PDA

View Full Version : OT - Here comes the Vince Young bandwagon...

Steel Life
11-24-2009, 01:24 AM
...being driven like crazy by Stuart Scott with the rest of ESPN's crew riding shotgun - all this on 116 yards passing. Now Scott has actually postulated that the Titans could get to the SB with VY at the helm & Millen is saying they could go undefeated...this with games against the Cards, Colts & Chargers. I know ESPN has to sell the games, but Stuart's man-crush is unnerving.

sd steel
11-24-2009, 01:58 AM
...being driven like crazy by Stuart Scott with the rest of ESPN's crew riding shotgun - all this on 116 yards passing. Now Scott has actually postulated that the Titans could get to the SB with VY at the helm & Millen is saying they could go undefeated...this with games against the Cards, Colts & Chargers. I know ESPN has to sell the games, but Stuart's man-crush is unnerving.

I don't particularly care for Young, but it looks like he has some confidence. He isn't Steve McNair yet, but that's what the media is pushing for. Glad to see he is doing better than he was when he talked of quitting football and commiting suicide.

Shoe
11-24-2009, 02:05 AM

These talking head types just blow with the breeze. A month ago, Kyle Orton was knocking on the door of greatness. Two months ago, Aaron Rodgers was the 2nd coming. Three months ago, Jay Cutler was a franchise QB.

Then when these guys fall on their faces, they come and cite all the reasons they blow...

These guys talk incessantly, and don't say anything.

As for VY, he is a mental midget. That's it. A physical marvel, but a mental midget. And at a position where you must be a mental GIANT (mental including emotional control IMO)... well, I'll leave it at that.

sd steel
11-24-2009, 02:17 AM

These talking head types just blow with the breeze. A month ago, Kyle Orton was knocking on the door of greatness. Two months ago, Aaron Rodgers was the 2nd coming. Three months ago, Jay Cutler was a franchise QB.

Then when these guys fall on their faces, they come and cite all the reasons they blow...

As for VY, he is a mental midget. That's it. A physical marvel, but a mental midget. And at a position where you must be a mental GIANT (mental including emotional control IMO)... well, I'll leave it at that.

Mental Giant?? It's football, not rocket science or brain surgery. Should you know your offense and know your reads? Yes, and you should have some thick skin, but mental giants? I'm not gonna go out and insult anyones favorite QB, but metal giants, most of them ain't.

Shoe
11-24-2009, 02:46 AM
[quote="Steel Life":ec5n0jh2]...being driven like crazy by Stuart Scott with the rest of ESPN's crew riding shotgun - all this on 116 yards passing. Now Scott has actually postulated that the Titans could get to the SB with VY at the helm & Millen is saying they could go undefeated...this with games against the Cards, Colts & Chargers. I know ESPN has to sell the games, but Stuart's man-crush is unnerving.

Mental Giant?? It's football, not rocket science or brain surgery. Should you know your offense and know your reads? Yes, and you should have some thick skin, but mental giants? I'm not gonna go out and insult anyones favorite QB, but metal giants, most of them ain't.[/quote:ec5n0jh2]

There is more to intelligence than being smart enough to go to med school, or don't you realize that. Being able to do complex mathematical computations or not doesn't make you or not make you an intelligent person.

Also you do realize that I mean it in the football context. Mental toughness, being able to learn from experience, the ability to concentrate (both on the field and OFF the field)... these are things that I consider to be part of mental makeup. But I'll qualify it for you a bit more: I do not think Peyton Manning can pass the bar. I would not go to Tom Brady, to operate on my brain. And if I needed help on my chemistry HW, I wouldn't ask Ben. Happy?

sd steel
11-24-2009, 02:56 AM
[quote="Steel Life":rjcaw58g]...being driven like crazy by Stuart Scott with the rest of ESPN's crew riding shotgun - all this on 116 yards passing. Now Scott has actually postulated that the Titans could get to the SB with VY at the helm & Millen is saying they could go undefeated...this with games against the Cards, Colts & Chargers. I know ESPN has to sell the games, but Stuart's man-crush is unnerving.

