PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger Out

steelerkeylargo
11-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Roethlisberger wont play on sunday. Per Jay Glazer. Playoffs slipping away!!!!!!!!!

BURGH86STEEL
11-28-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't think the playoffs are slipping away at this point. Still 6 games to be played. Other players will have to step up and perform.

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2009, 12:26 PM
If Ben indeed sits and Dixon starts, we cannot just suddenly run the ball 75% of the time, because the Ravens are the #5 rush defense in the league (allowing 92.1 yards per game on the ground) but are the #17 pass defense in the league (allowing 217.9 yards per game through the air). We will have to run more than we have with Ben in there, but we can't go overboard. We may see an actual 50-50 split.

Dixon may not be experienced, but he does have plenty of weapons in Hines, Holmes, Wallace, Heath, and Mendenhall to throw to. Plus, he is mobile enough to avoid the pressure of a Raven pass rush (Suggs being out helps in that regard as well). Finally, in his first start, he is much more likely to take advantage of some of the underneath stuff that people have been claiming has been ignored by Ben lately. Rashard could have one of those games where he rushes for 90 yards and also gets another 65 yards on a half-dozen receptions or so.

BigRob
11-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Arians better get game tape from the last 4 Titans game. Use Mendenhall like Chris Johnson as much as possible and use Dixon the same way that the Titans have been doing with Vince Young. If his first read isn't open, run the hell out of the ball.

Needs to be plenty of designed runs and scrambling from Dennis Dixon.

BURGH86STEEL
11-28-2009, 12:34 PM
If Ben indeed sits and Dixon starts, we cannot just suddenly run the ball 75% of the time, because the Ravens are the #5 rush defense in the league (allowing 92.1 yards per game on the ground) but are the #17 pass defense in the league (allowing 217.9 yards per game through the air). We will have to run more than we have with Ben in there, but we can't go overboard. We may see an actual 50-50 split.

Dixon may not be experienced, but he does have plenty of weapons in Hines, Holmes, Wallace, Heath, and Mendenhall to throw to. Plus, he is mobile enough to avoid the pressure of a Raven pass rush (Suggs being out helps in that regard as well). Finally, in his first start, he is much more likely to take advantage of some of the underneath stuff that people have been claiming has been ignored by Ben lately. Rashard could have one of those games where he rushes for 90 yards and also gets another 65 yards on a half-dozen receptions or so.

I believe a lot run games fortunes will depend on the heath of Ngata. Their run defense is not as good without him healthy. I agree, the Steelers can't go over board one way or another. Dixon can't afford to stare down WR's with Ed Reed lurking.

With or without Ben, I look forward to seeing how the team performs.

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2009, 12:36 PM
With no one behind Dixon at all right now (unless they promote Palko from the practice squad), I would recommend as little contact for Dixon as possible (and since I don't think we have any designed QB runs in the playbook anyway...except for the QB sneak on 3rd and 1...I don't think it will be an issue). I suspect that even if Ben does not start, he may have to suit up as an emergency backup option...simply because we don't have anyone else right now.

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Glazer says the reason is exercise-induced headaches.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10442146/Roethlisberger-won't-play-Sunday-

Roethlisberger won't play Sunday
by Jay Glazer

Updated: November 28, 2009, 11:18 AM EST

The Pittsburgh Steelers are turning to Plan B.

The Steelers are sitting Ben Roethlisberger out of Sunday's division matchup with the Ravens and Dennis Dixon will get the start, FOXSports.com has learned.
Big Ben was suffering from exercise-induced headaches as the week progressed and the team's medical staff deemed him unfit for the contest.

The NFL this week launched a new initiative on concussions and is clearly trying to take a more conservative approach when it comes to head trauma.

Jooser
11-28-2009, 12:54 PM
NUTS!

steelerkeylargo
11-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Some of you have been asking for Wildcat formation. Dont be surprised to see it tomorrow.

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Some of you have been asking for Wildcat formation. Dont be surprised to see it tomorrow.

