PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Working Out Ramsey, Bouman

Jooser
11-26-2009, 01:19 PM
PFT is reporting Jay Glazer as the source:

Steelers will kick tires on Patrick Ramsey, Todd Bouman

Posted by Mike Florio on November 26, 2009 11:46 AM ET

In August 2008, Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch suffered a broken collarbone. Shortly thereafter, the team brought in quarterbacks Byron Leftwich and Daunte Culpepper for workouts. Leftwich ultimately was signed.

This year, Batch suffered a wrist injury while replacing Ben Roethlisberger during overtime against the Chiefs on Sunday. With Tyler Palko officially added to the practice squad, two veteran quarterbacks will spend Thanksgiving in Pittsburgh, trying out for possible spots on the roster behind Roethlisberger and new backup Dennis Dixon.

Per FOX's Jay Glazer, the candidates are Patrick Ramsey and Todd Bouman.

Glazer also reports that, while Roethlisberger has passed all tests in connection with his latest case of bumpus-on-the-nogginus, Dixon will be taking increased reps with the offense in advance of Sunday night's game against the Ravens.

Thoughts? I don't know too much about either one of them.... :?:

Steel Life
11-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Wouldn't mind Ramsey (former 1st rd. pick of the Redskins) - but as a 3rd QB.

Oviedo
11-27-2009, 11:22 AM

Agree. Really sorry Leftwich left. He was the perfect back up with enough talent to get the job done if required and experience.

Dixon is just too much an unknown. Great athletic ability but that doesn't always translate to success in the NFL, i.e. Kordell Stewert

SidSmythe
11-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Would be nice to have another veteran in camp next year to get to know the offense ... there's always a 50/50 chance of Batch getting hurt at some point during the season.

Whenever I look at a QB I think of one thing:
Can I picture this guy taking me deep into the playoffs and possibly leading us to a SuperBowl. I'm sorry but I don't see this in Dennis Dixon

RuthlessBurgher
11-27-2009, 12:20 PM

Agree. Really sorry Leftwich left. He was the perfect back up with enough talent to get the job done if required and experience.

Dixon is just too much an unknown. Great athletic ability but that doesn't always translate to success in the NFL, i.e. Kordell Stewert

Coincidentally, the Bucs placed Leftwich on I.R. this week. They will likely release him after the season (one year into the 2 year deal) because they won't want to pay the $3.5 million roster bonus due in March for a guy who isn't their starter.

Recent events have likely convinced Byron that he is no longer a starter candidate in the NFL anymore, but rather a solid backup QB. We also likely realize that Batch is likely no longer a reliable backup option, due to yet another injury with very minimal work. My guess is that Byron and the Steelers reunite after this season. Next year, it will be Ben 1, Leftwich 2, and Dixon 3.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Unless the Steelers are considering signing one before the game Sunday, I would wait and also work out Losman & Bollinger. To me, this says Batch will be out more in the 6 week range and the Steelers are going to put him on IR and bring in a vet to learn the offense before the playoffs. If I had to rank the 4, I might say Losman, Ramsey, Bollinger, than Bouman. I would be OK with either Losman or Ramsey. Losman could still grow more and really didn't have much to work with in Buffalo. He could be a very solid #2. I would think Ramsey is the front runner because of experience. However, I think Ramsey, as well as Bollinger & Bouman are nothing better than #3's. Losman might have another chapter left in his story. I think the book is already written on the other 3.

Shoe
11-27-2009, 03:53 PM

He's no Kordell, in terms of athleticism or QB skills IMO. Kordell was amazing as a rookie (Slash). As for Ramsey/Bouman, if someone could tell me what these ham-&-eggers have EVER accomplished as NFL signal-callers, I might buy it.

As far as I know, Ramsey... (and BTW, I liked Ramsey coming out) has never shown ANYTHING. (e.g. like say, Trent Edwards at least showed, before he revealed himself as a ham & egger himself. Ramsey never flashed anything.) Same with Bouman.

Steel Life
11-27-2009, 05:31 PM

Coincidentally, the Bucs placed Leftwich on I.R. this week. They will likely release him after the season (one year into the 2 year deal) because they won't want to pay the $3.5 million roster bonus due in March for a guy who isn't their starter.

Recent events have likely convinced Byron that he is no longer a starter candidate in the NFL anymore, but rather a solid backup QB. We also likely realize that Batch is likely no longer a reliable backup option, due to yet another injury with very minimal work. My guess is that Byron and the Steelers reunite after this season. Next year, it will be Ben 1, Leftwich 2, and Dixon 3.
I agree with both of you, to a point...I wish Leftwich had never left & I do see him coming back next season as Charlie surely won't be picked up. But I have high hopes for Dixon, we all know he was considered as a 1st rd. pick before blowing out his knee & that we got him for a song because he was still rehabbing. The kid has a gun & can burn you with his feet, so I think he's got some skills...plus, I thought he looked real good in the pre-season with his reads & throws.