting mendenhall carry the team.
he was pounding the rock.
and it set up our play action beautifully.
so why did we stop doing it?

Flasteel
11-30-2009, 01:28 AM

Pappy

He must go.

The most consistent presence in 4 out of 5 losses was the defenses inability to stop teams from driving down the field to score.

Okay you and Pap got the drop on me there. :x

I hope my point isn't lost because of that fact. The guy still sucks.

Flasteel
11-30-2009, 01:29 AM

Well said.

I will say however, that we should have rolled the guy out more. Both TD's came off of roll-outs and Dixon has the skill set to exploit a defense.

BURGH86STEEL
11-30-2009, 01:29 AM
I will eat some crow here. The play calling was atrocious, and even if it was planned beforehand that they would go real vanilla in the 1st half, we needed to go more vertical. And in the second half we needed to use more misdirection and use more of Dixon stregths by maybe moving the pocket etc. It looked like we were playing not to lose, and when you play not to lose, you lose.

Crappy game, alot of poor tackling, and Mendenhall should never come out of the game.

I don't think Dixon was comfortable or had enough practice time to go vertical more often. He had a few bad passes in the game. He made a couple of bad reads.

I am not sure it was necessary for them to move the pocket. Dixon had pretty good pass protection. I am not sure he would be comfortable on the move. The reality is they had limited amount of time to get Dixon ready for this game. The Steelers protected him as well as they could.

We can sit here and say they should had run him more or whatever. The Ravens had a spy on him after they gave up that TD run. I don't believe they ran that same blitz again. They played more zone so they could keep an eye on Dixon.

I don't know how teams play not to lose. They did their best to protect a QB making his first start in the league. They gave themselves a chance to win the game. They did enough to have a chance to win the game.

papillon
11-30-2009, 01:30 AM

Well, he had 25 carries (or there about), that's a pretty good diet of running the ball. I would have liked to see a few more runs for Mendenhall, but it's hard to argue with the lead in the 4th quarter and 6 minutes left.

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
11-30-2009, 01:30 AM

They continued to run play action at times. The problem was Dixon mis fired a few times.

pick6
11-30-2009, 01:31 AM
this game is not on the def.. the ravens get paid too. we gave up 3 points in the entire second half. it is this week mentality that says that we have the lead lets ease of the gas, that will continue to give us losses. this is not on the def. no way. the speed that used to be the ravens D is not there any more plus suggs was out. run Dixon they could not stop it. it was there and it would have loosened the kid up in the 2nd half plus opened up the passing game a little more.

BURGH86STEEL
11-30-2009, 01:37 AM
this game is not on the def.. the ravens get paid too. we gave up 3 points in the entire second half. it is this week mentality that says that we have the lead lets ease of the gas, that will continue to give us losses. this is not on the def. no way. the speed that used to be the ravens D is not there any more plus suggs was out. run Dixon they could not stop it. it was there and it would have loosened the kid up in the 2nd half plus opened up the passing game a little more.

The game is not all on the defense. A lot of the blame goes those guys way. They gave up several big plays. How about the 14 points in the first half?

All NFL teams have speed, even the Ravens. I don't believe the Ravens would had let Dixon run wild on them. They spied him after that TD run. On that Dixon TD run, they caught the Ravens at the right time.

They tried some passes down the field in the 2nd half. Dixon was not sharp.

sd steel
11-30-2009, 01:52 AM

I don't think Dixon was comfortable or had enough practice time to go vertical more often. He had a few bad passes in the game. He made a couple of bad reads.

I am not sure it was necessary for them to move the pocket. Dixon had pretty good pass protection. I am not sure he would be comfortable on the move. The reality is they had limited amount of time to get Dixon ready for this game. The Steelers protected him as well as they could.

We can sit here and say they should had run him more or whatever. The Ravens had a spy on him after they gave up that TD run. I don't believe they ran that same blitz again. They played more zone so they could keep an eye on Dixon.

I don't know how teams play not to lose. They did their best to protect a QB making his first start in the league. They gave themselves a chance to win the game. They did enough to have a chance to win the game.

The problem was I don't feel they gave Dixon a chance to be more successful. First half we should have been looking more in the middle of the field to Heath or a back off play action, but it easy to second guess after the game is over.

As far as playing not to lose, it would be when we have a minute left in the first half, and we run the half out. Do you think that could take some confidence away from Dixon? It's basically saying we are lucky to be 7 points down. When I say vertical I don't mean hit Wallace on a streak, inn mean intermediate routes behind the backers who were playing run all night. As far as rolling the pocket, it would give Dixon a better chance to run if necessary, and open up passing lanes for him because of his low release.

Like I said and I always say, it is real easy to second guess after a play is run, but I think we could have been a little less vanilla in the second half especially.

