PDA

View Full Version : Grow up Santonio Holmes

grotonsteel
11-16-2009, 01:27 PM
http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg ... z0X2FFFnIv (http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/09320/1013797-66.stm#ixzz0X2FFFnIv)

"Ben threw a few short, high, [three] got batted down," said Santonio Holmes, who led the Steelers with seven catches for 88 yards.

How about taking some blame for dropping TD catch in the endzone. How about WRs getting separation from the CBs.

Holmes need to STFU...blame the loss on the team and not the QB alone.

steelerkeylargo
11-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Seriously!!! Cut the crappy muscle flex too!!!! :wft

AngryAsian
11-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Bonehead statement. Not something a team mate should say.

JTP53609
11-16-2009, 01:45 PM
ben should respond with....well yea, i led holmes pretty well just like last year in the super bowl and just like in the super bowl he dropped a touchdown only this time i did not have another chance to make a perfect throw to him again on the next play for him to steal all MY glory, but that is how YOU become great...

i really try to stick up for holmes sometimes, but it is becoming more hard to do.....that pass was partially tipped, ever so slightly, but it was a perfect pass otherwise, he needs to come down with that, maybe if ben threw it a little higher, because holmes likes to get high...

Mel Blount's G
11-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Not cool at all. I hope his teammates address it with him behind closed doors. Yeah, you don't hear Ben naming every dropped pass by his wr's after a loss

Jom112
11-16-2009, 02:23 PM
"We were just off," said Ward

That is what Holmes should have said...

rpmpit
11-16-2009, 03:49 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0751/4890/111432_feature.jpg

HEY, LOOK AT ME!!!

I HAVE TINY LITTLE ARMS BUT I CAN (SOMETIMES) CATCH THE BALL!!!

DOOSH :evil:

phillyesq
11-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Seriously!!! Cut the crappy muscle flex too!!!! :wft

I completely agree. His antics after each and every catch really annoy me. It annoys me even more when he does that crap and the Steelers are losing.

NW Steeler
11-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Add me to the list of people that are seriously tired of his act after a SIMPLE catch. He let a TD go right between his hands yesterday. Maybe he think he needs to make himself more visible since Wallace has taken some of his thunder away this year. The entire team looked a little constipated yesterday, for the lack of a better word. In fact, that is the best way to describe their play yesterday; CONSTIPATED.

SidSmythe
11-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Mike Wallace will make Holmes expendable when he wants a big ol' contract.
But SWEED needs to step up

fezziwig
11-16-2009, 08:28 PM
The fact is, they had a bad game at the worse possible time. Had this been a game that didn't have the playoffs and division riding on it, we would n't dwell too much about it.
They did blow it in a bad way and you would think with all that is riding upon it that , they would at least be able to manage one touchdown on their own field.

Didn't they play the Renegade song enough for them ?

What I'm tired of is, Santonio dropping the ball after each time he catches a pass and points. Win or lose, it makes no sense. I doubt the refs appreciate it. He did that in front of a ref yesterday and caused the guy to bend over and pick it up when, he could have just been modest.

Had I been the ref, I would have placed the ball a little less than earned.

sd steel
11-16-2009, 09:05 PM
The fact is, they had a bad game at the worse possible time. Had this been a game that didn't have the playoffs and division riding on it, we would n't dwell too much about it.
They did blow it in a bad way and you would think with all that is riding upon it that , they would at least be able to manage one touchdown on their own field.

What I'm tired of is, Santonio dropping the ball after each time he catches a pass and points. Win or lose, it makes no sense. I doubt the refs appreciate it. He did that in front of a ref yesterday and caused the guy to bend over and pick it up when, he could have just been modest.

I thought he was gonna get flagged for delay of game.....and he should have been. As far as his comments, I can't say he is wrong or inaccurate, and the pass he was slow to get around, and although it was on target,, it would have been highlight reel stuff if he pulled it in...basically it was almost uncatchable.

