PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger says he's OK after hit

fordfixer
11-23-2009, 03:26 AM
Steelers Notebook: Roethlisberger says he's OK after hit
Monday, November 23, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09327/1015649-66.stm

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who left yesterday's game in overtime after taking a blow to the head, appeared to be lucid in the Steelers' locker room after their 27-24 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

"Needless to say, it was a concussion-oriented thing, so I doubt he was going to come back into the football game," coach Mike Tomlin said.

However, Roethlisberger said in the locker room that while he did not know if he received a concussion or not, he felt OK.

Roethlisberger left the game with 12:21 remaining in overtime after he scrambled and was sacked near midfield. Linebacker Derrick Johnson's knee hit Roethlisberger in the head as the quarterback hit the ground.

Charlie Batch entered the game at that point, the first time the veteran backup has taken a snap since the 2007 season.

Starting left guard Chris Kemoeatu also left the game with a sprained MCL in his right knee. A similar injury kept safety Troy Polamalu out for four games but offensive linemen normally can return more quickly because of the nature of the position.

A measure of retribution
Todd Haley could not have asked for a better moment as Kansas City's rookie head coach. An Upper St. Clair High School graduate and former Steelers ballboy, Haley's Chiefs opened the season with five consecutive losses.

But with his dad, former Steelers player personnel director Dick Haley, wearing a Chiefs jacket in attendance, young Haley's team won its second consecutive game and third in the past five.

"They're the model for what we're striving to get to and that's something that's been going on for a long time, since I've been a young kid in Pittsburgh," Haley said.

Haley was the offensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals last season and talked last week about how difficult it was to see the Steelers mount that final drive to beat them in Super Bowl XLIII.

He got some payback yesterday, and he also nearly saw an identical play to the one that helped beat his Cardinals in the Super Bowl when James Harrison returned an interception 100 yards in that game for a touchdown. Yesterday, linebacker Andy Studebaker intercepted Roethlisberger 2 yards deep in the end zone and returned it 94 yards to the Steelers' 8, where Rashard Mendenhall tackled him .

"I wish Studebaker would have scored on the interception," Haley said. "That would have been full retribution. I was thinking I'd finally be able to put that interception return away."

Sitting it out
Yesterday's inactives:

Steelers -- S Troy Polamalu and DE Travis Kirschke because of injuries, FB Carey Davis, G Kraig Urbik, OT Tony Hills, DE Sunny Harris, WR Shaun McDonald and No. 3 QB Dennis Dixon.

Chiefs -- LB Mike Vrabel and G Andy Alleman, both starters; CB Donald Washington, RB Dantrell Savage, LB David Herron, LB Justin Rogers and TE Jake O'Connell.

Offense finally scores
When Hines Ward caught Roethlisberger's 8-yard touchdown pass for a 10-7 lead late in the first half, it ended a stretch of nearly 86 minutes (85:50) in which the Steelers' offense did not score a touchdown. It hadn't gotten six since Ward scored in the final minutes at Denver Nov. 9.

"I thought we drove the ball pretty well," Ward said, "but we dropped some balls, got stripped, had penalties, you can't do that."

Flagged
Yesterday's eight Steelers penalties were a season-high. They hadn't had more than six in any game this year.

Sad sacks
The Steelers allowed three sacks, meaning they've allowed Roethlisberger to be put on the ground at least three times in seven consecutive games.

Auspicious debut
Kansas City linebacker Studebaker yesterday became the first player from Wheaton College to start an NFL game, and it was a pretty impressive start. He intercepted two passes.

No happy returns
With yesterday's 97-yard touchdown run on the opening kickoff by Kansas City's Jamaal Charles, the Steelers have been burned by touchdowns on returns in eight consecutive games, four on kickoff returns in the past five games. Two of the others came on interception returns and the other on a fumble.

Unfinished business
Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor has a long history of playing great coverage and putting himself in position to make an interception only to drop the ball. It happened at the worst possible time yesterday -- in overtime -- when he couldn't hang on to a Matt Cassel pass at the Steelers' 23. On the next play, Cassel threw a 61-yard pass to wide receiver Chris Chambers to set up the winning field goal.