What I would have liked to have seen would have been having Dixon coming out and throwing it around more like Ben, taking chances. What is the worst thing that could have happened? Another loss? Well that happened anyways.

On a side note, Mendenhall should be our every down back, every game.

BURGH86STEEL
11-30-2009, 08:17 AM
[quote="sd steel":2ic27eqc]I will eat some crow here. The play calling was atrocious, and even if it was planned beforehand that they would go real vanilla in the 1st half, we needed to go more vertical. And in the second half we needed to use more misdirection and use more of Dixon stregths by maybe moving the pocket etc. It looked like we were playing not to lose, and when you play not to lose, you lose.

The problem was I don't feel they gave Dixon a chance to be more successful. First half we should have been looking more in the middle of the field to Heath or a back off play action, but it easy to second guess after the game is over.

As far as playing not to lose, it would be when we have a minute left in the first half, and we run the half out. Do you think that could take some confidence away from Dixon? It's basically saying we are lucky to be 7 points down. When I say vertical I don't mean hit Wallace on a streak, inn mean intermediate routes behind the backers who were playing run all night. As far as rolling the pocket, it would give Dixon a better chance to run if necessary, and open up passing lanes for him because of his low release.

Like I said and I always say, it is real easy to second guess after a play is run, but I think we could have been a little less vanilla in the second half especially.

What I would have liked to have seen would have been having Dixon coming out and throwing it around more like Ben, taking chances. What is the worst thing that could have happened? Another loss? Well that happened anyways.

On a side note, Mendenhall should be our every down back, every game.[/quote:2ic27eqc]

I think the coaches made the best decision in regards to running out the half. There was a 2nd half to play and anything could happen. Maybe they felt they were lucky to be down 7 points?

That's a tough situation for any QB to be in let a lone a 2nd year player making his first start. Maybe Dixon would had pressed the issue and thrown an INT? It is not out of the question. He could have thrown an 2 or 3 incomplete passes. That stops the clock for the Ravens. Maybe plays well and helps the Steelers move down the field? I think the risk was not greater then the reward in that instance. In any event, the game was not won or loss at that point in the game.

Maybe Dixon was not comfortable rolling the pocket? The announcers mentioned they used plays Dixon was comfortable with. Maybe if they had more time to implement a game plan specifically for Dixon it would had been different?

I am not sure how vanilla there were in the 2nd half. They managed to score 10 points. Dixon missed some open WR's more then once in the second half. He also did not see some open WR's. This is all due to inexperience. The Ravens finally fooled him at the end. I believe that one of the Steelers goals was to limit the chances of Dixon being fooled. All and all they did a good job mixing up the play calling. Especially, once they established a fairly solid run game.

I can hear the fans crucifying the coaches now if they let Dixon throw it around like Ben.
There is a good chance he would had thrown it to the Ravens more then one time. Sure, it was another loss. It was a loss that the Steelers had a real chance to win. They gave themselves a good opportunity to win. Under those circumstances, that was all anyone can ask.

It would be nice if Mendehall could be the every down back. I think it would be difficult to keep him fresh and effective if he was on the field every down.

NorthCoast
11-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Plenty of blame to go around for this loss, BUT I still question the last offensive play call. Being a No. 1 BA-hater, I was about to award him with a B+ for his game plan. BUT, that last call was dumb-founding. I don't question a pass as much as the kind of pass it was. Maybe it wasn't on BA...maybe Dixon picked the wrong receiver to throw to but a quick slant where there are bodies everywhere is not a good choice. Take the lower risk of a deep ball to Wallace or Holmes. If it is intercepted, at least they have a longer field coming back. I agree with others, Dixon had an awful second half passing. Should have let him use his legs instead. And I don't want to hear anything about possible injury and we are down to Palko. That's too much of a big IF and this was too big of a game.

papillon
11-30-2009, 09:32 AM
[quote="sd steel":2gukpi6f]I will eat some crow here. The play calling was atrocious, and even if it was planned beforehand that they would go real vanilla in the 1st half, we needed to go more vertical. And in the second half we needed to use more misdirection and use more of Dixon stregths by maybe moving the pocket etc. It looked like we were playing not to lose, and when you play not to lose, you lose.

On a side note, Mendenhall should be our every down back, every game.

I think the coaches made the best decision in regards to running out the half. There was a 2nd half to play and anything could happen. Maybe they felt they were lucky to be down 7 points?

Yup, only bad things could have happened trying to get Dixon to run the two minute drill against the Ravens defense and after having only a week to prepare. The coaches probably didn't feel lucky, but they did think that they were in the game and they realized that Dixon was not sustaining any long drives to score points. They needed the defense to do what they did for the most part, except for a few bad plays.

That's a tough situation for any QB to be in let a lone a 2nd year player making his first start. Maybe Dixon would had pressed the issue and thrown an INT? It is not out of the question. He could have thrown an 2 or 3 incomplete passes. That stops the clock for the Ravens. Maybe plays well and helps the Steelers move down the field? I think the risk was not greater then the reward in that instance. In any event, the game was not won or loss at that point in the game.