D Rock
11-16-2009, 11:02 PM
too many other players on this team have already been and will continue to need to get paid.

Holmes I doubt will be one of them. His contract is up after next season, right?

He's easily replaced by Wallace, replacing Ward is going to be the issue.

BATMAN
11-16-2009, 11:08 PM
I feel our Steelers laid an egg. Props to the Bengals but, they shouldn't have been able to come into our house and shut out or offense for TD'S. The finger should point to BA because, he doesn't seem to know how to confront the opposition when they are going fist to cuffs with our offense.
I realize coaches coach and players play but these players are being run by the coaches and trying to execute BA's scheme. BA didn't allow the run or the short passes enough chances against the Bengals.

BA needs to learn how to think out side the box. The game almost reminded me of the time when, Robin and I were placed inside two large snow cones by Mr. Freeze, thought we were goners but furtunately, BA wasn't calling the plays and we managed to get our Bat Butts the heck out of the situation.

Mel Blount's G
11-16-2009, 11:25 PM

I thought he was gonna get flagged for delay of game.....and he should have been. As far as his comments, I can't say he is wrong or inaccurate, and the pass he was slow to get around, and although it was on target,, it would have been highlight reel stuff if he pulled it in...basically it was almost uncatchable.
Nobody in this thread argued whether his comments were accurate or not. But I hope you see our point: That this kind of comment spouted off to the media is detrimental to team unity. This is something you say in the locker room to your teammates and coaches, not to some reporter.

fordfixer
11-16-2009, 11:26 PM
[quote=fezziwig]The fact is, they had a bad game at the worse possible time. Had this been a game that didn't have the playoffs and division riding on it, we would n't dwell too much about it.

Nobody in this thread argued whether his comments were accurate or not. But I hope you see our point: That this kind of comment spouted off to the media is detrimental to team unity. This is something you say in the locker room to your teammates and coaches, not to some reporter.[/quote:1uqdpu4s]

:Clap :Clap :Clap

sd steel
11-16-2009, 11:46 PM
[quote=fezziwig]The fact is, they had a bad game at the worse possible time. Had this been a game that didn't have the playoffs and division riding on it, we would n't dwell too much about it.

Nobody in this thread argued whether his comments were accurate or not. But I hope you see our point: That this kind of comment spouted off to the media is detrimental to team unity. This is something you say in the locker room to your teammates and coaches, not to some reporter.

:Clap :Clap :Clap[/quote:38945vw5]

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to have Ben brought back to earth, by a teammate, in the media, plus it's not like every single one of you wasn't thinking the same thing. If it upsets ben and team unity, you will know next week, because Holmes won't sniff a ball. Holmes knows that he depends on ben, not only for us to win, but for him to make the big money on his next contract. It's a non story IMO.

stlrz d
11-16-2009, 11:54 PM
You don't point fingers at your teammates in the media. Period.

Holmes needs to take a lesson from Ben on that one.

sd steel
11-17-2009, 12:37 AM
You don't point fingers at your teammates in the media. Period.

I wouldn't call that "pointing fingers" the media probably asked him how ben played, and he said something like, "Ben is an awesome QB and he has been having a great season, but the Bengals got in his face and Ben threw a few short, high, [three] got batted down, it was a tough day for everyone."

There is nothing to see here!!!
:lol:

RuthlessBurgher
11-17-2009, 02:43 AM
The game almost reminded me of the time when, Robin and I were placed inside two large snow cones by Mr. Freeze, thought we were goners but furtunately, BA wasn't calling the plays and we managed to get our Bat Butts the heck out of the situation.

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/d/b/0/db0b0d02cab28b961c1eba43cf127caa.jpg

stlrz d
11-17-2009, 08:47 AM
[quote="stlrz d":2dkcpk3t]You don't point fingers at your teammates in the media. Period.

I wouldn't call that "pointing fingers" the media probably asked him how ben played, and he said something like, "Ben is an awesome QB and he has been having a great season, but the Bengals got in his face and Ben threw a few short, high, [three] got batted down, it was a tough day for everyone."

