PDA

View Full Version : Execution vs Gameplan

NorthCoast
11-17-2009, 08:44 PM
The whole 'execution' vs gameplan arguments are bothersome. I am not sure I have reached a good verdict. For example, does execution assume you can plug any player in a position and get equal output? This is obviously folly. Therefore does not gameplan require one to know the skill sets of players to put them in the best positions? Is Spaeth a better pass catcher than Miller? Does it make sense to put Harrison in coverage more than rushing the QB? I think it still requires maximizing player skills, it CAN'T be execution only. If that was the case, you would only need one play in your play book and just focus on executing it perfectly every time.

On the other hand, I recall many of the dynasty games of the Steelers where their run game was absolutely dominant. Many games, it was a case where the opponent KNEW we were going to run, the fans KNEW we were going to run, the announcers KNEW we were going to run, and damn if we didn't run and run well. So execution has to play a part. Maybe it is a case where average players can look great with a good gameplan but great players with an average gameplan will look average??

Someone straighten this out, please.

SidSmythe
11-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Execution is a must and trumps any gameplan. But some game plans are just harder to execute. Like motioning ur RB out to flanker and expecting the O-Line to pick up the blitz w/out help.

Gameplans are overrated, b/c if it doesn't work, you have to change things on the move. Putting your guys in a position to succeed, but only if they execute.

sd steel
11-18-2009, 01:00 AM
The whole 'execution' vs gameplan arguments are bothersome. I am not sure I have reached a good verdict. For example, does execution assume you can plug any player in a position and get equal output? This is obviously folly. Therefore does not gameplan require one to know the skill sets of players to put them in the best positions? Is Spaeth a better pass catcher than Miller? Does it make sense to put Harrison in coverage more than rushing the QB? I think it still requires maximizing player skills, it CAN'T be execution only. If that was the case, you would only need one play in your play book and just focus on executing it perfectly every time.

On the other hand, I recall many of the dynasty games of the Steelers where their run game was absolutely dominant. Many games, it was a case where the opponent KNEW we were going to run, the fans KNEW we were going to run, the announcers KNEW we were going to run, and damn if we didn't run and run well. So execution has to play a part. Maybe it is a case where average players can look great with a good gameplan but great players with an average gameplan will look average??

Someone straighten this out, please.

Your first assumption is correct, if a player can execute his assignment on a given play, no matter who the player, you will get equal output.
As far as the one play executed perfectly everytime theory, it was what Lombardi was known for. Obviously they ran more than one play, but he felt that his power was his best play, he would even let you know where it was going and it was still successful. Nothing is more demoralizing for a defense to know what you are going to do, and still not be able to stop it.