Mental Giant?? It's football, not rocket science or brain surgery. Should you know your offense and know your reads? Yes, and you should have some thick skin, but mental giants? I'm not gonna go out and insult anyones favorite QB, but metal giants, most of them ain't.

There is more to intelligence than being smart enough to go to med school, or don't you realize that. Being able to do complex mathematical computations or not doesn't make you or not make you an intelligent person.

Also you do realize that I mean it in the football context. Mental toughness, being able to learn from experience, the ability to concentrate (both on the field and OFF the field)... these are things that I consider to be part of mental makeup. But I'll qualify it for you a bit more: I do not think Peyton Manning can pass the bar. I would not go to Tom Brady, to operate on my brain. And if I needed help on my chemistry HW, I wouldn't ask Ben. Happy?[/quote:rjcaw58g]

Thank you for clearing that up. But you said "mental giant", now if you said someone who is mentally tough, I would have agreed. You need drive, and you need metal toughness, and a little intellegence thrown in won't hurt. But in the big scheme of things mental giant is probably not the term you were looking for.

flippy
11-24-2009, 08:13 AM
These are the same people that thought Jeff Fisher should be fired.

I like Vince Young. He just wins and he's fun to watch. Too bad he's got Nate Washington dropping passes for him. One of Nate's drops made me feel better about Sweed.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2009, 11:08 AM
[quote="Steel Life":3lbep3yl]...being driven like crazy by Stuart Scott with the rest of ESPN's crew riding shotgun - all this on 116 yards passing. Now Scott has actually postulated that the Titans could get to the SB with VY at the helm & Millen is saying they could go undefeated...this with games against the Cards, Colts & Chargers. I know ESPN has to sell the games, but Stuart's man-crush is unnerving.

Mental Giant?? It's football, not rocket science or brain surgery. Should you know your offense and know your reads? Yes, and you should have some thick skin, but mental giants? I'm not gonna go out and insult anyones favorite QB, but metal giants, most of them ain't.[/quote:3lbep3yl]

http://www.visuallee.com/weblog/images/iron_robot.jpg

:wink:

Tomlinator
11-24-2009, 11:55 AM
How about that high five from the ref last night?

Everyone's on the VY bandwagon!

Chadman
11-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Good to see he seems to have his life back on track. Even if you don't support his team, it's always 'nice' to see people achieve some kind of success in their chosen career, particularly when they are as talented as he is.

Don't know about you guys, but when Chadman sees a talent flame-out and not become all that he could, regardless of what NFL team that guy plays for, it's always a bit disappointing.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Good to see he seems to have his life back on track. Even if you don't support his team, it's always 'nice' to see people achieve some kind of success in their chosen career, particularly when they are as talented as he is.

Don't know about you guys, but when Chadman sees a talent flame-out and not become all that he could, regardless of what NFL team that guy plays for, it's always a bit disappointing.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/assets_c/2009/04/marinovich_mug-thumb-660x464-5676.jpg

http://www.biocrawler.com/w/images/5/53/Len_bias.jpg

http://sportstoast.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/strawberrygooden.jpg

http://www.eleminds.com/dinimg/Image/cherepanov.jpg

feltdizz
11-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Good for VY and I hope when they interview him he dogs them out like Ben does at times....

VY is not a HOF QB but he wins games.. and honestly I wish we won on Sunday with Ben throwing for 116 yards...

I don't even think it's fair to say VY lacked the mental toughness... if he did he wouldn't be in the game right now. I don't think it's realistic to see an athlete strong 100% of the time.

Remember Hines crying? Players fall, but the tough ones get back up.

feltdizz
11-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Bump! lol... 395 in the air and a 99 yard drive to win it as time expires. Not a VY fan but all the yippity yap about VY's wonderlic jokes were stupid... Just win.. Glad to see him bounce back from the haters and the naysayers. Also glad we beat the titans..