PDA

View Full Version : On two consecutive plays GB shows us what we need....

Lebsteel
11-26-2009, 03:29 PM
As I am waiting for the turkey meal....I turned on the GB vs. Detroit game and lo and behold GB has a kicker who can actually tackle the kick returner and a cornerback who has great hands. Understand, I am not complaining, but watching those two consecutive plays where Mason Crosby executes a near perfect tackle on the kick returner and then Charles Woodson lays out for a beautiful interception it really highlighted for me what we are missing as a team.

I know many of you have been saying that, but, wow, watching those two plays back to back really made me realize how pathetic Reed looks on kickoffs and how we really need a playmaking CB.

BATMAN
11-26-2009, 05:20 PM
I understand what you are saying. If I had to choose, I'd rather have a corner that could actually catch an interception. Maybe Sweed can be a corner ?

Eventually you would think the Special Teams will get their act together but Taylor, he'll never have good hands. I think in a short time, Gay will surpass Taylor in a large margin of interceptions caught. Obviously that won't tell the whole story because, I'm sure Ike is better at defending than Gay is.

If Taylor can't be taught or learn how to catch a ball, what chances do we have in developing Sweed ?

bostonsteeler
11-27-2009, 01:45 PM
If Taylor can't be taught or learn how to catch a ball, what chances do we have in developing Sweed ?

Zero to none, IMO.
That kind of creativity is Belichik territory. Mike T. has not really demonstrated it yet -- he's a more conventional thinker.

Mel Blount's G
11-27-2009, 02:44 PM

Zero to none, IMO.
That kind of creativity is Belichik territory. Mike T. has not really demonstrated it yet -- he's a more conventional thinker.
Who has belicheat taught to catch? Troy Brown would NOT have played cornerback if he couldn't catch. I doubt that the so-called "genius" could teach Ike to catch.

Also, to say we are missing an all-pro Heisman-winning cornerback is not breaking news. But keep in mind that, aytleast, it's Ike's ONLY real weakness imo whereas there are a number of starting corners in the league who can't tackle for sh!t, give up mucho YAC, get beat over the top with the long ball and generally give up 6's to the guy they're supposedly covering. But yes, we all wish Ike could catch.

RuthlessBurgher
11-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Yup, every player has his weakness. Ike's is his hands.

Do I wish Ike could catch? Sure, that would be great. But he is still an excellent corner in spite of that fact.

Even some of our all-time greats have weaknesses in their game.

Do I wish Hines had tremendous deep speed? Sure, that would be great. But he is still an excellent wideout in spite of that fact.

Do I wish Bettis was a weapon catching passes out of the backfield? Sure, that would have been great. But he was still an excellent running back in spite of that fact.

SidSmythe
11-27-2009, 09:09 PM
They can teach a Sea Lion at the zoo to stand on it's tail, clap and balance a beach ball on his nose. If they can teach a sea lion to do that, then IKE and LIMAS can learn how to catch.

bostonsteeler
11-27-2009, 09:10 PM

Zero to none, IMO.
Who has belicheat taught to catch? Troy Brown would NOT have played cornerback if he couldn't catch. I doubt that the so-called "genius" could teach Ike to catch.

I'm not saying anything about Ike. Mike T is not going to convert Sweed to a CB.