PDA

View Full Version : Cowher contacted by Bills

SteelCrazy
11-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Caught the tail end of the piece on NFL Network, but said Cowher would not be interested until the end of the season if he is even interested at all and the deal could be worth 10 million a year.

rpmpit
11-24-2009, 01:30 PM
So what's worse?? Constantly losing Super Bowls or constantly losing AFCCGs??

Sugar
11-24-2009, 01:36 PM
There's a story on this at espn.com. Cowher turned 'em down. He's either just not interested in coaching again right now or perhaps wants to see how Carolina shakes out.

Jom112
11-24-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm hearing rumors of Cowher being interested in either Chicago or Houston. Which makes sense, since those situations are better than Buffalo.

Plus I really doubt Ralph Wilson will pony up $10 Mil a year for anyone...

flippy
11-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Out of all the teams out there, I think the best fit for him would be:

1. SD
2. Dallas
3. Atlanta
4. Houston
5. Philly
6. Carolina.

Lonbull
11-24-2009, 02:28 PM
If Bill Cowher is a smart guy (and I think he is) - he'll wait until after the CBA is finished.

No point coming on to a team during a lock-out - and if a new CBA favors a team like Dallas or Washington (or any team that has the capacity and desire to spend "as much money as it takes") - that could certainly sway his opinion as in which direction to go.

I still maintain that Cowher would be most effective in college football - the pay could be competitive - and it just seems like it would be his kind of football - he seems to excel with younger players, and rebuilding teams - and I think his emotional style would set a campus on fire.

L.B.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2009, 02:38 PM
If Bill Cowher is a smart guy (and I think he is) - he'll wait until after the CBA is finished.

No point coming on to a team during a lock-out - and if a new CBA favors a team like Dallas or Washington (or any team that has the capacity and desire to spend "as much money as it takes") - that could certainly sway his opinion as in which direction to go.

I still maintain that Cowher would be most effective in college football - the pay could be competitive - and it just seems like it would be his kind of football - he seems to excel with younger players, and rebuilding teams - and I think his emotional style would set a campus on fire.

L.B.

Interesting...people assume that he is waiting for the Carolina Panthers job to open. Maybe he is waiting for JoePa to retire instead.

ikestops85
11-24-2009, 04:29 PM

L.B.

He might be a good college coach but I don't know if he would be a good recruiter. That's probably the most important job of a college coach. Can you picture "The Chin" sitting in a recruits kitchen getting all worked up selling his program and spitting all over the Mom and Dad? :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2009, 04:42 PM

L.B.

He might be a good college coach but I don't know if he would be a good recruiter. That's probably the most important job of a college coach. Can you picture "The Chin" sitting in a recruits kitchen getting all worked up selling his program and spitting all over the Mom and Dad? :lol:

Cowher: "What's for dinner? SSPPaghetti and SSPPinach? SSPPectacular!"

Recruit: "Eat up, coach. All you want. I suddenly lost my appetite."

Sugar
11-24-2009, 06:31 PM
I could see BC's enthusiasm being a plus in the living room. As a parent, I would certainly appreciate his no BS approach.

SidSmythe
11-24-2009, 08:32 PM
North Carolina and NC State should be decent college football teams ... would love to see Cowher turn one of those programs around.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-24-2009, 08:33 PM

1. SD
2. Dallas
3. Atlanta
4. Houston
5. Philly
6. Carolina.

Carolina is easily the best fit for him.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2009, 09:13 PM
North Carolina and NC State should be decent college football teams ... would love to see Cowher turn one of those programs around.

Cowher's alma mater N.C. State hired Tom O'Brien in 2007. Cowher was available (and living nearby).

feltdizz
11-24-2009, 09:20 PM

:Clap I liked Cowher but he did lose a ton of home AFCCG's...

rpmpit
11-25-2009, 09:33 AM

Thanks, dizz. Was just thinking that Buffalo was in 4 SBs and lost them all. And we were in a lot (can't get focused enough to remember right now) of AFCCGs with Cowher but only won two.

So what's worse?

I think losing the SBs is worse. As a Steeler fan, nothing bothers me as much as losing SBXXX. Effin' Neil

:twisted: :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil: :cry:

SteelCrazy
11-25-2009, 09:49 AM

Thanks, dizz. Was just thinking that Buffalo was in 4 SBs and lost them all. And we were in a lot (can't get focused enough to remember right now) of AFCCGs with Cowher but only won two.

