PDA

View Full Version : If Bruce is such a great coordinator then why...

AngryAsian
11-18-2009, 08:18 AM
is there a website dedicated to him.

http://firebrucearians.com/

Some on the board might be aware of this site, but someone I watched the game with this past Sunday told me about this site and I thought he was joking. I guess I've been under a rock for awhile. I find this absolutely hilarious... but hell, it could be just the execution.

SteelAbility
11-18-2009, 09:28 AM
The part after the "if" is where I have a problem. He's not such a great coordinator. We built up some numbers against some weak teams and somehow that translated into Arians being great. We have yet to put up good numbers against a good D. In my thinking that's when you're great, when you can take, actually not just a good D but a good team with a good D and put it in its place. When a team's O can't sustain drives, your O gets more opportunities and their D tires out. So it has to be a good team with a good D.

Now, that doesn't mean I'm in the "fire him now" camp. It does mean that I don't think he's that great. If you fire him you better have something at least as good or your team starts tumbling down real quick. It's difficult to do that mid-season. Nonetheless, I am a proponent of having a process in-place to explore potential replacements as I think we can do better.

fezziwig
11-18-2009, 09:48 AM
It's funny sad that there is actually a site about him. We win despite Arians and with the talent our offense has, we should be putting up three touchdowns a game, at least.

SidSmythe
11-18-2009, 10:00 AM
was watching the NFL Replay last night.

Rashard flanked out at WR = Sack for Big Ben.

What makes me upset is you know Arians has that in his gameplan but keeps going back to it even though it's a disaster just b/c he "wants" it to work. Well it doesn't dumby!!!

stlrz d
11-18-2009, 10:06 AM
The part after the "if" is where I have a problem. He's not such a great coordinator. We built up some numbers against some weak teams and somehow that translated into Arians being great. We have yet to put up good numbers against a good D. In my thinking that's when you're great, when you can take, actually not just a good D but a good team with a good D and put it in its place. When a team's O can't sustain drives, your O gets more opportunities and their D tires out. So it has to be a good team with a good D.

Now, that doesn't mean I'm in the "fire him now" camp. It does mean that I don't think he's that great. If you fire him you better have something at least as good or your team starts tumbling down real quick. It's difficult to do that mid-season. Nonetheless, I am a proponent of having a process in-place to explore potential replacements as I think we can do better.

I don't care if we only beat good D's by one point...as long as we beat them.

flippy
11-18-2009, 10:08 AM
I don't see anything changing.

Ben likes him. Ben's playing well. And he's won a SuperBowl with him.

fezziwig
11-18-2009, 12:47 PM
flippy said it best

Starlifter
11-18-2009, 12:48 PM
as i've said on numerous occasions. he's the offensive coordinator on the defending SB champions. this off season there were several head coaching changes. BA didn't get any interviews. I guess the NFL isn't so sure either......

fezziwig
11-18-2009, 01:02 PM
as i've said on numerous occasions. he's the offensive coordinator on the defending SB champions. this off season there were several head coaching changes. BA didn't get any interviews. I guess the NFL isn't so sure either......

The NFL is sure............. They are sure enough not to hire him as a HC and sure enough, his name never ever even gets thrown into the ring of suggesting, some team might want him.
Even Al Davis hasn't offered him a job.

We win despite BA.
I remember back when he was Clevelands OC and I would think, thank God their OC is so damn stupid with some of the stuff they try.
Those Cleveland games I'm talking about with Arians as the OC, the Browns would try some plays that the Steelers could blow up and then, they would try other plays with success. Seemed everytime the Browns had our defense on the ropes and were ready to put us away, Arians would call a play, he knew they couldn't run against us. He would call a play that hasn't been working all day. I would say to myself, had they continued to run the plays that got them yardage and success, we've would have lost.

There are people in this world that go against better judgement just to see if they can force their will. Knowing they will probably fell, they have to try anyway. This I believe is the type of person Arians is. I think ben tolerates him because, Ben knows he's smarter than Arians.

RuthlessBurgher
11-18-2009, 01:50 PM

Bruce Arians is 57 years old, and his only head coaching experience is with Temple in the 80's.

