PDA

View Full Version : How about that pass happy offense?

feltdizz
11-23-2009, 03:43 PM
This is why some say a running game trumps all... We can pass for a ton of yards..yippie...
but the INT's are the reason pass happy teams tend to struggle for wins. You can pass all day long but eventually you need to run some clock and control the game..

Other teams love that we have become pass happy.. Ben has a style that will give up 4 sacks a game and our OL will eventually crumble..

when we run we get at least 3 yards a pop now with Mend and the OL gains more confidence when we run..

with a struggling FWP and OL I understood the pass happy mentality but we have a guy who got 8 yards on 1st down in OT and we put the ball back in Batch's hands?

skyhawk
11-23-2009, 04:29 PM
It's not a pass happy offense that is the trouble. That's actually a good thing we can do that. The trouble is giving up too many points and giving the ball away (Kickoff return, and Ben's pick that was returned for 94 yards). This team must learn to score points and not give out so many gifts (including INT drops by Clark and Taylor). The 3rd and 2 play call was ALSO another gift.

Also, the defense CANNOT get off the field when it needs to. They give up too much in the 4 quarter. Maybe they are just too tired and out of condition.

I really think they are LUCKY to be 6-4 thus far. Giving away points and turning the ball over like they have it's a wonder they have won 6 games. That Denver team is a poor one, and against Minnesota we need TWO gifts from Favre to pull it out.

grotonsteel
11-23-2009, 06:33 PM
It's not a pass happy offense that is the trouble. That's actually a good thing we can do that. The trouble is giving up too many points and giving the ball away (Kickoff return, and Ben's pick that was returned for 94 yards). This team must learn to score points and not give out so many gifts (including INT drops by Clark and Taylor). The 3rd and 2 play call was ALSO another gift.

Also, the defense CANNOT get off the field when it needs to. They give up too much in the 4 quarter. Maybe they are just too tired and out of condition.

I really think they are LUCKY to be 6-4 thus far. Giving away points and turning the ball over like they have it's a wonder they have won 6 games. That Denver team is a poor one, and against Minnesota we need TWO gifts from Favre to pull it out.

:Agree

Steelers D has struggled in the 4th Q. They gave plays of 30,47 and 61 yards against KC. I don't think KC has Jerry Rice and Randy Moss as WR or Dan Marino as a QB.

Last year Steelers D hammered Cassell who had a great O-line and WR corpsin NE. Same QB now looks like Dan marino???

Shoe
11-23-2009, 06:42 PM
I agree that those 4th Quarter defensive letdowns (sans Polamalu) are very troublesome. And I'm not gonna rail against the pass-happy nature of our offense, given this weekend's developments.

But I will say that it is now on the coaching staff to get us where we should (given our talent) go. They wanted a pass-first offense, so let's see them get us through (this season) to the playoffs. And they are the ones who put together this Special teams unit--they need to find a way to make it succeed... cuz it's quite apparent that this unit LACKS SOMETHING.

feltdizz
11-23-2009, 07:06 PM
So we won't rail on the pass happy offense? Hmm...

We have one really convincing win this season and Mendenhall had 150+ yards on the ground... This was also the game where Ben was sacked and had a fumble return for a TD too...

We have more then a few games with great passing numbers where we still had to fight out wins or lose and say wow... we outgained them by 150 yards and still lost.

Maybe I'm reaching but I think we prosper when we stick with the run with a guy like Mend. We benched him for who knows what after a good game early in the year and after he popped of a 40 yard gain in Chicago we never went back to him.

It's time to control the clock, neat teams up with the run and play action for big plays...

skyhawk
11-23-2009, 07:15 PM

We have one really convincing win this season and Mendenhall had 150+ yards on the ground... This was also the game where Ben was sacked and had a fumble return for a TD too...

We have more then a few games with great passing numbers where we still had to fight out wins or lose and say wow... we outgained them by 150 yards and still lost.

Maybe I'm reaching but I think we prosper when we stick with the run with a guy like Mend. We benched him for who knows what after a good game early in the year and after he popped of a 40 yard gain in Chicago we never went back to him.

It's time to control the clock, neat teams up with the run and play action for big plays...

I agree. But the Steelers had the ball in the KC game for frickin 44 minutes!!

They just need to score and quit turning the ball over and giving up easy scores, runbacks, picks, etc.

Shoe
11-23-2009, 07:17 PM

No no felt, I definitely see what you are saying.
I'm just saying that I won't pile on now, just because certain things occured this weekend (namely, the improbability of our top 2 QB's getting hurt). I wasn't railing against it before this weekend, so I won't all a sudden talk $hit now.

