PDA

View Full Version : Why We're Gonna Be Alright

flippy
11-23-2009, 01:19 PM
If you take away the 8 return TDs we've given up, the Steelers Defense has only given up 128 points.

128 points leads the league by a nice margin - 12.8 points/game. And that's 128 points with Aaron Smith out of 50% of the games and Troy injured for 60% of the games.

We know we'll be better when Troy comes back. And our D line will have 11 games of experience working together come the end of the year.

So we've just gotta fix special teams. And start being more careful and not allow turn overs.

If we get into a position where the defense has to carry us, it can.

We can roll with Dixon or some other QB off the street.

Hopefully we'll get Ben back and he can get into a groove with the offense by the playoffs. But even if we don't we should be ok.

And for the first time in a while, we've got a RB that can help carry this team in Mendy.

We may have to change our offensive identity, but the nice thing is we can.

If we have to.

And we've done it this way before.

NW Steeler
11-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Flippy, I love your optimism. The thing that concerns me most is even though our D is not giving up that many points is that they are giving them up late in games. They have not been able to slam the door. They haven't fixed that yet, and they should have won easily yesterday against the Chiefs. I believe that this team has the resolve to turn it around, but the loss on Sunday concerns me a lot more than the loss to the Bungles. Everyone wants to say it will be ok, they'll get things fixed, but they haven't and we are 10 weeks into the season. I still have hope. It all starts again this Sunday night!

flippy
11-23-2009, 01:35 PM
We're better than the 12.8 ppg with Troy back. And he'll help us solve the closing out the game issue.

I noticed Ziggy a little more than usual yesterday too. I think he's gonna have a big impact down the stretch.

And if you look at what this defense has been doing, they've done well without a consistent commitment to the running game. We'll run more if Ben/Batch are out. It will help the D get even better.

And at this point, we just need to get better down the stretch and make it into the playoffs and we'll be fine.

SteelAbility
11-23-2009, 03:47 PM
From my view our problems, other than STs, is very mental. It's one or more of several things, in my estimation:

1) Assumption of victory. "I don't need to put out this play because we can always get it together later in the game. We always do."

2) Sloppy and cavalier with the ball. I was watching the NE-NYJ game and was incredibly impressed with the way Welker played. Top priority - securing the ball. When I watch our receivers (other than Hines) I don't see securing the catch/ball as the top priority.

3) I honestly believe there is an element of expecting to win on reputation, not by play on the field. Controversial I know. To what extent? Who knows? I felt this same way in the 06 season.

4) I believe there is some sort of in-fighting going on in the locker room. It's not about team. It's about individuals wanting to be "the man." No proof again. Call it a hunch.

Wolfhound45
11-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Definitely not an expert on these things, so bear with me. We are all familiar with the Steelers "style" of football. Tough defense and a run oriented offense. It works for many reasons (limiting offense opportunities, wearing down opponents, etc). However, it occurred to me that our offense now looks very much like that of Indianapolis. Rather than trying to control the clock we try to "sling it" all over the field. We rack up yards and move relatively well between the twenties. However, we tend to falter or make a mistake in the red zone and end up with three points (in the best case scenario - see red zone interception yesterday). Having said that, the same problems that Indianapolis experienced in the past we are experiencing right now. Namely, a defense that does not have the "gas" to make it in the fourth quarter (or overtime in this instance) because they have been on the field a lot. I recognize that Ben is a great quarterback, probably even elite in his ability, but is his "success" (and that of the passing offense) hurting the team as a whole in the long run? Are we dividing our locker room into "offense" and "defense" units because of this? It sure happened in Indianapolis.

Just a thought.

NW Steeler
11-23-2009, 07:36 PM
I think there is a lot of truth to what you are saying Wofhound. I always thought that Cowher's defenses were good, but not as dominant as they were on paper. A lot of their statistical dominance had to do with the fact that they weren't on the field that much and the opposing offenses had limited opportunities. Most of that had to do with the fact that we had the league's #1 rushing attack and we always dominated TOP. I thought that last years' D was the best since the 70's because they never had the "protection" of a dominating run game.

flippy
11-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Definitely not an expert on these things, so bear with me. We are all familiar with the Steelers "style" of football. Tough defense and a run oriented offense. It works for many reasons (limiting offense opportunities, wearing down opponents, etc). However, it occurred to me that our offense now looks very much like that of Indianapolis. Rather than trying to control the clock we try to "sling it" all over the field. We rack up yards and move relatively well between the twenties. However, we tend to falter or make a mistake in the red zone and end up with three points (in the best case scenario - see red zone interception yesterday). Having said that, the same problems that Indianapolis experienced in the past we are experiencing right now. Namely, a defense that does not have the "gas" to make it in the fourth quarter (or overtime in this instance) because they have been on the field a lot. I recognize that Ben is a great quarterback, probably even elite in his ability, but is his "success" (and that of the passing offense) hurting the team as a whole in the long run? Are we dividing our locker room into "offense" and "defense" units because of this? It sure happened in Indianapolis.

Just a thought.

This is what makes out current defense all the more impressive. Even the 08 unit for that matter.

If you look at the 70s Steelers defenses many consider the best of all time, they were often supported by the #1 running game in football. The 08 Steelers were awful running the ball. Yet they put up some of the best defensive numbers ever.

If you paired this defense with a running game, the 08 defense would have been the best ever by a mile.

The 09 D may be better than the 08 D.

JTP53609
11-24-2009, 09:43 AM
i hate to use the return card, but do you know what our record would be if we had not given up the return td's in the games we lost...9-1 :stirpot

NWNewell
11-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Flippy, I love your optimism. The thing that concerns me most is even though our D is not giving up that many points is that they are giving them up late in games.

I don't if they give up those 13 points per game in the first quarter, or last quarter. You don't get more points for TD's scored in the 4th quarter than the 1st quarter. Every team has to play 60 minutes for a reason. Our offense just has to put up more points than the other team. If our defense only gives up 13 points per game, I like our chances. No matter when they come.

However, just because our defense isn't the one giving up the extra points, doesn't mean we don't need to worry about them. It's a team effort, and the team effort is worrying me.

NWNewell
11-24-2009, 10:36 AM
From my view our problems, other than STs, is very mental. It's one or more of several things, in my estimation:

1) Assumption of victory. "I don't need to put out this play because we can always get it together later in the game. We always do."

2) Sloppy and cavalier with the ball. I was watching the NE-NYJ game and was incredibly impressed with the way Welker played. Top priority - securing the ball. When I watch our receivers (other than Hines) I don't see securing the catch/ball as the top priority.

3) I honestly believe there is an element of expecting to win on reputation, not by play on the field. Controversial I know. To what extent? Who knows? I felt this same way in the 06 season.

4) I believe there is some sort of in-fighting going on in the locker room. It's not about team. It's about individuals wanting to be "the man." No proof again. Call it a hunch.

I agree with all but the last one.

flippy
11-29-2009, 09:31 AM
bumping this sentiment now that dixon is actually starting. we be alright.

flippy
11-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Are you ready for some of this?

[youtube:catpwbtq]PMhbNFu9OR4[/youtube:catpwbtq]

skyhawk
11-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Dixon is the player I was most impressed with in the preseason.

I was excited about his play.

skyhawk
11-29-2009, 06:58 PM
I loved that play.

Although, while watching it over again just now, I couldn't help but to remember Kordell's abilities running the ball.

frenchie
11-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Flippy, you're the best! Nothing better than reading something positive before this game. We can do it!!! :tt2