PDA

View Full Version : What's the Higher Ethic Here?

SteelStallion
11-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Interested to hear your opinions about players playing postconcussive.

It seems to me that despite all the lip service about NFL players and concussions that rather than err on the side of caution there's still this 'suck it up and play' mentality. So we see the Warners and Rothlisbergers attempting to play one week after a concussion. And they posture like it's their personal decision as if they're capable of being objective or qualified to make the final decision on their own. Head coaches and teams posture like it's not their decision but somebody else's- the player or 'team doctors'- problem is there's no such thing as a 'concussion expert' medically speaking (and esp. as applied to NFL players), so it's more opinion than science.

If you were Coach Tomlin how would you handle this? What would be your higher ethic?

sd steel
11-28-2009, 03:24 AM
In my opinion, football is fun, and it makes alot of guys alot of money. If the player says he is good to go, then he should go. I will agree it is up to the player. If he says he can play, thn he should. But thats coming from a guy who has had a least 4 big time concussions, and I don't play contact sports anymore, but I'm cognisant enough to make 6 figures, and I will still go heads up with anyone. I wish people would quit being such pu$$es!

I was taught a long time ago that if there is no blood coming out of your eyes your ears or your nose you can keep on playing. Was that extreme? yes!! But dont be a pu$$!

Flasteel
11-28-2009, 03:27 AM
In my opinion, football is fun, and it makes alot of guys alot of money. If the player says he is good to go, then he should go. I will agree it is up to the player. If he says he can play, thn he should. But thats coming from a guy who has had a least 4 big time concussions, and I don't play contact sports anymore, but I'm cognisant enough to make 6 figures, and I will still go heads up with anyone. I wish people would quit being such pu$$es!

I was taught a long time ago that if there is no blood coming out of your eyes your ears or your nose you can keep on playing. Was that extreme? yes!! But dont be a pu$$!

$$$$$$

Sack up.

Oviedo
11-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Ben is the franchise right now. If not perfect sit him on his butt. Season be damned. I'd rather have Ben for the next decade versus the next Chris Chandler.

Steeler Shades
11-28-2009, 11:33 AM
But dont be a pu$$!$$$$$$

Sack up.
x2
At least this week he'll have an excuse (unlike the previous two games).
8)

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2009, 11:56 AM
If there is such a thing as a concussion expert, it is the Steelers team neurosurgeon Joseph Maroon. Recently, both Brian Westbrook and Clinton Portis visited Dr. Maroon in Pittsburgh when they were experiencing post-concussion symption just like they would visit Dr. James Andrews in Alabama if they injured their knees.

Dr. Maroon developed the ImPACT neurological test, a 20-minute computer test that objectively evaluates memory, brain processing and visual motor skills. All players take this test when they are healthy before the season starts, and then take it again after any suspected concussion during the season. If the player scores significantly lower than his baseline number from the preseason, he is to be held out of practice or games because his brain is considered more susceptible to another concussion and greater damage. For all reports we have heard, Ben's ImPACT test results this week appear to be normal.

SuperSize
11-28-2009, 11:59 AM
I personally think this whole focus on concussions is totally overblown by the league & the media. No doubt there are players & former players who are struggling with neurological problems that are football/concussion related, but they want people to believe that this problem is epidemic, and it's not.

If the problem was as critical as the "experts" would have us believe, then most of the players from the 50's, 60's, and 70's would be vegetables now. I mean, back in the day, if a player got knocked out, the trainers would revive them with smelling salts/ammonia, and put them back in. Players REGULARLY struck opponents in the head with forearms, clothesline tackles, and even closed fists. In addition, the helmets were very primitive compared to what players wear today. Using today's definition of concussion, I would bet that the players of the past would have had DOZENS of concussions, but only a limited few display the dramatic results of a Mike Webster. I think that it is simply a case of some people just being more susceptible to long-term brain trauma than others, just as some people are more prone to muscle strain injuries than others.

Don't get me wrong, I think the players should be protected, but lets not go overboard. Ben says that he remembers the play, remembers the hit, and remembers going to the sideline and undergoing the tests. How does this qualify as a concussion?

The team should be cautious, but not stupid. There is no reason to turn everyone into a pu$$y, let him play.

Pete

feltdizz
11-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Hoges, Aikmen and so many others have cut their careers short because of concussions...

All last year the argument about the pioneers being left for dead just didn't happen now? Concussions are real and although we want players to suck it up the reality is these guys usually retire and rarely get to enjoy their money because they forget they have it.

Flasteel
11-28-2009, 01:42 PM
[quote="sd steel":16ajov0w]But dont be a pu$$!$$$$$$

Sack up.
x2
At least this week he'll have an excuse (unlike the previous two games).
8)[/quote:16ajov0w]

I just read where Ben was suffering from some "exercise-related" headaches late in the week. Unfortunately, this does change my opinion somewhat. My "sack up" comment was made with Ben being completely asymptomatic and a battery of tests indicating he was fine (what does this news say about the accuracy of these tests?).

