PDA

View Full Version : Who the hell can we bring in for Batch

steelerkeylargo
11-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Mike Reilly is on the Saints. Who was the camp arm we had in between him and St.Pierre?

Jooser
11-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Shoulda drafted Pat White.... :stirpot

pfelix73
11-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Jeff Garcia.

JAR
11-23-2009, 01:14 PM
They're looking at Cleo Lemon??? Ugh!

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger “got his bell rung” and will go for further testing on Monday to determine if he suffered a concussion on Sunday, according to a league source.

Signs were positive that the injury was not a major setback, and Roethlisberger’s status for Sunday’s AFC North showdown at Baltimore will be determined later this week.

If somehow Roethlisberger can’t go, the Steelers would be in a world of trouble because they are also bracing for the likelihood they will be without veteran backup Charlie Batch for the duration of the regular season. Batch suffered a serious wrist injury after replacing Roethlisberger late in Sunday’s loss at Kansas City.

With inexperienced second-year pro Dennis Dixon as the team’s third-stringer, the Steelers have begun looking for help in the free-agent market, contacting veteran Cleo Lemon, according to a league source.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/23/roethli ... ptimistic/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/23/roethlisberger-to-have-tests-steelers-optimistic/)

phillyesq
11-23-2009, 01:20 PM
The only other names I can think of are Patrick Ramsey and Jeff Garcia.

Lemon was with the Ravens in camp for a few weeks this year, and he has played with Cam Cameron in San Diego and Miami (according to his wikipedia page). He doesn't seem much worse than the rest of what is out there, and perhaps the FO will be picking his brain a bit as well.

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2009, 01:22 PM

Lemon was with the Ravens in camp for a few weeks this year, and he has played with Cam Cameron in San Diego and Miami (according to his wikipedia page). He doesn't seem much worse than the rest of what is out there, and perhaps the FO will be picking his brain a bit as well.

I mentioned J.P. Losman and Brooks Bollinger as possibilities, since the UFL is finishing this week and they are already in mid-season form after playing in that league (as opposed to a guy who has been sitting on his couch all season to this point).

Mister Pittsburgh
11-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Just play Dixon and if he gets hurt have Hines ready to go as the emergency backup. Who knows the offense better than him?

steelerkeylargo
11-23-2009, 01:30 PM
I have to say I like. Garcia/Losman/Bollinger/Lemon in order. Having said that I don't LIKE any of them. UGH....the Devil has come for my soul in exchange for the Steelers/Pens rings.

flippy
11-23-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm kinda excited to see what Dixon can do.

It might actually be good for us with the rest of the team (Defense, ST, Offense) realizing everyone needs to step up and support Dixon. This could be the shot in the arm that gets everyone playing better collectively while Ben gets healthy.

steelerkeylargo
11-23-2009, 01:38 PM
With Charlie Batch expected to miss six weeks of action and Ben Roethlisberger's status up in the air, the Steelers need to work on finding quarterback depth.

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports the team has begun to make calls, including one to Cleo Lemon. It's uncertain how serious the team's interest level is in Lemon.

Even if Roethlisberger is able to play this week, the team may want another body around to learn the system as insurance. Injured reserve sounds like an option for Batch.

UPDATE: Old buddy Aaron Wilson reports for NFP that Jeff Garcia has also been called by the Steelers. The team is expected to conduct a tryout Tuesday

JAR
11-23-2009, 01:45 PM
It looks like they are going to sign Pitt QB Tyler Palko, an source tells me.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-23-2009, 01:57 PM
I guess that would be better than Joey Harrington.

pfelix73
11-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Local media is saying Dixon is by no means ready to QB this team. If this is the case, then why the hell is he using a roster spot? They are saying he is so bad in practice that a new face with only 3 days of practice will be better then him.

Fellow that interviewed Batch right after the game said nothing was wrong with him, so maybe the Schefter thing is overblown.... Saying they should be looking for Batch's long term replacement at this point.

:tt1

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2009, 02:15 PM
I think Batch will be replaced by Leftwich (again) this offseason. The Bucs signed Byron to a 2 year deal that pays him $2 million for each season, but there is also a $3.5 million roster bonus that will be due in March.

If he was their starter, they likely would pay that. But since rookie Josh Freeman has already taken the reins in Tampa, they will likely release Leftwich before that bonus comes due. If he can't start in an awful situation like Tampa, he will likely admit to himself that he is now an NFL backup, and he would likely want to fill that role in Pittsburgh, where he really seemed to enjoy himself last season.

Not that this helps us at all now, though. I think we will just be looking for a short-term fill-in now, though, instead of a potential long-term replacement for Batch.

pfelix73
11-23-2009, 02:23 PM
If they can lure Leftwich back, then they'll be ok. They can bring in a rookie in next year's draft to be their #3 man.