If you are an owner looking for a new head coach, you are either looking for the next young hotshot (like Tomlin or Harbaugh) or you are looking for one of the older guys with Super Bowl rings (like Shanahan, Holmgren, or Cowher).

SteelAbility
11-18-2009, 01:55 PM

I don't care if we only beat good D's by one point...as long as we beat them.

Hey, I agree. I'm just not ready to annoint BA as great until we can significantly outdo the average yards-against and/or offensive-points-allowed with a good D.

fezziwig
11-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Crap ! I wish some team would start a new trend with Arians.

steelz09
11-18-2009, 03:50 PM
One of Coach Tomlins worst coaching decisions thus far is not replacing Bruce Arians when he had the ability to replace him with someone that is much more of a quality offensive coordinator... Cam Cameron

Cam Cameron was available 2 years ago and the Steelers let him pass by and sign with the Ravens. I would love to see Cam Cameron manage the offensive play calling of the Steelers especially with the players we have at "skill positions". I really can't think of a team that has better players at the offensive skills positions than the Steelers but yet at times, it loooks like we have some of the worst given our offensive productivity at times. That's what is more frustrating than anything when watching this offense.

ikestops85
11-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Crap ! I wish some team would start a new trend with Arians.

Al Davis is still alive (at least that's the rumor) so we still have a chance. Hmmm, I wonder what BA runs the 40 in? :lol:

SidSmythe
11-18-2009, 07:24 PM
I don't see anything changing.

Ben likes him. Ben's playing well. And he's won a SuperBowl with him.

I agree.
All ARIANS has to do to make me happy is quick going empty backfield and run on 2nd down at least 33% of the time.

Flasteel
11-18-2009, 09:21 PM

Some on the board might be aware of this site, but someone I watched the game with this past Sunday told me about this site and I thought he was joking. I guess I've been under a rock for awhile. I find this absolutely hilarious... but hell, it could be just the execution.

Ha! I joined that site over a year ago.

Unfortunately I agree with Flip...Arians is going nowhere as long as he has Ben's support. That support may begin to wane if BA's slow to pull the trigger on the no-huddle. Ben clearly loves it and probably won't be too happy if he continually has his hands tied by calls from the sideline.

sd steel
11-19-2009, 12:10 AM

Unfortunately I agree with Flip...Arians is going nowhere as long as he has Ben's support. That support may begin to wane if BA's slow to pull the trigger on the no-huddle. Ben clearly loves it and probably won't be too happy if he continually has his hands tied by calls from the sideline.

Who do you really think calls the shots on this offense, Mr. no Authority, BA, or the Million Dollar man 2 time Super Bowl Champion QB, Big Ben?

Honestly, do you think if Ben said I want to go no huddle, that BA says "no son, I run the offense around here"! "But Mr. Arians, you know we need a fullback, and we should be running more screens." Ben, I am an offensive genius, don't question what I call, or I will have you benched!" "Now quit studying that film and take the oline to the bar and get drunk and bang a skank'! "Ok MR. A, but please don't call all those bad plays next game so i have to hold on to the ball for 8 seconds because you won't let me hit a short route."

Don't fool yourself, if Ben wants to run something it will be run. He runs the team, just like he runs the town, and BA is just a shield.

stlrz d
11-19-2009, 12:12 AM
You are turning into a troll.

sd steel
11-19-2009, 12:26 AM
You are turning into a troll.

Why because you don't agree with me? I have been a huge Steeler fan for 40 years, and have watched every game preseason, regular season, and postseason since 1994. I love the Steelers, but I'm a troll, because you don't what I think? I don't bash the Steelers, why am I a troll?

Flasteel
11-19-2009, 12:35 AM

Who do you really think calls the shots on this offense, Mr. no Authority, BA, or the Million Dollar man 2 time Super Bowl Champion QB, Big Ben?

Honestly, do you think if Ben said I want to go no huddle, that BA says "no son, I run the offense around here"! "But Mr. Arians, you know we need a fullback, and we should be running more screens." Ben, I am an offensive genius, don't question what I call, or I will have you benched!" "Now quit studying that film and take the oline to the bar and get drunk and bang a skank'! "Ok MR. A, but please don't call all those bad plays next game so i have to hold on to the ball for 8 seconds because you won't let me hit a short route."

