PDA

View Full Version : Miller, Roethlisberger: Day to remember, forget

fordfixer
11-23-2009, 04:04 AM
Miller, Roethlisberger: Day to remember, forget
By: Mike BiresBeaver County Times
Monday November 23, 2009 12:10 AM

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... orget.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2009/november/23/miller-roethlisberger-day-to-remember-forget.html)

KANSAS CITY — For Ben Roethlisberger and Heath Miller, it was a milestone Sunday.

But neither celebrated.

Roethlisberger threw for 398 yards — the fourth-highest total in Steelers’ history — and three touchdowns at Arrowhead Stadium. But when he walked off the field, he did so dazed and dejected with a towel draped over his aching head.

The star quarterback didn’t even finish the 27-24 overtime loss to the Chiefs (3-7) after taking a knee to the head on the Steelers’ only possession in OT.

Roethlisberger, who tied a team record with his fourth 300-yard game this season, did not speak to reporters after the game.

“Needless to say, it was a concussion-oriented thing,” coach Mike Tomlin said.

Meanwhile, Miller established a personal single-season high for receptions by catching seven passes for 95 yards. The Steelers’ highly-regarded tight end now has 54 catches on the season. In just 10 games, he’s already surpassed his previous single-season high (48 in 2008).

But after the stunning loss to the Chiefs, Miller said he was to blame.

“It came down to me making a play when I had a chance to, and I didn’t,” he said.

Miller was talking about a pass that he let slip through his hands early in the third quarter. The Steelers (6-4) were leading 17-7 at the time and were moving into Kansas City territory when Miller couldn’t hang on to an accurately thrown ball by Roethlisberger.

Linebacker Andy Studebaker, starting in place of injured Mike Vrabel, caught the carom and turned the tide. Seven plays later, the Chiefs scored to make it 17-14.

“That’s unacceptable,” said Miller, usually a sure-handed receiver. “I had the ball in my hands. We’re going down the field, but I miss the ball and they’re going the other way. That gave them the momentum. That falls on my shoulders.”

The Chiefs tied the game 17-17 late in the third quarter after Studebaker stopped a Steelers’ scoring threat with an interception 2 yards deep in the end zone. His 94-yard return set up a field goal.

Both teams traded touchdowns in the fourth quarter. Then in OT, the Chiefs won it.

The Steelers had the ball first, but couldn’t score.

On the fourth play of the extra session, Roethlisberger was nearly knocked out when he was sacked by Studebaker and linebacker Derrick Johnson. Roethlisberger was hurt when struck in the head by Johnson’s knee.

Backup Charlie Batch replaced Rothlisberger, but couldn’t move the Steelers into field goal range.

When the Chiefs got the ball, they quickly moved into field goal range with a 61-yard completion from quarterback Matt Cassel to wide receiver Chris Chambers.

On the next play, rookie Ryan Succop, the last player taken in this year’s draft, booted a 22-yard game-winning field goal.

“You have to tip your hat to the Chiefs because they played well enough to win,” Tomlin said. “But that’s not what we’re capable of. That’s not us. And it won’t be us. But that was us today.”

Tomlin would not speculate if Roethlisberger will play this coming Sunday in Baltimore against the Ravens (5-5).

skyhawk
11-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Ben better play on Sunday or the Steelers are screwed.

williar
11-23-2009, 05:58 PM

Yeah! Just like the last two games. Huh!

skyhawk
11-23-2009, 06:00 PM

Yeah! Just like the last two games. Huh!

Wow, you have less faith than me :lol:

skyhawk
11-23-2009, 06:01 PM
And btw, aside from the pick returned for 94 yards, Ben has done more than his fair share.