No thanks. I don't want Dixon to get hurt on a designated run and then have all 3 QB's on the shelf. And I'm not ready to have Mendenhall and Parker in the backfield together without a QB in there as if they were Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams. I think we play this game straight up. The offensive gameplan for the Raven game was installed earlier in the week anyway. You aren't going to add a whole new package during a Saturday walkthrough.

Wolfhound45
11-28-2009, 01:48 PM
These past two losses are coming back to haunt us. We are cutting this much too close.

phillyesq
11-28-2009, 01:50 PM
This is not the news I wanted to see after a few days hiatus from the board.

Flasteel
11-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Looks like it's true.

This sucks. This sucks bad.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09332/1017071-100.stm

Saturday, November 28, 2009
By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In a stunning development, it appears Dennis Dixon and not Ben Roethlisberger will start at quarterback against the Baltimore Ravens tomorrow night after Roethlisberger experienced headaches recently after practicing this week.

Doctors will test him today before the Steelers board their flight to Baltimore at mid-afternoon and again tomorrow to determine how he feels and if he can play at all.

Although Roethlisberger said on Thursday that he felt fine, passed every test they'd given him and would start against the Ravens, he apparently began having second thoughts yesterday as he developed headaches following practices on Wednesday and Thursday. Roethlisberger left last Sunday's game in Kansas City with what were described as concussion-like symptoms after a blow to his head.

Those symptoms disappeared on Monday and every test administered to him failed to show any symptoms of a concussion.

However, Dixon took most of the snaps in practice on Friday while Roethlisberger took a few here and there.

The Steelers plan to sign quarterback Tyler Palko from the practice squad today to their 53-man roster and he will back up Dixon tomorrow in Baltimore provided Roethlisberger does not suit up.

Palko's first practice with the Steelers came Thursday after he cleared CFL waivers and was signed to their practice squad. Veteran receiver Shaun McDonald will be released.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09332/10 ... z0YB8E8HUK (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09332/1017071-100.stm#ixzz0YB8E8HUK)

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Interesting that McDonald was released to bring Palko up to the 53 man roster. For better or for worse, Sweed is your #4 receiver, kids. And, actually, Limas probably has more of a rapport with Dixon than any of our starting WR's, because Dixon and Sweed have been working together on the scout team all season. I predict 2 catches for Sweed this week.

Since Ben was passing the ImPACT concussion tests this week, but was experiencing headaches after practice, is it possible that those headaches aren't necessarily due to any concussion (brain impacting the skull), but rather as a result of some severe neck strain? When he was hit, I thought the torque of his neck appeared to be worse than the impact on his head. When you folks have very sore necks, doesn't that give you headaches after exercising? Just throwing out possibilities...

AkronSteel
11-28-2009, 02:26 PM
This probably isn't good news but I'm excited to see what Dixon can do! I suppose we will run the ball some more but I sure hope that Arians doesn't put the handcuffs on Dennis. Lets see what the kid can do. What can it hurt really? We will still be in the thick of the playoff hunt with or without this game!

I fully expect the team to take another one on the chin but hey might as well throw caution to the wind and see what DD can do with his opportunity!!! Lets see the guy run around and make some plays with his arm and his feet!!!

:2c

grotonsteel
11-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Is it confirmed Big Ben is out?? Yahoo Sports is saying he is questionable

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ajs.r_69O8rMshCD6sTwxNdDubYF?slug=ap-steelers-roethlisberger&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Foxsports.com first reported that Roethlisberger would not play. The Steelers continue to list Roethlisberger as questionable, meaning there is a 50-50 chance he will play.

Is Ngata playing for Ratbirds???? If Ngata is not there i like Mendy's chances of running havoc on Ratbirds D.

skyhawk
11-28-2009, 03:26 PM
The season is in serious jeopardy now.

The Steelers cannot afford to lose any more starters. But they likely will. At this point it may not matter.

NorthCoast
11-28-2009, 03:37 PM
We certainly have a lot of optimists on the board but the realist in me says that Dixon will have a very tough outing. I can easily see a 2 INT, 12-25 for 123 yds outing from him. Ravens D won't let us run and will force Dixon to try to make plays. I don't see a good outcome in this one. Sorry...

