PDA

View Full Version : Team Stats are making me sort of hopeful...

RussBII
11-24-2009, 03:36 PM
According to the stats on NFL.com we are #1 in Total Defense, and #6 in total offense. Giving these stats, and having watched all the games... I've come to this conclusion:

All of our issues are completely fixable. I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with the Steelers as a team. They just need to tighten up in some areas. Namely KO returns and turnovers.

I don't know if this helps make anyone else feel better, but it has made me a relax a little more.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Considering that we have given up a non-offensive TD (kick return for TD, INT return for TD, fumble return for TD) in 8 straight games, it looks like our record would be totally different if not for those mistakes on offense or special teams. In those 8 games, we have 3 losses by 3 points, 6 points, and 3 points. If those non-offensive return plays don't happen, we win those games. And the other loss was a 3 point loss in an game in which we missed 2 makeable field goals. Every game was winnable. The way many of the chicken littles have been preaching lately, you'd think we are getting blown out game after game after game.

Our offense and defense are not getting dominated (in spite of people calling for the head of Arians and wanting to change our #1 ranked defense to a 4-3). It is these mistakes that are the difference. Clean up that sloppiness, and this team can be a force to be reckoned with.

ikestops85
11-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Considering that we have given up a non-offensive TD (kick return for TD, INT return for TD, fumble return for TD) in 8 straight games, it looks like our record would be totally different if not for those mistakes on offense or special teams. In those 8 games, we have 3 losses by 3 points, 6 points, and 3 points. If those non-offensive return plays don't happen, we win those games. And the other loss was a 3 point loss in an game in which we missed 2 makeable field goals. Every game was winnable. The way many of the chicken littles have been preaching lately, you'd think we are getting blown out game after game after game.

Our offense and defense are not getting dominated (in spite of people calling for the head of Arians and wanting to change our #1 ranked defense to a 4-3). It is these mistakes that are the difference. Clean up that sloppiness, and this team can be a force to be reckoned with.

I do agree with what you are saying but the flip side to those losses are they were to Chicago, KC, and twice to Cincy. Not exactly juggernauts in the NFL. They are all games we could have dominated instead the only game we dominated and won going away was the Denver game. The other games have been unreasonably close and that is why people don't feel so confident. The San Diego game had us up 28 - 0 yet I was still on my knees late in the 4th quarter praying for Skippy to put one through the uprights to seal the deal.

This team certainly has the ability to play championship ball but it's time for them to stop playing around and start building momentum for the playoffs. There's nothing like a Sunday night game against the Ravens to start. :tt2 :tt2

Steeler Mafia
11-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Careful with the Stats. They should also show that ....

1) We have given up more ST touchdowns in a season than any other team. (and the season isn't over)

2) There was a stat shown during the game regarding something about rushing attemps or rushing scores in the redzone. (Anyone else see this and can clarify what was said exactly)

My point is, you have to take the bad with the good.

RussBII
11-24-2009, 04:53 PM

1) We have given up more ST touchdowns in a season than any other team. (and the season isn't over)

2) There was a stat shown during the game regarding something about rushing attemps or rushing scores in the redzone. (Anyone else see this and can clarify what was said exactly)

Agreed, but I think those are certainly more fixable then having the 27th best offense in the league... That's all I'm saying...

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2009, 04:57 PM
There was a stat shown during the game regarding something about rushing attemps or rushing scores in the redzone. (Anyone else see this and can clarify what was said exactly)

I think it was along the lines of we've had 90-something rushes since the last time we scored a TD on a running play (and that streak continues, because all 3 of our TD's were via the pass, even though Mendenhall scored one of them).

Steeler Mafia
11-24-2009, 04:57 PM

Agreed, but I think those are certainly more fixable then having the 27th best offense in the league... That's all I'm saying...

This is true. Hopefully, though, we address those issues and fix them rather than doing what we have done up to this point, which is hope that it fixes itself.

Jooser
11-24-2009, 05:01 PM
I totally agree, fix the sloppiness, and we roll!

feltdizz
11-24-2009, 08:55 PM
this is why we are so angry...

I'm watching a team make game changing mistakes every week. I'm led to believe the Rooney's are playing Vegas with this team. We never cover the spread..LOL!!! I don't even gamble but damn.. every time we get up by 2 scores we gift wrap a TD to keep it interesting.

The teams we are losing to are not that good.. the teams we are barely beating are not that good. I'm starting to wonder if we are not that good. Good at stats.. but not good in the 60 minutes of hunger to repeat.

Flasteel
11-24-2009, 09:40 PM

Let's not confuse the issues.

NorthCoast
11-25-2009, 10:15 AM

Cowher was right...there is "a fine line" winning in the NFL today. There a plenty of examples of games (especially this season) that were decided by just one or two plays. Ask Cinci (against Denver), ask the Browns (against Detroit), ask Niners (against Vikes). Fact is, we have either let teams get that one or two plays or we have not found a play on O (witness having the ball in the last minutes of both Cinci and KC game but getting nothing). I am encouraged by our OL progress but we need some of the newer skill players to start playing with consistency.

SteelAbility
11-25-2009, 10:31 AM

I believe the stat was the Steelers had (at the time they posted it) the most rushing plays without a rushing TD. Something in the 95 range, with the next team being about 20 behind. That's incredible separation if you ask me.

SteelAbility
11-25-2009, 10:34 AM
I totally agree, fix the sloppiness, and we roll!

The problem is that the sloppiness is getting lost in the Ws. We all notice it like a sore thumb on the losses. But our 6 wins have all involved pretty heavy sloppiness. We now have 9-10 games of consistent sloppiness. In my book, that points to a fundamental problem. So, the implied if in correcting the sloppiness is more of an IF to me right now.