PDA

View Full Version : My take on Cincy.

Stewie
11-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Ok, my blood pressure has come down to numbers that astronomers use, so I'll give you my take on yesterday's game. First, tip of the hat to Cincy. They have a good defense, especially their secondary. Second, Ben was inaccurate and made very poor decisions. He kept trying to hit the home run, instead of taking what the defense gave him. Several of the sacks were due to that decision-making. I didn't think the OL played that badly. Third, and this is a LONG-HELD peeve of mine, the Steelers need to scrap that empty backfield set, except maybe in Hail Mary time. I see no advantage to the 5-wide over 4-wide with MM in the backfield. BAD things happen when we go to that 5-wide set, very bad. It might be alright, if Ben would get rid of the ball pronto. One play in particular stands out in my mind. We were empty backfield (5-wide). Cincy lined up 7 in the box. The OL--correctly--pinched, leaving the LDE free. It's on Ben to get rid of the ball knowing there are more rushers than blockers. He didn't. Result: Sack. I hope that we don't use that 5-wide the rest of the year. Last, can Spaeth block anybody?

NorthCoast
11-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Ok, my blood pressure has come down to numbers that astronomers use, so I'll give you my take on yesterday's game. First, tip of the hat to Cincy. They have a good defense, especially their secondary. Second, Ben was inaccurate and made very poor decisions. He kept trying to hit the home run, instead of taking what the defense gave him. Several of the sacks were due to that decision-making. I didn't think the OL played that badly. Third, and this is a LONG-HELD peeve of mine, the Steelers need to scrap that empty backfield set, except maybe in Hail Mary time. I see no advantage to the 5-wide over 4-wide with MM in the backfield. BAD things happen when we go to that 5-wide set, very bad. It might be alright, if Ben would get rid of the ball pronto. One play in particular stands out in my mind. We were empty backfield (5-wide). Cincy lined up 7 in the box. The OL--correctly--pinched, leaving the LDE free. It's on Ben to get rid of the ball knowing there are more rushers than blockers. He didn't. Result: Sack. I hope that we don't use that 5-wide the rest of the year. Last, can Spaeth block anybody?

There was one play where Starks played a nice version of a statue and Johnson? ran right by him for a sack. Starks still struggles with the speed guys...but overall he played pretty well in this one.

Jom112
11-17-2009, 08:25 PM
There was one play where Starks played a nice version of a statue and Johnson? ran right by him for a sack. Starks still struggles with the speed guys...but overall he played pretty well in this one.

It was Michael Johnson (Guy in my sig). He's starting to learn some moves finally to get around OT's...