Maybe Dixon was not comfortable rolling the pocket? The announcers mentioned they used plays Dixon was comfortable with. Maybe if they had more time to implement a game plan specifically for Dixon it would had been different?

The game plan put the Steelers in a position to win the game and you can't really ask for anything more than that playing with a quarterback that hadn't played in a live NFL game prior to that game.

I am not sure how vanilla there were in the 2nd half. They managed to score 10 points. Dixon missed some open WR's more then once in the second half. He also did not see some open WR's. This is all due to inexperience. The Ravens finally fooled him at the end. I believe that one of the Steelers goals was to limit the chances of Dixon being fooled. All and all they did a good job mixing up the play calling. Especially, once they established a fairly solid run game.

My only complaint was that Mendenhall was ever taken off of the field. He's a better blocker than Moore and Parker (Moore's take down cost the Steelers a big play), he's a better receiver and getting YAC than Moore and Parker and he's 3 times the back either of them are when rushing the football. He shouldn't come out of the game, unless, he's hurt.

I can hear the fans crucifying the coaches now if they let Dixon throw it around like Ben. There is a good chance he would had thrown it to the Ravens more then one time. Sure, it was another loss. It was a loss that the Steelers had a real chance to win. They gave themselves a good opportunity to win. Under those circumstances, that was all anyone can ask.

Quoted for truth.

It would be nice if Mendehall could be the every down back. I think it would be difficult to keep him fresh and effective if he was on the field every down.

The life span of an NFL running back is about 5 years, get your 5 years out of him and if he's still able to play sign him for a few more and begin to find the replacement. Leaving your best players on the bench is a bad idea if you're a coach in the NFL. It will stand for "Not For Long" if you don't play your best players.

[/quote:2gukpi6f]

Pappy

SteelAbility
11-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Did anyone see the offensive productivity numbers we had on play-action? It was off the charts. Now, obviously you can't do that all the time, but there simply was not enough of it. If I recall correctly, Dixon got a TD pass off play-action. Why not more?

:wft

JDSteeler
11-30-2009, 10:51 AM

Are you kidding me diz? We all know that BA was handicapped by the QB tonight...no newsflash there. Take advantage of the guy's skill set, run something semi-creative, incorporate some screens in OT...SOMETHING!!!

It's mind-numbing how some of you guys want to give Arians a pass just because better player execution could have won the game (which it could have). BA is the most unimaginative, bone-headed paly-caller I may have ever seen. His fingerprints are all over every one of our losses.

That just about sums it all up!!

The MOLE was at it again. His patented RUN UP THE MIDDLE justs kills me!!! BA wastes a minimum of 10 plays by calling it, maybe 20. You've got to be joking Bruce....You haven't come up with a second type of run-play in that thick playbook of yours!!! You know Dixon can run like the wind, so why not have him run the "wildcat" or anything else other than that gosh-forsaken RUTM, in OT!! Get the Ravens off balance a little, throw them something they havent seen, be a little creative for ONCE in your pathetic play-calling life!!!! But, no!!!! In the 2nd posession of OT, RUTM twice, and put DD in a bad spot, having to pass the ball. You know that is not his strength, but what the heck, it only the season on the line!!! And as you expected, he finally made the mistake, YOU were looking for!!!

BA is not without company. Lebeau's Defense blows at the END of games. They had the
lead, again, and let the other team tie it again. I think that is 4 games that we have lost
with a lead in the 4th qtr. That is pathetic!!! Willie Gay is pathetic!!! Farrior AGAIN gives up a the HUGE 4th and 5 that went for another 30 yards due to some great tackling.

And above all, Mike Tomlin!!! Allowing his OC to basically run, what I consider to
be, one of the most dangerous offenses in the league, into an enbarassment to
the StillerNation!!!!

I have no more answers for this team and the coaching staff!

As frustrated as I can ever remember about a Steelers team, and that is saying
something!!!

The only two bright spots I could find last night were...Mendy is a stud, and Dixon will be
a great number 2 in time!!

We'll be LUCKY to beat the RAIDAHS next week!!! In fact, we'll be lucky to win any of the remaining 5 games with coaching as bad as this years Staff of Baffoons!!!

JD

NWNewell
11-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Normally I'm a big critic of BA, but I'll give it to him on this one.

Facing a tough Ravens defense (not what they use to be, but still very tough), and having your Franchise QB pulled Friday night and replaced with a 3rd string QB that has played one NFL series, the coaching staff really did a good job of game planning to give Dixon and our offense a chance to be successful.