Leper Friend
11-28-2009, 03:57 PM
We certainly have a lot of optimists on the board but the realist in me says that Dixon will have a very tough outing. I can easily see a 2 INT, 12-25 for 123 yds outing from him. Ravens D won't let us run and will force Dixon to try to make plays. I don't see a good outcome in this one. Sorry...
I have to agree. This could get ugly on offense.I want to see Arians be a little creative here though. Move the pocket , have a few designed QB draws , take advantage of Dixon's athleticism. They can't go into the game with the same vertical passing attack.

Leper Friend
11-28-2009, 04:34 PM

No thanks. I don't want Dixon to get hurt on a designated run and then have all 3 QB's on the shelf. And I'm not ready to have Mendenhall and Parker in the backfield together without a QB in there as if they were Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams. I think we play this game straight up. The offensive gameplan for the Raven game was installed earlier in the week anyway. You aren't going to add a whole new package during a Saturday walkthrough.They knew all week that Dixon was a real possibility. They can adjust the gameplan.

NKySteeler
11-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Is it confirmed Big Ben is out?? Yahoo Sports is saying he is questionable

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ajs.r_69O8rMshCD6sTwxNdDubYF?slug=ap-steelers-roethlisberger&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Foxsports.com first reported that Roethlisberger would not play. The Steelers continue to list Roethlisberger as questionable, meaning there is a 50-50 chance he will play.

Saturday, November 28, 2009
Source: Big Ben out against Ravens
ESPN.com news services

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be scratched for Sunday night's game against the Baltimore Ravens because of his concussion and will only be the third quarterback, a source confirmed to ESPN.com's John Clayton on Saturday.

Roethlisberger expressed reservations about playing Friday, and he and the Steelers' medical staff decided Saturday to sideline him.

The Steelers will sign quarterback Tyler Palko off the practice squad and release receiver Shaun McDonald. Dennis Dixon will be the starting quarterback and Palko will be the backup.

Here is the complete article....
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4695497

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2009, 04:59 PM

No thanks. I don't want Dixon to get hurt on a designated run and then have all 3 QB's on the shelf. And I'm not ready to have Mendenhall and Parker in the backfield together without a QB in there as if they were Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams. I think we play this game straight up. The offensive gameplan for the Raven game was installed earlier in the week anyway. You aren't going to add a whole new package during a Saturday walkthrough.They knew all week that Dixon was a real possibility. They can adjust the gameplan.

But why in the hell would you want to run the ball with Dixon, risking yet another QB injury, since his only backup is a guy they got off waivers from the Canadian Football League just this week??? I think it is more likely that we max protect for Dixon than have him running the ball in the damn wildcat.

Leper Friend
11-28-2009, 05:06 PM

But why in the hell would you want to run the ball with Dixon, risking yet another QB injury, since his only backup is a guy they got off waivers from the Canadian Football League just this week??? I think it is more likely that we max protect for Dixon than have him running the ball in the damn wildcat.I'm not saying I want the wildcat and I don't think that's going to be the case anyway. Dixon's athleticism should be at least a threat though . I want to see more bootlegs or plays designed to move the pocket and at least give the Ravens D something to think about with Dixon's legs.

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2009, 05:26 PM

But why in the hell would you want to run the ball with Dixon, risking yet another QB injury, since his only backup is a guy they got off waivers from the Canadian Football League just this week??? I think it is more likely that we max protect for Dixon than have him running the ball in the damn wildcat.I'm not saying I want the wildcat and I don't think that's going to be the case anyway. Dixon's athleticism should be at least a threat though . I want to see more bootlegs or plays designed to move the pocket and at least give the Ravens D something to think about with Dixon's legs.

