PDA

View Full Version : Time for Ben to get serious...

Steel Life
11-23-2009, 08:22 PM
...about his headgear. I remember after his accident that it was reported that he tried different helmets but chose to continue with the older style he was more comfortable with. Now having played, I know that one's gear is as individual as the player himself, but at some point the team needs to step in & say "you're a $100 million dollar investment - put something better on". There really no excuse not to change, player safety is at an all time high, sensitivity to concussions is rampant & the Univ. of Pittsburgh is one of the leaders in research. He's the franchise - a better helmet, a better chin-strap & a better mouth-piece - which are all available, should be mandatory at this stage of his career. Dan Marino changed, Peyton Manning changed - even Ben's idol John Elway changed - it's time Ben does too or he might become the next Aikman or Young.

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Time for a Steve Wallace or Mark Kelso model?

http://www.helmethut.com/DrDelrye/Dr102808a.jpg http://www.blogcdn.com/backporch.fanhouse.com/media/2009/09/1mkelso090209.jpg

sd steel
11-24-2009, 02:48 AM
...about his headgear. I remember after his accident that it was reported that he tried different helmets but chose to continue with the older style he was more comfortable with. Now having played, I know that one's gear is as individual as the player himself, but at some point the team needs to step in & say "you're a $100 million dollar investment - put something better on". There really no excuse not to change, player safety is at an all time high, sensitivity to concussions is rampant & the Univ. of Pittsburgh is one of the leaders in research. He's the franchise - a better helmet, a better chin-strap & a better mouth-piece - which are all available, should be mandatory at this stage of his career. Dan Marino changed, Peyton Manning changed - even Ben's idol John Elway changed - it's time Ben does too or he might become the next Aikman or Young.

First of all the helmets aren't that different or more advanced. They do have the helmets that protect more of the jaw line, but Ben wasn't hit in the jaw. If you play football at a high level chances are you will get a concussion. The reason is that it doesn't have as much to do with your head banging around in the helmet as it does your brain banging around in your skull. My last football concussion came from a fist that got under my facemask and opened a 3 inch gash on my chin. I was never knocked cold, but I forgot where I lived for a couple of hours. There was nothing a helmet could have done unless I was wearing a suit of armor.

Steel Life
11-29-2009, 02:04 AM
**Bump**

BradshawsHairdresser
11-29-2009, 11:28 AM
No matter what helmet he wore, Ben would have been knocked out of that game.

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Did you guys hear Merril Hoge talking this morning about how he actually died (well, he flatlined and needed to be revived) after his last concussion? After that, he could not find his way home by himself and had to learn to read again.