PDA

View Full Version : SidSmythe's Hopes for Dennis Dixon

SidSmythe
11-29-2009, 05:51 PM
In a league that is looking for it's next star . . . Dixon faces a tough defense tonight.

MY HOPE???
Dixon can get the ball deep to Mike Wallace.
Dixon can make a few plays w/ his feet

IF Dixon can just be a 1 game wonder, how many people think he could become serious tradebait. Remember the Bills giving up the 9th overall pick for Rob Johnson??? I doubt 1 game would do that for Dixon, but possibly a team out there would give up a nice pick for the former Heisman front runner who played exceptionally well against the Ravens.

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2009, 06:24 PM
The Falcons were able to get a couple of 2nd round picks in exchange for Matt Schaub on the basis of some solid preseason showings and the occassional spot start when Vick was nicked up. One game is not going to vault him to such a stratosphere, but it could be the start of getting him recognized by some other teams who may be looking for a QB in the coming years.

Ozey74
11-29-2009, 06:28 PM
or his performance would give us a reason to want to have him on our rosters for many years to be our backup QB. With a starter that puts themselves at risk for injury as much as Ben, a solid backup QB is more important to our team than it is for other teams.

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2009, 06:36 PM
or his performance would give us a reason to want to have him on our rosters for many years to be our backup QB. With a starter that puts themselves at risk for injury as much as Ben, a solid backup QB is more important to our team than it is for other teams.

True, but I think we re-sign Leftwich again this off-season. The only reason that he left was to pursue a starting opportunity, and now that that is not a realistic option for him anymore, I think he would like to return to Pittsburgh on a reasonable deal to be the backup. I think we'd like a veteran backup (as you mentioned, because of Ben's injury risk) and Batch looks like he's too fragile to be trusted in that position beyond this season.

Ozey74
11-29-2009, 06:54 PM

True, but I think we re-sign Leftwich again this off-season. The only reason that he left was to pursue a starting opportunity, and now that that is not a realistic option for him anymore, I think he would like to return to Pittsburgh on a reasonable deal to be the backup. I think we'd like a veteran backup (as you mentioned, because of Ben's injury risk) and Batch looks like he's too fragile to be trusted in that position beyond this season.

I agree with you: Batch is no longer an option. Besides his injury issues, he is long in the tooth. I'd be happy with Leftwich if he was to come back as a back-up. He loved his time that he spent in the Burg & he is almost 30 so he can give us 4-5 more years of service.

If Dixon was to have success as a back-up, he'd be sure to test the FA waters once his contract expired.

I'd like to see Batch stick around and get a spot on the coaching staff.

feltdizz
11-29-2009, 07:26 PM

Leftwich? Helllllll naw. If Dixon shows out why would we get rid of a cheaper and younger back up? I doubt Dixon has the mechanics that would make a GM give up a second. Schaub benefitted from being the backup for an unconventional QB who ran a lot. If Matt Ryan was the starter and Schaub relived him he would be Redman... and I highly doubt Redman is going to get the Schaub treatment.

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Byron was solid for us last season. Playing in parts of 5 games for us, he completed 21 out of 36 passes (58.3%) for 303 yards (8.4 yards per attempt) with 2 TD's and 0 INT's (104.3 QB rating).

I wouldn't mind having a veteran backup who works well with Ben and is still under 30 (his 30th birthday will be in January) with over 10,000 yards passing with 58 TD's and 41 INT's in his NFL career.

DukieBoy
11-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Yes to bringing Lefty back.

In the meantime, how about two Dixon to Sweed bombs for Steeler TD's tonight.

Jooser
11-29-2009, 08:09 PM
First things first, I just hope that Dixon plays well enough to upset the Ratbirds tonight. I'd be ecstatic, let me tell you, and I'd not criticize him for a while...promise. :wink: