PDA

View Full Version : The bombs to Wallace

SteelCrazy
11-15-2009, 05:46 PM
What was Ben doing? Hoping the rookie could make a play? I can understand one bomb to keep the bungles honest, but 3 time? all three times he wasnt even close to open and two of them could have been picked.

Very frustrating game.....

steelz09
11-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Outside of the one that resulted in the pass interference call, none even had a chance...

They were basically hail mary passes that were a waste of a down. They were thrown in double and triple coverage and it was much more likely that they resulted in an INT than a completed pass.

SteelCrazy
11-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Outside of the one that resulted in the pass interference call, none even had a chance...

They were basically hail mary passes that were a waste of a down. They were thrown in double and triple coverage and it was much more likely that they resulted in an INT than a completed pass.

The sad thing is I was not even counting the one that was flagged for PI.......Maybe that was what Ben was hoping for every time........

BURGH86STEEL
11-15-2009, 05:52 PM
What was Ben doing? Hoping the rookie could make a play? I can understand one bomb to keep the bungles honest, but 3 time? all three times he wasnt even close to open and two of them could have been picked.

Very frustrating game.....

Ben needs to continue to work on his deep passes to develop more consistency.

Starlifter
11-15-2009, 06:41 PM
I have said over the years Ben's biggest weakness is his deep ball. the flat out suck. I don't know if he got the memo, but wallace is pretty fast. to continually underthrow the ball......yuck. even the TD pass last game didn't hit wallace in stride he had to stop for the ball. it's something ben really needs to work on.

having said that, i like stretching the field and think we need to do it more often. to do it though WHEN we did it this game was crazy. we stopped ourselves on the last 2 drives of the game by going deep on first down. it was ridiculous. as soon as we missed it on the possession with around 7:30 to go i told my wife that will probably decide the game.

look we're 6-3 with some nice games ahead. the sky isn't falling and there's no panic. it's just a part of the offense that needs some work.

steelblood
11-15-2009, 07:29 PM
On one of them Wallace had to really slow down to make a play on the ball. It was there. But, Ben underthrew him woefully.

Mel Blount's G
11-15-2009, 08:19 PM
I'd like Wallace to challenge Ben to EVER overthrow him on that route.

I would have liked to see a few more heath balls in today's game

JTP53609
11-16-2009, 01:14 PM
tunch and wolf said that they were looking for the Pass interference and thats why they did it....WOW, talk about chicken$hit, if that is true than lets not even go to playoffs if your counting on winning by penalties...

Jom112
11-16-2009, 01:18 PM
They were thrown in double and triple coverage and it was much more likely that they resulted in an INT than a completed pass.

Both teams dropped a lot of potential INT's...

Jigawatts
11-16-2009, 02:29 PM
You can't say bomb on a message board.

Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb

RuthlessBurgher
11-16-2009, 02:38 PM

MESSAGE BOARD TERRORIST!!!!

ARRRRRRRGHH!!!!!!!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Arians need to realize that a go route with Wallace off playaction won't work. Run a post...Run a post corner...run a flag route! No...Have him run a go with a CB trailing him and a S sitting on the hash 15-20 yards down the field waiting for him. A QB who could throw the ball 100 yards would have trouble fitting that ball in there. Let's see...The hardest course is a road course...than the oval...than the drag strip. Does that make the light go on Bruce?

ikestops85
11-16-2009, 03:40 PM
The underthrown deep ball is not such a bad play. As I recall Jim Plunkett made a career out of throwing that type of pass to Cliff Branch. The problem is our receivers aren't very good at adjusting to the ball. They should be picking the ball up before the DB and putting on the brakes hard. Then the DB runs past them and they make the catch or the DB runs into them and we get a PI.

That last deep ball to Wallace he should have drawn the PI but he didn't come back for the ball very aggressively. As it was it could have been called but Wallace should have made sure it was obvious.

NorthCoast
11-17-2009, 07:27 PM
If Wallace was double or tripled, why wasn't the underneath stuff open, or was it? I am wondering if it was a case of Ben getting frustrated and impatient.

Did anyone notice ANY half-time adjustments on Offense? It sure looked like the same-o, same-o to me. Also how come Arians needs a cheat sheet when we NEVER see LeBeau with one? I think in-game adjustments are the weakest part of Arians game. And if Ben truly calls 40% of the plays, then he is at fault as well.

jj28west
11-17-2009, 07:41 PM
If Wallace was double or tripled, why wasn't the underneath stuff open, or was it? I am wondering if it was a case of Ben getting frustrated and impatient.

Did anyone notice ANY half-time adjustments on Offense? It sure looked like the same-o, same-o to me. Also how come Arians needs a cheat sheet when we NEVER see LeBeau with one? I think in-game adjustments are the weakest part of Arians game. And if Ben truly calls 40% of the plays, then he is at fault as well.

I think this was already brought up but does anyone know what offensive coaches sit in the booth to look at Defensive formations or at least tendencies of where the defense is going on plays? As much as I hate the SOB's Brady, Moss & Manning I see them always chatting around pictures (maybe illegally captured) of the overhead shots of the defense coverages and disguises on certain down and distance plays.

As far as adjustment I really have appreciated how well the Defense has adjusted to the point where it almost looks like the Defense is very vanilla on the first series to set up the offense with false confidence. When the D sees something that is a new wrinke or experiences a key injury they seem to address the fire almost immediately.

SteelCrazy
11-17-2009, 07:48 PM

MESSAGE BOARD TERRORIST!!!!

ARRRRRRRGHH!!!!!!!

I KNOW MY RIGHTS!! I want a phone call.....NOW!

RuthlessBurgher
11-18-2009, 01:51 AM
Also how come Arians needs a cheat sheet when we NEVER see LeBeau with one?

This would be my best guess:

Ben has a wristband with numbered plays on it. Arians' sheet has the plays numbered the same way. When Arians calls a play, he can radio it into Ben using only the number. Streamlines the process. Farrior does not wear one of the QB wristband thingees, so LeBeau is not giving him any numbers through the defensive radio helmet.

skyhawk
11-18-2009, 02:25 AM
I was at the game and during Ben's last throw to Wallace, who was doubled covered, Holmes was wide open.

Steeler Mafia
11-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Not to bring back an old topic, but are some of you saying that Ben's passes to Wallace were "underthrown"? :?:

Just checking... :mrgreen: