PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any news on Troy

steelerkeylargo
11-16-2009, 04:48 PM
seems eerily quiet on the national front!

SteelAbility
11-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Haven't heard anything. Luckily, next week is at KC and hopefully he can take the week off without jeapordizing a game. I wish we could get in OAK too before Baltimore. Sigh. :ratsuck

grotonsteel
11-16-2009, 04:53 PM
I read on some other board that as per Ed B it is MCL and he may be out for a week. If that is the case then it is good news.

Again we won't know anything until we hear it from Tomlin or from Troy P.

SteelAbility
11-16-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm very frustrated about TP. I love the guy. He has tremendous talent, skill, and instincts. My biggest gripe about him is that he doesn't know when to take his foot off the gas. It's all Tazmanian devil all the time. His attempt to pick up that blocked FG against Tennessee with Crumpler hovering right over the ball :wft was just plain stupid and, IMO has cost us 2 games (if he were in I believe we would have easily won the 1st game against CIN and against CHI). Now his latest leg tweak is probably spillover. There comes a time where you gotta have some risk/reward analysis in your game. Good grief!!!! Ok, rant over.

JAR
11-16-2009, 07:17 PM
MRI is negative, it's a sprained MCL again, but not as serious as last time.

NW Steeler
11-16-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm very frustrated about TP. I love the guy. He has tremendous talent, skill, and instincts. My biggest gripe about him is that he doesn't know when to take his foot off the gas. It's all Tazmanian devil all the time. His attempt to pick up that blocked FG against Tennessee with Crumpler hovering right over the ball :wft was just plain stupid and, IMO has cost us 2 games (if he were in I believe we would have easily won the 1st game against CIN and against CHI). Now his latest leg tweak is probably spillover. There comes a time where you gotta have some risk/reward analysis in your game. Good grief!!!! Ok, rant over.

If he played with the thought of not getting hurt, he wouldn't be the same player. He is what he is. Injuries happen.

SteelCrazy
11-16-2009, 07:25 PM
my only complaint is I think he came back too early.....He shoulkd have stayed out until this past Sunday.

RuthlessBurgher
11-16-2009, 08:06 PM
MRI is negative, it's a sprained MCL again, but not as serious as last time.

That's good news. At each change of possession, I kept focusing my binoculars over toward the Steeler sideline to see if I could find him. When he never even came back out, I feared the worst.

sd steel
11-16-2009, 08:59 PM

Are you serious?? Your biggest gripe on Troy is he plays too hard? That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Obviously you don't play sports. You are supposed to play every play like its your last. I coach kids and he is a role model that I point kids towards, because he always goes 110% 100 mph all of the time. And like the other poster stated, if you are worried about getting hurt....that's when it normally happens.

There is no time for risk/reward analysis on a football field, especially during the course of a 10 second play.

NKySteeler
11-16-2009, 09:09 PM
SportingNews.com saying Troy likely out 1-3 weeks.

4. Troy Polamalu, S, Steelers (knee sprain). Pittsburgh has quality depth, but without Polamalu it struggles to make game-changing takeaways, something it needed Sunday vs. the Bengals. Status: Likely out 1-3 weeks.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article ... s-struggle (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-11-16/week-10-checkdown-some-nfls-top-teams-struggle)

SteelCrazy
11-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Troy Polamalu (sprained knee) didn't suffer a season-ending injury Sunday against the Bengals. But he'll likely miss two-to-three weeks after injuring the same knee he hurt in the beginning of the season. Flashback to when Polamalu missed four games in September/October. The Steelers gave up plenty of passing yards and got few turnovers without Polamalu. Good thing Pittsburgh plays Kansas City and Oakland two of the next three weeks.

http://experts.sportingnews.com/blog/Fa ... od_for_rbs (http://experts.sportingnews.com/blog/FantasySourceBlitz/entry/view/43567/injury_roundup_not_looking_good_for_rbs)

pfelix73
11-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Ruthless- they said last night on the radio that he and the dr. heaeded to get an MRI while the game was going on... So, that's why you didn't see him over there. He wasn't even at the stadium.....FYI

:tt1

stlrz d
11-16-2009, 11:03 PM
my only complaint is I think he came back too early.....He shoulkd have stayed out until this past Sunday.

Are you Troy? Or his doc?

If a guy says he is ready to go and gets clearance to play...and if it's obvious to the coaches in practice that he can play...then he plays.

If the coaching staff felt it was too soon for him to come back then they would have made that call.

SteelAbility
11-17-2009, 07:45 AM

If he played with the thought of not getting hurt, he wouldn't be the same player. He is what he is. Injuries happen.

Dude, think BALANCE. If you are human, there has to be SOME of that. If you swing to either extreme you are losing. Troy is on the foot-on-the-gas-hard extreme all the time. It's better than the other extreme, but it's not nearly as good as "picking your battles." Picking a battle where you have to bend down and are temporarily in a position of weakness with a 285 pound behemoth hovering above you is just plain stupid.

SteelAbility
11-17-2009, 07:51 AM

Are you serious?? Your biggest gripe on Troy is he plays too hard? That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Obviously you don't play sports. You are supposed to play every play like its your last. I coach kids and he is a role model that I point kids towards, because he always goes 110% 100 mph all of the time. And like the other poster stated, if you are worried about getting hurt....that's when it normally happens.

There is no time for risk/reward analysis on a football field, especially during the course of a 10 second play.

NO. Read the post again. My complaint is that he doesn't know when to take his foot off the gas. That means that there are times when the best play involves "taking your foot off the gas." When you are driving and there is a 10-foot thick brick wall RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, it's time to take your foot off the gas, not drive like it's your last opportunity. Now that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. :roll: There are times when playing smart is better than "playing hard."

SteelCrazy
11-17-2009, 07:56 AM

If a guy says he is ready to go and gets clearance to play...and if it's obvious to the coaches in practice that he can play...then he plays.

If the coaching staff felt it was too soon for him to come back then they would have made that call.

A player like Troy is always going to say he is ready....You're right and so was Troy and the doctors....He was healed and that knee took an absolute beating against the Bungals. I'm surprised it is still attached to his leg.

stlrz d
11-17-2009, 08:50 AM

A player like Troy is always going to say he is ready....You're right and so was Troy and the doctors....He was healed and that knee took an absolute beating against the Bungals. I'm surprised it is still attached to his leg.

So when do you officially deem him "healed"? 6 weeks? 8 weeks? 12 weeks? Save him for the playoffs?

Wait...we made the playoffs...save him for next season?

Again, he said he was ready, the docs cleared him and the coaches saw in practice that he could play...so he played. That's the way it works.

stlrz d
11-17-2009, 08:51 AM

Dude, think BALANCE. If you are human, there has to be SOME of that. If you swing to either extreme you are losing. Troy is on the foot-on-the-gas-hard extreme all the time. It's better than the other extreme, but it's not nearly as good as "picking your battles." Picking a battle where you have to bend down and are temporarily in a position of weakness with a 285 pound behemoth hovering above you is just plain stupid.

Dude...give it up...you're wrong.

SteelAbility
11-17-2009, 09:22 AM
[quote=SteelAbility]I'm very frustrated about TP. I love the guy. He has tremendous talent, skill, and instincts. My biggest gripe about him is that he doesn't know when to take his foot off the gas. It's all Tazmanian devil all the time. His attempt to pick up that blocked FG against Tennessee with Crumpler hovering right over the ball :wft was just plain stupid and, IMO has cost us 2 games (if he were in I believe we would have easily won the 1st game against CIN and against CHI). Now his latest leg tweak is probably spillover. There comes a time where you gotta have some risk/reward analysis in your game. Good grief!!!! Ok, rant over.

Dude...give it up...you're wrong.[/quote:r8rtehxw]

No dude. YOU are wrong. Just like you were wrong with multiple over-confident "beat-down" predictions with the Bengals game. Lesson learned? I doubt it. In the aftermath, your posts were matter of fact. Well as a matter of fact, you were WAY OFF. OK. So stuff it. You're quick to point me out as wrong. Why don't you step up and take your medicine for that?

Now, that point aside, A person who is all out all the time with no regard to the situation is sacrificing best overall result. That is fact, period. From your avatar, I see you are likely into some kind of car racing. Next you go out racing, just keep pushing the gas harder and harder. It's the one incontrovertible truth of driving that the more you gas it the faster you go. So, the best driving strategy is to keep on gassing it no matter the situation. A turn in the road? No problem. Just gas it harder, you'll go faster. :roll:

NWNewell
11-17-2009, 09:48 AM

Your typical double edged sword. His energy is part of what makes him so great and so dangerous.... sometimes there are down sides.

It's like saying, "No, I won't accept that free Lamborghini... it uses too much gas."

No such thing as perfect. I'll take it if you won't.

NWNewell
11-17-2009, 09:54 AM
[quote=SteelAbility]I'm very frustrated about TP. I love the guy. He has tremendous talent, skill, and instincts. My biggest gripe about him is that he doesn't know when to take his foot off the gas. It's all Tazmanian devil all the time. His attempt to pick up that blocked FG against Tennessee with Crumpler hovering right over the ball :wft was just plain stupid and, IMO has cost us 2 games (if he were in I believe we would have easily won the 1st game against CIN and against CHI). Now his latest leg tweak is probably spillover. There comes a time where you gotta have some risk/reward analysis in your game. Good grief!!!! Ok, rant over.

No dude. YOU are wrong. Just like you were wrong with multiple over-confident "beat-down" predictions with the Bengals game. Lesson learned? I doubt it. In the aftermath, your posts were matter of fact. Well as a matter of fact, you were WAY OFF. OK. So stuff it. You're quick to point me out as wrong. Why don't you step up and take your medicine for that?

Now, that point aside, A person who is all out all the time with no regard to the situation is sacrificing best overall result. That is fact, period. From your avatar, I see you are likely into some kind of car racing. Next you go out racing, just keep pushing the gas harder and harder. It's the one incontrovertible truth of driving that the more you gas it the faster you go. So, the best driving strategy is to keep on gassing it no matter the situation. A turn in the road? No problem. Just gas it harder, you'll go faster. :roll:[/quote:3e7371tj]

SeelAbility, you're definitely wrong. If I'm Tomlin, I'm taking the whooping stick to any player that is not selling out on every play. You don't take plays off? Who do you think we are, a bunch of Randy Mosses?

Why do you think he comes up with so many big plays. Because he goes all out on every play. If he picks and chooses, then he doesn't make even half the plays he does. Because by the time you realize, "hey, I should try harder this time because I might be able to make a play" it's too late.... since you didn't give it your all from the beginning, you didn't get your self to the position where you have the opportunity to make a play.

We all can agree to disagree... because obviously there is no convincing you that you are wrong.

RuthlessBurgher
11-17-2009, 10:42 AM

Now, that point aside, A person who is all out all the time with no regard to the situation is sacrificing best overall result. That is fact, period. From your avatar, I see you are likely into some kind of car racing. Next you go out racing, just keep pushing the gas harder and harder. It's the one incontrovertible truth of driving that the more you gas it the faster you go. So, the best driving strategy is to keep on gassing it no matter the situation. A turn in the road? No problem. Just gas it harder, you'll go faster. :roll:[/quote:kig79mj8]

Easy Rider is not about car racing. And I doubt that Jack Nicholson would last very long in NASCAR. :wink:

http://www.whataboutclients.com/archives/EasyRider.jpg

SteelAbility
11-17-2009, 10:43 AM
SeelAbility, you're definitely wrong. If I'm Tomlin, I'm taking the whooping stick to any player that is not selling out on every play. You don't take plays off? Who do you think we are, a bunch of Randy Mosses?

Why do you think he comes up with so many big plays. Because he goes all out on every play. If he picks and chooses, then he doesn't make even half the plays he does. Because by the time you realize, "hey, I should try harder this time because I might be able to make a play" it's too late.... since you didn't give it your all from the beginning, you didn't get your self to the position where you have the opportunity to make a play.