There is nothing to see here!!!
:lol:[/quote:2dkcpk3t]

And what he should have said was, "We all had an off day...next question"

So easy a caveman can do it.

Holmes is an idiot for saying what he said.

NWNewell
11-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Holmes knows that he depends on ben, not only for us to win, but for him to make the big money on his next contract. It's a non story IMO.

Catching TD passes that are in his bread basket would go a lot farther to getting a nice contract.

Holmes has no right to point any fingers. That TD throw that went through Holmes' hands was pathetic. That was just as much the difference in the game as Cincy's TD runback.

He flexes like his tough with his tiny arms but he has yet to establish himself as a great WR. Hines is stride for stride with the "superstar" and he should be in the twilight of his career. What dos that tell you.... you're good, Holmes, but not that good.

His hands have been unreliable at times quite often, this year, last year, and throughout his career. Heck, even the superbowl... everyone remembers the game winning catch to claim SB MVP, but they quickly forget that he was almost the SB Goat because the play right before he let an easy one go right through his finger tips. He's lucky he got a chance to redeem himself in that game.

Don't get me wring, holmes is a very good WR and an asset to the Steelers, but he hasn't earned the right to flex, point fingers, or anything else yet. He should take a page from the guys that actually have earned it like Ward, TP, Arron Smith.

Mel Blount's G
11-17-2009, 10:52 AM
[quote="sd steel":1jo3u2lz][quote=fezziwig]The fact is, they had a bad game at the worse possible time. Had this been a game that didn't have the playoffs and division riding on it, we would n't dwell too much about it.

:Clap :Clap :Clap[/quote:1jo3u2lz]

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to have Ben brought back to earth, by a teammate, in the media, plus it's not like every single one of you wasn't thinking the same thing. If it upsets ben and team unity, you will know next week, because Holmes won't sniff a ball. Holmes knows that he depends on ben, not only for us to win, but for him to make the big money on his next contract. It's a non story IMO.[/quote:1jo3u2lz]
Actually sd, I will concede and say you may have made a legitimate point here that I hadn't previously considered. Especially if the whole offense, including the coaches, are all thinking Ben has been a little full of himself lately and maybe needed a public reminder that he is not Superman. Might have been easier for some of us to stomach if it was Hines who said it though. But maybe, just maybe, it did need to be said publicly. Maybe... Normally, as I said earlier, this should have been dealt with out the public scrutiny. But maybe certain players do need an ego check that comes from media attention? Hard to say regarding Ben because I don't know what the dynamics are of our team behind closed doors right now. By all accounts he seems to be a respected leader on the team but maybe were not the only ones who noticed he was at the bar 'till 2 am before this big game? In the past, it seems to have been a strength (our team unity) but who's to know for sure...

RuthlessBurgher
11-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Everyone keeps talking about Holmes' "drop" in the end zone, but that ball was tipped by the defender at the last second. That changes things from a routine catch to an exceedingly difficult catch.

In hockey, there is a reason that guys camp out in front of the goalie and try to redirect slapshots. Even the slightest change of direction and velocity of the puck can turn what would be a routine save into a goal.

That is what Santonio experienced. That slight change of direction and velocity of the ball ended up making a routine catch that much more difficult.

BDESteel
11-17-2009, 12:03 PM
But SWEED needs to step upStopped reading when I got to here.

Sid, I agree with you 100% that Wallace will make Holmes expendable. I don't know about Sweed though. We should get another receiver in the draft to bring along.

I said it a few weeks ago and I'll say it again. Holmes is not the man! He can play but his attitude really sucks. Maybe someone will help him that, if so he should be all right.

ikestops85
11-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Everyone keeps talking about Holmes' "drop" in the end zone, but that ball was tipped by the defender at the last second. That changes things from a routine catch to an exceedingly difficult catch.

