PDA

View Full Version : Hines questions Bens toughness

feltdizz
11-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Uh oh... Did Hines just question Ben's toughness or did NBC over react? We got problems in the locker room and I think the WR's are kinda upset with Ben. First Holmes now this? Is it the
money? The fame? The off field drama? The sacks? The audibles? Are Arians amd Benaking
up plays on the fly? Will we repeat? Tune in tonight... lol

I'm instigating because i missed the line but heard the analyst question Hines dig at Ben

Ozey74
11-29-2009, 09:17 PM
NBC is over reacting. Even though Rodney Harrison is retired, he is still an annoying SOB on NFL Sundays

BATMAN
11-29-2009, 09:18 PM
I heard the bottom half of Hines and he pretty much said this game is too important to sit out because of injuries. He went on to say, there were times he shouldn't have played and told the doctors he was fine just to play.
The annoucer asked him or stated, " you don't mean a head injury too that Ben has, this is a serious injury and not like a knee, hip or something " Hines didn't seem to back down or let Ben off the hook.

Shoe
11-29-2009, 09:21 PM
NBC is over reacting. Even though Rodney Harrison is retired, he is still an annoying SOB on NFL Sundays

I agree with that Ozey (and your title felt, is inflammatory too).
It was curious, where he was going with it. My read on it is that he wondered (aloud) why Ben was able/allowed to practice this week, seemed fine, and all a sudden deemed unable. I can't imagine that Hines would be so ignorant as to question his QB's toughness on national TV, when they are still in the thick of it and Ben has proven himself as a "football player." He (Hines) can't be that unsophisticated.

steelz09
11-29-2009, 09:24 PM
I think it was an indirect shot at Ben to be honest.

The whole situation seems a bit funny to me.... I don't question Big Ben's toughness but he is no doubt a drama queen when it comes to injuries.

feltdizz
11-29-2009, 09:25 PM

I agree with that Ozey (and your title felt, is inflammatory too).
It was curious, where he was going with it. My read on it is that he wondered (aloud) why Ben was able/allowed to practice this week, seemed fine, and all a sudden deemed unable. I can't imagine that Hines would be so ignorant as to question his QB's toughness on national TV, when they are still in the thick of it and Ben has proven himself as a "football player." He (Hines) can't be that unsophisticated.

I didn't prep Hines for the interview... Don't blame me.

BATMAN
11-29-2009, 09:27 PM
I should have stated that in my post. Hines did say a lot but, I don't think it was meant to be a cut on Ben. Hines was just downloading his injury history and how he did things.
Didn't sound favorable to Ben, that is for sure but, I would like to think Hines has his act together more than that.

One thing for sure is, Hines wants another Super Bowl win and his clock is ticking. Maybe he does feel Ben is spending a possible season away from a return trip to the Super Bowl.

Wolfhound45
11-29-2009, 09:36 PM
I watched the entire interview. Before there was even one comment from NBC I got the impression that HW was questioning Ben's toughness.

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Ben wants to play, but the doctors wouldn't clear him after those post-practice headaches. With the NFL cracking down on concussions now, there was no way Tomlin could have allowed it. We aren't the only team taking such concussions seriously. See also Arizona (Warner), Philadelphia (Westbrook), and Washington (Portis). Ben not playing has nothing whatsoever to do with his toughness. It is a medical decision that is out of his hands.

Starlifter
11-29-2009, 11:00 PM
look, i want ben to be healthy, safe and have a long career. that being said, the vast majority of NFL players would never have said one friggin word about a headache after practice. is it the smart thing to do? yep, he has to protect his career. tough? well...........

frankthetank1
11-29-2009, 11:11 PM
if the decision was tomlins to sit ben than how does that question ben's toughness for not playing? ben plays through most injuries

cruzer8
11-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Ben was getting headaches after not even being hit in practice. Imagine what happens if he gets hit in this game.

Sitting him was the right decision.

BATMAN
11-30-2009, 01:19 AM
They're interviewing Hines right now about his comments to Bob Costa and Hines is half way trying to smooth at his previous words.

SteelCrazy
11-30-2009, 04:25 AM
No matter who's decision, Ward said he would have lied to the Dr. to make sure he would be able to play in a game this big....That's how it comes back on Ben, in Hines eye.....

Scarletfire1970
11-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Wonder if Hines would be willing to take care of Ben 20-30 years from now when Ben doesn't even know his name.

JTP53609
11-30-2009, 10:36 AM
love hines, but wow, he dropped a few notches in my opinion...i cant believe he actually called him out like that, saying he has played through concussions and injury.....hey hines, last year in the afc championship, you got hurt, how did you do in the second, third and fourth qtr....oh wait you did not play...dont call out your qb, i am so pissed right now,
sure big ben is a drama queen and blows up injuries like it is his job, but when you deal with head injuries, be safe and sit out, if we win out we are in the playoffs, is anyone questioning troy's toughness, or aaron smith, keamatu...this is total bs to call out your qb on national tv, and not only to call him out, but to keep talking about it is just pitiful,
if im big ben, i seriously think about asking for a trade, becasue it is apparent that he is not respected in that locker room, no team mvp awards, and now people questioning his toughness, the guy is hit hard every other play but lets quesiton his toughness...

Ghost
11-30-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't know how anyone who watched the entire interview didn't come away thinking Hines questioned Ben's toughness. It was pretty clear. He said he's lied to the doctors in the past so they didn't know how bad he was hurting and certainy implied Ben could have done the same. He mentioned how big a game this was and how surprised he was Ben wasn't playing. Even my wife looked at me and said - that's crappy that Hines is calling out Big Ben.

feltdizz
11-30-2009, 10:52 AM
While it's crappy of Hines this is part of the problem with the drama that is Big Ben... Is it the toe? The ribs? The shoulder? The leg? Ben has made a living with the injury bug phone hotline to reporters without the team doctors knowledge this type of WTF moment definitely will come up in the locker room.

JAR
11-30-2009, 11:09 AM
I think the whole thing was an out of context situation.

Steelers' Ward backs away from comments

By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, November 30, 2009
Last updated: 7:43 am

BALTIMORE Hines Ward shrugged off the notion that he started a controversy when he said in an interview taped Saturday that he wanted quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to play against the Ravens and that 50 percent of the players in the Steelers locker room felt the same way.

The interview aired on NBC's "Football Night in America," prior to the station's telecast of the Steelers' 20-17 overtime loss to the Ravens.

Ward said he simply picked the wrong words when he used "50-50 toss up" to describe how the Steelers felt about Roethlisberger playing in Baltimore after sustaining a concussion the previous week in Kansas City.

"Me calling him out or whatever, that wasn't my intention," the veteran wide receiver said.

Roethlisberger practiced all last week and said Thursday that he planned to play against the Ravens, whose game-winning field goal was set up by a Dennis Dixon interception.

Roethlisberger, however, started suffering from exercise-induced headaches at the end of the week, coach Mike Tomlin said.

Dr. Joseph Maroon, the Steelers' neurosurgeon and a leading authority on concussions, recommended to Tomlin on Saturday that Roethlisberger not play against the Ravens.

Roethlisberger suited up as the team's No. 3 quarterback, meaning he would have only been eligible to play had Dixon and backup Tyler Palko gotten hurt.

Had that happened, Tomlin said, Roethlisberger would have only gone into the game to hand off to one of the Steelers' running backs.

As for what Ward said in the interview with NBC, Tomlin dismissed that it would cause some sort of rift between the Steelers' offensive co-captains.

"I'm not worried about a problem in the locker room," Tomlin said after the Steelers lost three games in a row for the first time during his tenure. "In that instance maybe Hines was uninformed. I didn't give him the detailed explanation that went into the decision-making terms of what Dr. Maroon suggested."

Ward said his comments to NBC were a product of frustration more than anything else.

"We needed him out there; we wanted him out there," Ward said of Roethlisberger. "This is the biggest game of the year. We lose and we kind of dug ourselves in a hole. I just wish we would have had all of our weapons out there."

Said Roethlisberger, "I want to go out there and play, but the doctors told me it wasn't a good decision. The coaches told me the same thing, so I wasn't playing."

Ward said he doesn't think there will be a need to talk with Roethlisberger about the comments he made.

"I don't know what I have to say," Ward said. "I'm not going to get into a war or words with my own quarterback. It was just frustrating because we didn't find out that he wasn't starting until (last) Saturday. Finding out your starting quarterback's not playing until Saturday, it was shocking."

Jom112
11-30-2009, 11:33 AM
"I'm not worried about a problem in the locker room," Tomlin said after the Steelers lost three games in a row for the first time during his tenure. "In that instance maybe Hines was uninformed. I didn't give him the detailed explanation that went into the decision-making terms of what Dr. Maroon suggested."

I'm not buying the whole "I didn't give him the detailed explanation" comment from Tomlin (Although I don't fault Tomlin for saying that). Ward is a veteran who has played with Ben for several seasons now. Ward shouldn't need a "detailed" explanation to not call out his QB.

I don't blame Ben though, if you have a concussion then sit out. He's had several already, it was smart of him not to go back so soon. That's what Westbrook did and he got another concussion in his first game back...

NC Steeler Fan
11-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Honestly, while I love Hines and will admit he wears his emotions on his
sleeve and typically doesn't choose his words carefully, I suspect the
biggest drama is in the fans' and media's reaction to it all.

Oooooh, Hines is in trouuuuuble!

Ben's gonna be maaaaaaaaaaad!

Sheesh... :roll:

JAR
11-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Honestly, while I love Hines and will admit he wears his emotions on his
sleeve and typically doesn't choose his words carefully, I suspect the
biggest drama is in the fans' and media's reaction to it all.

Oooooh, Hines is in trouuuuuble!

Ben's gonna be maaaaaaaaaaad!

Sheesh... :roll:

Exactly, it's a lot of Steelers fans who are drama queens, not Ben. :P

NWNewell
11-30-2009, 02:21 PM
look, i want ben to be healthy, safe and have a long career. that being said, the vast majority of NFL players would never have said one friggin word about a headache after practice. is it the smart thing to do? yep, he has to protect his career. tough? well...........

And then you end up like Merrill Hodge. Spending two years learning how to read, write, and take care of yourself all over again. Hopefully, players and the NFL can learn from others unfortunate histories.

You might call keeping it "tough", but I'd call it stupid. Ben means more to this franchise than one game. He's got 5+ good years left in him if he stays healthy. You're willing to trade all that production and go back to the likes of O'Donnell and Stewart for one game? The 100 Million dollar man, as some of you label him, as a franchise quarterback does the right thing for the franchise. And that is not just being weak. It's being honest about the situation so the doctors, coaches, and team can make the best decision for the team and franchise. It's a lot tougher to make the right move for future gain and take the so called criticism than it is to lie about it.