I agree regarding bootlegs and moving the pocket to cut the field in half, thus simplifying things for Dixon in his first start while maximizing his physical gifts. I just don't want to see designed QB runs that could potentially put the only QB left that has been with the team for more than a few day in jeopardy.

winwithd
11-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Last year they seemed to face a big test almost every week and more often than not rose to the occasion. This time everyone is going to need to step up and give it their best, and I think they can do it. Even if they lose, they may have to win out but they did it in '05. It is not a 'killer' schedule the rest of the way. But recent history seems to show that we do better with tough stuff. KC and the Bungals were playing games that, to them, were personal Super Bowls. We walked into those games thinking, I think, 'here is a team we are better than and should beat'.

If we win this one I think we are in good shape since Ben and Troy will be healthy again in a few weeks. It also gives some guys an opportunity to step up their game and show what they can do. If we don't win, I don't think we will be done but our backs will definitely be against the wall.

I have been wondering most of the season how Dixon was doing and now will get to find out. I was thinking they should use him in the red zone to mix things up a bit. Not necessarily gadgets plays but something to cross up the defense. His threat to run or throw adds another headache for them to deal with.

Besides, how SWEET would it be to beat the Ratbirds in THEIR house on primetime TV WITHOUT Troy and Smitty on D AND a third-string QB making his first ever start. And in the process all but eliminate them from the playoffs.

MeetJoeGreene
11-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Dixon has a very strong arm.

I don't think he will underthrow Wallace.

First play: Play action to Mendy, Ravens stack the line, Wallace has single coverage and blows his guy away. Dixon is going to get sacked but flings a 55 yard bomb that Wallace runs under and goes in for the TD.

How's that for black and gold covered homer glasses?

Lebsteel
11-28-2009, 06:26 PM

First play: Play action to Mendy, Ravens stack the line, Wallace has single coverage and blows his guy away. Dixon is going to get sacked but flings a 55 yard bomb that Wallace runs under and goes in for the TD.

:tt1 :tt2 :tt1 I told my wife today that it might be good to sit Ben for this game, hoping that we can somehow win it, and then concentrate on the next five games with a healthy Ben and Troy. I didn't expect to come home and really see it come across the TV screen. She said it didn't matter because it is too late. I hope she is wrong!

NKySteeler
11-28-2009, 06:28 PM

.... Rather appealing IMO.... 8)

ANPSTEEL
11-28-2009, 06:36 PM

I was about to point out the positive aspect of this situation.

Dixon has a better long ball than Ben.

Steelerphile
11-28-2009, 07:42 PM
I like Dixon. He has the athletic tools to get the job done. A guy has to get his first start sometime. Baltimore might start celebrating, relax and underestimate the young man. That could be their downfall.

As long as he keeps a cool head and watches out for Ed Reed, I think the Steelers can still win this game. I would expect that he would throw shorter, quicker passes and an occasional deep throw sprinkled in, at least early in the game. As he gets more comfortable or desperate, as the case may be, they may want to try other routes.

He's got to make a few plays with his wheels to keep them honest. Go DD, your time has come.

feltdizz
11-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Everyone is selling Dixon short... He has nothing to lose brides the game and no one expects him to win anyways....

Look at Vince Young... He is not a great QB but he wins... We don't need Marino we need a "game manager"

papillon
11-28-2009, 08:53 PM

I was about to point out the positive aspect of this situation.

Dixon has a better long ball than Ben.

And, you're basing this fact on how many passes thrown by Dennis Dixon in the NFL? I hope you're right, but not much to go on to make that statement.

Pappy

NorthCoast
11-30-2009, 09:28 PM

I wasn't too far off the mark. Dixon's final numbers:

12-26 for 145 yds, 1 INT, 1 TD (running).

(maybe I should start betting on games?)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-01-2009, 11:04 AM

I wasn't too far off the mark. Dixon's final numbers:

12-26 for 145 yds, 1 INT, 1 TD (running).

(maybe I should start betting on games?)
Not that it really matters but Dixon had 2 TDs. 1 passing and 1 running.

SteelAbility
12-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Arians better get game tape from the last 4 Titans game. Use Mendenhall like Chris Johnson as much as possible and use Dixon the same way that the Titans have been doing with Vince Young. If his first read isn't open, run the hell out of the ball.

Needs to be plenty of designed runs and scrambling from Dennis Dixon.

PRECISELY. This will open up the passing game.