In hockey, there is a reason that guys camp out in front of the goalie and try to redirect slapshots. Even the slightest change of direction and velocity of the puck can turn what would be a routine save into a goal.

That is what Santonio experienced. That slight change of direction and velocity of the ball ended up making a routine catch that much more difficult.

If that ball was tipped then I have to take back all the names I was calling Holmes after that play. I didn't see that it was tipped but if it was that makes a big difference.

Having said that there is still no reason for Holmes to make the comment he made. I wonder how he would feel if Ben said "Well, my TD to INT ratio would be better this year but Tone has dropped a couple TDs and so have the other receivers"? Stupid thing to say to a reporter no matter what the locker room dynamics are. If someone is gonna criticize the players to the media it should come from Tomlin and only Tomlin. :evil:

frankthetank1
11-17-2009, 12:37 PM
i hate his comment to the media, the stupid muscle flex and last seasons incident but holmes has to be re-signed. his potential hasnt even peaked, he is still young. also ward is pretty old, wallace looks like he will be a very good wr, but they have nothing after holmes, ward and wallace. holmes will grow up but as far as a contract this and last years incident will not prevent that. this isnt a big deal, but i understand he shouldnt of said what he said

feltdizz
11-17-2009, 12:39 PM
you guys are way too sensitive after a loss where Ben looked like schitzle.. someone had to say it and Holmes did..

I'm not saying he was right but who cares.. this team is bigger then a good WR stating the obvious. People act like if he said "we" had some passes batted down it would make things better.. we know who the QB is and he played poorly.

definitely a move on moment...

feltdizz
11-17-2009, 12:43 PM
i hate his comment to the media, the stupid muscle flex and last seasons incident but holmes has to be re-signed. his potential hasnt even peaked, he is still young. also ward is pretty old, wallace looks like he will be a very good wr, but they have nothing after holmes, ward and wallace. holmes will grow up but as far as a contract this and last years incident will not prevent that. this isnt a big deal, but i understand he shouldnt of said what he said

definitely have to resign him.. I hate the muscle pose.. but only when we are losing..LOL!!
I'm not saying he was right for what he said but c'mon.. it's not like he is out for the season and won't see Ben again this year.

Ben has said and done stupid things as well.. they are athelets. I just want Santonio to show our O how to "BE GREAT" :D

grotonsteel
11-17-2009, 01:37 PM

definitely have to resign him.. I hate the muscle pose.. but only when we are losing..LOL!!
I'm not saying he was right for what he said but c'mon.. it's not like he is out for the season and won't see Ben again this year.

Ben has said and done stupid things as well.. they are athelets. I just want Santonio to show our O how to "BE GREAT" :D

Resign him but if he is asking for Top-3 WR money i would like Steelers to spend that money on a WR like Anquan Boldin.

frankthetank1
11-17-2009, 01:46 PM

Resign him but if he is asking for Top-3 WR money i would like Steelers to spend that money on a WR like Anquan Boldin.

no way holmes is worth top 3 wr money. i hate boldin's attitude but a wr that caliber is worth that kind of contract, not holmes. the sb mvp will help him out in negotiations but i still dont think he has earned top wr money. he has to be a lot more consistent

ikestops85
11-17-2009, 01:55 PM
you guys are way too sensitive after a loss where Ben looked like schitzle.. someone had to say it and Holmes did..

I'm not saying he was right but who cares.. this team is bigger then a good WR stating the obvious. People act like if he said "we" had some passes batted down it would make things better.. we know who the QB is and he played poorly.

At the risk of repeating myself ... do you think Holmes would have been okay with Ben saying after the Bears game "We would have had them but Tone dropped a perfectly thrown ball that should have been a TD" even though it would have been stating the obvious?

Take away last years playoff games and Tone hasn't been a very good receiver for us. He dropped many balls and missed many hot routes last year and this year he has also had a lot of drops. The guys is starting to remind me of Plax with his inconsistent play ... great one game and sucks the next.

steelblood
11-17-2009, 04:43 PM
But SWEED needs to step up

Really? I'm all for positive thinking, but I don't know about that.

skyhawk
11-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Screw holmes. He has no one else to blame but himself.

