PDA

View Full Version : NFL Films this week

stlrz d
11-18-2009, 11:34 PM
So I'm watching the episode of NFL Films from this week and they're doing a segment on fog machines...players running through fog for intros, etc.

Suddenly as they're showing Kevin Smith of the Lions running (in slo mo) through the fog I hear a familiar voice. Slight 'burgh accent. It's Ed Bouchette.

He says, "I think teams do that when they need something else. You don't see it in Pittsburgh...cuz they don't need it. I mean, they introduce the players and that's enough for Pittsburgh...just to see the players. I think an NFL game's enough. That's why you don't see cheerleaders in Pittsburgh...you don't see smoke...you see pretty good football though."

I think he makes an excellent point...we don't need all that extra BS to get up for games. Funny that I had never really thought about it until I saw this piece and he said it, but he's exactly right. If you need more than the players and the game to get you fired up then you've got problems....

SteelBucks
11-19-2009, 08:34 AM
So I'm watching the episode of NFL Films from this week and they're doing a segment on fog machines...players running through fog for intros, etc.

Suddenly as they're showing Kevin Smith of the Lions running (in slo mo) through the fog I hear a familiar voice. Slight 'burgh accent. It's Ed Bouchette.

He says, "I think teams do that when they need something else. You don't see it in Pittsburgh...cuz they don't need it. I mean, they introduce the players and that's enough for Pittsburgh...just to see the players. I think an NFL game's enough. That's why you don't see cheerleaders in Pittsburgh...you don't see smoke...you see pretty good football though."

I think he makes an excellent point...we don't need all that extra BS to get up for games. Funny that I had never really thought about it until I saw this piece and he said it, but he's exactly right. If you need more than the players and the game to get you fired up then you've got problems....

Then they should also get rid of the BS called Steely McBeam! :wink:

steelblood
11-19-2009, 08:36 AM

I hate all the inflatables that teams put out around the locker room entrance. I hope the Steelers never do that. It looks like a child's party.

stlrz d
11-19-2009, 10:01 AM

I think that was more for generating a little revenue since those mascots are paid to make appearances.

But to further the point, what has been the overwhelming reaction to him? ;)

proudpittsburgher
11-19-2009, 10:29 AM
You could argue that we use renegade as a cheap pick-me-up . . . however, since the video is of the players kicking serious *ss on the field, that should give it a pass. :)

RuthlessBurgher
11-19-2009, 11:08 AM
[quote="stlrz d":35ytmlwt]So I'm watching the episode of NFL Films from this week and they're doing a segment on fog machines...players running through fog for intros, etc.

I think that was more for generating a little revenue since those mascots are paid to make appearances.

But to further the point, what has been the overwhelming reaction to him? ;)[/quote:35ytmlwt]

Yeah, McBeam is for the kids and is not a part of the game day experience at all like some other team mascots. I saw him inside the stadium once at halftime when they had 2 Pop Warner teams playing each other, but that was a few years ago already. We've had Pop Warner halftime games at halftime without him since then. This weekend, we brought out a bunch of kids at halftime for the Punt, Pass, & Kick competition, and they didn't even bring Steely out for that. His only role now is for kids appearances, not for games.

feelthesteel
11-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Stealy for OC?

JTP53609
11-19-2009, 04:12 PM
yea but steelymcbeam is hillarious on wdve in the mornings....he is as drunk as sailor but i dont mind the guy, he is funny...
also funny that i am speaking like he is a real person...

phillyesq
11-19-2009, 05:24 PM
yea but steelymcbeam is hillarious on wdve in the mornings....he is as drunk as sailor but i dont mind the guy, he is funny...
also funny that i am speaking like he is a real person...

The DVE skits with "Steely" are great. The parody of the Reed arrest was great stuff.

flippy
11-19-2009, 05:43 PM

Steely's a little different because he's for the kids.

I liked the Terrible Towel mascot much better. He taught us about the safety of getting on and off the bus.