PDA

View Full Version : It's the defense and William Gay

Starlifter
11-29-2009, 10:57 PM
that will be the culprit if we lose this game. dixon has done everything asked of him. I don't even mind the holding penalties, they all looked pretty legit. to allow baltimore to drive 90 yards in less than 2 minutes. how many teams have done that to us this year?

we may be the #1 ranked defense, but if we can't be #1 when it counts (long drives, 4th quarter stops etc) - then we're just stat champions.

frankthetank1
11-29-2009, 11:01 PM
the defense isnt getting any pressure on flacco and they arent getting any turnovers. even without troy they should be playing better than they are. the secondary isnt playing half as well as they did last season and a lot of it is due to the lack of pressure they have been getting on qb's. woodley and gay need to step up their game big time

Starlifter
11-29-2009, 11:07 PM
lack of pressure is indeed part of the equation......

Shoe
11-29-2009, 11:43 PM
woodley and gay need to step up their game big time

Doesn't Wood have two sacks this game?
As for Homo, he needs to f-n pull the tampon out and start playing football... my god.

frankthetank1
11-29-2009, 11:53 PM
woodley and gay need to step up their game big time

Doesn't Wood have two sacks this game?
As for Homo, he needs to f-n pull the tampon out and start playing football... my god.

yeah in the second half. i said he needed to step his game up after doing nothing in the first half. timmons is playing lights out!!

Shoe
11-30-2009, 12:12 AM
I don't care if it's "Ray Rice"...

TACKLE

Jesus H Crimany

eniparadoxgma
11-30-2009, 12:15 AM
that will be the culprit if we lose this game. dixon has done everything asked of him. I don't even mind the holding penalties, they all looked pretty legit. to allow baltimore to drive 90 yards in less than 2 minutes. how many teams have done that to us this year?

we may be the #1 ranked defense, but if we can't be #1 when it counts (long drives, 4th quarter stops etc) - then we're just stat champions.

Completely agree. I couldn't believe it when that stat (we're the no.1 rated defense) came up. Who cares about that stat if we get raped in the 4th quarter and when it matters?

eniparadoxgma
11-30-2009, 12:15 AM

Completely agree. I couldn't believe it when that stat (we're the no.1 rated defense) came up. Who cares about that stat if we get raped in the 4th quarter and when it matters?

phillyesq
11-30-2009, 12:54 AM
Gay played yet another terrible game. It seems that week after week, teams go right after him. Off the top of my head, the Vikings, Broncos and now ravens all opened the game attacking Gay. And when Mark Clayton can light up your corner, you know that something needs to be done.

grotonsteel
11-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Steelers D is highly overrated. This is the 4th game Steelers have lost because Steelers D crapped in their pants in 4th Q.

Why is Dick Lebeau getting a free pass???

SteelStallion
11-30-2009, 01:15 AM
I agree with this thread. When Troy got hurt in the first game, the Steeler D was exposed for what it is: Gay can't play CB in this league without a HOFer to compensate for him; same for Clark, Carter and Farrior who are too old and slow. I suspect they'll lose more games in the 4th qtr. Maybe long term it's for the best in terms of the draft. But realistically it doesn't look like any big year for them this time. I know they'll battle all the way and we'll root like hel l.

My only question is where's Keenan Lewis? He was raived about during camp and I thought I saw him play in a game then go out with an injury. Is he healthy? Would it hurt to give him more of a shot at this point?

papillon
11-30-2009, 01:17 AM
Steelers D is highly overrated. This is the 4th game Steelers have lost because Steelers D crapped in their pants in 4th Q.

Why is bad word Lebeau getting a free pass???

Because, his name isn't Bruce Arians.

Pappy

NorthCoast
11-30-2009, 09:19 AM
This is not a new problem but has been brewing for a while. Ben's skills have covered them up by winning some big games when we had the ball last, last season. It's not happening this season. The D's problems late in games began last year. Take a look (outcome in parentheses):

Game 1 vs Houston: outscored in 4th qtr 14-3 (W)
Game 2 vs Cleveland: outscored in 4th qtr 9-0 (W)
Game 3 vs Philly: outscored in 4th qtr 5-0 (L)
Game 4 vs Baltimore: outscored in 4th qtr 7-6 (W)
Game 5 vs Jacksonville: outscored in 4th qtr 7-6 (W)
Game 8 vs NY Giants: outscored in 4th qtr 12-0 (L)
Game 10 vs Indy: outscored in 4th qtr 7-3 (L)
Game 16 vs Tenn.: outscored in 4th qtr 14-0 (L)

So we were 4-4 when outscored in the 4th qtr last year. Maybe this season it is more noticeable because of the WAY in which the games have been closed...dunno.

SteelAbility
11-30-2009, 09:38 AM

Why is bad word Lebeau getting a free pass???

I agree. We are pretty good on total points given up. However, when it has really counted the D has let down ...

CHI
CIN
KC (good grief)
BAL (3rd and FRIKKIN 22!!!!?????) :wft

The lack of turnovers is collectively hurting field position for the O as we are consistently ceding ground on starting field position. We are also very susceptible to the big play.

And, yes, William Gay is a huge liability. Teams are going right at him. It takes a scheme or a HOFer to mask his weaknesses. There is also a simple lack of pound-for-pound strength causing him to yield YAC when he tackles.

brothervad
11-30-2009, 03:20 PM
you know I think that when he was drafted...the overall analysis was that this guy would make a very solid nickel back but wasn't fast enough nor skilled enough to be a starting CB.

I could be mis-remembering but I believe that was the overall assessment.

brothervad

NorthCoast
11-30-2009, 09:16 PM
This is not a new problem but has been brewing for a while. Ben's skills have covered them up by winning some big games when we had the ball last, last season. It's not happening this season. The D's problems late in games began last year. Take a look (outcome in parentheses):

Game 1 vs Houston: outscored in 4th qtr 14-3 (W)
Game 2 vs Cleveland: outscored in 4th qtr 9-0 (W)
Game 3 vs Philly: outscored in 4th qtr 5-0 (L)
Game 4 vs Baltimore: outscored in 4th qtr 7-6 (W)
Game 5 vs Jacksonville: outscored in 4th qtr 7-6 (W)
Game 8 vs NY Giants: outscored in 4th qtr 12-0 (L)
Game 10 vs Indy: outscored in 4th qtr 7-3 (L)
Game 16 vs Tenn.: outscored in 4th qtr 14-0 (L)

So we were 4-4 when outscored in the 4th qtr last year. Maybe this season it is more noticeable because of the WAY in which the games have been closed...dunno.

I should complete the picture. This season:

Game 2 vs Chicago: outscored in 4th qtr 10-0 (L)
Game 3 vs Cinci: outscored in 4th qtr 14-0 (L)
Game 4 vs SanDiego: outscored in 4th qtr 21-10 (W)
Game 5 vs Detroit: outscored in 4th qtr 7-0 (W)
Game 10 vs Cinci: outscored in 4th qtr 6-3 (L)
Game 11 vs KC: tie in 4th qtr 3-3 (overtime 3-0) (L)

So the trend worsened this season and I think it is directly due to defenses taking Ben's big plays away late in games.