I was at the game and saw he had a hard time getting open in 1-1 coverage and no safety help. The Bengals have two of the best CB's in the game.

But, it was Ben's fault on the final drive when he went deep for Wallace who was double covered while Holmes was wide open and had created separation.

Holmes has definitely overrated himself though in how he shows off.

feltdizz
11-17-2009, 05:43 PM

At the risk of repeating myself ... do you think Holmes would have been okay with Ben saying after the Bears game "We would have had them but Tone dropped a perfectly thrown ball that should have been a TD" even though it would have been stating the obvious?

Take away last years playoff games and Tone hasn't been a very good receiver for us. He dropped many balls and missed many hot routes last year and this year he has also had a lot of drops. The guys is starting to remind me of Plax with his inconsistent play ... great one game and sucks the next.

I would much rather have a sleepy regular season WR who plays big in the playoffs then have a Wr who disappears in the clutch... Holmes damn near wlked us to the SB with his PR and zig zag TD in 2 home playoff games... Add to it the incredible SB he had and there is no way I go after a hyped up WR who fades in big games and argues with coaches and teammates on the sideline.

Holmes is still growing...

BATMAN
11-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Despite all the negative stuff about Smokey, I still hope he remains a Steeler and signs again. As long as he doesn't break the bank.
I hate his muscle pose, after the catch point and drop too. As Hines Ward said earlier this year, " he needs to act like he's been there before and he has been there before. " " Santonio needs to grow up "

Not to start the thread in a different direction, I don't care for Kiesels rowboating skit. It's just stupid.

Joe Green, Greg Llyod, LC. Greenwood to name a few did their jobs and at the most, gave or got a high five for their efforts. Those guys were team members and not, look at me, I did what I was paid to do now shine the spot light and attention upon me.

stlrz d
11-18-2009, 12:18 AM

I would much rather have a sleepy regular season WR who plays big in the playoffs then have a Wr who disappears in the clutch... Holmes damn near wlked us to the SB with his PR and zig zag TD in 2 home playoff games... Add to it the incredible SB he had and there is no way I go after a hyped up WR who fades in big games and argues with coaches and teammates on the sideline.

Holmes is still growing...

Why did you avoid the question?

I put it in red in case you missed it.

RuthlessBurgher
11-18-2009, 02:10 AM
Not to start the thread in a different direction, I don't care for Kiesels rowboating skit. It's just stupid.

I actually don't mind Keisel's celebrations because he changes 'em up all the time, but they are all outdoor-related, which is different. One game he may paddle the canoe, the next game he may shoot the arrow, and later he'll chop the wood, etc.

The one I don't like from Holmes is when he points at the nameplate on the back of his jersey. That just reeks of self-adulation to me.

fezziwig
11-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Santonio has been in love with himself since the Super Bowl.

NWNewell
11-18-2009, 10:04 AM

and that was luck.... he totally blew the first TD catch that went right through his mits. Lucky Ben went back to him on the other side of the endzone or he might have been the SB Goat instead of SB MVP.

steelsnis
11-18-2009, 10:49 AM

and that was luck....

Easy there...let's not get crazy. I don't care if you hate the guy's celebrations or whatever, but there was nothing lucky about the grab he made in the SB. Unbelieveable catch and the toe-tap was phenomenal.

Santonio does not necessarily fit the "typical" Steeler mold. But he's a helluva player who complements the other receivers on this team very well. I wouldn't go insane with a contract for him, but I definitely want him around.

