PDA

View Full Version : I know we're feeling down now...

NC Steeler Fan
11-17-2009, 02:29 PM
But, I can guarrantee a cure for what ails Steeler Nation at the moment.

I just watched "Brothers and Champions" the story of the 2008 Steelers and it had
such a profound effect on me I felt compelled to post and try to provide a different
perspective right now on the team we all love so much.

As I watched the 2008 season unfold, I saw us overcome obstacle after obstacle; not
unlike the 2005 season where we had to win out and backed into the playoffs as a #6
seed on the road.

I saw us face adversity with a tenacity that send shivers up my spine. The swagger of
the D, the unrelenting confidence of the O under mounting criticism and the commentary
of the media on our sheer determination as the season unfolded swelled my heart with pride.

And, yes, I thought too, as I watched greatness unfolding, about the adversity of the past week's game.

How we could have and should have, with all the talent we have, won that game handily. And the frustration was as fresh as the moment the clock ticked down to zero on Sunday.

But then something happened.

I was watching the up close replay of the face of Polamalu as he ran back that INT for
six against the ravens to send us to the Super Bowl and I saw Franco Harris.

I saw the drama and achievement of the 70's Steelers in this team of today.

And, that's when I realized I was watching not just a replay of a game from last year, I was experiencing a season of football, yet again, played by a team that is sheer
greatness in the making. A team that rivals the Steelers of the 70's in terms of character, adversity and both accomplishment and potential for accomplishment.

If they believe.

If we believe.

We may not win the SB every year, but this team since Ben took over, with it's cast of characters, some who have come and gone and some who will retire Black and Gold, is
something to cherish.

We should savor these times; the good and the bad. History is often filled with the
highlights, but the pain of loss was there too and WAS just as real as it is now.

So, hold your head up Steeler Nation!

Aw, hell, go put on a replay of last year, 05/06 or the first four SBs and remember
you are a fan of the greatest team on earth, come hell or high water. And, we're all
living through greatness together as we speak!

GO STEELERS!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
11-17-2009, 02:37 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/ross_tucker/10/08/tucks.takes/steelers-fans.jpg

Adversity in the regular season helps build team character for the post-season. Experiencing our share of trials and tribulations in 2005 as well as last season helped to develop our iron will in those playoff runs. Games like this hurt now, but may benefit us in the long run, as we learn about what needs to get done over the next 7 weeks to prepare us for the true test. When New England went 16-0 in the regular season, the fact that they never had to overcome adversity as a team during the season bit them in the @$$ when all of the chips were down on the big stage. We won't win every game, but having twice as many wins as losses at this point gives us confidence going forward as well as a blueprint we can use to get better from this point on in order to peak at the right time.

NW Steeler
11-17-2009, 02:44 PM
NC, I have only one thing to say:

:Bow
:Clap
:tt1
:tt2
:Cheers

Well, I guess that is 5 things...

Great post!

JTP53609
11-17-2009, 02:46 PM
i see alot of similarities of last years team to this years team, that bengal loss on sunday reminded me of the philly loss, just bad execution on offense and the defense played well enough to win, but never made the big play, our offense is dominant at times and phantomish at times, just like last year......i really do think we are better but the problem is, other teams are better too...

ikestops85
11-17-2009, 02:53 PM
I remember feeling like this last year after the Philly game. They had just dismantled us and I didn't see how we could fix everything that was wrong with the offense.

Now that I think about it I'm not nearly as down this year. We still have a great shot at the playoffs and NCSF has made an inspiring post. Go Steelers!!

:Boobs

SteelCrazy
11-17-2009, 03:33 PM
I love that video! Got mine at a McDonald's.......I'm lovin' it!

Starlifter
11-17-2009, 03:45 PM
in 2005 we were 7-5 and had to win out. superbowl XL champions

in 2008 we were in control the whole way and had a much easier road to the dance. superbowl XLIII champions

this team knows they can get it done regardless of the path. even if we end up the #6 seed, it's a great opportunity. trust me, regardless of the seed, no one wants to see us in the playoffs....

Wolfhound45
11-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Super post NC Steeler Fan! She shoots, she scores!

I now officially and publicly withdraw my "gutless" comment. The heat of the moment (and a tremendous sinus headache) made me lose sight of how great this team can be.

:Steel

RuthlessBurgher
11-17-2009, 04:43 PM

They gave away that DVD as we were leaving the Cleveland game (the game where I met NC Steeler Fan in the upper deck bleachers), but since my son and I hung around for a while after the game taking pictures in the Great Hall and in the Walk of Fame, by the time we left the stadium, they were out of DVD's. And they don't have them in the NEPA McDonald's, only the SWPA McDonald's. D@mmit!!! :evil:

skyhawk
11-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks for that.

I DO feel better now after traveling 2500 miles for the game and experiencing one of the worst Steeler days of my life. Ugh.