We all can agree to disagree... because obviously there is no convincing you that you are wrong.

Maybe it's just me, but I think bending down into a position of physical disadvantage and weakness with an athletic 285 pound ogre hovering directly above you is just a little risky.

As far as Randy Moss goes, looking at it from the perspective of a potential playoff/Super Bowl rival, would you rather he be on the field against you or off the field because he wanted that extra 1/2 yard and was willing to take a flying hit from a safety who can bench 400 and squat 500? If he were on your team, would you ding him for trading off a bit of yardage so that he continue to be play, be healthy and be productive? If it was 4th down and he HAD to have the yards, yes I would ding him. Otherwise, not really. I would want him healthy and productive.

It boils down to this. You can't have it all. Everything is a trade-off. If you want more of one thing, you have to give up another. If you want all-out, balls-to-wall play on every single play no matter what the situation, then risk comes with it. As a matter of fact, during the SB years, the Patriots played this very way. They played all-out WHEN THEY HAD TO and let the other guys take all of the unnecessary risks. They risked only when they had to. When it wasn't necessary and there was risk involved, they backed off. They optimized their chances. We can scream about cheating all day and they may well have. But I recall watching play after play after play where they made good decisions on the football field, managing play-making in the "here and now" with the playmaking in the "next game" and "the one after that" and so on.

NWNewell
11-17-2009, 10:46 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I think bending down into a position of physical disadvantage and weakness with an athletic 285 pound ogre hovering directly above you is just a little risky.

As far as Randy Moss goes, looking at it from the perspective of a potential playoff/Super Bowl rival, would you rather he be on the field against you or off the field because he wanted that extra 1/2 yard and was willing to take a flying hit from a safety who can bench 400 and squat 500? If he were on your team, would you ding him for trading off a bit of yardage so that he continue to be play, be healthy and be productive? If it was 4th down and he HAD to have the yards, yes I would ding him. Otherwise, not really. I would want him healthy and productive.

It boils down to this. You can't have it all. Everything is a trade-off. If you want more of one thing, you have to give up another. If you want all-out, balls-to-wall play on every single play no matter what the situation, then risk comes with it. As a matter of fact, during the SB years, the Patriots played this very way. They played all-out WHEN THEY HAD TO and let the other guys take all of the unnecessary risks. They risked only when they had to. When it wasn't necessary and there was risk involved, they backed off. They optimized their chances. We can scream about cheating all day and they may well have. But I recall watching play after play after play where they made good decisions on the football field, managing play-making in the "here and now" with the playmaking in the "next game" and "the one after that" and so on.

Have you every played football?

If a guy plays "conservative" on a play, then the entire scheme is susceptible to breaking down and you get the kind of execution the Steelers had Sunday.

SteelAbility
11-17-2009, 11:06 AM

Have you every played football?

If a guy plays "conservative" on a play, then the entire scheme is susceptible to breaking down and you get the kind of execution the Steelers had Sunday.

I'm advocating conservative WHEN YOU HAVE TO BE and aggressive WHEN YOU HAVE TO BE. The majority case is aggressive and all out. Agreed. The minority case, if completely ignored, leads to problems. Picking your battles. That's all.

And, yes, I've played football, not in formal competition, but with competitive guys who play and want to win.

SteelAbility
11-17-2009, 11:31 AM
stlrz_d,

I apologize for my comments. I know we disagree a lot. I also agree with much of what you say. However, no matter what angle you slice it from, we are all Steel brethren. See you on the board. :)

stlrz d
11-18-2009, 12:14 AM
stlrz_d,

I apologize for my comments. I know we disagree a lot. I also agree with much of what you say. However, no matter what angle you slice it from, we are all Steel brethren. See you on the board. :)

No worries man.

I am a USC fan and a Steelers fan. Been watching Troy a long time. What he does is special and it's what makes Troy Troy. He's gotta play how he plays.