PDA

View Full Version : completion percentage and QB ratings = more sacks

feltdizz
11-15-2009, 05:45 PM
not sure if the sack was on 3rd down but will Ben ever throw a pass out of the endzone or is he protecting his completion percentage?

I was watching some NFL show and they put up the most QB sacks since 2007...
Ben was the only one on that list with a winning record and legit team. All the rest were trash teams..

made me wonder if Ben takes sacks instead of throwing passes away to protect his completion percentage. I know.. after a loss I tend to over analyze but hey...

those 4 pump sacks end up killing drives.... oh well.

BURGH86STEEL
11-15-2009, 05:50 PM
not sure if the sack was on 3rd down but will Ben ever throw a pass out of the endzone or is he protecting his completion percentage?

Ben was the only one on that list with a winning record and legit team. All the rest were trash teams..

made me wonder if Ben takes sacks instead of throwing passes away to protect his completion percentage. I know.. after a loss I tend to over analyze but hey...

Ben is one reason the sack numbers have been high. I guess it is something that we have to live with as Ben fans. I don't think Ben will ever continue to stop working to improve in areas of his game.

papillon
11-15-2009, 09:56 PM

Ben is one reason the sack numbers have been high. I guess it is something that we have to live with as Ben fans. I don't think Ben will ever continue to stop working to improve in areas of his game.

And, he'll never believe that a play is done until he is on the ground. Even today as he was being sacked you could see that he was still looking to unload the ball to anyone. He plays the position in a very unique way and no one can really get their arms around his style. Some hate it, some love it and aome can't even explain it, but it's how he plays and that isn't changing.

I personally like it, it's exciting, it's different, and it's successful, what more can you ask for?

Pappy

NWNewell
11-15-2009, 10:56 PM

No.... it's just the way he plays the game. did it when his percentage was poor.... does it when it's good. I can't believe he does it simply to try to help his stats a percentage point or two. If he was that shallow... he wouldn't be a Steeler.

Scarletfire1970
11-15-2009, 10:58 PM

He takes a sack in an effort to make the big play. He doesn't give up on plays ever.

feltdizz
11-15-2009, 11:19 PM
I know! When it works its great...

but when it doesn't its frustrating.

grotonsteel
11-15-2009, 11:58 PM

Say its 3rd and 7 in the red zone. Big Ben will extend the play to have WR open in the end zone instead of a 3-yd dump pass. Taking a sack and losing 5-6 yards is not going to impact much in that scenario or throwing the ball away is not going to help.

I like how Big Ben thinks and play. Is it frustrating sometimes..hell yes but it's exciting and he is successful. NFL has never seen a QB like Big Ben.

feltdizz
11-16-2009, 12:52 AM

Say its 3rd and 7 in the red zone. Big Ben will extend the play to have WR open in the end zone instead of a 3-yd dump pass. Taking a sack and losing 5-6 yards is not going to impact much in that scenario or throwing the ball away is not going to help.

I like how Big Ben thinks and play. Is it frustrating sometimes..hell yes but it's exciting and he is successful. NFL has never seen a QB like Big Ben.

I know it's exciting to watch when it works... when it's 2nd and goal and Ben takes a sack and we end up with 3rd and 15,
kick a fg and up getting swept by the bengals it's frustrating.

NWNewell
11-16-2009, 11:18 AM

I know it's exciting to watch when it works... when it's 2nd and goal and Ben takes a sack and we end up with 3rd and 15,
kick a fg and up getting swept by the bengals it's frustrating.

You forget about a couple of plays where his holding onto the ball and scrambling resulted in completions and kept drives a live to even get in field goal range.
- Scramble for a first down with 6:56 left in the first quarter.
- Pass to Homes with 7:03 left in the second quarter
- Pass to Heath (don't remember exactly when... but it was a double pump in a tight pocket)

RuthlessBurgher
11-16-2009, 05:25 PM

If he was so worried about his completion percentage, then he would throw a whole bunch of dump off passes instead of chucking the ball 40 yards downfield.

flippy
11-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Ben's a big play guy and a risk taker. He's not worried about stats. He's trying to make a play.

papillon
11-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Ben's a big play guy and a risk taker. He's not worried about stats. He's trying to make a play.

Quoted for truth!

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
11-18-2009, 02:32 AM
how many of the sacks we had on palmer could have been thrown away?

both harrison and woodley sack took a while to get to him.

and while a INC is better then a sack.

a sack is also better then an INT