PDA

View Full Version : What are people's thoughts on Willie Gay??

SidSmythe
11-23-2009, 08:08 PM
As most people, I was impressed w/ Willie Gay ... but now that he's a full time starter I'm starting to worry about him a little.

He's been in great position the past 2 weeks but didn't come up w/ the INT. but he's also been out of position a lot this season. Right now I'm 50/50 on him

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2009, 08:13 PM
http://precioustimeny.com/starter.jpg

http://davespeaks.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/thumbs-down.jpg

http://axm1992.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/nickelback_xec2.jpg

http://goingconcern.com/two%20thumbs%20up.jpeg

Uncle Rico
11-23-2009, 08:19 PM

This might just be the most creative post ever. :Agree

feelthesteel
11-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Besides Clark n Troy

blah

SteelCrazy
11-23-2009, 08:31 PM
I think he does a decent job for what he has to do, like playing 10 yards off to not give up the big play. He is not as good as Ike, but good enough to start and cover the 2nd best WR. Yes, he has goofed a time or two, but not enough to think he won't improve. Every bit as good as McFadden

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2009, 08:36 PM
This might just be the most creative post ever. :Agree

Coming from a guy with a Hitler smiley...umm...Thanks?...I think... :wink:

Shoe
11-23-2009, 08:51 PM
I will reserve judgement on Gay... I think he is ideally suited to the Cover-2 (as Tomlin plays it), and when we go that route, he'll emerge. He is a rook (essentially), so I'm willing to give him a year before I start judging his NFL ability. I still hold out hope that he emerges as a (young) Deshea, or Ronde Barber.

I don't consider him as good as McFadden in the current scheme. But it's not that big a deal. I'm with Gay (don't get the wrong idea).

Oracle
11-23-2009, 09:16 PM
It's a very fair question. Here are my thoughts...

When healthy, our defense is as dominate a force as any in the NFL. Others teams have learned there are certain plays you just don't call against the Steelers. (ex. I-formation power runs up the middle, half-back sweeps, deep passes that allow clark to tee-off, etc.)

When they game plan against us they look very closely at how to exploit the few weaknesses we might have. Right now that weakness is named William Gay. I remember a few years ago when that weakness was named Ike Taylor (but not anymore). My point is, you can't expect Gay to be a dominate mistake-free player in his first year. As painful as it may be, you must be patient with him as he goes through his growing pains. He's making a big jump from small-ish school techniques to Dick LeBeau's defense. It takes more than one year to learn that. It's a big jump from college size receivers to the strength, quickness, and route running of the NFL starting receivers. It takes more than one year to increase your physical strength and speed to match them. Perhaps most of all is the 'tricks of the trade' if you will, or the experience of getting fooled. Teams are picking on him now, but for this stage i think he's okay. I think he's at least as quick as McFadden. I've seen Gay be right there in position to make 3-4 interceptions, just a hair off. I think that will improve and eventually he will be a solid #3 CB maybe #2. He will never be a Darrel Revis though (which i'm still pissed about). I believe the Steelers know that and that's why they drafted Lewis and Burnett. You have to look at his potential as being a Townsend, and in that regard he's doing ok. I think a lot of people expect him to be a shut-down CB and he will never be that. I have seen him get beat a lot the past 4-5 games but that is usually when LeBeau leaves him alone on an island. If he had more safety help and could just focus on jumping short routes i think he'd look a lot better.

Shoe
11-23-2009, 09:24 PM
[quote="Oracle"]He will never be a Darrel Revis though (which i'm still pissed about)./quote]

:cry: When I watch the Jets play, man... Timmons may become a star, but Revis already has shown that he is a Superstar.

Imagine our Defense with Revis (locking up one side), Troy erasing everything back there. Ike on the other Corner. At LB, we may have kept Foote. If not, Keyaron is there... :HeadBanger

Forget it... I'm depressing myself.

JTP53609
11-23-2009, 09:58 PM
you know that sprint commercial where the voice says hey hey hey goodbye....thats what i want the steelers to do to gay...

phillyesq
11-23-2009, 10:23 PM
This is Gay's third year, and he played extensively last year. He is still young, but he isn't as inexperienced as some of the posts here would lead you to believe. I think developing into Deshea is his upside, but I'm not quite sure he'll make it to that level.