NC Steeler Fan
11-17-2009, 05:34 PM

They gave away that DVD as we were leaving the Cleveland game (the game where I met NC Steeler Fan in the upper deck bleachers), but since my son and I hung around for a while after the game taking pictures in the Great Hall and in the Walk of Fame, by the time we left the stadium, they were out of DVD's. And they don't have them in the NEPA McDonald's, only the SWPA McDonald's. D@mmit!!! :evil:

You just need to have a Steeler godfather in da burgh like I do to pick up stuff like that and send it to you.... :D

NW Steeler
11-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks for that.

I DO feel better now after traveling 2500 miles for the game and experiencing one of the worst Steeler days of my life. Ugh.

I feel your pain Skyhawk, I also traveled all the way from WA state last year for the Colts game. The experience was awesome though. Was that you first trip to the 'burgh?

skyhawk
11-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks for that.

I feel your pain Skyhawk, I also traveled all the way from WA state last year for the Colts game. The experience was awesome though. Was that you first trip to the 'burgh?

It was my sixth trip to the Burgh. I have seen 4 games at three Rivers (including the 1995 AFC championship vs the Colts) and the Chargers and now the Bengals at Heinz game. I have also been to 4 Steelers games in Cincy (I used to live in Southern Indiana), a game each in Chicago, Memphis, and Seattle.

It was certainly a day long trip there and back. A victory would have made it easier.

NW Steeler
11-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks for that.

It was my sixth trip to the Burgh. I have seen 4 games at three Rivers (including the 1995 AFC championship vs the Colts) and the Chargers and now the Bengals at Heinz game. I have also been to 4 Steelers games in Cincy (I used to live in Southern Indiana), a game each in Chicago, Memphis, and Seattle.

It was certainly a day long trip there and back. A victory would have made it easier.

Friggin' sweet! That trip is a haul from out here.

flippy
11-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Good stuff. Although I have to admit, I don't feel down after a loss by this team. I've got my eyes on the playoffs and building something better before then.

Djfan
11-17-2009, 09:51 PM
"No one wants to see us in the playoffs."

I feel that way. I don't know if the others do right now though. We will be a force to be sure. No one is counting us out though.

fordfixer
11-17-2009, 10:44 PM
But, I can guarrantee a cure for what ails Steeler Nation at the moment.

I just watched "Brothers and Champions" the story of the 2008 Steelers and it had
such a profound effect on me I felt compelled to post and try to provide a different
perspective right now on the team we all love so much.

As I watched the 2008 season unfold, I saw us overcome obstacle after obstacle; not
unlike the 2005 season where we had to win out and backed into the playoffs as a #6
seed on the road.

I saw us face adversity with a tenacity that send shivers up my spine. The swagger of
the D, the unrelenting confidence of the O under mounting criticism and the commentary
of the media on our sheer determination as the season unfolded swelled my heart with pride.

And, yes, I thought too, as I watched greatness unfolding, about the adversity of the past week's game.

How we could have and should have, with all the talent we have, won that game handily. And the frustration was as fresh as the moment the clock ticked down to zero on Sunday.

But then something happened.

I was watching the up close replay of the face of Polamalu as he ran back that INT for
six against the ravens to send us to the Super Bowl and I saw Franco Harris.

I saw the drama and achievement of the 70's Steelers in this team of today.

And, that's when I realized I was watching not just a replay of a game from last year, I was experiencing a season of football, yet again, played by a team that is sheer
greatness in the making. A team that rivals the Steelers of the 70's in terms of character, adversity and both accomplishment and potential for accomplishment.

If they believe.

If we believe.

We may not win the SB every year, but this team since Ben took over, with it's cast of characters, some who have come and gone and some who will retire Black and Gold, is
something to cherish.

We should savor these times; the good and the bad. History is often filled with the
highlights, but the pain of loss was there too and WAS just as real as it is now.

So, hold your head up Steeler Nation!

Aw, hell, go put on a replay of last year, 05/06 or the first four SBs and remember
you are a fan of the greatest team on earth, come hell or high water. And, we're all
living through greatness together as we speak!

GO STEELERS!!!!!

Thanks NC I feel better now :tt1 :Clap :Clap

MeetJoeGreene
11-18-2009, 09:18 AM
We shouldn't feel down from this one game (no matter how bad it seems).

So... we laid a turd.

Even the 70s teams laid turds now and then.

The 79 team got SPANKED by Cincy about halfway through the season.

I will only get down/worried if it turns into a pattern...

If we split with Baltimore and win the rest (which is VERY doable). .. we are in good shape.

SteelAbility
11-18-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm not feeling down. In fact quite the opposite. Last year we had a miserable game against the Eagles. The fact is that despite a totally miserable offensive performance, we still had a chance at the end of the game. Same here. Miserable O. Spotted a precious TD in a game where every play/yard counted and we still had a chance at the end. After we get some time to dot some i-s and cross some t-s and add some punctuation marks, I like our chances.