I'm like you; I always prefer a balanced offense. But TPTB (i.e. coaching staff) don't seem to share that sentiment. So I'll grant them that. And I'll sit and watch and see if they can right this ship.

feltdizz
11-23-2009, 07:25 PM
If we had the ball for 44 minutes then our D has problems...Can't say they were tired.

They tend to play hot then run the prevent...

Northern_Blitz
11-23-2009, 07:27 PM
We lost a similar game when Cowher was coach and we had a dominant running game (against Texas I think).

This is not unique to passing offence. If you turn the ball over and give up TDs on ST, you won't win. I'm suprized we've won as many games as we have when we give up so many points when our D isn't on the field.

NorthCoast
11-23-2009, 10:23 PM
It's a good question and I was thinking maybe the 'turtle' should have been used more yesterday. If Ben continues to throw picks, I would say we should start rebalancing the O to a 60/40 blend of run/pass rather than the other way around.

We have not been good in the red zone the last few games and that has been our Achilles heel. Reminds me of bad teams that can go up and down the field but can't score when they should.

JAR
11-23-2009, 10:28 PM
It's a good question and I was thinking maybe the 'turtle' should have been used more yesterday. If Ben continues to throw picks, I would say we should start rebalancing the O to a 60/40 blend of run/pass rather than the other way around.

We have not been good in the red zone the last few games and that has been our Achilles heel. Reminds me of bad teams that can go up and down the field but can't score when they should.

Ben really isn't throwing that many picks compared with the other passing leaders in the NFL. Ben has 10, Peyton has 9, so does Shaub. A lot of Ben's picks come off of deflections.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Problems:
1. ST's.
2. Defensive fourth-quarter collapses.
3. Offense's inability to score in the red zone.
4. Unfavorable turnover ratio.
5. Dumb play-calling.
6. Lack of focus and attention to detail.

Some of these things are interrelated.

I agree that we're lucky to be 6-4. I also believe that we have the talent, if we can get improvement in those areas, to turn things around. I think we can beat anyone in this league if we play like we could.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-24-2009, 08:30 PM
This is why some say a running game trumps all... We can pass for a ton of yards..yippie...
but the INT's are the reason pass happy teams tend to struggle for wins. You can pass all day long but eventually you need to run some clock and control the game..

Other teams love that we have become pass happy.. Ben has a style that will give up 4 sacks a game and our OL will eventually crumble..

when we run we get at least 3 yards a pop now with Mend and the OL gains more confidence when we run..

with a struggling FWP and OL I understood the pass happy mentality but we have a guy who got 8 yards on 1st down in OT and we put the ball back in Batch's hands?

RB can cough up the pill just like WR can tip it and QB's can throw pics.

feltdizz
11-24-2009, 08:30 PM
we now have a guy who can get tough yards, make people miss and makes great cuts while running north and south. Oh.. and he can catch passes too as we FINALLY saw yesterday...

if we need Ben to throw 45 times that's fine.. but realistically we don't need him to throw as much as he has been. The risk with 40 attempts are more chances for sacks, injury and INT's. I'm not against throwing the ball but it's not like Tommy when we had too because we didn't have another option.

feltdizz
11-24-2009, 08:37 PM

RB can cough up the pill just like WR can tip it and QB's can throw pics.

Peyton and Ben have like.. 9 or 10 INT's a piece..

I doubt any RB has 9 or 10 fumble losses.. and if so they should be benched.

It's much easier to get INT's then to get fumbles by a RB.. IMO.

skyhawk
11-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Problems:
1. ST's.
2. Defensive fourth-quarter collapses.
3. Offense's inability to score in the red zone.
4. Unfavorable turnover ratio.
5. Dumb play-calling.
6. Lack of focus and attention to detail.

Some of these things are interrelated.

I agree that we're lucky to be 6-4. I also believe that we have the talent, if we can get improvement in those areas, to turn things around. I think we can beat anyone in this league if we play like we could.

That's it in a nutshell.

I also believe the lack of domination and control at the line of scrimmage is still hurting this team. Under Cowher and up 11 points or more he was 140-1-1. Most of this is due to tough defense AND a dominant OL that controls things up front.

This current OL group controls nothing. If we had a more physical OL they would be able to score more in the red zone and run more effectively to wear out the other DL.

Edit: Also, a lack of confidence in this OL makes them terrible on 3rd and 1 and may have led to the infamous crappy play call to Moore on 3rd and 2 to Moore against KC.