PDA

View Full Version : History shows QB Big Ben rebounds quickly

fordfixer
11-20-2009, 02:19 AM
History shows QB Big Ben rebounds quickly

By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, November 20, 2009

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 54106.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_654106.html)

The timing of the Steelers' offense seemed to be off last Sunday in an 18-12 loss to the Bengals.

That could translate into the timing not being right for the Chiefs Sunday when the Steelers visit Kansas City for a 1 p.m. game.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will try to rebound from his worst performance of the season against the Chiefs.

"In the past, you didn't want to play him (following a bad game)," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "He's been outstanding bouncing back, and he takes it personal — like all of us."

That is not exactly good news for the Chiefs, who rank 24th in the NFL in passing defense and probably will see a different Roethlisberger than Cincinnati did.

Roethlisberger, who entered last Sunday's game tied with Peyton Manning for the best completion percentage (70.6) in the NFL, connected on just 50 percent of his passes against the Bengals.

Roethlisberger said Thursday that reviewing film of the game didn't change his initial analysis that he simply had an off day in the loss.

"To me, it's just about looking at it, evaluating it and then moving on, not dwelling on it," he said. "Because if you dwell on it, I think it can carry over. It's just about being able to put it behind, learn from your mistakes and say: 'Listen, don't let it happen again.' Hopefully, it doesn't."

• Troy Polamalu did not practice Thursday for the second consecutive day, and the Steelers' strong safety is unlikely to play Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs. Polamalu, who strained the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) in his left knee last Sunday, would be replaced in the starting lineup by Tyrone Carter.

• It looks like the Steelers will also be without Travis Kirschke against the Chiefs. Kirschke, who has missed the last two games because of a stained calf, didn't practice yesterday after taking part in some individual drills Wednesday. Nick Eason will start at left defensive end if Kirschke is unable to go. Kirschke and Polamalu were the only Steelers that didn't practice yesterday.

• Arians said Willie Parker still has a role in the running game. Parker played sparingly in the Steelers' 18-12 loss to the Bengals last Sunday, Arians said, because Rashard Mendenhall got just 13 carries. Parker lost one series he had been slated to play, Arians said, because the Steelers ran a no-huddle offense and went with Mewelde Moore at running back.

• Polamalu filmed a public service announcement with President Obama during the Steelers' bye week at the end of October, and he got a chance to talk with Obama one-on-one.

"He's very personable, so it wasn't intimidating at all," Polamalu said. "He's just like a cool guy you can sit down at a barbecue with." The announcement will run next week, and it promotes the NFL's Play 60 initiative, which encourages kids to exercise for at least 60 minutes a day.

QUOTABLE

"He's had three great weeks of practice. He's earned the right to get back out there. We should have had him in there maybe a little more last week, but it didn't show itself, and you've got to earn your stripes. He's just got to bide his time, but he's got a bright future." — Arians, on wide receiver Limas Sweed, who has just one catch this season and has played sparingly since dropping a touchdown pass in late September.

DIGITS

16 — Third-down receptions made by Santonio Holmes, which is tied for sixth in the NFL.

42 — Consecutive games Ike Taylor has started at cornerback.

SteelAbility
11-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Man, fordfixer you are taking over this board. :moon

Ok, I'm J/K around wid ya! You do post good articles.

Well, playing KC will certainly help build confidence on the rebound. If Ben's so good at rebounding, maybe he could try the NBA. After all LeBron James would undoubtedly succeed in the NFL.

I view the Cincy game a bit like I did the Eagles game last year. We sucked on O but still had a chance at the end. Ben will rebound. There was probably some trace of mold in his spaghetti that affected his game. He'll get it together and we're making a run at #7 ... B*TCHES!!!!

fordfixer
11-20-2009, 03:26 PM

Well, playing KC will certainly help build confidence on the rebound. If Ben's so good at rebounding, maybe he could try the NBA. After all LeBron James would undoubtedly succeed in the NFL.

I view the Cincy game a bit like I did the Eagles game last year. We sucked on O but still had a chance at the end. Ben will rebound. There was probably some trace of mold in his spaghetti that affected his game. He'll get it together and we're making a run at #7 ... B*TCHES!!!!

Just trying to drive up my post count :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
11-20-2009, 03:34 PM

Just trying to drive up my post count :lol:

Yeah, whatever, n00b. :wink:

Scarletfire1970
11-20-2009, 07:28 PM

Just trying to drive up my post count :lol:I think it is awesome because when I want to read Steelers articles all I have to do is come here and you post them all! Thanks!

fordfixer
11-20-2009, 08:07 PM

Just trying to drive up my post count :lol:I think it is awesome because when I want to read Steelers articles all I have to do is come here and you post them all! Thanks!

Once I get past the nOOb stage you all will have to find your own Steelers articles 8)

papillon
11-20-2009, 09:47 PM
He's had three great weeks of practice. He's earned the right to get back out there. We should have had him in there maybe a little more last week, but it didn't show itself, and you've got to earn your stripes. He's just got to bide his time, but he's got a bright future." — Arians, on wide receiver Limas Sweed, who has just one catch this season and has played sparingly since dropping a touchdown pass in late September.

This is good news and a good week to get Sweed some work. Having his physical presence down the stretch will be helpful. Use this week to begin building his confidence. The fact that he hasn't b1tched or moaned about anything is a good sign. He's evidently been working hard in practice and hopefully it will pay off.

Pappy