"If I make that play, it might have been a different game," Taylor said. "That's what I'm sitting here telling myself. Doesn't matter if you have great coverage. It's all about finishing."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09327/10 ... z0XfIzcOGI (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09327/1015649-66.stm#ixzz0XfIzcOGI)

williar
11-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah! Just like he was in 2006. Sorry! But I'm about ready to take my chances with Dennis Dixon, than a partially concussed Ben. I honestly don't believe it could be any worse than what we've seen over the past few games. I know to many Ben "walks on water" and has this larger than life image...But what I've seen out there on the field leaves much to be desired. For as many "Wow" plays that you see Ben make, there are just as many "WTF" plays from him that usually end up costing us the game. I think Ben may need a little time off to deal with his personal life. This team would be served better right now with a game manager. A qb who doesn't have to throw for a zillion yards and run around in backfield to make plays. Just someone who can calm this team down, make good game management decisions and not turn the ball over. I would have love to have seen Charlie for a couple of games, but...Oh Well!!

grotonsteel
11-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Yeah! Just like he was in 2006. Sorry! But I'm about ready to take my chances with Dennis Dixon, than a partially concussed Ben. I honestly don't believe it could be any worse than what we've seen over the past few games. I know to many Ben "walks on water" and has this larger than life image...But what I've seen out there on the field leaves much to be desired. For as many "Wow" plays that you see Ben make, there are just as many "WTF" plays from him that usually end up costing us the game. I think Ben may need a little time off to deal with his personal life. This team would be served better right now with a game manager. A qb who doesn't have to throw for a zillion yards and run around in backfield to make plays. Just someone who can calm this team down, make good game management decisions and not turn the ball over. I would have love to have seen Charlie for a couple of games, but...Oh Well!!

Why so much hate on Big Ben??????

Did you even see the KC game??? Big Ben played horribly against the Bungles but he is not the reason Steelers lost the KC game.

Did Big Ben asked your girl to repair his TV??? :roll:

JAR
11-23-2009, 06:22 PM

WOW..... really.

Flasteel
11-23-2009, 06:32 PM

Are you kidding me?

Ben had a slow start on the first two possessions (one of his throws should have been picked). After that he was on fire for most of the game. He was unbelievable in the pocket yesterday and did some things that no other player in the league can do. I only remember two bad passes after the first couple of possessions. One was incomplete and one was picked by Studebaker and returned for 94 yards.

Ben isn't Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or even Drew Brees when it comes to precision quarterbacking. He makes mistakes from time to time and has some WTF moments. They are dwarfed however by his consistency and big play, clutch ability.

For you to even suggest that we'd be better off with Batch or anyone else is simply retarded.

JAR
11-23-2009, 06:35 PM

Are you kidding me?

Ben had a slow start on the first two possessions (one of his throws should have been picked). After that he was on fire for most of the game. He was unbelievable in the pocket yesterday and did some things that no other player in the league can do. I only remember two bad passes after the first couple of possessions. One was incomplete and one was picked by Studebaker and returned for 94 yards.

Ben isn't Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or even Drew Brees. He makes mistakes from time to time and has some WTF moments. They are dwarfed however by his consistency and big play, clutch ability.

For you to even suggest that we'd be better off with Batch or anyone else is simply retarded.

These Ben haters are a strange breed. :HeadBanger

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2009, 08:33 PM

Getting hit by Derrick Johnson's knee while wearing a helmet, and headbutting a Chrysler without a helmet are two very different things.

The foremost experts in concussions are in Pittsburgh. Brian Westbrook and Clinton Portis both came to Pittsurgh last week to get their head injuries checked just like other athletes go to Alabama to get their knee injuries checked. They test these guys in the pre-season when they are healthy, and compare those results to the results of the same tests performed after the concussion. Ben won't be playing unless these experts say that he is ready to return (and all signs are pointing to that direction so far).

Nothing like complaining about a QB after he completes 32 of 42 passes for 398 yards and 3 TD's. It's even difficult to blame him for the 2 picks when one of them deflected off Heath Miller's hands and the other occurred when he was hit as he threw, causing the ball to come out of his hand like a wounded duck.

JAR
11-23-2009, 08:39 PM
The Steelers neurosurgeon, Dr. Joe Maroon developed the concussion testing and standards that the NFL uses. He's the best in the country regarding head injuries, Ben won't be released to play unless he's ready. We went through this all when Ben had his last concussion, Ben won't play unless the best neurosurgeon in the country says he's OK to play.

http://www.impacttest.com/