Don't fool yourself, if Ben wants to run something it will be run. He runs the team, just like he runs the town, and BA is just a shield.

Ben doesn't have a microphone in his helmet, he's got speakers. Arians tells him information and gives hm plays to run. Obviously Ben has the green light to audible if he sees something pre-snap and of course he goes through his progressions once the ball is snapped. He has a great dal of input as to where the ball will go...especially when a pass play is called.

However, the ebb and flow of plays when we are in our regular offense comes from BA. When we run, where we run, adjusting to pressure, or calling plays based on the opposition's down and distance tendecies. The pass plays he calls give Ben his first read and if Arians knows what he's doing, the primary receiver should have a match-up advantage.

Ben is going to let Arians do his job unless he sees something out there that he can point out in film sessions on Monday that made him change a play at the line.

Do you really think he just audibles out of anything he likes based on the offense being stagnant all day? I guarantee he was waitning for the words "no-huddle" to come over his speakers and I'll bet he was in Arians ear when they were on the sidelines.

BURGH86STEEL
11-19-2009, 12:48 AM

Ben doesn't have a microphone in his helmet, he's got speakers. Arians tells him information and gives hm plays to run. Obviously Ben has the green light to audible if he sees something pre-snap and of course he goes through his progressions once the ball is snapped. He has a great dal of input as to where the ball will go...especially when a pass play is called.

However, the ebb and flow of plays when we are in our regular offense comes from BA. When we run, where we run, adjusting to pressure, or calling plays based on the opposition's down and distance tendecies. The pass plays he calls give Ben his first read and if Arians knows what he's doing, the primary receiver should have a match-up advantage.

Ben is going to let Arians do his job unless he sees something out there that he can point out in film sessions on Monday that made him change a play at the line.

Do you really think he just audibles out of anything he likes based on the offense being stagnant all day? I guarantee he was waitning for the words "no-huddle" to come over his speakers and I'll bet he was in Arians ear when they were on the sidelines.

Again, there are so many factors that go into a given play. We cannot simplify it by saying the primary WR should have a match up advantage. We may never know who is the primary WR for a given play. A lot depends on what the defense does. That's why there is usually more then one WR going out on patterns.

The offense was not stagnant against the Bengals. They were down in the red zone more then once. They probably felt there was no need to go no huddle. There was a need for Ben to get out of the funk he was in. I think the coaches hoped he would play himself out of that funk. It did not happen. Hopefully, Ben can play better this week.

sd steel
11-19-2009, 01:00 AM

Honestly I think BA and ben work as a team. If ben was unsatisfied with what BA was doing, he wouldn't be here. We won a Super Bowl last year, maybe even despite BA like many here seem to think, but we have alot more success than most teams. But I can make assupmtions regarding who the man behind the curtain is, who is putting together the game plan, who is calling the plays and who is making the adjustments justs like everyone else does. I see BA as a glorified QB coach who does make play calls, but i think that these calls were probably discussed and approved by Tomlin and Ben during gameplanning sessions and thoughout the course of a game. BA holds the sheet, and reads to ben what was approved for whatever situation. If BA was just calling plays out of his own head why does he need the big sheet-o-plays? He'd be calling them off the top of his head.

Here is another thought on this, if everyone , Tomlin and Ben, thought that we are super successful with a fullback, or running the no-huddle all the time, do you really think that they would give BA the authority to say, "Nope we are running what I say"? As much as you guys dislike and think BA is a big dic, he is not the dictater of this offense.

SteelAbility
11-19-2009, 08:13 AM
What we need is an additional "Red Zone" OC. :moon

stlrz d
11-19-2009, 09:52 AM
[quote="stlrz d":w74fdakq]You are turning into a troll.

Why because you don't agree with me? I have been a huge Steeler fan for 40 years, and have watched every game preseason, regular season, and postseason since 1994. I love the Steelers, but I'm a troll, because you don't what I think? I don't bash the Steelers, why am I a troll?[/quote:w74fdakq]

No, because of the extent you go to in your efforts to insult the intelligence of others because they don't agree with you.