Brain injuries are about the only thing that could give a player like Ben a free pass from his teammates in a situation like this. For all intents and purposes, our playoff hopes hang on this game and Roethlisberger is the most critical cog in the machine. Not only do our chances of winning significantly decline without him, but he is leaving his brothers out to dry when they need him most. You better have a damn good reason for sitting down and this, in my opinion qualifies.

At the same time, this seems extremely mild (as far as concussions go) and according to my limited knowledge on the subject, the risk of further injury is minimal. I get that there is an elevated risk of a second concussion and it is the cummulative effect of these injuries which threaten long-term health. A few headaches however, don't seem as if they would make much of a difference if he was to take a significant blow against the Ravens.

The bottom line for me is that we all have a limited time on this Earth and there are only so many chances to make your mark in history. For Ben, his shot at immortality is on the line every week and he especially can't take for granted how precious and rare moments like this are in a career. It's a tough choice and I wouldn't fault him for taking the safe approach. I can say however, that given the same circumstances, there is no question in my (soon to be mush) mind that I'd be out there battling.

But hey, that's just me.

feltdizz
11-28-2009, 02:01 PM
I made a terrible joke last year when they took Ben's facemask off in the Cleveland game... It looked funny though and seemed unnecessarry at the time. However any injury to Ben's head should be treated as a serious injury. Dude had his skull cracked...

I just wish people would stop talking about Dixon like he is a special needs kid.
He is the 3rd string and has limitations but I think he will get the win.

Steeler Shades
11-28-2009, 02:24 PM
I just wish people would stop talking about Dixon like he is a special needs kid.
I just hope he doesn't live down to expectations. 8)

brothervad
11-28-2009, 03:44 PM
for those of you who say suck it up and play, I have two words:

Mike Webster

brothervad

Steeler Shades
11-28-2009, 03:53 PM
For those of you that say take it easy and rest, I have two words:

Duce Staley
8)

brothervad
11-28-2009, 04:04 PM
For those of you that say take it easy and rest, I have two words:

Duce Staley
8)

S.S.

Please feel free to rebutt my comments as often as necessary...

just as long as you keep the photo :)

MeetJoeGreene
11-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Isn't there a more "concussion resistant" helmet available now? And, IIRC, Ben doesn't wear it???

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Isn't there a more "concussion resistant" helmet available now? And, IIRC, Ben doesn't wear it???

I believe he tried the Riddell Revolution during the pre-season a few years ago, but he preferred his usual model. If I'm not mistaken, the Revolution helmet is better at preventing concussions from straight-on collisions, but last week, the knee hit Ben's head from the side, jerking his neck awkwardly, so I doubt that a different helmet would have made a difference in this particular case (I could be mistaken, because it has been a while since this helmet issue was discussed, but I think that was the case).

steelernation77
11-28-2009, 06:57 PM
I'd rather Ben play it safe and be the Steeler QB for a long time than risk it and worsen the problem. Too many QBs have their careers cut short because of head injuries.

pfelix73
11-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Well, he's gonna keep his streak in tact. I do not believe he has made through an entire season without sitting at least 1 game due to an injury.

:tt1

Going from 6-2 to staring at 6-5 right in the face..... yuk.

Steeler Shades
11-28-2009, 10:32 PM
I seriously can NOT remember the answer to this:
Has Ben ever been injured in a game that we won? 8)

MaxAMillion
11-28-2009, 11:35 PM
I believe we won the Redskin game last year with Ben injured.

Steeler Shades
11-29-2009, 12:15 PM
I believe we won the Redskin game last year with Ben injured.
Maybe
I didn't ask the question correctly. I know we've won games that Ben never started, the question is have we won games that Ben never finished or that he was hurt during and then didn't play the following week? 8)

spyboots
11-29-2009, 01:26 PM
We don't want to risk Ben for the long-term by using him for a short-term gain. He will be the 3rd QB and I bet he plays only if absolutely necessary and only for a short while. The other QBs do not have to be injured to the 3rd QB to play, and they CAN come back in if the 3rd QB doesn't come in until the FOURTH quarter. Here are the rules, which are often misunderstood.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d809f6279&template=with-video&confirm=true)

We have the #1 defense now even without Troy. If our special teams can play well for a change, we'll be okay. Ravens have no film on Dixon. He doesn't hold onto the ball. He probably took reps all week and it just wasn't announced. I think we have a great chance to win this game -- if our O line and special teams play well and we make no mistakes. The defense may also score. Now we get the opportunity to see what Dixon can do.

Go Steelers!

Steeler Shades
11-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Hines Ward questions Ben's "toughness" on NBC pre-game? 8)