I say cut Dixon now and bring back Arnold Harrison at least for LB depth.

feltdizz
11-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Losman? We might as well move the team if we sign him.. That guy is beyond terrible..

he is Tommy Gun without the Gun.. just a mess.

hell, bring back Tommy.

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2009, 02:31 PM
If they can lure Leftwich back, then they'll be ok. They can bring in a rookie in next year's draft to be their #3 man.

Let's see...

Our #1 has a concussion.

Our #2 has a shoulder injury.

Let's cut #3 now for LB depth!!!

:wft :?

PSU_dropout43
11-23-2009, 02:32 PM
The Browns claimed him last week.

phillyesq
11-23-2009, 02:34 PM

I mentioned J.P. Losman and Brooks Bollinger as possibilities, since the UFL is finishing this week and they are already in mid-season form after playing in that league (as opposed to a guy who has been sitting on his couch all season to this point).

I was kind of thinking of some of the UFL guys, but wasn't sure what their story is. Bollinger could make sense.

pfelix73
11-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Ruthless- you are not hearing what I hearing on the radio... They (granted Pgh reporters but this guy does know his football) are saying that Dixon is terrible in practice and that someone like a Garcia would pick up the system quicker in 3 days then it would be to get Dixon ready to go..... If this is the case, then why the hell is he on the team?

I never liked him as well- can't you tell?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-23-2009, 03:00 PM
In case you are wondering.

Quarterback
Jeff Garcia - He made nearly $150,000 for two weeks of work with the Philadelphia Eagles.
J.P. Losman - Mistake prone, but talented signal caller. Currently playing in the UFL.
Gus Frerotte - Decent backup option.
Damon Huard - Was released by the 49ers in August. Decent backup option, but may retire.
Brian Griese - The journeyman signal caller was released by the Buccaneers recently.
Todd Bouman - Low-end No. 2 QB at this point in his career.
Joey Harrington - Low-end No. 2 QB at this point in his career.
Cleo Lemon - Basically a third quarterback at this point in his career.
Brad Johnson - Failed miserably as Dallas' backup last season.
Quinn Gray - Low-end second quarterback.
Brooks Bollinger - No 3 QB.

Hmm...Choices...Choices.

feltdizz
11-23-2009, 03:05 PM

J.P. Losman - Mistake prone, but talented signal caller. Currently playing in the UFL.

what talent signals has he called?

Uncle Rico
11-23-2009, 03:37 PM

Quarterback
*Jeff Garcia - He made nearly $150,000 for two weeks of work with the Philadelphia Eagles.
*J.P. Losman - Mistake prone, but talented signal caller. Currently playing in the UFL.
Gus Frerotte - Decent backup option.
Damon Huard - Was released by the 49ers in August. Decent backup option, but may retire.
Brian Griese - The journeyman signal caller was released by the Buccaneers recently.
Todd Bouman - Low-end No. 2 QB at this point in his career.
*Joey Harrington - Low-end No. 2 QB at this point in his career.
Cleo Lemon - Basically a third quarterback at this point in his career.
Brad Johnson - Failed miserably as Dallas' backup last season.
Quinn Gray - Low-end second quarterback.
Brooks Bollinger - No 3 QB.

Hmm...Choices...Choices.
What's funny is that 3 of the QB's on your list are also on this list as well.

http://www.campussqueeze.com/post/10-Mo ... backs.aspx (http://www.campussqueeze.com/post/10-Most-Effeminate-NFL-Quarterbacks.aspx)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-23-2009, 03:38 PM

what talent signals has he called?

Sorry...Not my words...Link below. I agree with you.

http://profootball.scout.com/2/920913.html

pfelix73
11-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Maybe they could call their buddy down in AZ and offer a low draft pick for St. Pierre. Always thought he had some potential....

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Maybe they could call their buddy down in AZ and offer a low draft pick for St. Pierre. Always thought he had some potential....

I think this guy is available. I hear he is a combination of all of the best attributes of Ben Roethlisberger and Brian St. Pierre together in one man, with a hint of Jerame Tuman thrown in for good measure.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-Oha_7alHJ8/Rqe1PTSpRFI/AAAAAAAAAuU/xBtOx4HIo3M/s400/impersonater.jpg

:wink:

steelmann58
11-23-2009, 04:41 PM
two names i heard about is Jeff Garcia and Cleo Lemmon

Mister Pittsburgh
11-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Bring in TOMMY GUNNNNNNN!

On a serious note, that list above of available QB's blows. And since when did Dennis Dixon become such a moron. All I heard from the coaches was how smart and athletic he is.

True Fan
11-23-2009, 05:24 PM
this is a non-issue. this team cant beat a pathetic chiefs team with ben or batch. what scrub off the street is going to be able to carry this mess anywhere?

SteelBucks
11-23-2009, 05:53 PM
They're looking at Cleo Lemon??? Ugh!

I'd rather sign Miss Cleo.....