So what's worse?

I think losing the SBs is worse. As a Steeler fan, nothing bothers me as much as losing SBXXX. Effin' Neil

:twisted: :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil: :cry:

Exactly...after that last pass to Larry effin Brown my heart sunk and has yet to completely resurface. Thanks for bringing it up............ :Blah :Blah :Blah

Lonbull
11-25-2009, 04:12 PM

I would think that his Super Bowl Ring and the fact that he has pro contacts would be very inticing for a lot of young recruits - that's another reason I believed that his college tenure could be very successful.

However - that being written, a lot of times when coaches take time off they don't come back with the same kind of fire they had before they left.

While I understand why many people may think that Carolina would be a good fit - to me they don't have a lot of young talent, so if they fire Fox, whomever comes onto that team will go through a difficult transition period. Especially with a prime New Orleans and a young up and coming Atlanta in the same division.

L.B.

RuthlessBurgher
11-25-2009, 04:19 PM

I would think that his Super Bowl Ring and the fact that he has pro contacts would be very inticing for a lot of young recruits - that's another reason I believed that his college tenure could be very successful.

However - that being written, a lot of times when coaches take time off they don't come back with the same kind of fire they had before they left.

While I understand why many people may think that Carolina would be a good fit - to me they don't have a lot of young talent, so if they http://www.actsofvolition.com/images/firefox_icon.png, whomever comes onto that team will go through a difficult transition period. Especially with a prime New Orleans and a young up and coming Atlanta in the same division.

L.B.

Fixed that for you. :wink:

fezziwig
11-25-2009, 04:32 PM

:Clap

buckeyehoppy
11-26-2009, 11:55 AM

L.B.

A lot of people feel that Cowher is just a pro coach. But I can see all day how he would work in college. I also believe that it's much easier to transition from pro to college than it is from college to pro. Plus, he is a much more "rah-rah" type that only works in spurts in the pros, but can work all the time in college.

I could even see him staying home and coaching at NC State (his alma mater). They are in a BCS conference and he could give them the type of program there that they have never had. Also, the ACC is ripe for the picking. Not a strong football conference, so if you can build a team into a perennial powerhouse you can boost the profile of the school and the league at the same time.

buckeyehoppy
11-26-2009, 12:00 PM

Cowher's alma mater N.C. State hired Tom O'Brien in 2007. Cowher was available (and living nearby).

And just off the sidelines after 15 years. With the demands of a big time football coach, college or pro, being what they are, he can't be blamed for wanting to decline at that point. The timing wasn't good.

buckeyehoppy
11-26-2009, 12:27 PM

1. SD
2. Dallas
3. Atlanta
4. Houston
5. Philly
6. Carolina.

Let's look at all of these situations individually.

1. SD- not real sure Norv is going anywhere just yet. I mean they aren't going anywhere with him. But, that doesn't mean that they are going to wave the white flag until the team bottoms out. Likelihood: low, if it even exists.

2. Dallas- Jerry God has a 90,000 seat stadium to fill and between having to deal with him and Wade Phillips (perhaps the most natural choice for that team since Tom Landry) not working out as planned, Cowher would have to think to himself "Do I need this $hit?" Likelihood: for the Cowqueens, fairly high; for The Chin, lower than SD.

3. Atlanta- Mike Smith is a good, young coach with a good, young team. I'm sure Cowher would love to get his hands all over this, if he wanted it. But Mike Smith isn't going anywhere. Likelihood: non-existent.

4. Houston- A team a lot like Atlanta, but still needs a part or two more to enter into that echelon. They also don't have a coach that is a sure fit. We'd have to see how the rest of the season goes. They are still in the playoff hunt and the last six games will determine if there is even a spot. Likelihood: middling to high.

5. Philly- An aging team that might be looking for a new start. Andy Reid can't be on solid ground here. If the right personnel moves are made, there may not need to be a rebuild here since the team is reasonably talented. Plus, Cowher played here and knows the dynamic. Likelihood: low to middling.

6. Carolina- out of all these teams, this one is in the surest need of a rebuild. If Cowher is coming back, does he want to get dirty right off the bat? The job will probably be open and it's relatively close to home. But something tells me that he won't want to work that hard after being out for three years.Likelihood: low.