PDA

View Full Version : Batch has been great...

SteelCrazy
11-23-2009, 08:56 PM
...but it is time to look for another #2 or let Dixon fill that role. Batch is just to injury prone. Maybe it's old age or too many hits in Detroit, but he only played a few plays Sunday and he's gone for basically the season.

Jeff Garcia would be a good pick up for the rest of the season, but he's older than dirt. Can Dixon fill the role next season or do we get a younger, more experienced backup? Or do you think we stay with Batch and hope he doesnt get hurt again?

JTP53609
11-23-2009, 10:04 PM
i love charlie, he is always there with ben on the sideline, and he is great in the community, but yea, i think dixon should be our number 2.....i see batch as an offensive coordinator some day, he is just great with the young guys and seems to know alot.....i wish him the best

SteelCrazy
11-24-2009, 12:34 AM
i love charlie, he is always there with ben on the sideline, and he is great in the community, but yea, i think dixon should be our number 2.....i see batch as an offensive coordinator some day, he is just great with the young guys and seems to know alot.....i wish him the best

I'd like to see Dixon used in some sort of fashion, like the wildcat........Do you think he is ready to be the #2? I hope so.....

sd steel
11-24-2009, 01:54 AM

I'd like to see Dixon used in some sort of fashion, like the wildcat........Do you think he is ready to be the #2? I hope so.....

He comes out of a pro-style offense, he is an athlete, but the Steelers didn't draft him to run the option or the wildcat. He was drafted because he can throw the ball. He just happens to be able to run the ball as well, although he didn't do it alot at the college level.

JTP53609
11-24-2009, 09:12 AM
remember that coming out of college, had he not gotten hurt late in the season in arizona (i still remember watching that game) than he was actually in the top 3 for heisman talk, at the time of his season ending injury he was leading an undefeated ducks team, and they were #2 in the BCS rankings, than he got hurt was out for the season and their season was gone too. My point is, that he was highly thought of in college for his athletism and he could throw too, he is nice to have as an emergency qb, and he could be competing for a starting job on a few teams right now...
but we have #7

Oviedo
11-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Time for Batch the player to move on and become Batch the coach. Keep him in the organization as a QB coach or offensive quality control guy and let him transition and learn that side of the game. I also can see him becoming an offensive coordinator someday if he so chooses, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Congressman Batch in the future.

SteelStallion
11-24-2009, 12:04 PM
I agree with the sentiment of this thread. I would add that there are some other Steeler players who fit this category.

Sugar
11-24-2009, 06:35 PM
I think any Steeler fan wishes the best for Charlie even though most of us think his time has passed.

As much as I'd love to see what Dixon can do, I'd hate to see the circumstance in which the Steelers would use him even more. Despite his athletecism, he's not a gadget guy from what I know. That means that BB would have to go out and I'd rather not see that.

BATMAN
11-25-2009, 04:56 AM
batch is a great guy but obviously too fragile at this point. was he a glass house in detroit too ?
i wonder how many snaps of the ball he has had with the steelers over the years compared to the snaps of his bones during that time ?

frankthetank1
11-25-2009, 08:11 AM
batch is a great guy but obviously too fragile at this point. was he a glass house in detroit too ?
i wonder how many snaps of the ball he has had with the steelers over the years compared to the snaps of his bones during that time ?

no he wasnt a glass house. he has been lucky with injuries up untill the last few seasons. its pretty sad. i always liked batch a lot. he is a great guy and if anyone doesnt think that batch hasnt been a big part of ben's maturation process than they are dead wrong

Mister Pittsburgh
11-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Batch might have been a good backup to have as a resource for Ben on the sideline, and definatley a good guy in the community.....but he sucks as a backup QB. How can your backup get injured within one quarter at the most of stepping on the field two seasons in a row and be considered good? They should be taking him to the hospital to get him checked out for some sort of degenerative bone disease for cripes sake.

We should have been looking for a reliable backup this past offseason, and definatley after this season.

Dixon has no reason to take up even a practice squad spot if in his second year he is so worthless they would bring in Jeff Garcia if Ben was going to be out for more than one game.

papillon
11-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Batch might have been a good backup to have as a resource for Ben on the sideline, and definatley a good guy in the community.....but he sucks as a backup QB. How can your backup get injured within one quarter at the most of stepping on the field two seasons in a row and be considered good? They should be taking him to the hospital to get him checked out for some sort of degenerative bone disease for cripes sake.

We should have been looking for a reliable backup this past offseason, and definatley after this season.

Dixon has no reason to take up even a practice squad spot if in his second year he is so worthless they would bring in Jeff Garcia if Ben was going to be out for more than one game.

They didn't sign a seasoned veteran to play if Ben can't go, they signed Tyler Palko (hardly a seasoned veteran) who will be the emergency quarterback. Dennis Dixon would play if Ben were unable to go or was injured in the Ravens game.

Pappy

aggiebones
11-25-2009, 06:40 PM
If Ben is out long term, then with batch out, the season is over. Period. No veteran would be able to help at this point.
They'd just let Dixon get some PT to finish the last 5 games.

As for the future, I say get Dixon ready as the no.2 next season. Maybe keep Batch as 3rd QB, but only to groom him for QB coach the following season and to make sure Dixon doesn't fail badly.

Or just dump Anderson as QB coach now and let Batch have it. I'm sure he's been preparing to coach since he's been here. Then just keep Ben and Dixon. If Ben gets hurt, just move Batch back to the squad to back up Dixon. Batch can do just as much preparing for gameday as a coach as he does as a backup in the NFL. They get very little reps. Heck keep him as 3rd QB through the preseason and then 'cut him' to QB coach. That would have to be up front however.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-25-2009, 09:57 PM

They didn't sign a seasoned veteran to play if Ben can't go, they signed Tyler Palko (hardly a seasoned veteran) who will be the emergency quarterback. Dennis Dixon would play if Ben were unable to go or was injured in the Ravens game.

Pappy

OK? Just saying if they would go with a vet over dixon if Ben had actually been injured past one game, then Dixon shouldn't be with the team.

BATMAN
11-26-2009, 02:20 AM
I wonder what the percentage would be with Batches small amount of Steeler playing time compared to his injuries and time lost ?

I like Batch but, it is time for him to move on if he can't make one or two showings without getting knocked out for the season almost each time.

mshifko
11-26-2009, 12:47 PM
i mean i wouldn't chalk up a wrist fracture as to someone being injury prone, it comes with the territory...but i do think that it's time to see if dixon can be our #2 guy i think he will...i don't think charlie has another year in him honestly..