PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Opinion on the No-huddle?

Flasteel
11-15-2009, 08:11 PM
There has been some discussion on this board about whether or not the no-huddle is our most productive package or not. Personally, I feel that it has proven to be almost unstoppable when unleashed on our opponents. I don't have the data to back this up (I wish someone would unearth it), but for me it's as obvious as the bumps on Kordell Stewart's face.

I'm in no way suggesting that it becomes our base offense or even predominant attack. What I am saying is that in games we struggle offensively, it needs to be a weapon that is deployed without hesitation. How we can struggle offensively like this and have such problems in pass pro without going to it is unconscionable.

Am I in the minority in this thinking?

What say you Steeler Nation?

JAR
11-15-2009, 08:16 PM
I agree. I was screaming for it most of the day.

Vindrow
11-15-2009, 09:18 PM
My opinion....they should have started with the no huddle from the first play of the game and stayed with it till the end.

stlrz d
11-15-2009, 09:22 PM
My opinion on the no huddle?

http://www.hannasolutions.com/DaGFFL/2005/week4/oliver_twist_begging.jpeg

Please sir, may I have some more?

papillon
11-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Today was the perfect day to go to the no-huddle. The base offense was moving the ball, but not with ease and then in the second half not at all. The no-huddle would have been a good way to try and change the pace of the game and get some mismatches by not letting the Bengals change personnel.

I believe that Tomlin or Arians was leery of going no-huddle in case it failed and the defense had to get back on the field quickly. Still, they should have tried it at least once.

Pappy

JAR
11-15-2009, 09:28 PM
My opinion....they should have started with the no huddle from the first play of the game and stayed with it till the end.

They'd never be able to do it. It's hard on the defense it's being run against, but it's very tiring to the offense too.

stlrz d
11-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Today was the perfect day to go to the no-huddle. The base offense was moving the ball, but not with ease and then in the second half not at all. The no-huddle would have been a good way to try and change the pace of the game and get some mismatches by not letting the Bengals change personnel.

I believe that Tomlin or Arians was leery of going no-huddle in case it failed and the defense had to get back on the field quickly. Still, they should have tried it at least once.

Pappy

They did try it once for a couple of plays. Then a Bengal DB got hurt, play stopped, the Bengals subbed and we never saw it again.

NWNewell
11-15-2009, 09:33 PM

They'd never be able to do it. It's hard on the defense it's being run against, but it's very tiring to the offense too.

So... the offense should have been well rested... they were only on the filed for about 3 plays at a time... on average :wink:

I was looking for the no-huddle from the second position in the second half on... but it never came out. I agree with Pappy.... this is the perfect situation to use it. Change the pace and try to get the D out of their rhythm. Another genius BA decision?

Scarletfire1970
11-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Ben was off today, perhaps they were leary of running the no huddle.

DHSF
11-21-2009, 02:04 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the Steelers ran the no huddle 3 timies last Sunday to no avail. Usually it works great, but last week nothing seemed to work for the offense.

sd steel
11-21-2009, 02:12 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the Steelers ran the no huddle 3 timies last Sunday to no avail. Usually it works great, but last week nothing seemed to work for the offense.

Yeah but normally Ben calls his own plays in the no-huddle, but this week Arians called them.....so it didn't work.

Flasteel
11-21-2009, 02:21 AM

I think you're mistaken. Arians did say they went to it once to try and get a spark. I didn't see it. There's no way I missed three series where we tried it. If we only went to it once, then I'd say that wasn't giving it enough of a chance. Who knows...Ben had a bad game and he could have screwed up any further attempts.

sd steel
11-21-2009, 02:27 AM

I think you're mistaken. Arians did say they went to it once to try and get a spark. I didn't see it. There's no way I missed three series where we tried it. If we only went to it once, then I'd say that wasn't giving it enough of a chance. Who knows...Ben had a bad game and he could have screwed up any further attempts.

Its 1030, but I'm gonna rewatch the game now and I will let you know when Im done. Because Im not sure either.

Flasteel
11-21-2009, 02:41 AM

Its 1030, but I'm gonna rewatch the game now and I will let you know when Im done. Because Im not sure either.

That sounds pretty torturous. Better you than me.

sd steel
11-21-2009, 04:04 AM

That sounds pretty torturous. Better you than me.

Well, I rewatched, and yes it was tortuous. You cant tell half the time whether they are huddling or not. But the first 2 sacks were on Ben, and almost every play there is a man open underneith.. It sems like Ben doesn't know where his receivers are. Maybe Bruce isn't telling Ben to hit the open guy.

Shoe
11-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah but normally Ben calls his own plays in the no-huddle, but this week Arians called them.....so it didn't work.

We all feel like no-huddle is great for us; but there (above) I think, lies one of the problems. Arians' ego won't just let him hand over the play-call duties to the QB.

If you can run "fastbreak" football on opposing defenses (and imagine all the Hampton-like fatties that could be exploited), that would be great to do--if not for a whole game (I don't advocate completely going no-huddle) but maybe 30/70?