PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign LB Rocky Boiman

calmkiller
11-24-2009, 05:17 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2009/ ... um=twitter (http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2009/11/steelers-sign-lb-rocky-boiman/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

In need of special teams help, the Steelers signed linebacker Rocky Boiman to a one year deal on Tuesday. Boiman was drafted by the Tennessee Titans in the fourth round of the 2002 NFL Draft. He played his college football at Notre Dame. He has spent time on the rosters of Dallas, Indianapolis, Philadelphia and Kansas City. No word who was released to make room for Boiman.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Guessing Boiman replaces Bailey.

SteelCrazy
11-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Logan, he has looked bad on ST's coverage and hasnt lived up to the potential from preseason as a returner

ikestops85
11-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Logan, he has looked bad on ST's coverage and hasnt lived up to the potential from preseason as a returner

Sorry, not happening. Logan will stay ... Bailey is the obvious choice. I don't understand, the guy was great last year on special teams. This year ... nothing.

PSU_dropout43
11-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Corey Ivy signed; Ratliff and Donovan Woods cut.

http://pit.scout.com/2/923049.html

SteelBucks
11-24-2009, 06:11 PM
ST house cleaning continues......

Steelers make moves to bolster special teams
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Two more players were signed and two more sent packing by the Steelers today as they try to improve their special teams play, particularly their kickoff coverage.

Linebacker Donovan Woods, signed from the practice squad last week, and veteran cornerback Keiwan Ratliff were released. Taking their places are two NFL veterans, cornerback Corey Ivy and linebacker Rocky Boiman.

Ivy, 32, has played for five NFL teams, most recently the Baltimore Ravens, whom the Steelers play Sunday night. He played for Baltimore the past three seasons. He was released by the Clevleand Browns after spending this summer in training camp with them.

Ratliff made the Steelers after signing with them as a free agent last spring. Woods last week replaced Arnold Harrison after he was released.

Coach Mike Tomlin said today he would move aggressively to change his team's ills, which include four kickoff returns for touchdowns against them in the past five games.

The Steelers also signed offensive lineman Jonathan Palmer to their practice squad and released running back Justin Vincent.

Sugar
11-24-2009, 06:27 PM
So much for those who keep saying that Tomlin does "NOTHING" to cure the ST ills.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-24-2009, 07:01 PM
So much for those who keep saying that Tomlin does "NOTHING" to cure the ST ills.

Again, WHY did he wait SO LONG to make any moves? STs have been a glaring problem ALL SEASON LONG.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Okay, so Boiman and Ivy replace Woods and Ratliff on the active roster, and Palmer replaced Vincent on the practice squad. Makes sense. But we also added Palko to the practice squad. Who did he replace?

Chadman
11-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Always liked Boiman as a player- good & tough & can play if needed. Kinda like the Key Fox pick-up, but without the athletic ability.

Ivy replaces Ratliff who has been a non-factor. In reality, Ivy replaces Anthony Madison who was cut pre-season. In hindsight, the Steelers should just have kept Madison, who Chadman knows (thank you Facebook) was shattered to leave the Steelers. That being said, Ivy is a solid pick-up.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Ivy and Boiman should really help STs...

...unlike the token moves that have been made since the beginning of the season.

How about picking up a better ST coach, too?

skyhawk
11-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Always liked Boiman as a player- good & tough & can play if needed. Kinda like the Key Fox pick-up, but without the athletic ability.

Ivy replaces Ratliff who has been a non-factor. In reality, Ivy replaces Anthony Madison who was cut pre-season. In hindsight, the Steelers should just have kept Madison, who Chadman knows (thank you Facebook) was shattered to leave the Steelers. That being said, Ivy is a solid pick-up.

Really? Did he post this on his FB account?

Vindrow
11-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Well, its about time he did something...though it is about 3 weeks to late.

LordVile
11-24-2009, 11:31 PM
let's hope for the best...

D Rock
11-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Okay, so Boiman and Ivy replace Woods and Ratliff on the active roster, and Palmer replaced Vincent on the practice squad. Makes sense. But we also added Palko to the practice squad. Who did he replace?

I'm thinking it was the hole opened up when Woods joined the practice squad to replace Arnold Harrison. I don't remember hearing about them signing anyone else to the PS after that move.

Sugar
11-24-2009, 11:47 PM

Again, WHY did he wait SO LONG to make any moves? STs have been a glaring problem ALL SEASON LONG.

This area was actually a strength last season and you don't want to upset the apple cart if things look flukey. They have actually changed some things around the last few weeks, this is just the latest.

Lebsteel
11-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Interesting information on Rocky. He was born and raised in Cincinnati and he posts on his blog:
"Just signed with the Steelers!!!
I'm back in action!!! Signed with the Steelers Nov. 14, look for #50 on Sunday night vs the Ravens.......Bengals fans don't hold it against me :)"

http://rockyboimanfootballacademy.com/

Hmmmm.......maybe he was so exicited he made a typo on the date, but who cares what the Bungal fans think!!!

RuthlessBurgher
11-25-2009, 12:42 AM

I'm thinking it was the hole opened up when Woods joined the practice squad to replace Arnold Harrison. I don't remember hearing about them signing anyone else to the PS after that move.

I think we signed LB Curtis Gatewood after promoting Woods.

