PDA

View Full Version : Unlike teammate, Big Ben takes blame for loss....

SteelCrazy
11-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Roethlisberger takes blame for Bengals loss, says Steelers must move on
By Alan Robinson (CP) 2 hours ago

PITTSBURGH He didn't blame the wide receivers for running incorrect pass routes, even if one of them seemed to be singling him out. He didn't blame the special teams for allowing a third costly kickoff return touchdown in four games.
He didn't argue with offensive co-ordinator Bruce Arians' decision to take over the play-calling during a hurry-up situation late in the game, when Ben Roethlisberger often is most effective while calling his own plays.

No, Roethlisberger says the Steelers' biggest loss of the season was his fault, and his alone. The Steelers (6-3) are down a game to the Cincinnati Bengals (7-2) in the AFC North after losing to Cincinnati 18-12, and the quarterback said the reason was No. 7.
"You know what? I had a bad day. Everyone in here's had a bad day. ... I flat out had a bad day and it's going to happen sometimes," Roethlisberger said Thursday, the first time he's talked to reporters since Sunday. "It's just unfortunate that when the quarterback has a bad game it affects the whole offence. That's why you can't afford to have too many bad games."

Roethlisberger hasn't had many of them. He's been in the top three in passing yardage most of the season, though he slipped to No. 7 after going 20-of-40 for 174 yards during a second successive loss to Cincinnati.

Instead of breaking down what he did wrong, or figuring out why he couldn't connect consistently with his receivers inside the 20, Roethlisberger said he has long since shifted his focus to Sunday's game in Kansas City.

"It's being able to look at it and move on and not dwell on it," Roethlisberger said. "If you dwell on it, I think it can carry over. Just being able to put it behind you, learn from the mistakes and say, 'Listen, don't let this happen again' and hopefully it doesn't."

Roethlisberger didn't feel right warming up, but initially believed he could play his way out of it during Pittsburgh's first series. He scrambled for 15 yards and a first down as the Bengals 15, but the drive stalled and the Steelers settled for a field goal. The pattern for the day was set.

"I didn't feel great, my arm didn't feel good and that first drive, we connected a few times, went down the field, had to scramble," Roethlisberger said. "I kind of thought, 'OK, shut that funk off.' And then it never quite came around."

Roethlisberger owns the NFL's second-best winning percentage among quarterbacks - only Tom Brady is better - but he deferred when Arians decided to call the plays during the Steelers' final series. Late in games, Roethlisberger is usually at his best when calling his own plays out of no-huddle sets.

This time, Roethlisberger went 0-for-4 and the Steelers never gained a yard after taking over at their 33 with 1:56 remaining, more than enough time to mount a winning drive.
"It's just something where I'll never second-guess Bruce and he'll never second-guess me," Roethlisberger said. "He wanted to call them and I believed in him and the calls and I just had to execute them."

Following the Steelers' first loss in their last 11 home games, Roethlisberger said something didn't feel right, mentioning the unseasonably warm weather and a subdued crowd.

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes later seized on those remarks, saying if the quarterback felt that way, it's probably explains why the Steelers lost.

If Roethlisberger was bothered by Holmes' comment, he's not showing it. However, his 10-minute interview was unusual in that nearly all the questions were about a game played four days before and few were about Kansas City.

The Chiefs' 2-7 record may explain that. In Pittsburgh, there seems to be more talk among the fans about whether injured safety Troy Polamalu (knee) will be ready for Baltimore on Nov. 29 than there is about Sunday's game.

Still, Roethlisberger called the Chiefs "the biggest game of the season" because they're the next opponent. Polamalu agreed.

"If it's Ben or anybody, you can't take for granted the NFL and the challenge each team brings," Polamalu said. "I know there have been times, even my rookie year (2003) when we weren't very good, we felt we could still challenge anybody. I'm sure they feel the same way."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... -KstH3MNCg (http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hp85Vcjazn87ueOAvD-KstH3MNCg)
----------------------------------------------------------------

And Bruce took over the play calling in the hurry up at the end of the game, that's the first time it hasn't worked this year. Bruce has an ego that he cant fill....Thanks Bruce

sd steel
11-19-2009, 08:56 PM

PITTSBURGH He didn't blame the wide receivers for running incorrect pass routes, even if one of them seemed to be singling him out. He didn't blame the special teams for allowing a third costly kickoff return touchdown in four games.
He didn't argue with offensive co-ordinator Bruce Arians' decision to take over the play-calling during a hurry-up situation late in the game, when Ben Roethlisberger often is most effective while calling his own plays.

No, Roethlisberger says the Steelers' biggest loss of the season was his fault, and his alone. The Steelers (6-3) are down a game to the Cincinnati Bengals (7-2) in the AFC North after losing to Cincinnati 18-12, and the quarterback said the reason was No. 7.
"You know what? I had a bad day. Everyone in here's had a bad day. ... I flat out had a bad day and it's going to happen sometimes," Roethlisberger said Thursday, the first time he's talked to reporters since Sunday. "It's just unfortunate that when the quarterback has a bad game it affects the whole offence. That's why you can't afford to have too many bad games."

Roethlisberger hasn't had many of them. He's been in the top three in passing yardage most of the season, though he slipped to No. 7 after going 20-of-40 for 174 yards during a second successive loss to Cincinnati.

Instead of breaking down what he did wrong, or figuring out why he couldn't connect consistently with his receivers inside the 20, Roethlisberger said he has long since shifted his focus to Sunday's game in Kansas City.

"It's being able to look at it and move on and not dwell on it," Roethlisberger said. "If you dwell on it, I think it can carry over. Just being able to put it behind you, learn from the mistakes and say, 'Listen, don't let this happen again' and hopefully it doesn't."

Roethlisberger didn't feel right warming up, but initially believed he could play his way out of it during Pittsburgh's first series. He scrambled for 15 yards and a first down as the Bengals 15, but the drive stalled and the Steelers settled for a field goal. The pattern for the day was set.

"I didn't feel great, my arm didn't feel good and that first drive, we connected a few times, went down the field, had to scramble," Roethlisberger said. "I kind of thought, 'OK, shut that funk off.' And then it never quite came around."

Roethlisberger owns the NFL's second-best winning percentage among quarterbacks - only Tom Brady is better - but he deferred when Arians decided to call the plays during the Steelers' final series. Late in games, Roethlisberger is usually at his best when calling his own plays out of no-huddle sets.

This time, Roethlisberger went 0-for-4 and the Steelers never gained a yard after taking over at their 33 with 1:56 remaining, more than enough time to mount a winning drive.
"It's just something where I'll never second-guess Bruce and he'll never second-guess me," Roethlisberger said. "He wanted to call them and I believed in him and the calls and I just had to execute them."

Following the Steelers' first loss in their last 11 home games, Roethlisberger said something didn't feel right, mentioning the unseasonably warm weather and a subdued crowd.

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes later seized on those remarks, saying if the quarterback felt that way, it's probably explains why the Steelers lost.

If Roethlisberger was bothered by Holmes' comment, he's not showing it. However, his 10-minute interview was unusual in that nearly all the questions were about a game played four days before and few were about Kansas City.

The Chiefs' 2-7 record may explain that. In Pittsburgh, there seems to be more talk among the fans about whether injured safety Troy Polamalu (knee) will be ready for Baltimore on Nov. 29 than there is about Sunday's game.

Still, Roethlisberger called the Chiefs "the biggest game of the season" because they're the next opponent. Polamalu agreed.

"If it's Ben or anybody, you can't take for granted the NFL and the challenge each team brings," Polamalu said. "I know there have been times, even my rookie year (2003) when we weren't very good, we felt we could still challenge anybody. I'm sure they feel the same way."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... -KstH3MNCg (http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hp85Vcjazn87ueOAvD-KstH3MNCg)

And Bruce took over the play calling in the hurry up at the end of the game, that's the first time it hasn't worked this year. Bruce has an ego that he cant fill....Thanks Bruce

Ben takes blame....then calls out Arians for calling plays, even though he didn't feel right. Bruce is a peon. Many people in the NFL have hugs egos, Bruce isn't one of them. Ben lost the game, took credit for the loss then said that Arians called the final plays that ultimately lost the game for us. So is he really taking the blame or is he passing it to BA?

SteelCrazy
11-19-2009, 09:16 PM

Ben takes blame....then calls out Arians for calling plays, even though he didn't feel right. Bruce is a peon. Many people in the NFL have hugs egos, Bruce isn't one of them. Ben lost the game, took credit for the loss then said that Arians called the final plays that ultimately lost the game for us. So is he really taking the blame or is he passing it to BA?

LOL......are you Bruce's son?

BURGH86STEEL
11-19-2009, 09:18 PM

Could it be that Ben had a bad game calling his own plays too? This is what is wrong about the situation. Ben had a bad game and people find a way to blame Arians.

SteelCrazy
11-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Could it be that Ben had a bad game calling his own plays too? This is what is wrong about the situation. Ben had a bad game and people find a way to blame Arians.

No one had to "find a way" to blame Bruce.....He has shown us the light.

sd steel
11-20-2009, 12:16 AM

LOL......are you Bruce's son?

Are you Ben's Mom?

SteelCrazy
11-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Are you Ben's Mom?

Why yes I am.......I also change his diaper, rub Vaseline on his hiney and tell him how it's special and different from everyone else's. :moon

sd steel
11-20-2009, 02:12 AM
Are you Ben's Mom?

Why yes I am.......I also change his diaper, rub Vaseline on his hiney and tell him how it's special and different from everyone else's. :moon

Makes sense the way you are trying to protect him. So I will ask you, if you had to pin the blame for last weeks loss on one person, who should receive a majority of the blame. Who had the biggest opportunity to decide whether we won or lost the game?

SteelCrazy
11-20-2009, 08:31 AM
[quote="sd steel":qk1ln6ly]

Are you Ben's Mom?

Makes sense the way you are trying to protect him. So I will ask you, if you had to pin the blame for last weeks loss on one person, who should receive a majority of the blame. Who had the biggest opportunity to decide whether we won or lost the game?[/quote:qk1ln6ly]

Santonio Holmes....We win by one if he catches the end zone pass. However, the play calling had me chewing my arm throughout the game. Well, at least from the mid way point in the 2nd quarter.

JTP53609
11-20-2009, 08:41 AM
no no no, santonio holmes can only blame people if we lose, not take the blame himself, sure ben had a bad game, but rather than rally around him and help him out he will kick him when he is down. if holmes catches that pass than we have a better chance of winning, but he would never say that, because that is NOT how you become great....

steelblood
11-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Holmes was way out of line.

But, I don't love Ben's comments either. I don't want to hear that he didn't feel right and it could have had something to do with the "warm weather" and "subdued crowd". That's a little weak. He should not have needed the crowd to get up for that game.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-20-2009, 09:27 AM
SteelCrazy...I'm not going to be right all day because of your Megan Fox picture. DAM!

frankthetank1
11-20-2009, 09:46 AM

But, I don't love Ben's comments either. I don't want to hear that he didn't feel right and it could have had something to do with the "warm weather" and "subdued crowd". That's a little weak. He should not have needed the crowd to get up for that game.

i agree those are weak excuses. very un-like ben. he usually mans up and takes the blame

stlrz d
11-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Wasn't there ever a time for any of you when things just didn't feel right and you couldn't quite put your finger on what it was?

I think that's all Ben is trying to say. Dude's in his 20s and a jock...I don't expect him to be able to analyze and assess exactly what it was that wasn't right about a "feel".

ghettoscott
11-20-2009, 10:31 AM
"It's just unfortunate that when the quarterback has a bad game it affects the whole offence. That's why you can't afford to have too many bad games."

:wft

papillon
11-20-2009, 10:49 AM
"It's just unfortunate that when the quarterback has a bad game it affects the whole offence. That's why you can't afford to have too many bad games."

:wft

It's the UK spelling. :moon :tt2

Pappy

Jom112
11-20-2009, 11:14 AM

Isn't the crowd supposed to be subdued when the offense has the ball?

Also I read that this was the second biggest crowd in Heinz field history. I remember hearing them be pretty loud when our offense was pinned back close to our own endzone. It caused a delay of game when Huber was punting out of our end zone the first time and he had to re-kick.

I thought the crowd was fine...

aggiebones
11-20-2009, 11:52 AM
If you don't understand Ben's comments, then likely you never played anything or were just a random guy on the side.
Some days it is hard to get rolling. Some days its hard to feel like you did in a game when you did great. They have ups and downs, they aren't machines. At least Ben is not. If you ever thing he will be like Manning or Brady, he won't.
Its not his style. Not saying any of the ways are bad. But Ben can have lulls when Peyton normally operates similarly. Peyton is a routine conductor, where Ben is a playmaker and scrapper. Ben will win games he shouldn't and lose games he shouldn't. We've lost 4 games by 14 points or so total.
We get into the playoffs and noone will want to play us, including the Bengals. We batter and bash individual games during the regular season and I'm not sure why. We'll get to the real season soon enough. And when we roll the dice there we've been successful. Far more successful than the Colts and Pats over time and barely behind the Pats in recent years.

SteelAbility
11-20-2009, 11:59 AM
If you don't understand Ben's comments, then likely you never played anything or were just a random guy on the side.
Some days it is hard to get rolling. Some days its hard to feel like you did in a game when you did great. They have ups and downs, they aren't machines. At least Ben is not. If you ever thing he will be like Manning or Brady, he won't.
Its not his style. Not saying any of the ways are bad. But Ben can have lulls when Peyton normally operates similarly. Peyton is a routine conductor, where Ben is a playmaker and scrapper. Ben will win games he shouldn't and lose games he shouldn't. We've lost 4 games by 14 points or so total.
We get into the playoffs and noone will want to play us, including the Bengals. We batter and bash individual games during the regular season and I'm not sure why. We'll get to the real season soon enough. And when we roll the dice there we've been successful. Far more successful than the Colts and Pats over time and barely behind the Pats in recent years.

:Agree

All except for the part about losing 4 games by 14 points ... 3 games by 12 points ... but I know what you mean. :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
11-20-2009, 01:30 PM

:Agree

All except for the part about losing 4 games by 14 points ... 3 games by 12 points ... but I know what you mean. :wink:

Aggie better not have jinxed us into a 2 point loss this week... :evil:

proudpittsburgher
11-20-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure how people are saying Ben is calling out Ariens. He never said anythign like "Bruce decided to call the plays on the last drive" rather it looks like someone asked him about it, and Ben just responded. Not only that, but even with what he said, he didn't throw him under the bus, and still took the blame for the loss.

steelblood
11-20-2009, 02:08 PM

I understand his comments regarding having a bad day. It is fine to say he had a bad day. I don't think anyone claimed that he was a machine or had to be perfect every week. I'm not sure where you get that.

But, nice weather and a quiet crowd are weak excuses.

NWNewell
11-20-2009, 02:43 PM

If you really want to hate on Ben, then do so. But don't try to make something out of nothing.

When asked a question, he was honest about who called the plays. And he said that he didn't second guess BA and believed in the calls. So, he is saying he believed the calls were correct. He wasn't trying to say he would have done it differently and they would have won if he was calling the plays.

Why is is that people have a hard time enjoying the fact that we have a very good franchise QB that not only has been successful and helped the team earn two superbowls in is 5 years as a starter, but does not point fingers about loses, WR's and QB not being on the same page, and getting sacked a lot. For the most part, he shoulder's as much blame as he possibly can. And also, he turns around and goes out there and fines a way go get another win.

We've got it good with Ben... really good. Just look around the league. Why are people always trying to find the fly $h!t in the pepper.

proudpittsburgher
11-20-2009, 03:00 PM

If you really want to hate on Ben, then do so. But don't try to make something out of nothing.

When asked a question, he was honest about who called the plays. And he said that he didn't second guess BA and believed in the calls. So, he is saying he believed the calls were correct. He wasn't trying to say he would have done it differently and they would have won if he was calling the plays.

Why is is that people have a hard time enjoying the fact that we have a very good franchise QB that not only has been successful and helped the team earn two superbowls in is 5 years as a starter, but does not point fingers about loses, WR's and QB not being on the same page, and getting sacked a lot. For the most part, he shoulder's as much blame as he possibly can. And also, he turns around and goes out there and fines a way go get another win.

We've got it with Ben... really good. Why are people always trying to find the fly $h!t in the pepper.

wex, the answer to your question is that haters will be haters. they feel there is no way they were wrong in their hatred, so they cling to it.

That all being said . . . the fact that Bruce Ariens called the plays on that last drive explains a lot. Not that we weren't successful necessarily, but it just wasn't like us. The bomb to Wallace just seemed very strange into double coverage, given the situation. Also, I don;t remember the last time Ben had a chance to win a game on a last secodn drive,a nd we didn;t move the ball at all. Any time Ben has the ball in his hands in that situation, I really do think we are going to win the game. It just felt way off.