Right now, Gay is the weak link on defense. If you were to game plan against the Steelers, I think he is absolutely the guy you look to attack. Last year, as a nickel back and part-time starter, he was fine. But now that he is starting on a weekly basis, he is being exploited more.

I hope that Lewis or Burnett develops enough through the course of this year and the offseason to push Gay for playing time next year. Even if they do, the Steelers may still need to look at upgrading corner, with Deshea getting old and Ratliff being Ratliff.

Ghost
11-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Good QB's look at film of the Steelers and think - "there's the weakness. I'm going to exploit that all day". Bad QB's look at film of the Steelers and think - "finally, a way out of my slump".

He's not good.

Oviedo
11-24-2009, 09:07 AM
This is Gay's third year, and he played extensively last year. He is still young, but he isn't as inexperienced as some of the posts here would lead you to believe. I think developing into Deshea is his upside, but I'm not quite sure he'll make it to that level.

Right now, Gay is the weak link on defense. If you were to game plan against the Steelers, I think he is absolutely the guy you look to attack. Last year, as a nickel back and part-time starter, he was fine. But now that he is starting on a weekly basis, he is being exploited more.

I hope that Lewis or Burnett develops enough through the course of this year and the offseason to push Gay for playing time next year. Even if they do, the Steelers may still need to look at upgrading corner, with Deshea getting old and Ratliff being Ratliff.

I think that Lewis was drafted to be the primary back up at both CB positions and push Gay. Unfortunately Lewis has either been dinged or is having some issues learning the defense. Burnett IMO was drafted to be a nickleback and to provide depth and spot starts. As you know I am a huge Burnett fan and I think he breaks on the ball better than any DB we have but he does have match up issues against big WRs which is why the nickle is his best position. I also still think we will see him returning kick and punts before it is all said and done.

rpmpit
11-24-2009, 09:07 AM

Nice! But I would have gone with a Nickelback pic without their name in it. You gotta let these morons think a bit :lol:

MeetJoeGreene
11-24-2009, 09:23 AM
I really hate to Gay bash but...

I am not that impressed with him.

He has dropped some balls this year to that could have ended drives.. He doesn't have Ike's cover skills, so Gay better hold onto the balls when he gets a opportunity. :wft

I hope one of our two third rounders can turn into a solid starter.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2009, 10:18 AM
I really hate to Gay bash but...

I am not that impressed with him.

He has dropped some balls this year to that could have ended drives.. He doesn't have Ike's cover skills, so Gay better hold onto the balls when he gets a opportunity. :wft

I hope one of our two third rounders can turn into a solid starter.

We had 3 third rounders in this past draft, actually. But they were a guard (inactive so far), a wide receiver (rookie of the year candidate), and a cornerback (mostly just special teams when active). The second corner wasn't taken until the fifth round.

ikestops85
11-24-2009, 06:04 PM
I think Gay has been playing better ball lately than he was earlier in the year. I was hoping that he would be more of a playmaker but I'm know I'm being impatient. I think he will start to hang on to some of the interceptions.

It's tough to play in LeBeau's system for a corner. It's obvious that it is drilled into them not to get beat deep so they are always backpedaling. It is very rare to see one of our corners jump a route. We get the majority of our picks from bad passes ... not great corner play. Our corners are taught they are playing great if they keep the play in front of them and make tackles. Even if we had selected Revis it wouldn't make much of a difference. Would he have helped ... yes. Would he be a star ... NOPE.

steelz09
11-24-2009, 06:49 PM
I said it once (actually more than once) and I'll say it again....

we should have resigned McFadden. You need big time depth at the CB position in this pass happy league and losing McFadden really hurt this secondary. Our top 5 CB's were better than most on average last year. This year, with the loss of McFadden, we aren't close to that talent level especially with Townsend being another year older. It didn't help that our rookie CB's aren't ready to step up.

1) Ike
2) McFadden
3) Gay
4) Townsend

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2009, 07:57 PM
I said it once (actually more than once) and I'll say it again....

we should have resigned McFadden. You need big time depth at the CB position in this pass happy league and losing McFadden really hurt this secondary. Our top 5 CB's were better than most on average last year. This year, with the loss of McFadden, we aren't close to that talent level especially with Townsend being another year older. It didn't help that our rookie CB's aren't ready to step up.