Right now, our practice squad is:

80 Bright, Eugene TE 6-4 268 4/18/85 R Purdue
53 Gatewood, Curtis LB 6-2 242 5/18/85 2 Vanderbilt
19 Grisham, Tyler WR_ 5-11 180 6/11/87 R Clemson
37 Harris, Tuff S 6-0 198 1/23/83 3 Montana
69 McLendon, Steve DT 6-4 280 1/3/86 R Troy
?? Palmer, Jonathan OG 6-4 336 12/3/83 1 Auburn
33 Redman, Isaac RB 6-0 230 11/10/84 R Bowie State
61 Shipley, A.Q. C 6-0 298 5/22/86 R Penn State

One of these guys needs to go if we bring in Palko.

Chadman
11-25-2009, 01:09 AM

Really? Did he post this on his FB account?

Chadman asked him. It came right from him- but hey, maybe he was just being diplomatic.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-25-2009, 01:10 AM

I think we signed LB Curtis Gatewood after promoting Woods.

Right now, our practice squad is:

80 Bright, Eugene TE 6-4 268 4/18/85 R Purdue
53 Gatewood, Curtis LB 6-2 242 5/18/85 2 Vanderbilt
19 Grisham, Tyler WR_ 5-11 180 6/11/87 R Clemson
37 Harris, Tuff S 6-0 198 1/23/83 3 Montana
69 McLendon, Steve DT 6-4 280 1/3/86 R Troy
?? Palmer, Jonathan OG 6-4 336 12/3/83 1 Auburn
33 Redman, Isaac RB 6-0 230 11/10/84 R Bowie State
61 Shipley, A.Q. C 6-0 298 5/22/86 R Penn State

One of these guys needs to go if we bring in Palko.

Tuff Harris was pretty good on STs for the Titans last season, IIRC. Surprised he hasn't sniffed any game action.

phillyesq
11-25-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about Ivy. I seem to remember that he was a terrible corner, but perhaps he was better on special teams.

I seem to remember the Steelers checking out Boiman in FA a few years ago. I think they were looking at him for the Key Fox role -- backup LB and special teams leader. Hopefully he is still able to make a big contribution to kick coverage.

Hey, what is Sean Morey doing these days. :stirpot

NorthCoast
11-25-2009, 08:39 AM

This area was actually a strength last season and you don't want to upset the apple cart if things look flukey. They have actually changed some things around the last few weeks, this is just the latest.

I agree with Sugar. People that want immediate change know nothing about putting a team together. I have witnessed organizations that make knee-jerk reactions from month-to-month and I can tell you it ends up being more counterproductive...you chase a moving target. ST is a unit that must grow as a unit.

Surprised by the Woods move, thought he did well when given the opportunities. Guess the coaches see much more than we do. Tomlin has shown no fear in making changes...the next one needs to be the ST coach.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-25-2009, 11:00 AM
I like the Boiman move. OK with Ivy. I actually was hoping for Carroll because I thought we lacked some athleticsm on the outside. Ivy probably is a little more proven on ST but you know what you get with him. Carroll still is young and maybe could blossum into a very good ST player. I'm scratching my head on the PS move. I understand the position move...I just don't understand the player. I don't know too much about him but I know some of the other choices available. I guess someone liked this guy in the past or has knowledge of him. It looks like they were looking for a young interior OL. Some young guys available are listed below. I'm not 100% sure on the free agents if they were signed recently.

Rookie Free Agents:
Andy Kemp
Greg Isdaner
Ryan Stanchek

UFL available:
Jason Watkins
Elton Brown

UFL available after Friday:
Jason Capizzi
Rob Petitti
Charles Spencer

I'm not sure if they were looking for an interior guy or not.

flippy
11-25-2009, 11:58 AM
I remember noticing how hard Boiman played against us when he was with Ten several years ago. I think he could be a really good fit on this team.

The interesting thing about Ivy is he played for Tomlin in Tampa when they won a SuperBowl, so Tomlin must know something extra about him. I also remember Ivy having a career game against us once when he played for the Ravens and think he'll be a great ST add too although he's getting up their in age and may have lost a step.

True Fan
11-25-2009, 09:51 PM
I remember noticing how hard Boiman played against us when he was with Ten several years ago. I think he could be a really good fit on this team.

The interesting thing about Ivy is he played for Tomlin in Tampa when they won a SuperBowl, so Tomlin must know something extra about him. I also remember Ivy having a career game against us once when he played for the Ravens and think he'll be a great ST add too although he's getting up their in age and may have lost a step.

like he did about mahan?

RuthlessBurgher
11-25-2009, 10:06 PM

like he did about mahan?

Tomlin was the DB coach in Tampa and Ivy is a corner, so they were in meetings together on a daily basis. To draw a parallel, I suspect that Coach Horton knows Ty Carter better than Justin Hartwig.

True Fan
11-25-2009, 10:42 PM

like he did about mahan?

Tomlin was the DB coach in Tampa and Ivy is a corner, so they were in meetings together on a daily basis. To draw a parallel, I suspect that Coach Horton knows Ty Carter better than Justin Hartwig.

i agree, but that logic didn't curtail the 'real' fans from proclaiming mahan being a super 'steeler' type gem that tomlin had the goods on.