PDA

View Full Version : The Chambers play to set up the win....

steelerkeylargo
11-23-2009, 01:36 PM
did anyone notice how the D wasn't set. Taylor and Townsend were looking at the sideline and were not ready for the snap. Unprepared vteran DB's. Unreal!!!! :wft

Mister Pittsburgh
11-23-2009, 02:09 PM
did anyone notice how the D wasn't set. Taylor and Townsend were looking at the sideline and were not ready for the snap. Unprepared vteran DB's. Unreal!!!! :wft
I did notice their WR tackling Deshea from behind and it wasn't called.

Iron Shiek
11-23-2009, 02:51 PM
I was going to post about this play...thanks for reminding me.

They showed an angle from behind the qb on sportscenter and my god our D was totally unprepared for that play and just completely out of position. We had 3 guys holding hands in the middle of the field BEHIND Chambers as he was running across the field, and unfortunately Timmons tried to make a play on the ball but was just not in position to either. What was up with that defense?

feltdizz
11-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Maybe we were doing the dreaded stand up confusion D that Palmer kept quick snapping on.

That D formation sucks and hardly ever works. Sometimes the cute stuff ends up being too cute for football.

brothervad
11-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Actually this is something I noticed Favre do in the Viking game as well. I wonder if this is an adjustment teams are making for Pittsburgh trying to disguise it's defenses right up until the snap.

I wasn't sure of it, but it seems to be a trend others are seeing.

brothervad

Mel Blount's G
11-23-2009, 04:42 PM
I thought Farrior was supposed to have that zone across the middle and short but obviously the rest of our lb's and db's were to converge for the tackle. Looked like some good blocking downfield ny their wr's. Like the last game, seemed our opponents wanted it more.

I was pretty happy that chambers seemed to wimp out and not even really attempt to stick it into the EZ for a TD that would have ended it right then and there. He left room for a muffed or blocked FG, fumbled snap, etc..

Shoe
11-23-2009, 07:02 PM
I watched the game, but I frankly didn't realize this (forgive me if I'm wrong... I read that this was the case):

Was that play where they went up top on Ike, and Ike had the ball, and dropped it... AGAIN...
...Was that the previous play to the Chambers catch & run? If so, I don't know why F-n stonehands isn't getting more criticism here either. (Again, I don't remember when this play took place myself.) Granted it wasn't a gimme, and for a Roberto Duran disciple like Ike, I suppose it's damn near impossible.

But when the ball hits you in BOTH your hands, you f-n need to come down with it. I hope he NEVER makes the Pro Bowl, as he's been wishing. He doesn't deserve it.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Concerning the Chambers play, several of the Steelers have said they were waiting for LeBeau to send in the defensive play. For some reason, he either didn't, or they couldn't get it.

JAR
11-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Concerning the Chambers play, several of the Steelers have said they were waiting for LeBeau to send in the defensive play. For some reason, he either didn't, or they couldn't get it.

Tomlin just said in his PC that LeBeau did send in the play.

NJ-STEELER
11-24-2009, 02:10 PM
deshea didn't get tackled on that play.

he ran into pope and fell down

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2009, 02:16 PM
deshea didn't get tackled on that play.

he ran into pope and fell down

Aren't you supposed to bow down on your knees when you see the Pope? :wink:

pick6
11-24-2009, 03:03 PM
pure steelers thread. knowledge, insight, depth of understanding of the game. i doubt if you can find this on other team boards. steeler fans know football. by the way, townsend was clipped and ike could have made up for past dropped ints with that would be spectacular int he almost brought down. wow we could have be one game out with the cincy loss.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2009, 04:11 PM
pure steelers thread. knowledge, insight, depth of understanding of the game.

With the exception of my wisecracking ways, essentially negating all of that knowledge, insight, and depth of understanding. :P

Iron Shiek
11-24-2009, 06:49 PM
I watched the game, but I frankly didn't realize this (forgive me if I'm wrong... I read that this was the case):

Was that play where they went up top on Ike, and Ike had the ball, and dropped it... AGAIN...
...Was that the previous play to the Chambers catch & run? If so, I don't know why F-n stonehands isn't getting more criticism here either. (Again, I don't remember when this play took place myself.) Granted it wasn't a gimme, and for a Roberto Duran disciple like Ike, I suppose it's damn near impossible.

But when the ball hits you in BOTH your hands, you f-n need to come down with it. I hope he NEVER makes the Pro Bowl, as he's been wishing. He doesn't deserve it.

Shoe, it was the very next play. As for Ike dropping it...that was not your typical stonehands drop...this was a pretty tough catch to make, which he actually did make, but he had to jump pretty high with Chambers tuggin at him. The impact of him and the ground jarred the ball loose. So to me, Ike really shouldn't get too much flack.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-24-2009, 06:56 PM

Well, if he sent it in, they didn't get it. You could see several of them looking to the sideline for a play call. I know Carter, for one, said they didn't get the play.

eniparadoxgma
11-24-2009, 07:07 PM

Shoe, it was the very next play. As for Ike dropping it...that was not your typical stonehands drop...this was a pretty tough catch to make, which he actually did make, but he had to jump pretty high with Chambers tuggin at him. The impact of him and the ground jarred the ball loose. So to me, Ike really shouldn't get too much flack.

At this point, I don't see the point of getting upset with Ike for not getting INTs at all. He has hands of stone and 99 out of 100 times will not come down with it. It could hit him in the hands, the chest, the face, etc. He just can't catch.

Point is, this is who he is. We have to come to terms with the fact that he's pretty good at shutting down the opposing team's best WR but that he can't catch. I already did. That's why I no longer even get upset when he drops a sure INT. There's no point in it.

Obviously I wish we had a corner that could cover and actually catch a ball when it's in his frickin hands but as long as Ike is our guy this is just going to be the norm.

Shoe
11-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Point is, this is who he is. We have to come to terms with the fact that he's pretty good at shutting down the opposing team's best WR but that he can't catch. I already did. That's why I no longer even get upset when he drops a sure INT. There's no point in it.

Great perspective... and you are a better man than me.

feltdizz
11-24-2009, 09:27 PM

he drops the easy ones too.... this is why he gets the flack. Troy makes one handed grabs, jumps over OL's to sack the QB, cures cancer.. all we want from IKE is one freaking INT to change the game.

feltdizz
11-24-2009, 09:30 PM

Great perspective... and you are a better man than me.

hmmm... I try but I can't do it either...

I have actually watched IKE look a ball into his hands and said "dropped" and he indeed dropped it and although I knew it and even said it out loud I was still furious.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2009, 09:31 PM

he drops the easy ones too.... this is why he gets the flack. Troy makes one handed grabs, jumps over OL's to sack the QB, cures cancer.. all we want from IKE is one freaking INT to change the game.

The fact that Ike got an INT in SBXL was miraculous. And we thought the Harrison return and the Santonio tiptoe catch in SBXLIII were impressive... 8)

drprwnap
11-25-2009, 12:55 AM

Tomlin said the third down defense (the play we're talking about) was called TWICE. Once, before they even took the field and again after the 2nd down play. Now if the play is called twice and we have some players saying they didn't know what the defense was???? :wft
Seems like they (players) weren't on the "details".

BradshawsHairdresser
11-25-2009, 01:07 AM

Tomlin said the third down defense (the play we're talking about) was called TWICE. Once, before they even took the field and again after the 2nd down play. Now if the play is called twice and we have some players saying they didn't know what the defense was???? :wft
Seems like they (players) weren't on the "details".

Whether coaches or players, whoever was at fault, it was inexcusable. Another example of lack of focus and attention to detail...and it cost the game.