1) Ike
2) McFadden
3) Gay
4) Townsend

For what its worth, McFadden doesn't have any INT's this year either. And the Cardinals have the 27th ranked pass defense in the league (21st overall defense) while starting Dominique Rodger-Cromartie, Adrian Wilson, Antrel Rolle, and Bryant McFadden in their secondary. Just like Gay is the weakest link in a secondary with Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, and Ryan Clark, McFadden is the weak link in a much weaker defense than ours.

SidSmythe
11-24-2009, 08:29 PM
HaHa, MeetJoe ... Gay Bashing! haha!!

I really don't think Gay is much of a drop off from McFadden.
Gay is a pretty good tackler and he hasn't given up the deep ball, but at the same time he's out of position a lot and doesn't come up w/ the big play when it falls in his lap. Maybe experience will help.

I really like Joe Burnett ... not sure if he'll ever develop into a starter, but as a possible return man and nickleback, he might be very good.

Lewis is still raw and time will tell w/ him.

steelz09
11-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Welp...

It's just my opinion.

Our secondary isn't better without him on the team, its easily worse.

I think Cromartie is waaayyy overrated, he's been torched several times this year.

As far as INTs, if that is an indication of good CB's then Ike Taylor is one of the worst CBs in the league and probably one of the worst in Steelers "#1 CB" History.

I've seen Gay in a starting role and I've seen McFadden ... based on what I've seen thus far, I would take McFadden. I'm not sure what the stats are and to be honest, I don't really care. I am basing my thoughts on watching them play.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Welp...

It's just my opinion.

I think Cromartie is waaayyy overrated, he's been torched several times this year.

As far as INTs, if that is an indication of good CB's then Ike Taylor is one of the worst CBs in the league and probably one of the worst in Steelers "#1 CB" History.

I've seen Gay in a starting role and I've seen McFadden ... based on what I've seen thus far, I would take McFadden. I'm not sure what the stats are and to be honest, I don't really care. I am basing my thoughts on watching them play.

I don't disagree with you...I think McFadden and Gay are roughly comparable players, and perhaps McFadden has a slight advantage (his 2 extra inches of height don't hurt). But the difference here is that McFadden's contract was up and we would have to start paying him a starter's salary while Gay was still on the hook for a 5th round pick's salary from his rookie deal. With other much more important players to sign this offseason such as James Harrison, Heath Miller, Hines Ward, Max Starks, Brett Keisel, Chris Kemoeatu, and Justin Hartwig, we couldn't afford to sign McFadden as well, particularly when we could get similar production from another player at a much more reasonable rate. Our front office does a great job retaining its young stars. McFadden was young and reasonably solid, but was not a young star.

steelz09
11-24-2009, 09:32 PM
All very good points.

Maybe we should alter the conversation to the fact that two of our rookie CB's that everyone had high expectations for haven't really seen the field. And the CB position is suppose to be one of the easiest transitions from the college to the pro ranks.

Burnett and Lewis..

feltdizz
11-24-2009, 09:34 PM
I vouched for Gay... and he has screwed me thus far.... :moon

Sorry but I couldn't resist... :wft

I agree though.... while he has been bad he hasn't been horrible in his first year as a starter..
I hope he gets it together soon though.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2009, 09:37 PM
I thought that Lewis and Burnett were investments for the future, since this was expected to be Deshea's last year with the team. I didn't expect either of them to get in the game ahead of Taylor, Gay, or Townsend, and with the addition of Ratliff, that pushed the rooks even further down the ladder. Now with Ratliff sent packing, the rooks are only one CB injury away from taking over the important nickel slot.

Oviedo
11-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Welp...

It's just my opinion.

I don't disagree with you...I think McFadden and Gay are roughly comparable players, and perhaps McFadden has a slight advantage (his 2 extra inches of height don't hurt). But the difference here is that McFadden's contract was up and we would have to start paying him a starter's salary while Gay was still on the hook for a 5th round pick's salary from his rookie deal. With other much more important players to sign this offseason such as James Harrison, Heath Miller, Hines Ward, Max Starks, Brett Keisel, Chris Kemoeatu, and Justin Hartwig, we couldn't afford to sign McFadden as well, particularly when we could get similar production from another player at a much more reasonable rate. Our front office does a great job retaining its young stars. McFadden was young and reasonably solid, but was not a young star.