We ran the ball well in the first half (a credit to Mendenhall) and BA gave Dixon some safe plays to allow him to be successful. Set up some great play action to help simplify the some of the down field passes/reads. I don't mind some of the deep throws because I don't think Baltimore is expecting much down field action from Dixon. I think BA did a very good job of changing gears and putting the offense in position to get some points on the board with a 3rd string QB in a moments notice. And even with the everyone in the free world knowing that we would be conservative, run the ball, and mostly make short underneath passes and screens, we were still reasonably successful doing so.

I'm not sure what you are looking for when the Baltimore defense can make seasoned veteran QB lead balanced offenses look horrible.

I criticize BA a lot, but he gets a thumbs up from me on this one. :Clap

My only disappoint is with the defense. While, giving up 17 points is exactly getting torched and they did come up with some big plays (strips/sacks). The O stepped up huge and put enough points on the board to give them an opportunity to win. But the defense didn't return the favor at the end of the game and couldn't hold the lead with 6 minutes left in the game. Some fault might fall to LeBeau, but the players missed some significant tackles too.

eniparadoxgma
12-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Did anyone see the offensive productivity numbers we had on play-action? It was off the charts. Now, obviously you can't do that all the time, but there simply was not enough of it. If I recall correctly, Dixon got a TD pass off play-action. Why not more?

:wft

I agree. I've been yelling "PLAY ACTION PASS TO HEATH GODDAMNIT!!!" at least 5 times a game for the last year or two.

feltdizz
12-01-2009, 08:58 PM
I think we didn't draw up a lot to Heath because he was blocking the blitz a lot and Dixon's throwing motion does not beg for the short pass over the middle.. he has a very awkward release...

I don't get it though.. we had a 3rd string QB and you guys want 1st string playcalling..
you act like we were blown out by 4 TD's and had no offensive production. We had the lead on a beautiful 25 yard run by Dixon..

you tunnel vision BA haters really need to get your head out of the sand... if you put 5% of your hate somewhere else you would probably realize we are putting up numbers and points on offense but our DEFENSE isn't showing up when we need them to. Also I don't buy Ben saying that "BA called the last series" in the Cincy game either... the guy wouldn't listen to half the world when they begged him to give up the bike, he wouldn't switch to the concussion helmet, and we all talked about how frustrated Whiz and Cowher would get..
Now all of a sudden Ben is the OC's robot? GTFOH!!!

we had 500 yards and 24 points on offense against KC and people were still mad at BA.. what do we expect? 600 yards? 700? 30 points? 40 points? All this with the #1 D? What do you guys really want BA to do? If we put up points like the Saints I bet all of you would still blame BA when the D gave up the winning TD on the last series..

Flasteel
12-02-2009, 12:10 AM
I think we didn't draw up a lot to Heath because he was blocking the blitz a lot and Dixon's throwing motion does not beg for the short pass over the middle.. he has a very awkward release...

I don't get it though.. we had a 3rd string QB and you guys want 1st string playcalling..
you act like we were blown out by 4 TD's and had no offensive production. We had the lead on a beautiful 25 yard run by Dixon..

you tunnel vision BA haters really need to get your head out of the sand... if you put 5% of your hate somewhere else you would probably realize we are putting up numbers and points on offense but our DEFENSE isn't showing up when we need them to. Also I don't buy Ben saying that "BA called the last series" in the Cincy game either... the guy wouldn't listen to half the world when they begged him to give up the bike, he wouldn't switch to the concussion helmet, and we all talked about how frustrated Whiz and Cowher would get..
Now all of a sudden Ben is the OC's robot? GTFOH!!!

we had 500 yards and 24 points on offense against KC and people were still mad at BA.. what do we expect? 600 yards? 700? 30 points? 40 points? All this with the #1 D? What do you guys really want BA to do? If we put up points like the Saints I bet all of you would still blame BA when the D gave up the winning TD on the last series..

You still don't get it brother. It's not about blame as much as it is about consistent poor play-calling, especially in the clutch. There's plenty of blame to spread around including individual player performances and the continual collapse of our defense in the 4th quarter. I personally have very little issue with the plays that were called on Sunday night until late in the game and particularly in OT. Like the thread title states...pathetic! Actually, it's inexplicable. Why don't you try and justify all of these low-percentage plays when they just aren't there...please try.

While the defensive problems have begun to become a nasty trend this year (actually going back to the Super Bowl), the issues with BA have been around since he took over and there are no signs that things are going to change. We can roll up gaudy offensive stats all day (which we normally don't...outside of the no-huddle), but when you constantly crap the bed in the red zone and late in games, it doesn't matter.

I don't indiscriminantly blame BA for losses because of some blind hatred. I happen to have somewhat of a football education and in my opinion the guy does an extremely poor job of managing games. I'm sorry you and others don't see it or allow other problems to obscure the issue. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens after the season, but I think things have begun to reach critical mass. I just hope it doesn't take a complete collapse of the team to force the issue.