PDA

View Full Version : Troy's injury update

PSU_dropout43
11-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Wexell tweeter -

Tomlin: Troy's injury is a PCL strain, not a re-injury to MCL.

SteelBucks
11-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Polamalu questionable for Steelers game Sunday
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Safety Troy Polamalu has what coach Mike Tomlin called a strained PCL in his left knee and will be listed as questionable for the Steelers' game in Kansas City Sunday.

Tomlin would not venture a guess on how long Polamalu will be out but said there was no setback to his previous injury in the left knee, a MCL. Tomlin said the Steelers will let the injury run its course and see what happens as the week goes on.

"Everyone's initial response was that it was a re-injury; that is not the case,'' Tomlin said.

Polamalu missed games two through five with his first knee injury. He left Sunday's game after the first series with his latest injury.

skyhawk
11-17-2009, 06:48 PM
I would imagine a strained PCL is due to an overall weakened knee due to the MCL injury, (not to mention the separate injury that wasn't related to the MCL).

This is 3 different injuries to the same knee. Definitely not good news.

This could be an ongoing problem for Troy. A real tragedy I think.

fezziwig
11-17-2009, 06:55 PM
I would imagine a strained PCL is due to an overall weakened knee due to the MCL injury, (not to mention the separate injury that wasn't related to the MCL).

I agree it is a terrible thing for Troy. When you say an ongoing problem, do you mean for the season or his career ?

skyhawk
11-17-2009, 07:15 PM

I agree it is a terrible thing for Troy. When you say an ongoing problem, do you mean for the season or his career ?

I am thinking for his career. I think he has become injury prone. I think when even an elite athlete has an injury like this, they are never the same. Although I am hoping he is a freak physically like Rod Woodson who had a major MCL tear and came back to have just as dominating of a career (even though he played with the Ravens :HeadBanger

RuthlessBurgher
11-18-2009, 01:46 AM
Troy is a different cat than most football players. Most football players lift a whole bunch of weights, which builds muscle but does not increase flexibility. Instead of lifting weights, Troy does a whole lot of stretching exercises and resistance training to increase his overall flexibility instead of increasing muscle mass. I'm not his doctor or anything, so this is mere speculation, but I think this type of flexibility training actually helped prevent him from having a catastrophic season-ending type of knee injury. I think his body will be able to come back from this.

fordfixer
11-18-2009, 04:18 AM
Steelers' Polamalu shouldn't miss much time
By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 17, 2009

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 53527.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_653527.html)

Troy Polamalu is unlikely to play Sunday in Kansas City but the strong safety is not expected to be sidelined for a significant period of time after re-injuring his left knee in the Steelers' 18-12 loss to the Bengals.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Polamalu sustained a sprain of his posterior cruciate ligament in the first quarter against the Cincinnati Bengals. The injury, Tomlin said, is not as serious as the medial collateral ligament sprain that Polamalu suffered in the Steelers' season opener.

Polamalu missed four games because of the MCL sprain.

"It's not a re-injury," Tomlin said today at his weekly news conference.

Tomlin said Polamalu is "probably questionable at best" to play against the Chiefs. But, Tomlin added, the Steelers are "more encouraged than I think initially" in regard to Polamalu's prognosis.

Tomlin said he talked with Polamalu, who had an MRI take on his left knee, yesterday.

"He's in a great frame or mind," Tomlin said. "He feels really good. We're going to take it by day."

In other Steelers news, the team has signed Donovan Woods from the practice and released Arnold Harrison.

The Steelers made the move in an attempt to shore up their kickoff coverage teams. The Steelers have allowed three kickoff returns for touchdowns in their last four games.

fezziwig
11-18-2009, 12:50 PM
I watched the segment of Tomlins interview on the NFL channel. Tomlin said it's a different injury to the same knee. He didn't seem to be too alarmed about it or elude to, its something really bad.