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/231/501265481_d2709ec672.jpg

buckeyehoppy
11-23-2009, 06:28 PM
I think Batch will be replaced by Leftwich (again) this offseason. The Bucs signed Byron to a 2 year deal that pays him $2 million for each season, but there is also a $3.5 million roster bonus that will be due in March.

If he was their starter, they likely would pay that. But since rookie Josh Freeman has already taken the reins in Tampa, they will likely release Leftwich before that bonus comes due. If he can't start in an awful situation like Tampa, he will likely admit to himself that he is now an NFL backup, and he would likely want to fill that role in Pittsburgh, where he really seemed to enjoy himself last season.

Not that this helps us at all now, though. I think we will just be looking for a short-term fill-in now, though, instead of a potential long-term replacement for Batch.

I don't think Colbert has very much luxury holding to his vaunted principles on how to build a football team here, RB. He's going to have to play Let's Make A Deal.

So...how about this? The Steelers offer to pick up the remainder of his contract and half his roster bonus in exchange for a low round draft pick to obtain Leftwich. The Bucs are going to launch this guy anyway. We're just offering to take their upcoming headache off their hands AND sending them a draft pick for the trouble.

Let's face it. If Dixon can't cut it as a QB when it really counts...like, NOW, for example...then what good would a draft pick do us when we spend them on apparently failed projects like Dixon?

Get Leftwich back. He's the best option that might have a chance at happening.

Shoe
11-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Jeff Garcia.

Without doubt, Garcia is the BEST band-aid solution to the backup job. Better than Dixon IMO (though for this weekend, obviously Dixon is our only option). For the future, I'd be OK with Leftwich if he were to become available again. Also, if Tebow were available at pick #32, I would like him--serving as a backup/Wildcat/H-Back.

Steel Life
11-23-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm with Flippy on this one...I'm excited about the prospects of seeing what Dixon can do. He's got a rifle arm & is willing to run with it when things break down. Besides, if Flacco can do it in his rookie year, why can't Dixon do it now?

But for the sake of argument, I'd love to see a low-round draft pick offered for Leftwich, it's really the only option that makes sense in the long-run. I'd also like to see them pick-up Mike Reilly on the PS so at least we have one in development.

Steel Life
11-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Here's another thought...can we trade Arians to the Bucs for Byron? :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2009, 07:49 PM

I don't think Colbert has very much luxury holding to his vaunted principles on how to build a football team here, RB. He's going to have to play Let's Make A Deal.

So...how about this? The Steelers offer to pick up the remainder of his contract and half his roster bonus in exchange for a low round draft pick to obtain Leftwich. The Bucs are going to launch this guy anyway. We're just offering to take their upcoming headache off their hands AND sending them a draft pick for the trouble.

Let's face it. If Dixon can't cut it as a QB when it really counts...like, NOW, for example...then what good would a draft pick do us when we spend them on apparently failed projects like Dixon?

Get Leftwich back. He's the best option that might have a chance at happening.

The trade deadline passed on October 14, 2009. And there is no getting around it unlike baseball's faux trade deadline.

isonator07
11-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Kordell Stewart???? :stirpot

But seriously wheres Brian St. Pierre??? Is he still with Zona?

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Kordell Stewart???? :stirpot

But seriously wheres Brian St. Pierre??? Is he still with Zona?

Yes, he is.

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2009, 08:05 PM
If the team thinks that Ben is okay to go on Sunday and that Dixon would be able to handle the backup role, the could claim Mike Reilly off the Packers' practice squad to be their 3rd QB on gameday (since Reilly knows our playbook after spending training camp in Latrobe).

Lebsteel
11-23-2009, 08:37 PM
If the team thinks that Ben is okay to go on Sunday and that Dixon would be able to handle the backup role, the could claim Mike Reilly off the Packers' practice squad to be their 3rd QB on gameday (since Reilly knows our playbook after spending training camp in Latrobe).

Makes sense to me. I saw Reilly at training camp and he looked pretty good. I would rather see Dixon first, just to see what he can do. Obviously the best scenario is that Ben is OK to play.

Shoe
11-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Here's an idea I just thought of: Marc Bulger

He's done again for this year already; his starting days are over. But I think he can still be effective in a limited role. He can play in a pass-happy scheme. AND, he is a hometown boy. Potentially, we could milk 2-4 years of service out of him.

phillyesq
11-23-2009, 10:44 PM
For now, according to Wexell's twitter, it looks like the Steelers are going to sign Tyler Palko to the practice squad.

Sugar
11-23-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm a bit puzzled as to why the FO would keep Dixon around and on the roster (not PS) if he were so terrible. It doesn't make sense to me?

Perhaps he's the next Willie Beamon? :lol:

True Fan
11-23-2009, 11:35 PM
ther's was numerous quality options available but t0mlin decide that bacth was his guy, not that he had any faith in him, but becaue he was cheap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,very sound decision for a qb thAT Ttakes 50 sacks a year TO BE BACKED UP BY ASLOW BLACK THAT CATCH THROW....NICE WORK TOMLIN