You've said you're a coach...so it doesn't surprise me at all why you are on the coach's side of this...and why because you're a coach you pull out the "most of you have probably never even played or coached and you all sound like my mom" crap.

sd steel
11-19-2009, 12:29 PM
[quote="sd steel":1s1yqun7][quote="stlrz d":1s1yqun7]You are turning into a troll.

Why because you don't agree with me? I have been a huge Steeler fan for 40 years, and have watched every game preseason, regular season, and postseason since 1994. I love the Steelers, but I'm a troll, because you don't what I think? I don't bash the Steelers, why am I a troll?[/quote:1s1yqun7]

No, because of the extent you go to in your efforts to insult the intelligence of others because they don't agree with you.

You've said you're a coach...so it doesn't surprise me at all why you are on the coach's side of this...and why because you're a coach you pull out the "most of you have probably never even played or coached and you all sound like my mom" crap.[/quote:1s1yqun7]

Can I help it if you sound like my Mom? Now if you could only make perogies like my Mom!!

Lonbull
11-19-2009, 08:58 PM
A find it mindnumbing that this arguement continues to resurface and that for the most part fans are "only" focused on Bruce Arians.

For the most part I agree with SD Steel / and Flippy.

Bruce "works" in this current system and that's probably why his job isn't in much jeopardy.

Ben has publicly stated that he calls 40% of his own plays - and from what I've seen it appears to me that Arians is there to give Ben another set of eyes to help him call the best plays. As is Mike Tomlin I'm sure.

The reason they probably didn't bring in a guy like Cameron is that it's likely he's going to be given another Head Coaching shot in the near future and with as many coaching chances as there were this past season - perhaps they thought Cameron would have already been picked up by now.

Another factor that seems to be getting lost in all of this - is how ineffecient our Offensive Line has been over the past few years. If we're winning in spite of something it's certainly been more about winning inspite of our horrid Offensive Line then the play-calling (which again I'll remind you is being called by Ben 40% of the time).

I do think our Offensive Line is improving but against Cincinnati Mendenhall averaged a pathetic 2.7 yards per carry.

I think there's a lot of factors at play here -

L.B.

BURGH86STEEL
11-19-2009, 10:13 PM
A find it mindnumbing that this arguement continues to resurface and that for the most part fans are "only" focused on Bruce Arians.

For the most part I agree with SD Steel / and Flippy.

Bruce "works" in this current system and that's probably why his job isn't in much jeopardy.

Ben has publicly stated that he calls 40% of his own plays - and from what I've seen it appears to me that Arians is there to give Ben another set of eyes to help him call the best plays. As is Mike Tomlin I'm sure.

The reason they probably didn't bring in a guy like Cameron is that it's likely he's going to be given another Head Coaching shot in the near future and with as many coaching chances as there were this past season - perhaps they thought Cameron would have already been picked up by now.

Another factor that seems to be getting lost in all of this - is how ineffecient our Offensive Line has been over the past few years. If we're winning in spite of something it's certainly been more about winning inspite of our horrid Offensive Line then the play-calling (which again I'll remind you is being called by Ben 40% of the time).

I do think our Offensive Line is improving but against Cincinnati Mendenhall averaged a pathetic 2.7 yards per carry.

I think there's a lot of factors at play here -

L.B.

How and why do these things pick up steam? Was it because of the offensive performance last year? If so, the Oline was in a state of transition and the QB was inconsistent. Was it because he use to coach the Browns? That one is a classic.

I agree that there are always a lot of factors at play. How Arians became the main focus is beyond me.

Djfan
11-20-2009, 12:16 AM
He bacame the main focus because we seemingly underacheive on O consistantly.

Asian - I have posted that site on here many times, even last Sunday afternoon. I haven't joined, but wish the Rooneys would!

Whatever happened to "The Buck Stops Here!" mentality of leadership? If it exists in the Steelers organization BA has some legit questions to answer IMO.

sd steel
11-20-2009, 12:40 AM
He bacame the main focus because we seemingly underacheive on O consistantly.

