PDA

View Full Version : La Canfora: Big Ben may sit out against Ravens as precaution

RuthlessBurgher
11-27-2009, 06:39 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/27/roethlisberger-may-sit-out/

Roethlisberger may sit out; decision on Saturday
Posted: November 27th, 2009 | Jason La Canfora

Ben Roethlisberger, who suffered a concussion Sunday in Kansas City but was symptom free and able to practice all week, may opt to sit out Sunday night’s game against the Ravens, according to a league source. Roethlisberger was officially listed as questionable by the Steelers and widely expected to play, but informed coach Mike Tomlin Friday that he might sit out the game as a precaution, according to the source.

Roethlisberger told Tomlin he fears taking another blow to the head so soon after being knocked from a game, and will make a final decision on his playing status on Saturday morning, before team meetings, according to the source. The message caught the organization completely by surprise, as Roethlisberger made it through a full week of practice without complications and, until Friday afternoon, had given every indication he would play.

Roethlisberger, who has suffered concussions in the past, is the only veteran quarterback on the roster. Backup Charlie Batch is out after a wrist injury, and youngster Dennis Dixon is now the primary back-up, and now the potential starter in a key game. Roethlisberger has waffled on his playing status dealing with certain injuries in the past, and the team does not have a read on which way he will lean come Saturday, with one source who knows Roethlisberger calling it an “hour-to-hour” situation at this point.

The only other quarterback on the roster is Tyler Palko, who was just signed to the practice squad this week. The Steelers worked out veterans Patrick Ramsey and Todd Bouman Thursday, and though both performed, well did not sign either due to the expectation Roethlisberger would play. Neither veteran knows the system well enough to play this Sunday in Baltimore, so if Roethlisberger opts not to start, the Steelers would have to gauge whether or not he is open to serving as the backup or emergency quarterback.

Concussions have become an increasing concern around the NFL, and the Steelers will continue to take every precaution, with Roethlisberger able to make a determination about his status. Earlier Friday, before meeting with Tomlin, the Pro Bowl quarterback pronounced himself ready to play to the media, but the Steelers are most definitely uncertain about that reality now.

BURGH86STEEL
11-27-2009, 06:45 PM
I guess Ben could had let the organization know sooner so they could get Dixon some more snaps in practice. Oh well, it is what it is at this point. Not much they can do about it.

Jooser
11-27-2009, 06:45 PM
:shock: Oh SNAP! :wft

RuthlessBurgher
11-27-2009, 06:51 PM
I guess Ben could had let the organization know sooner so they could get Dixon some more snaps in practice. Oh well, it is what it is at this point. Not much they can do about it.

It has been widely reported that Dixon has been getting more snaps all week.

BURGH86STEEL
11-27-2009, 06:56 PM

It has been widely reported that Dixon has been getting more snaps all week.

I am sure he has with Batch out. I believe there is a difference in the way the team prepares when Ben plays as opposed to the back up. I just think they could had made better adjustments or game planning decisions if Ben had informed them sooner.

Ozey74
11-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Not to sound insensitive to the situation, but I think he will play & he knows it.

I think Ben likes to :stirpot & to keep people talking and I think this is what he is doing.
This is the freaking Ravens were playing & they are fighting for their playoff lives.

:ratsuck

skyhawk
11-27-2009, 08:54 PM
So is he playing or not?

Isn't against the rules to have a player not listed properly on the injury list?

Someone just posted an interview with Ben and he said that all tests have been passed with flying colors? So what's the precaution for?? :wft

Ozey74
11-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Has anyone seen anything on ESPN about this? La Canfora is the douche that said the Steelers were trading or cutting Casey Hampton back in training camp. This guy may not be the most credible source.

DukieBoy
11-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Playing poorly in KC and having to go to OT only to lose has cost alot (nearly two QB's + a lost opportunity to gain on Cinci & put Balt farther back).

This sounds more like either speculative reporting hoping to be correct to gain a rep.
Or it could just be flak.

Shoe
11-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Not to sound insensitive to the situation, but I think he will play & he knows it.

I think Ben likes to :stirpot & to keep people talking and I think this is what he is doing.
This is the freaking Ravens were playing & they are fighting for their playoff lives.

:ratsuck

I agree with you Ozey, that Ben is a drama queen. I wouldn't mind having him sit this week...

Do you guys think we have NO chance of winning without him? Personally, I don't think so at all versus this Ravens team. Granted we are a clear underdog in this scenario (no Ben, no Polamalu), but I do think we can hold their offense down. And I think there is the possibility of us being able to control the ball via the run against this Ravens D (not saying we can dominate on the ground; just saying they are clearly not what they normally are in terms of run D). If we can keep it close, who knows.

...Actually, the more I think of it, the more unlikely it seems. :HeadBanger

Play Ben!

spyboots
11-27-2009, 10:25 PM
This new guy LaCanfora doesn't know crap and is the one who said Casey Hampton was going to be cut. NFL Network should"ve kept Shefter, who knows his stuff. This LaCanfora seems to just stir up stuff, maybe doesn't like the Steelers. Ben's been practicing with the first team and said he's ready to go. Only way he wouldn't play is if the doctors say no.

Edited to add: And Florio is posting it on PFT because he knows he'll get a lot of hits in his comments and make more $.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Well, it sounds plausible to me. It would be a fitting turn of events for what looks to be shaping up as a lost season, just like 2006.

Oviedo
11-28-2009, 08:58 AM
If Ben even feels one bit less than perfect in the head he should sit. He is the most important asset on this team and long term I'd have no problem seeing this season slip away and know we were doing the right thing for Ben for the next decade.

This may be one of those seasons it just doesn't go our way. Learn from it regroup and come back next year. But no way do you risk Ben.

steelblood
11-28-2009, 10:06 AM
I don't have any problem with sitting out. But, he should have made that decision earlier so Dixon could get full reps.

feelthesteel
11-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Ben should sit why risk it?

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2009, 12:13 PM
So is he playing or not?

Isn't against the rules to have a player not listed properly on the injury list?

Someone just posted an interview with Ben and he said that all tests have been passed with flying colors? So what's the precaution for?? :wft

Well, Ben was listed as questionable early in the week before the ImPACT test results came out, then was switched to probable after Tomlin's press conference in which he said that the results were essentially normal. However, it switched back to questionable yesterday when Ben started saying that he may sit out as a precaution.

Essentially, if someone is not on the injury report at all, he'd have 100% chance of playing, "probable" means he has a 75% chance of playing, "questionable" means he has a 50% chance of playing, "doubtful" means he has a 25% chance of playing, and "out" means he has a 0% chance of playing.

If a guy wasn't on the injury report all week and then was suddenly deactivated (without tweaking something during pre-game warmups or something like that), then that would be against the rules regarding circumventing the NFL injury reports (the Jets were getting some flak for not disclosing Favre's shoulder injury last year, even though he did play in every game for them).

But Ben's injury has been widely reported. Since he is currently listed as questionable, that is a coin flip regarding whether or not he'd play. If he did sit out this game, there would be nothing questionable about our injury reporting practices (unlike New England, who listed Tom Brady as questionable for every game for several years in a row even though he played in every game during that time. The lesson, as always...Bill Belichick is a petulant child).