The other thing about his quote is context. You don't know how the rest of the conversation went. It very well could have been something that wasn't intended to throw Ben under the bus, but in the context it was shown in the paper, it looked like it.

fezziwig
11-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Lets not confuse my distain for a players show boating vs. wanting him on the team.
Despite Smokeys little ego stunts, I want him on the team. When he is hitting on all cylinders, the guy is magic. I don't know what Santonio said about Ben or as someone mentioned, who knows if his comment had more girth than what we've heard.
They edit this stuff and you don't always get the full story or meaning.
The Super Bowl TD was one for the ages and all TD catches in the Super Bowl will be help up to Santonios.

Other than his me attitude, he does show up or plays the game weak at times. Just the drops, or letting the ball go through his hands more than anything it seems. Really can't say if it's his fault or not. Ben does seem to rifle the ball and the camera angle may not be telling us the truth.

NWNewell
11-18-2009, 02:12 PM

and that was luck....

Easy there...let's not get crazy. I don't care if you hate the guy's celebrations or whatever, but there was nothing lucky about the grab he made in the SB. Unbelieveable catch and the toe-tap was phenomenal.

Read the rest of my post. It wasn't "the catch" that was luck. He was lucky Ben went back to him and he got a second chance. He totally blew the first TD pass the play before just like this past Sunday. He was lucky to get a second chance. Not too many people get two opportunities to make a SB winning catch that earns you the SB MVP.

grotonsteel
11-18-2009, 02:27 PM

and that was luck....

Read the rest of my post. It wasn't "the catch" that was luck. He was lucky Ben went back to him and he got a second chance. He totally blew the first TD pass the play before just like this past Sunday. He was lucky to get a second chance. Not too many people get two opportunities to make a SB winning catch that earns you the SB MVP.

:Clap :Agree

stlrz d
11-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Lets not confuse my distain for a players show boating vs. wanting him on the team.
Despite Smokeys little ego stunts, I want him on the team. When he is hitting on all cylinders, the guy is magic. I don't know what Santonio said about Ben or as someone mentioned, who knows if his comment had more girth than what we've heard.
They edit this stuff and you don't always get the full story or meaning.
The Super Bowl TD was one for the ages and all TD catches in the Super Bowl will be help up to Santonios.

Other than his me attitude, he does show up or plays the game weak at times. Just the drops, or letting the ball go through his hands more than anything it seems. Really can't say if it's his fault or not. Ben does seem to rifle the ball and the camera angle may not be telling us the truth.

Which is why you just don't say anything if you're smart.

Mel Blount's G
11-19-2009, 06:15 PM

I actually don't mind Keisel's celebrations because he changes 'em up all the time, but they are all outdoor-related, which is different. One game he may paddle the canoe, the next game he may shoot the arrow, and later he'll chop the wood, etc.

The one I don't like from Holmes is when he points at the nameplate on the back of his jersey. That just reeks of self-adulation to me.
I haven't seen his canoe paddling (if that is, in fact, the one you're referring to) once this year. I've only seen him do his bow and arrow. He did the canoe in the playoff game vs. the chargers last year

The cool thing about keisel's is that they are unique and original. He came up with his own thing which reflect his personality (an outdoorsman as Batman said). I reall do not mind a good sack or td celebration now and then. I'm especially for them if it gets a player fired up or distracts an opponent from their focus. S'tones was sill to me for a number of reasons: a) It is not original. Half the league does the bicep flexing. Also, the first down signalling is hardly original. b) He hasn't done them lately after a TD or a circus/amazing catch. He's done them after routine plays. Leaves him looking the fool imo. Save it for a huge play or a winning TD S'tone

proudpittsburgher
11-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Add me to the list of people who are really growing tired of Santonio's act. I HATED the thumbs to the nameplatething and I really hate the muscle flex too. Though, I hate it most because I really wanted him to take over a leadership role from Hines, whenever he decides to retire, and it is readily apparent he can't handle that responsibility. I think I am more disappointed than anything. He is, or at least can become a really great player in this league, but this isn't Steelers football, and if he can't handle that then he has to leave. Other players celebrate as well, which is pointed out in this thread, but I never feel like they feel they are bigger than the team. I di feel that way with Santonio . . . I hope I am wrong about that.