Asian - I have posted that site on here many times, even last Sunday afternoon. I haven't joined, but wish the Rooneys would!

Whatever happened to "The Buck Stops Here!" mentality of leadership? If it exists in the Steelers organization BA has some legit questions to answer IMO.

The problem is that it's not Arians Offense, it's Ben's. Bruce Arians is not a leader, he helps Ben with the offense.

If you want Ben to be mentioned as a top tier QB, when the offense sucks he is the one to blame. If the Colts lose, it's on Peyton, if the Pats* lose it's on Brady, hell if the Raiders lose it's on Russell, but when we lose a majority of our fans blame Arians.

Do you see what's wrong with the picture?

Now last year we had a big oline issue, and I didn't have problems throwing blame at an inexperience and young Oline, but the line isn't the issue this year.

I watch every game over and over, and it's obvious to see that when we fail on offense, it normally isn't because of the play call, it's because someone isn't executing. Alot of times that someone is Ben, missing his read, or holding the ball too long or not finding the open receiver etc. He should know this offense, his reads and his check downs, and even his backside routes like the back of his hand, being that he help redevelop the offense, and he helps create the game plan. Problem is he doesn't.

Here is my deal, I have no hate for any member of this organization, and I don't really root for specific players, because they come and go, I root for Pittsburgh and the colors, so I feel obligated to set haters and lovers straight regarding what i think is happeneing on the field on the sideline, and in the locker room. So if i don't agree with you, or if you don't agree with my perception, fine. I'm just telling you what I'm seeing and what I know. I'm as big of a Steeler fan as you will find, and I hate losses as much if not more than anyone on this board, but I also know alot about football, and coaching, and organizations. So don't take it personal if I don't see it your way. :Cheers

Djfan
11-20-2009, 03:13 AM
The problem is that it's not Arians Offense, it's Ben's. Bruce Arians is not a leader, he helps Ben with the offense.

If you want Ben to be mentioned as a top tier QB, when the offense sucks he is the one to blame. If the Colts lose, it's on Peyton, if the Pats* lose it's on Brady, hell if the Raiders lose it's on Russell, but when we lose a majority of our fans blame Arians.

Now last year we had a big oline issue, and I didn't have problems throwing blame at an inexperience and young Oline, but the line isn't the issue this year.

I watch every game over and over, and it's obvious to see that when we fail on offense, it normally isn't because of the play call, it's because someone isn't executing. Alot of times that someone is Ben, missing his read, or holding the ball too long or not finding the open receiver etc. He should know this offense, his reads and his check downs, and even his backside routes like the back of his hand, being that he help redevelop the offense, and he helps create the game plan. Problem is he doesn't.

Here is my deal, I have no hate for any member of this organization, and I don't really root for specific players, because they come and go, I root for Pittsburgh and the colors, so I feel obligated to set haters and lovers straight regarding what i think is happeneing on the field on the sideline, and in the locker room. So if i don't agree with you, or if you don't agree with my perception, fine. I'm just telling you what I'm seeing and what I know. I'm as big of a Steeler fan as you will find, and I hate losses as much if not more than anyone on this board, but I also know alot about football, and coaching, and organizations. So don't take it personal if I don't see it your way. :Cheers

I still maintain that this is a big leap in order to defend BA, and little else.

BURGH86STEEL
11-20-2009, 07:46 AM

I still maintain that this is a big leap in order to defend BA, and little else.

I don't believe that is the case. I can care less about who they bring in here as the OC. If they keep Arians I am fine with that. If they let Arians go I am fine with that too. People always question the play calling. That will never ever stop.

I have a feeling that some of the issues on this offense will never go away. I believe some of the issues start with the QB. When he plays well, the offense looks unstoppable. When he plays poorly, we see the results. It is not like this is the first time he has played poorly. He had games where he played poorly under Whiz. He will have games where he plays poorly in the future.

Ultimately, the buck stops with Tomlin. I think Tomlin understands that the offense is making strides in the right direction. Now they need to develop more consistency. Execute better and stop making dumb mistakes.