PDA

View Full Version : Suggs sets sights on Steelers

fordfixer
11-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Suggs sets sights on Steelers
Injured Raven wants quick return to lineup
By AARON WILSON Landmark News Service
Published 11/20/09
http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/s ... elers.html (http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/spo/2009/11/20-24/Suggs-sets-sights-on-Steelers.html)

OWINGS MILLS - Pro Bowl outside linebacker Terrell Suggs is confident that his sprained right knee isn't going to end his season, and he's targeting the Baltimore Ravens' game next week against the Pittsburgh Steelers for his return.

Listed Injured on an illegal block by Cleveland Browns quarterback Brady Quinn during Monday night's 16-0 win, Suggs has a minor tear of his medial collateral ligament and is forecasted to miss two to three weeks.

"There's no doubt in my mind that I should be back this year," Suggs said yesterday in his first comments since suffering the injury. "That's the plan. That's where I'm at with it."

Suggs claimed that he hasn't watched the play where Quinn launched himself at the three-time Pro Bowl pass rusher's knees. However, he has been informed by several players that it was a cheap shot.

"That's exactly what it felt like, but I haven't seen it so I can't really say one way or another," Suggs said. "I'm more upset that I'm going to miss this game."

Quinn has apologized publicly to Suggs and the Ravens, but Suggs said he hasn't heard from the Browns' quarterback.

From Suggs' standpoint, he wondered why Quinn wasn't fined more than $10,000 by the league office.

"If I wouldn't have gotten the same fine, then it's definitely not fair," Suggs said. "But he's a quarterback and I'm a linebacker. That's just the world we live in. If they were to say that it was the other way around, then you can say it's fair."

The Ravens host the defending Super Bowl champion Steelers next weekend, and Suggs is holding out hope that he'll play in this game much like he did last year's AFC title game when he sacked Ben Roethlisberger twice despite a painful shoulder injury.

"I've got to get back for that rivalry," Suggs said. "That's the game you definitely don't want to miss. Hopefully, I can miraculously heal and try to get back to play. I'm usually a pretty good healer."

INJURY UPDATE: Tight end Todd Heap didn't practice again due to a painful rib injury, and L.J. Smith is preparing to start in his place.

A former starter with the Philadelphia Eagles, Smith hasn't played much this year and has caught just one pass for 26 yards.

When asked if he's concerned that Heap could be out, offensive coordinator Cam Cameron replied: "That's not a concern to my knowledge."

Ozey74
11-20-2009, 11:00 PM
However, he has been informed by several players that it was a cheap shot."

After seeing the replay, I don't think it was a cheap shot. Just an unfortunate mishap -like Kemo's hit on Carson Palmer in the playoffs a few years back.

:ratsuck

steelsnis
11-20-2009, 11:49 PM
It was definitely cheap. You can't sneak in and hit a guy low on a return (interception, kickoff, punt etc).

If he manned up and hit Suggs in the chops then so be it but you can't b*tch out and hit him in the knees. Favre did the same thing in the preseason against the Texans and got all kinds of heat for it.

SteelCrazy
11-21-2009, 12:31 AM
Anyone with eyes can tell Quinn didnt even see Suggs when he started to dive. He was going after the ball carrier, not Suggs. It's easy to see, not sure why everyone cant tell what went down.

sd steel
11-21-2009, 01:30 AM
It wasn't a cheap shot, and if Quinn was playing safety, and Suggs was an olineman or a blocking back it would have been considered a clean play. The reason why it was illegal was they implemented a rule that if there is a change of possesion during a play, (interception, fumble recovery), you can't hit a blocker or opposing player below the waist. I ask anyone who thought this was cheap one question. If you were a QB and Suggs is getting ready to block you, or in your way so you couldn't make a tackle, where are you gonna hit him? You are always taught to hit big guys low. otherwise you willl get demolished.

BATMAN
11-21-2009, 01:41 AM
If Suggs gives ur Steelers any lip, Hines will take care of him.

sd steel
11-21-2009, 01:45 AM
If Suggs gives ur Steelers any lip, Hines will take care of him.

And Suggs has a lot of lip to give!! :shock: :lol:

stlrz d
11-21-2009, 01:44 PM
It was definitely cheap. You can't sneak in and hit a guy low on a return (interception, kickoff, punt etc).

If he manned up and hit Suggs in the chops then so be it but you can't b*tch out and hit him in the knees. Favre did the same thing in the preseason against the Texans and got all kinds of heat for it.

I posted the video in another thread on this. He didn't hit him in the knees...he hit him in the upper thigh and Suggs' cleat stuck in the turf causing the injury.

It is a penalty due to the rule, but not cheap because Quinn wasn't shooting for the knees. He's just trying to go low, which is what you're taught to do.

And the more I watch it the more it appears that Quinn is trying to duck underneath Suggs in order to get at Carr.

You can see it clearly here...especially starting at :47

[youtube:1fgrgmw5]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WoJeLA6HDs4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WoJeLA6HDs4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:1fgrgmw5]

Jooser
11-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Here's a cheap shot on Thugs...

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/suggs.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: