PDA

View Full Version : The Genius Going For It

BradshawsHairdresser
11-18-2009, 12:07 AM
He's been getting ripped royally for the past couple of days.

I wasn't sure who I wanted to cheer against in that game, but that was so funny to see the *'s go down like that...I haven't laughed that hard in awhile. The look on Belichek's face afterward...priceless! Couldn't have happened to a more deserving fellow.

SteelAbility
11-18-2009, 07:41 PM
I was rooting for the Colts all the way their. Lower chance of #1 seed but better chance at a 1st round bye. Besides my 2nd priority after the Steelers winning is the Patriots' losing.

Starlifter
11-19-2009, 12:59 AM
it was a terrible decision and he deserves all the crap for it he gets. i'm kinda forced to wonder though, what are the odds of manning getting a score knowing he has 4 shots every series to get the first down? barring penalties or turnovers (which may very well happen, that's why you kick) do you think the colts would have scored anyway? i think that's why BB made the call. hysterical though to see how it worked out.

frankthetank1
11-19-2009, 08:12 AM
it was a terrible decision and he deserves all the crap for it he gets. i'm kinda forced to wonder though, what are the odds of manning getting a score knowing he has 4 shots every series to get the first down? barring penalties or turnovers (which may very well happen, that's why you kick) do you think the colts would have scored anyway? i think that's why BB made the call. hysterical though to see how it worked out.

exactly why give the colts 30 yards to get in the end zone instead of 60 or 70? it was a stupid call to go for it. he obviously has no faith in his defense

SteelBucks
11-19-2009, 08:30 AM

exactly why give the colts 30 yards to get in the end zone instead of 60 or 70? it was a stupid call to go for it. he obviously has no faith in his defense

I believe he made that call totally to stroke his supersized ego. His belief is that every decision he makes will turn to gold. I totally enjoyed seeing Belicheck and Brady go down that way.....Priceless!

SteelAbility
11-19-2009, 08:46 AM

This question assumes that giving them the ball at the 30 is a given. You give them a CHANCE at getting at the 30. The idea is that if you convert, they have no chance to take the game. That's the tradeoff. Otherwise you give an "almost certain" chance 40 yards further away.

I watched that replay about 10 times. I'm a card-carrying member of the "Hate All Things Patriots" club. But I believe the Patriots got screwed on the spot of the ball. Faulk made first contact with the ball at the 30.5 yard line. He bobbled it losing about maybe one foot before he secured it. The defender contacted him, it looked like to me, VERY soon thereafter, just a bit past the 30. The ball got spotted at the 29.5. According to the rules, once you secure the ball, you get credit for the progress point at the moment the defender contacts you, because backward motion is deemed to be involuntary due to the defender's contacting you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KKfJQpuM1o

Freeze the video at about 2:21 or 2:22. You'll see Faulk has the ball a bit beyond the 30 and the defender is contacting him.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a video of this from the End Zone view (the EZ behind the Patriots). However, they showed it several times on TV and you can clearly see that Faulk bobbled the ball once, immediately secured it and was contacted by the defender. He did not bobble the ball all the way to the ground as implied by the announcers using the word, bobbling.

Don't get me wrong. I hate the Pats and am glad it shaked out that way. But I still think they got screwed.

proudpittsburgher
11-19-2009, 10:43 AM
I think the Pats* got screwed on the spot and the fact they couldn't challenge it. That being said, it still was a poor decision. The only people defending it at this point are madden players who would do it on the video game. But more and more people are coming out of the woodwork defending it, including Merril Hoge, which gripes me. Either way, the other stupid decision on that drive was not letting addai score on the run, giving the Pats* more time on offense. If it was questionable that the Colts would score from the 30, there was no question at all that they would score from the 1, and the Pats* had less time to do anything about it. Just let him score and take the ball back.

RuthlessBurgher
11-19-2009, 11:13 AM
I mentioned in another thread somewhere that if Tom Cable or Jim Zorn made the exact same decision in the exact same situation, there wouldn't be any analysts coming out of the woodwork to defend the call. Everyone would just call the coach an idiot and move on like they did when Marty Morhinweg chose to send out his defense for overtime.

frankthetank1
11-19-2009, 12:10 PM

This question assumes that giving them the ball at the 30 is a given. You give them a CHANCE at getting at the 30. The idea is that if you convert, they have no chance to take the game. That's the tradeoff. Otherwise you give an "almost certain" chance 40 yards further away.

I watched that replay about 10 times. I'm a card-carrying member of the "Hate All Things Patriots" club. But I believe the Patriots got screwed on the spot of the ball. Faulk made first contact with the ball at the 30.5 yard line. He bobbled it losing about maybe one foot before he secured it. The defender contacted him, it looked like to me, VERY soon thereafter, just a bit past the 30. The ball got spotted at the 29.5. According to the rules, once you secure the ball, you get credit for the progress point at the moment the defender contacts you, because backward motion is deemed to be involuntary due to the defender's contacting you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KKfJQpuM1o

Freeze the video at about 2:21 or 2:22. You'll see Faulk has the ball a bit beyond the 30 and the defender is contacting him.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a video of this from the End Zone view (the EZ behind the Patriots). However, they showed it several times on TV and you can clearly see that Faulk bobbled the ball once, immediately secured it and was contacted by the defender. He did not bobble the ball all the way to the ground as implied by the announcers using the word, bobbling.

Don't get me wrong. I hate the Pats and am glad it shaked out that way. But I still think they got screwed.

i understand if you get the first down the game is over and yea they got screwed but that is the risk you take by going for it. if you go for it and dont make it its pretty certain the colts are going to win. at least if you punt the ball you have some kind of chance. its a huge gamble so why take it?