I actuaqlly think the Steelers offered McFadden a longer deal than the Cardinals but his agent was playing a game since no one was offering McFadden the big money he wanted. He went for the shorter deal with AZ hoping to get back into the market sooner. The Steelers weren't going to play that game after they offered a really fair offer.

BATMAN
11-25-2009, 04:54 AM
he makes me miss mcfadden.

also be nice if anyone of those guys in the secondary could actually intercept a ball. other than troy

frankthetank1
11-25-2009, 08:09 AM
i dont really miss mcfadden because what i have seen of him this season has not been good. gay has kind of laid an egg this season but he is only in his 3rd season or so. he has played better of late than earlier in the season but i had hoped for a repeat of last season. i think it would be stupid if the steelers didnt try to bring him back for reasonable money

NorthCoast
11-25-2009, 08:25 AM
I think we have learned Gay is not 'shut down' but considering this is his first year starting I think he has done well enough. We also have to keep in mind that LeBeau may be asking Gay to play in a certain way (sorry for the alliteration) and the staff may be still trying to figure his strong points. Sure, he has made some mistakes but he has also had some very nice solo tackles that have saved big yds.
He at least deserves as much time as people want to give Sweed.

fezziwig
11-25-2009, 09:26 AM
First off, I'm not willing to give Sweed anymore time after next preseason. If Sweed drops two passes during preseason when no one is around him, defending him he, should get axed.

Gay at times shows he's good and other times I think he just makes mental mistakes.

Gee, look how long we have been waiting on Timmons to earn his spot.

RuthlessBurgher
11-25-2009, 11:00 AM
I think we have learned Gay is not 'shut down' but considering this is his first year starting I think he has done well enough. We also have to keep in mind that LeBeau may be asking Gay to play in a certain way (sorry for the alliteration) and the staff may be still trying to figure his strong points. Sure, he has made some mistakes but he has also had some very nice solo tackles that have saved big yds.
He at least deserves as much time as people want to give Sweed.

You just knew that one of us was going to pull out this beauty, didn't you?

Shooter McGavin: Just stay out of my way... or you'll pay! LISTEN to what I say!

Happy Gilmore: Hey, why don't I just go eat some hay, make things out of clay, lay by the bay? I just may! What'd ya say?

:P

And for what it is worth, alliteration is not rhyming. Alliteration is using the same sound at the beginning of words. Dr. Seuss used this a lot with things like "Four fluffy feathers on a Fiffer-feffer-feff."

Oracle
11-25-2009, 03:30 PM
And for what it is worth, alliteration is not rhyming. Alliteration is using the same sound at the beginning of words. Dr. Seuss used this a lot with things like "Four fluffy feathers on a Fiffer-feffer-feff."[/quote]

--------------

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

RuthlessBurgher
11-25-2009, 04:15 PM
And for what it is worth, alliteration is not rhyming. Alliteration is using the same sound at the beginning of words. Dr. Seuss used this a lot with things like "Four fluffy feathers on a Fiffer-feffer-feff."

--------------

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa![/quote]

Even though I teach advanced educational psychology to Master's degree candidates now, every so often the old 7th and 8th grade teacher that I used to be sneaks out.

I try to suppress that old schoolteacher in there by making an effort to avoid correcting people on a message board on things like spelling or grammar (so I don't look like a big bag o' douche), but sometimes I can't help it when there is a particularly humorous unintentional spelling (like when someone accidentally wrote "metal giant" instead of "mental giant" earlier this week). In this case, any time you can incorporate Dr. Seuss into a post that is educational, you gotta do it. No offense, NC.

True Fan
11-25-2009, 05:39 PM
gay?.......he blows

BURGH86STEEL
11-25-2009, 06:09 PM
When people say Gay or any other player is not good, people may have unrealistic expectations out of players. Gay gets beat a few times and people say he is a bad player. We don't get to see all the other times he has great coverage. I don't think Gay will be a great CB. I don't think there are many great CB's in the league today. Gay is a solid player that can contribute. Teams need players like that to have success. Especially since the salary cap and free agency will not allow teams to be strong at every position.

It is so easy to be critical of CB play. Wr's have almost every advantage over DB's. There are probably more good/great WR's in the league then there are good/great CB's.

RuthlessBurgher
11-27-2009, 12:43 PM
gay?.......he blows

We've gone from suck to blow!

http://wcvw.org/fark/spaceballs-suck2blow.jpg

:lol: